main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nintendo DS vs Sony PSP Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Panesar, May 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panesar

Panesar Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2004
    Nintendo's GBA better run. Here comes Sony's PSP.
    Yeh you've heard it all before. "Stunning graphics, game play. Basically a N64 pocket size. Nothing can beat it." Thats what Nintendo said. Well, I think they wish they had a time machine and never said that. Why?
    Because of this:
    http://www.ferrago.com/story/3562
    Not only does it contain stunning PS2 graphics, but Wi-Fi. Why the hell do you need that!
    Any way you may discuss.

2. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Nintendo DS does all the same stuff. Plus, it's backward compatible with all existing Game Boy systems.

As a friend of mine on a Zelda forum likes to say...

"SuckaFOOO!"

Nintendo never said the GBA did N64 graphics. The DS does that and more. I've seen the screenshots. The DS has Wi-Fi as well.

Wi-Fi + Mario Kart = pwned
    Wi-Fi + Zelda Four Swords = burned

Nintendo will continue to dominate the handheld business until the end of time. w00t.

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Think about it this way. I can buy either

A. Nintendo DS which has literally hundreds of titles to choose from between GB, GBC, GBA, and DS. Not to mention the dozens I already own.

or

B. Sony PSP which will have maybe a dozen games at launch.

It's not hard to choose.

EDIT: spelling

4. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    The irony is, the PSP has been in Dev for quite some time now, but from what I can see, this is the first and only thread anyones made about it.

5. jollydwarf

jollydwarf Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    You know what the PSP and the DS are? Two more things that are going to get stolen out of 7th graders' lockers (even though they're not allowed on the premises), causing them to go home, crank up Dashboard Confessional (fighting gag reflex here!) and cry face-down in their favorite NFL team's pillow.

I think it's all overkill, and something WILL give. Personally, I think it'll be the DS. Too gimmicky, too frivolous an expense for kids who don't have taped-together dollar bills for toilet paper, too similar to the GBA (plays GB and GBA games as well as DS-specific ones), and even Nintendo says that it's not the official successor to the GBA! It won't bomb "Virtual Boy"-style, but I think it'll be more of a curiosity that'll fade within two years. Boy, I should know better than to piss off Nintendo fanboys!

The PSP has a better chance, but it's no 'lock'. It certainly will be a more 'feasible' choice for the adult gamer that kinda cares about what they're seen playing. It aesthetically looks more sophisticated, it'll play movies (and music, if I'm not mistaken), and I believe that the majority of the titles for it will (unsurprisingly) be more congruent with the PS2's more 'grownup' library.

The GBA will continue to thrive, because it'll be that much cheaper (I'm guessing another price drop is in the cards in the next 6-12 months), and because young kids love portable games. Since their parents finance their 'habit', they won't have very much say when it comes to 'upgrading' what they already have. Nintendo isn't going to stop with the GBA games anytime soon, either. Either they'll get cheaper and/or the DS games will cost that much more, but regardless, it'll make the GBA seem like even more of a bargain. Again, that's a 'plus' for the parents.

Finally, the PSP is more powerful than the DS. Not being a fanboy, just stating the facts. From what's been seen the PSP will have graphics hovering around those of the PS2 (even if they're a notch below), while the DS's will be superior to the N64. I could look the specs up, I suppose, but that's just the summary of everything that I've seen and read thusfar.

So, in conclusion, I feel like the DS will be the one 'squeezed' from both sides. But regardless of what you kids get, it's going to get stolen while you're at lunch. Sorry.

EDIT: P.S. As soon as someone types "pwned" or a variation of it (exempting those of us facetiously quoting the offender, of course!), I instantly lose any respect for their opinion and assume that they're 1.)under 18, 2.)Team-Killers and taunters online, 3.)possibly a closet Juggalo, and 4.)not big fans of that 'crazy little thing called literacy'. Sorry, Queen, but I had too.

6. Mace_Windoo

Mace_Windoo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Did any of you see the video of Gran Turismo 4 playing on the PSP? It looks almost exactly like it does on PS2! I'm definitley getting the PSP. :D

Plus it looks a lot nicer then the DS. ;)

7. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Dwarf: I fit the first criterion. I am also a National Merit Scholar intending to major in mechanical engineering.

