main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nintendo DS vs Sony PSP Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Panesar, May 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BENSKYWAKER

BENSKYWAKER Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    um my friend has a DS and I have played alot of games, which, in my opoinon, were usually A) Stupid or B) alittle fun for an hour of play

I was a huge fan of the GBA and I think that the DS has alot of unnecary control espacially sense it has a touch screen...

Also you can wacth TV on the PSP, with a location free device...

the PSP internet isn't a HACK as you said, if you have an older version simply conect it to your computer or if you have wireless internet, it will download it for you... If you buy some newer versions (example white PSP) then it comes with internet...

I'm sorry if you thought I was ranting...or shouting at you or whatever, I was simply giving reasons for why I think the PSP is better, I put them in bold so you could compare them easer (which may have been a mistake)

Also the PSP has alot of great titles...GTA, BF2,Lumines is suprisingly fun and chalenging, metal gear acid,(one of my ALL TIME favorite games)coded arms is ok...NFSUR is one of the best racing games I've played then there are alot that I don't have...

I have played mario 64 DS which I thought often sliped with the touch screen, and was basicly the same as the origonal...I will admit to the fact that Advanced wars was fun but one game dosen't screem out to me "The DS is the best ever!" I have played a couple others that I lost intrest in fairly quickly...

I feel that alot of people who own the DS and not the PSP and have never picked one up, say that the DS is so special and beats it...that was the whole open mind thing...

no the psp dosen't take pictures, but it can take them from your computer, internet, or digital camera...

the movies do everthing DVD do...they have special features, delected scenes ect...

I find that just saying the DS is better and has better games without any proof of any good games exept Advanced Wars odd...Also I don't see any intrest in a touch screen where SOMETIMES you end using both screens any fun...

The PSP is slowly becoming a portable computer...The DS is a gameboy...

Your turn...(please don't be offended if I said anything rude...we are just debating and I have nothing against DS owners or people that like the DS again I'm just debating)

edit: ADHOC is the channels used to connect to other PSPs without internet...which I did admit the DS does have that...I'm not sure if it has internet or not...

2. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    People, I ask you, is there anything in that post that resembles a coherent thought or a point to debate? Because I really want to argue about this, but I'm not entirly sure that he's even said anything.

Edit: Also
    "next time you say my post are stupid I will report it to any moniter...Its starting to really make me mad, so please stop!

I don't see your post as anything brilliat either..."

I recived this in PM. Please, please, please, the next time you threaten me, have goodness in your heart to do it with correct grammer and spelling.

3. BENSKYWAKER

Oct 28, 2005
    I was just stating fact that disagree with what you said...I'm for PSP your for DS remember?

Bring up one good reason the DS is better and I'll counter it...if you don't know what that means google it or take Debate class...

Ever heard of a crossfire...thats what we are doing! Its asking questions where you see flaws in a persons agrgument, the the other person answers them...

4. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    i think it all comes down to games and playability. i think the game library on the DS is larger and more accessable in general. the games all have a good level of fun and playability and the format for the system is original and innovative. while the PSP handles more media-oriented features, i guess i never really wanted a gameboy to do that for me anyway.

but ultimately it comes down to games, and sontir pointed out most of the good ones already. and yes, i'm sure that advance wars is good, i hope to play it soon myself. it does just seem that PSPs game library is significantly smaller and less desirable. and also i think that sony has focused less on making good new games and rather just dedicated themseves to re-hashing old playstation titles.

5. BENSKYWAKER

Oct 28, 2005
    And the DS hasn't?

Mario chart DS
    Anaimal crossing DS
    Mario 64 DS
    Retro games DS (or its somthing like that)
    ect.

In Kalispell Montana there are an equal amount of games for PSP and DS...I don't know about other cities...

6. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Mario chart DS
    Anaimal crossing DS
    Mario 64 DS

Each one of those titles you suggested are not remakes at all, but rather, completely new games in the franchises, with the exception of Mario 64 DS, which is still a completely rebuilt game, and not a dumbed-down version of it.

7. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    No the DS hasn't.

You see the PSP equates itself to being an alternative to a home console, that is why it has games that are like it's console counterparts. I'll grant you that the above games are pretty much ports which fall under your point.

However there are far more DS games that take advantage of it's unique abilities, such as Kirby, Yoshi, Trama Center, Nintendogs, Castlevania, Meteos, Lost in Blue, Electroplankton, Band Bros, and Ouedon just to name a few. The DS brings something new to the table. The PSP doesn't.

Your move.

