main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Nidrails artwork-update 5/9-SW WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Nidrail, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    [:D] Thank you! Okay about the face, I didn't spend a lot of time on that because I was supposed to be focusing on the costume :D but any little critizicm (sp?) helps!

Thanks for reviewing!!!

~N

2. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    You've managed to give the fabric a lot of weight, which is a good thing! As FalconFan said, some darker shadows might solidify them more, but overall, you've got something good going here. I really like the 2nd image the best, with the ribbing on her top and such. Nicely done!

3. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Thank you, Basement24!
    I'll definately remember about those shadows.
    The second picture was one of the most fun to draw... i so love this outfit, someday I shall have to sew it! :)

Thanks for dropping by and Reviewing, I really appreciate it! Its fantastic to have second opinions on art, cause for me I end up staring at it so long my eyes hurt and I still can't define what I don't quite like about things/think I can do better. So thank you all so much!

Take care and God bless!
    ~N

4. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    OK some new stuff today, NOT MY ART THOUGH but very cool. here it is:

Okay today I have three new images in two different categories; one funny and one not so amusing. None of these images were made by me.

Bad news first:
    This image was created by my 9yr old brother, after hearing the news of what happened to Barbaro today... all of those (like my family and I) who were watching the preakness yesterday and hoping for a triple crown win know what I am talking about. So, without further ado, here it is:
    [image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Nidrail_335/db3128e5.jpg]

And now the good news:
    This set of images comes with a funny inscription, so read it well! This thing was passed on to me from my mom, so I don't know the actual address of the website from whence this came, but I thought it was so funny I figured you all would enjoy it, if you hadn't seen it yet yourselves. So, here it is!

[quote=British artist]
    The guy who wrote the following is a British artist (illustrator) and he wrote this upcoming article (Dave Barry style) about a recent ink spill that destroyed his artwork... which is the main info on his website.

[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Nidrail_335/f66de87e.jpg]

[b]Don't Cry Over Spilled Ink (Just Get Angry)[/b]

Yesterday marked the first India Ink spill I've had in at least five years. Which is a pretty good track record, considering how often I use India Ink throughout my day, and especially if you take into consideration that unitasking often goes hand-in-hand with clumsiness. Throw in the fact that my desk is tilted at about a 15° angle, and it's baffling that I'm not staining my pants black every fifteen minutes. Anywhoo, you can see the result of the spill above. I thought I'd share this shameful mistake with a public audience. It's the same kind of impulse that led to the creation of the "half-time show".

[b]Anatomy of a Freak-Out[/b]

To further sustain my public humiliation, I thought this would be a good way to familiarize everyone with the results of an unsuppressed freak-out. What's a freak-out? Well, the following couple of paragraphs should clear that up. So take my ink-stained hand, and let us tour the diagram together...

[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Nidrail_335/6ed162c9.jpg]

The area above labeled Phase I. (indicated by the white blob) represents the area covered by the original spill. Not too big, but just enough that it covered some of the art.

Phase II. (red) is where I took the rest of the bottle and emptied it onto the paper. I did this to teach the ink a lesson. See, it thought it was being clever by spilling just enough to ruin the page, but not enough to be empty (and thus become useless). Take THAT, bottle. First, I'll show you how much better I am at ruining a page than YOU. Then ? having sabotaged your plan to remain useful ? I will throw your inkless carcass into the filthy KITCHEN trash, where the rotten chicken parts live, as opposed to the white-collar prison of my office wastebasket.

The largest section, Phase III. (black) is where I splashed my hand in the puddle of India Ink, in order to make the Art itself aware it was ruined, and to notify the Art that it had better be more vigilant next time the ink gets an attitude.

So that's the anatomy of a freak-out. I'd like to tell you these episodes are the result of the hours and hours of isolation I experience in a regular week. Unfortunately, that would be a lie; I used to freak-out regularly when I held a steady job, and back then I was practically shoulder-to-shoulder with fellow human beings.

