main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ninja Gaiden?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Valyn, May 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    What is this?

2. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
  3. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 were probably among the best games ever made for the NES. It's a shame we never got any games beyond the third one, and the bundle package for SNES.

I think a 3D Gaiden would be incredible. Oh well.

4. Boutros-Boutros

Boutros-Boutros Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2001
  5. Padawan915

Oct 1, 2002
    I didn't know about that. ?[face_plain]

I don't really pay attention to X-Box news. I'm a GC person and play classic videogames.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The new Ninja Gaiden will be as good as the new Shinobi, by which I mean it will rape our childhood in an attempt to suck so bad that no one will believe it's really a part of the series.

The original NG1 and NG2 WERE truly some of the best and hardest games in all of Nintendodom...

Ryu says it best -- "..."

Classic!

7. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Isn't Ryu from Street Fighter? :confused:

8. Padawan915

Oct 1, 2002
    Nope, Ryu is also the name of the hero in Ninja Gaiden. And this was wayyyy before the days of Street Fighter, I think in 88 the first Ninja Gaiden was released. ?[face_plain]

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ryu Hyabusha I believe was his full name.

Ninja Gaiden was the first game to introduce cinema scenes between levels and had a very interesting story. Even the third game's story was surprisingly complicated, even if the game itself was a bit of a letdown.

That new Ninja Gaiden game right now is one of the very titles that makes me consider wasting money on an X-Box; but first I'll wait to see how good it is- can't let nostalgia influence me too much, afterall [face_batting]

10. Joe_The_Red

Joe_The_Red Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    I wish games would stop changing to 3D. Some just don't work in 3D. Look at Contra and Castlevania. They tryed them in 3D, it didn't work, so they brought them back to 2D. (I actually like Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness, but I still say the 2D formula is ways better.)

I still feel tainted by Mega Man Legends. Not to say it was bad, it was just so not Mega Man.

11. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I'm disappointed Tecmos is putting this on the X-Box but I have the X-Box so I haven't really lost nothing. I think the days of 2d side-scrollers are over and it sucks. On a completely unrelated note, Castlevania is coming to PS2. There's a game in the works right now.

12. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    Ahh, Ninja Gaiden. I spent hours of my youth playing that game. Here's an excerpt of an old (true) story that I wrote "Tales of Nintendo-inspired Insanity!" about an old friend whom I call "Craig", to protect the innocent and the insane. Craig was really REALLY into Nintendo, and still is to this day! Here it is;

It was a friday. We were all on vacation. Craig calls me up to tell me that he rented Ninja Gaiden, because I had rented it once before and almost finished it. I said it was cool, and then we hung up. I was just starting to see him for what he truly was; some wacko nintendo addict. I then proceeded to play Ultima Exodus for 3 straight hours ...

90 minutes into the game, I get this phone call, it was Craig; he said he couldn't get past the level 3 boss (basacker, or something like that). So, I tell him the trick, to use the overhead flame spell whenever the guy jumps in the air. He says, "No, I want to use my sword." Then I said, "Well, if you want to use your sword, then you really don't need my help now, do you?" "No ..." he says. Then we say goodbye. Another 90 minutes pass. The phone rings once again. It was Craig. He was whining.

Craig (whining, like some 3 year old that didn't get his morphin' tiger mega thunderzord): It's NOT FAIR! I can't kill basacker in Ninja Gaiden!!

Me (patient, as usual): You need to use the overhead flame spell ...

Craig: NO! I want to use my sword!!!

Me: It's more difficult that way, I can't help you if you don't want to hear my advice.

Craig: Bye ... *CLICK*

Two hours pass. I am watching TV, and I briefly thought of Craig. He probably finished the whole damned game. I got another call. Only this time, nobody answered the phone.
    I heard the message on the answering machine. It was somebody sobbing and screaming like crazy, and then hung up. Then my dad answered about a second later. It was pretty funny, but I guess you had to be there ... My mom knew who it was, as did I. She said that I should call him because I am the only friend he has, and he is emotionally unstable.

Craig (crying, this time, like he was crazy): I-CAN'T-GET-PAST-BASACKER-IN-NINJA- GAIDEN!

Me (from memory): Use the flame spell ...

Craig: NO!!!!! I want to use my sword!!!!!!!!!

Me: Well good luck ...

13. WindexedStormtrooper

WindexedStormtrooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Get that kid a straight jacket.

There was an article in FHM magazine that said Ninja Gaiden was looking great. However, I have my reservations. For one thing, it has been delayed numerous times, which in this case is not necessarily a good thing.

14. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    I am not totally sold on this nostalgia rebirth that has been going on in the video games world recently. Some have been outstanding (Contra: Shattered Soldier, Panzer Dragoon Orta), some have been great, even if they aren't totally like their forefathers (Rygar, Shinobi), and some have been "teh suck" (Toe Jam & Earl III). Using that list, more have been good than bad, but I worry that today's developers will go running to bring all the classic 8 & 16-bit games to the next gen systems, slap them in 3D, and call it a game. We all remember what happened with Castlevania 64, right? Ninja Gaiden is an enigma. The story elements being released sound similar to the classic 8-bit NES games, but the graphics look like DOAs. I don't want to play DOA as a ninja. I'll keep my mind open, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.