And you might want to use a MS word sheet on your thoughts, and take advantage of the spell check.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Soontir and Ben- You are free to discuss flaws or fallacies within the other's argument, but please refrain from any personal insults.

9. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    Okay Ben...

Yes Nintendo DS has full wireless internet capability to play games. the Wi-Fi Connection as stated earlier. It is limited right now but it is good.

You say that there are good games for the PSP but everything on the DS is rehashes, then list a few games that are good for the PSP....

GTA: Liberty City Stories... I believe there are THREE of this game already out on the PS2.

Battlefront 2: Isn't it already on the XBox, PC, and PS2?

Lumines... okay I'll give you that. I played it and being a puzzle freak found it quite addictive. However, the same people who made Lumines helped make Meteos, a DS exclusive that also is dreadfully addictive.

Metal Gear Acid. I will admit, this game almost made me buy a PSP, until I played it. They turned the magic of Metal Gear Solid and made it a card-based board game?! What the heck? Suffice to say I was very disappointed. If it was a true Metal Gear Solid game I would buy the PSP just for that.

NFSUR... on all major platforms and a "gameboy" version is available for both the GBA and the DS. Again, no innovation.

Now, I have played the DS and PSP for hours. I picked the DS because it has innovation. I don't have a PS2 becuase nothing on it interests me, so why in your opinion am I wrong for getting the DS?

Oh and games just for the DS that are totally unique...

Mario 64 DS (It has 30 more stars, 3 new characters, and a lot more to do)

Mario Kart DS (a sequel, but with a ton more features)

Meteos (totally new)

Kirby: Canvas Curse (what other system allows you to control a character just by drawing lines?)

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (I object to your bashing DS! just kidding)

Trauma Center: Under the Knife (Ever wanted to weild a scalpel?)

Polarium (simplest and yet most brilliant puzzle game I have ever played)

Nintendogs (just try it, you'll understand)

Advance Wars: Dual Strike (yes a sequel, but add a second front, touch control, and a bunch more options)

Metroid Prime: Hunters (Can you say portable global FPS? I can)

Your turn Ben.

10. SecondBest

SecondBest Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 5, 2003
    I'm getting a DS and Mario Kart for Christmas. :)

11. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    And you won't be disappointed.

12. BENSKYWAKER

Oct 28, 2005
    First I don't think your wrong...I'm not saying everyone should trade in there DS for a PSP

I'm just saying in my opoinon the PSP is better...

Metal Gear Acid. I will admit, this game almost made me buy a PSP, until I played it. They turned the magic of Metal Gear Solid and made it a card-based board game?! What the heck? Suffice to say I was very disappointed. If it was a true Metal Gear Solid game I would buy the PSP just for that.

I thought it added skill and strategy that was completely new to the metal gear series...I loved...I know some people didn't but, alot did enough for a second one to come out before christmas...

You say that there are good games for the PSP but everything on the DS is rehashes

did I say all DS games are remakes...no I was just listing that both DS and PSP do remakes...

They added on to mario and called it Mario 64 DS, PSP example, they added on to medival and then called it Medival resserection.... so on and so forth...

The PSP has alot of new features for a PORTABLE device...it may or may not have any new features to a PS2 (I don't know, I own xbox not PS2)

The PSP is just as good as a ipod...has games that are just as good as the PS2 or xbox...The new generation PS3 Xbox 360 and nintendo revolution are going to go beyond the PSP and DS.

but as far as Portable devices go...In my opoinon there really isn't anything that can stop the PSP...I'm not talking just completely games...I mean it really is like alittle computer and they add new features about every two to three months...

while as far as games go, there is always going to be a bunch of great games, and a bunch of bad ones...It seems to me, that the DS is more oriented for a younger generation...I think the PSP is alot more family oriented...

If there is a game the family like for example...NFSUR it often has a mode where you can swicth characters and compete with one device...(I don't know if DS has this or not)

Also there are brand new games that aren't sequels for PSP just like DS...

Coded arms is a portable first person shooter...it looks great and has really good controls even if the story line stinks! :p

There are first person shooters for DS but they (as far as I know) use the touch screen and a trigger to fire...I find that very uncomfortable and a big reason I didn't get the DS for christmas last year...

Also sense the PSP is in america, asia and europe online play if so much fun! There is always people on...and trying to chat with them often leds to alot of comedy and alot of skill building...for it seems that everyone has there own tricks...

I don't know about you, but I'm getting tired of mario games, (mario street fighter, mario racing, mario classic)they have over used mario and the games, in my opoinon, are set for a younger group...say 7-12...while the PSP has alot of everything it has young kid games, teen age games, adult games, and family games...I'm sure DS has those too, but it seems there alittle to stuck on the young kids games...