And I am quite good at Jedi Academy.

I consider the so-called "1337" to be more of a viral infection than an actual language, but it has developed interestingly. It obeys the characteristics set forth in Chomsky's theses on universal grammar, even though it appears to be just a stupid Internet thing.

If someone uses "1337" and can produce a logical argument, I will listen to it. But it is a tendency of 1337 users not to produce logic, but incomprehensible jumbles of words.

8. Panesar

Feb 1, 2004
    To tell the truth, by looks the PSP is more sex-ier. More to gag over, where as the DS, well. Just looks like the classis gameboy.
    **Sighs

9. Mace_Windoo

Aug 13, 2001
    Yeah, exactly!

10. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    To tell the truth, by looks the PSP is more sex-ier. More to gag over, where as the DS, well. Just looks like the classis gameboy.

That's not Truth. Truth is, logically, a Fact.
    What you just said was an Opinion.
    There is a distinct difference between a fact and an opinion.

11. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    I'll just play games on my laptop :\

12. jollydwarf

jollydwarf Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    alpha_red,

As you stated in your reply to my post-script edit, you're the exception to the "1337" rule. I'm just the kinda guy that has a very averse reaction to seeing any of that nonsense (which, as you said, the vast majority of it is) in someone's postings.

(Although I'm not sure what your "Jedi Academy" statement was in reference too. Congratulations. You excel at a game that I didn't even mention)

Granted, I'm not the right generation to be 'down' with that 'dialect', but I'm certainly not beyond implementing other colloquialisms and slang into my own vocabulary, online or off. It's just that 1337speak and its ilk make me think of the last type of person I'd ever want to be associated with. It makes me think of Internet-dwelling stereotypes and kids that like to wreak havoc online, in gaming arenas and--even worse--in the realm of hacking for sport. I don't see the 'coolness' in it, I don't see the humor in it, and I certainly don't see the 'sexiness' of it. And hopefully, I never will.

Since my last post, I read an article at ign.com that presented two viewpoints on the DS and the PSP. The one thing that was mentioned that I hadn't really factored is Sony's early reliance on a slate of quasi-remakes not being enough for people to justify buying a game for a portable that they already have for their PS2, not to mention paying almost the same price for a 'streamlined' version of a game. I think that's an overreaction though, because I really believe that after the initial 6 months, we'll see a few AAA original titles, even if those are variations on established PS2 franchises. That's not to mention the handful of inevitable PSP-first/exclusive franchises that are bound to pop up.

13. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Although Nintendo has stated in the past that the DS is not the replacement for the GBA - which I suppose it technically won't be - it will probably be the next generation GB. I would not be surprised if the official name of the DS is the Game Boy DS. I was planning to possibly get a GBA SP until I found out that the DS will play GBA games.

Since "better than N64" and "just below PS2" in terms of power is roughly the same place, I don't understand the argument that the PSP is that much more powerful than the DS. It might have an edge, but not a big one.

The real spec that matters in the graphics area is the resolution of the screens. Do we have the numbers for both the PSP and DS screens? No matter how powerful the two machines are, if the screens don't have the resolution, they may have more power than they can use.

It seems that DS although quite a ways off will have several system selling games for launch or near launch time.

In my opinion, the PSP might have the edge in terms of hardware, but I don't see many good games on the horizon. All of the PS2 games I like, I would not like on the PSP since I like them for the graphics and size of the games.

It seems many games from PS1/PS2 will not be able to be ported without major changes since data streaming is a big no-no for power management. They give it 2-10 hours batterly life, which probably means 2 hours, which probably means it will not make happy campers of the early adopters.

In the end, I think the pricing is what will make or break both the DS and PSP. If the PSP is priced at $300 or more, as it is expected, there is no way it will survive - parents will not be content that their kids are carrying around a $300 piece of hardware to lose or break, or drop in a puddle. As long as the DS is priced at $100, as expected, it will carry on the GameBoy dynasty. For PSP to compete. it will need to be priced at $150 or less.

14. Mace_Windoo

Aug 13, 2001
    The real spec that matters in the graphics area is the resolution of the screens. Do we have the numbers for both the PSP and DS screens? No matter how powerful the two machines are, if the screens don't have the resolution, they may have more power than they can use.