My only consolation in this entire episode is the hope that my spilling of India Ink goes in five year cycles; meaning I have another 1800 days or so to create art I don't want ruined. After that, I'll just have to create sub-par art that I don't mind being destroyed. Unicorns holding hands, toddlers giving each other flowers... stuff like that.

[/quote]

Reviews & Critiscism welcome!!

Take care and God bless!
    ~N

5. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    I had a good laugh over the British artist's "goof!" LOL! I know that feeling: DOH!!, and then it's wadded up and "in the bin!!" The phases were typical for that sort of disaster (though I don't work with ink and can't sympathize properly because I'm unfamiliar)--first we can't believe it, then we realize it's "toast," then the "hissy" ensues! That's one reason I love pencils--they're just more forgiving than a lot of media! The PS composition by your little brother is pretty good, too--into graphics he must go! ;)

FF

6. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    ROFLMAO that freak-out is great. The nice thing about working on the computer is multiple layers and many many many many many levels of undo. :) Except for Poser. It only has 1 step undo and pretty much anything you do counts as a step :( So it's like worthless.

That montage by your brother is great! This weekend was a very, very sad day. I'm beginning to think I'll never see a Triple Crown in my lifetime.

7. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Giolon05 LOL I know what you mean! :) Strata 3D was like that. :) That was exciting for someone like me trying to learn how to use the program... lol

Thanks about the montage! I'll tell him that.
    OH gosh I know. So many times its like... maybe this year! and then they lose. Its so frustrating! I think barbaro would have gone all the way. He was just so ripping fast, and had an awful lot of heart. I mean, geeze, winning the Florida AND the kentucky derbys by several lengths, both races coming back from fourth... and watching the preakness, all the horses looked... slow? Maybe just perception but I think he had the crown in the bag. Yup very upsetting. I never watch horse racing except for those three races. Well I'll keep praying we see one in our lifetimes! :)

Falcon_Fan Heh I know! I have never used ink, although I have a bit of it stashed away somewhere. LOL the KITCHEN trash... that just kills me. :) Thank goodness for pencils!

OH MAN my bro is 9 and he's already a computer genius... I don't know if you've heard of a computer game called EV nova (escape velocity) but its a ship game, very cool, and right now he and one of my other brothers are working on a TC (total conversion) for the game, with new missions and new ships, they are doing a star trek theme. There's already a TC for star wars. Its really amazing to see these guys work on this.

Thanks for dropping by, FF and Gio!

Take care and God bless!
    ~N

8. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    HAPPY 4th of JULY!!!!

WARNING: the image is 1024 x 768 so it may take a moment for some computers to load. Enjoy, and have a great holiday!

[image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Nidrail_335/4july1.jpg]

BTW while I was away the last two weeks, I drew another picture... non sw, however. I will scan it into the computer sometime in the next two months, as I will be away quite a bit on work. So stay tuned for that one, it is one of my favorites so far, although not a portrait. I shall leave the content of this picture a secret until it comes out. :)

Take care and God bless!
    ~N

9. Giolon05

Nov 3, 2005
    Cheers, Nidrail! That's quite a spectacular recoloring of Padme's dress. Great job, happy fourth!

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Gorgeous card Nidrail! I like your interpretation of red white and blue Padme! :D

11. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_flag][face_flag]

=D=

Wonderful holiday greeting, Nidrail! And I agree with everyone else--the coloring on the dresses is super! Happy Independence Day to you, too! :D

FF

12. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Wow, thank you all! I enjoyed making that! :)

Take care and God bless!
    ~N

13. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I just went through the index and must say that your pics are wonderful! As for Twi'lek suggestions, I'd like to see you draw a male, maybe Tott Doneeta from the TOTJ books.

14. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Totj?? Which series is that?? Thank you!!

P.S. All the miami heat fans out there should like my next update... :D YES I'm drawing something (or should I say someone, who is an AWESOME b-ball player, He really won that series for them, and now I have probably gone and gave away who it is), I'm a fan of B-ball, not the heat usually but there were several of my fav players on that team, who didn't have champ rings (Gary Payton, Alonzo morning, etc...) SOOO it will be a little while, at least a week, but I'll get them up, no worries!
    lol so I'll have two new pictures when I update next.