You listed...

Kirby: Canvas Curse (what other system allows you to control a character just by drawing lines?)

Nintendogs (just try it, you'll understand)

Mario 64 DS (It has 30 more stars, 3 new characters, and a lot more to do)

Mario Kart DS (a sequel, but with a ton more features)

all these are way to young for me...I have played them all exept kirby because I HATE kirby! He is just a pink puff ball...

so this is the main reasons I give the PSP the win...better games (in my opoinon) its a portable computer, graphics, ipod, contact to all over the world!

These are the main reasons I don't like the DS very much...Not that fun of games (in my opoinon) not that good of graphics, touch screen not that exiting (we have had touch screen for awhile now) dual screens(these often just get me mad and confused...

So I hope some one is starting to beilve me...mabye not the guys I'm debating but hopfully some people reading this...

so far the PSP macthes the DS in everyway exept it d

13. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    I hope this doesn't accurately portray the average PSP fans intellect.

BETTER GAMES/GRAPHICS ... DS...SAD TWO YEAR OLD GAMES
    And I suppose Resident Evil: Deadly Silence is for kiddies?

MOVIES ... NOTHING
    MUSIC ... NOTHING
    PICTURES ... NOTHING
    INTERNTET .. NOTHING

So? I have an MP3 player that costs less then the good PSP memory card, the GBC had pictures, but thats not better then the DS, and the GBA has movies that would be backwords campatible.

GAMES ON THE INTERNET ... MULTIPLAYER GAMES (NOT INTERNET)
    Eh, that is just ignorant, the DS just initiated Nintendo Wi-Fi with the release of three online games. (Online Mario Kart, Online Tony Hawk, and Online Animal Crossing)

GAMES WITH ADHOC ... SAMTHING
    Excuse me, but what are you saying here? I'll be honest, I have no idea what that means.

COOL BIG SCREEN ... TWO SCREENS THAT TOGHER ALMOST EQUAL PSP
    And without a clamshell design how long untill that cool big screen breaks/cracks?

NICE CONTROLS AND FEEL ... WEIRD EXTRA BUTTONS THAT THEY ADDED FOR NO REASON
    Uh, DS has "wierd extra buttons"?

... someone tell the SNES owners!

PSP HAS MORE OR JUST AS MANY GAMES
    ALMOST ALL THE GAMES ARE FUN DS A COUPLE ARE FUN

Haha, that is a joke, I can name several horrible PSP titles, as well as DS titles. And except for GTA basically all of the PSP's good titles came in the launch window.

SIZE IS ABOUT THE SAME....
    DS HAS A STUPID TOUCH SCREEN THAT FROM MY USING DOSEN'T WORK VERY WELL...ALSO YOU CAN'T WRITE YOU NAME OR A LETTER IN THE ALPHABET WITH IT...

In Pictochat I have no problem writing, and the touch screen is quite responsive. And it is excellent when not being used to "gimmick" something. (Meteos would be awful if it weren't for the touch screen for instance)

PSP HAS RSS WHICH LETS US HAVE RADIO ON THE INTERNET...DS HAS NOTHING BUT ALOT OF SILLY GAMES...
    I don't buy a game system for a radio. I don't care for music as it is. Certainly not enough to pay that much.

The People who say PSP isn't as good as a DS are the jelus people that wish the had a PSP...The only reason DS sells more is because everthing is cheaper...
    Yeah, I'm really "jelus" and I totally wish I had a PSP. (note the sarcasm) and so not being overpriced is a bad thing?

-The Scummy-

14. BENSKYWAKER

Oct 28, 2005
    You got to keep up with the times, were already past that post...I was too harsh in that post and I apologize, its just there is alot of this at my school and alot of DS owners just say

DS>PSP and they give no reason, and then they say "PSP sucks," and "Your a stupid **** for buying one"

So

15. -RebelScum-

Feb 21, 2004
    I agree that insulting your intellect was a bit uncalled for.

-The Scummy-

16. BENSKYWAKER

Oct 28, 2005
    Thank you...

I'm just debating...and in a debate using foul language and mocking a player almost elimates you... If your supporting DS then support it, dosen't mean you have to make fun of me...

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I will stress one last time that people refrain from personal attacks.

As I think I mentioned in another thread- the only real feature PSP offers is it's all-in-one design, like a swiss army knife with games, music and movies. The unfortunate downside is it doesn't any one of those three particularly well compared to other devices- it's music storage is extremely limited unless you buy an upgraded memory stick, it's movies are a non-standard format with reduced features compared to similarly priced DVDs, and it's selection of quality games pales in comparison to the DS's.