The resolution for both screens on the DS is 256x192.

The resolution for the PSP is 480x272. Obviously the PSP will look nicer.

Plus I read this over on IGN:

The screen is another huge plus. The Nintendo DS screens are bright and more vivid than the Game Boy Advance SP system, but the PSP's screen technology absolutely trounces them with one that has as much contrast as a laptop LCD. The higher resolution is noticeable as well, especially when seeing some of the impressive software demos running on it. The widescreen format of the screen also looks fantastic, especially in games that feature a first-person and over-the-shoulder perspective.

So there you have it.

15. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    With that resolution on an LCD and the motor for the disc drive, the PSP might hog way to much power to be a good portable though.

I think both companies might revise their corresponding specs after getting a glimpse of each others hardware at E3.

16. Panesar

Feb 1, 2004
    Is there some how to have a poll in this thread to allow people to choose if they are going for the PSP or the DS.
    If you know how to do it, can you please!
    Cheers.

17. Emperor_Joe

Emperor_Joe Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    Two words for PSP lovers: Price Tag.

18. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Make that 3 words: Low Battery Life

Seriously 10 hours audio, 2.5 hours video how long will it last while playing a game? 2 hours maybe?

What's portable about 2/2.5 hours?

Oh well it has amazing graphics for a handheld though.

19. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    For badly designed games it might be even less than 2 to 2.5 hours if they use any streaming of data from the disc since it requires extensive use of the motor.

20. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Personally, I think it'll be the DS. Too gimmicky, too frivolous an expense for kids who don't have taped-together dollar bills for toilet paper,

No MSRP yet, so that's hard to judge.

too similar to the GBA (plays GB and GBA games as well as DS-specific ones)

Has Nintendo said that it will run GB/GBC games, or just GBA? From what I remember, the GBA had the GBC hardware duplicated inside of it to support the older games; I don't recall mention of the DS having this same support.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think you'll see the DS placed at a higher pricepoint than GBA- making it kind of the high-end Nintendo portable, say, at around $150 (I can't see the PSP selling for under $200 at launch).

Also, the DS will supposedly be launching sooner than the PSP, so that headstart will likely work to it's advantage since it'll have the holiday season to launch during, instead of next spring.

I think the games are really going to remain the primary factor at play here. The DS is going to have alot of titles specifically made for it, while the PSP is going to be relying mainly on what are essentialy ports. And the budget/profit situation will apparently make it unlikely that you'll see alot of original AAA titles on the PSP.

The battery life thing is gonna be a real issue too- thats one of the things that killed Game Gear, afterall.

And finally, I'd wait before reserving judgement on the DS's appearance, as the final case design was not the one shown at E3, supposedly.

Let's just hope it's not purple. [face_batting]

22. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I think Sony is relying on the same model for PSP as PS2, however that model won't work since the PS2 was drawing from the success of its predecessor.

It will be all about the games and pricing, with a little bit related to battery life and the tech specs.

23. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    DS looks awesome I can't wait to get mine. PSP does look sharp but there is a proble with it, a problem that Nintenda has rectified. The screen is exposed. It's analog stick is exposed. The batterie will be a huge problem as well. I don't understand why people are so defiant against the Wi-Fi support of the DS ? Wi-Fi means online support ! That's amazing ! I can't wait. No more cords. My brother and I will be able to play Mario Kart against each from diffirent floors in our house. This is amazing news. PSP might do has well has the N-Gage.

Nintendo DS which has literally hundreds of titles to choose from between GB, GBC, GBA, and DS. Not to mention the dozens I already own

Try thousands. 1989 until 2004.

24. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Coming in late to the conversation, but 95% of any leetspeek used in this forum is done strictly tongue-in-cheek.

There are a few "classic" expressions, such as

!!!11!!!

and even

pwnded

that get used here regularly as part of the forum's legacy, not actually in any serious capacity at all.

It's amusing when used in the right context, so be careful before jumping to conclusions about the people who write the odd comment in leet around here.

Err. PSP - looks nice, but in general I don't like playing games on screens that small. It kills the 'emersion' factor for me.

25. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    I don't think the PSP will do as badly as N-Gage. After all, Sony has got a far better reputation in the games industry than Nokia, following the success of it's previous two consoles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.