Take care and God bless!
    ~N

15. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    That's Tales of the Jedi.

16. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Ah, thank you, SS!

Alright I know I said I'd have two new pictures, however I haven't managed to get to the scanner yet, so those are still coming. However, I do have something to update. See, Giolon 05 is an AWESOME 3d artist. He made the character, Veren, for me, and I added the background. I just love her face! And the way the hood falls over. So, here it is:

[image=http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/TheRoyalTailor/Veren-Jsellwback.jpg]

No worries, I WILL get those two other pictures, someday Give me some time and I'll get it done. anyways, whaddya think?

Take care and God bless!
    ~N

17. Giolon05

Nov 3, 2005
    As I said, that's a great background you've chosen for her. Though if she's hanging around with Mission Vao, that's clearly not Taris!

This image is further proof that I can do Twi'leks without huge boobs and scant clothing upon request. :)

I'm very glad you liked it! :)

18. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_laugh] at Giolon's assertions that he can do more than render enormous breasts! [face_laugh]

This is quite beautiful, Nidrail! The background is just gorgeous, with that huge moon dipping into the tranquil waters... I agree that Veren is beautiful: her pose, her robes--all very nice! I think my only critique for this is the primary direction of the lighting, on the figure and in the landscape: with that enormous moon, the primary light in the scene is coming from behind the figure, which would necessarily cast her in deep shadow from where we're looking at her--on the figure, we see light coming from in front of and slightly below her (sort of shining up onto her face and body). This could be rectified with another soft light source somewhere in front of her (...a lantern, perhaps, or a levitated lightsaber...?). I love the environment--did you paint this in with something like Bryce or Corel, or is it images blended in PS? A wonderful piece with a great "feel!" Well done!

FF

19. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    LOL yeah the lightsource is off... I'll have to fix that later. :)

I actually got the picture off of I believe it is krystalmatrix.com, they have some pretty neat pictures. However I just went there, and their website is gone!!! Dunno why. But I've had this picture for a long time.
    If I could do that well with 3d backgrounds I'd be happy!! My brother does things like that, but not me :) My computer just doesn't have enough ram to handle that.

Thanks FF!!! She is sOOOOO cool. :D

Take care and God Bless!
    ~N

20. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Hey
    BTW everybody, here's the link to my newest ebay auction on star wars/lord of the rings/ narnia dresses & asscessories:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170011354999

Take care and God bless!
    ~N

21. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow!! Aren't those pretty?! =D= Awesome work with the doll costumes, Nidrail--I can't sew on a button, much less do that sort of fine detail work! lol! They all look just lovely--how do you get so much detail on such a small scale? It must make your eyes cross after a while! ;) Beautiful craftsmanship--I'm in awe! =D=

FF

22. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Aww, Thank you, FF! [face_blush]
    That's what I think about your drawings... I don't know how you put the detail into those clothes like that! I would have to have a model... lots of models... of fabric folding to get that right lol!
    I love working with doll costumes. They don't use as much fabric, although they can be much more difficult to find & make things for. It takes a LOOONG time to get them perfect. LOL I'm just finishing the Midriff gown, and already I'm redoing a couple things on it. Yes the eyes do cross... that's why I'm writing right now and not staring at the dress :D

Thanks so much, FF! I'll post again when I get pictures of the Midriff.

God Bless!
    ~N

23. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    Veren's cute!

24. Nidrail

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks, SS!!

Hey, I finally finished the Midriff Gown!!!

[image=http://theroyaltailor.com/middriffpics/m2.jpg]
    [image=http://theroyaltailor.com/middriffpics/m6.jpg]

I'll get better and less blurry pictures of the Midriff tomorrow! :)

God Bless!
    ~N

25. NLSkywalker

NLSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    Wow! The clothes are just delicate!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.