Consider this:

(rounding up)

-A PSP costs $250
    -A 1 GB memory stick costs $100
    -A protective shell or case for it will be, on average, $20
    --For a total of $370

compared to...

-A DS costs $130 (shell essentially built-in)
    -1 GB iPod Shuffle costs $130
    -Portable DVD players start around $80
    --For a total of $340

So, for less money (even if you forget about the shell) you can get devices that perform all the functions of the PSP better. However the PSP provides you the convienience of only toting one device around (but then carrying a Shuffle and a DS around would hardly be inconvienient given the Shuffle's design; so it's mainly the DVD player it's saving you- of course, in my expierence, there are few times when you would need all three features at the same time anyways regardless of what system you are using).

18. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    This thread is turning into GameFqs -_-

No.

Just no.

We're all better than that.

19. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    Well Ben I do respect your opinion. I guess we just came off as harsh with that first post.

However, if I remember correctly, you asked me for help in setting up the RP, and I believe that we discussed I was older than you. So your comments of age level and systems really irk me. I find it annoying when people scoff when I say I own a Gamecube and not a PS2 or XBox.

I dunno, I got the DS because it had the games I thought would be fun to play. So far I'm not disappointed. Yeah I will agree with you I do get tired of seeing Mario in everything, yet I still buy all the Mario Sports titles. Why? They are just damn fun to play.

However, I did take into serious consideration (and I still do) of purchasing a PSP. It just isn't that needful right now. I bought the DS to play games, and while I love the idea of the PSP being all-in-one, as 2nd Quest said, it is all in one, it just doesn't know what it wants to be. Is it a game machine? portable movie player? iPod? what? Considering that my DS is always in my backpack and my iPod on my belt, I have everything covered but the movie player. That I was iffy on because I really didn't want to buy movies in two formats. That's just dumb. So unless I was going on a really long trip and had to have certain movies with me, I honestly couldn't see myself buying UMDs.

I dunno, if the price goes down and some more great games come out (I did like Lumines and Death Jr., those were good), I'm gonna stick with Nintendo. I know that while their games seem to be "kiddy", I always have fun with them.

[stands up like an AA member] Hi, my name's Skye, I'm 21 years old, last year of college, and I still own only Nintendo, the "kiddy" system. :p

20. BENSKYWAKER

Oct 28, 2005
    A PSP costs $250
    -A 1 GB memory stick costs $100
    -A protective shell or case for it will be, on average, $20
    --For a total of $370

compared to...

-A DS costs $130 (shell essentially built-in)
    -1 GB iPod Shuffle costs $130
    -Portable DVD players start around $80
    --For a total of $340

ok first no one is making you by the 1 GB memory card...although it is cool and you could essentualy have a ton of stuff on it....But I get along just fine with my 126 card, that holds my favorite 35-40 songs...and my games, so there is 60 bucks knocked off...You don't need a protective shell...I don't have one, I use the little PSP case that it comes with...

While you don't NEED these for either PSP or DS I strongly recomend for both of them a Screen Protecter...that way nothing gets scracthed....

Also I keep hearing that DVD Players work better than the PSP movies...This is not true...

Everthing that a DVD has a UMD has, even graphic and sound wise...While a Ipod does hold more music then a PSP unless you buy a huge memory card, the PSP has just as good as sound and organization...I understand not wanting to buy two versions of the same movie, and I personaly only buy movies I don't have already, or I pick which one I want it for...

To Skyelightrider I find that nintendo dosen't have alot of games I like, you apperently find it has your style of games...To eachs own...I wasn't impling that you were younger then me...I simply find Nintendo stuff not my stlye, and I know alot of people that play, what I consider, littler kid games that are older then me...

I think alot of this debate comes from what kind of games you like, and what brand you support...

I support Sony and Microsoft, I don't really like the Nintendo stuff for reasons I have listed before...

So while you mabye like DS games more, I don't think it is fair to say the DS is better then the PSP...You can say I like the games more, or mabye even it has better games, but the system its self isn't better...

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> ok first no one is making you by the 1 GB memory card.<<

True, but you basicly need it if you want a decent amount of storage for a portable music player- otherwise you're better off just getting an MP3 discman for $40 for that little amount of storage. So, comparisons to a cheap iPod like the Shuffle are valid- though the PSP would have an advantage in file selection given the Shuffle's nature.

But really, the point is that, yes, the PSP can play music, but it's storage abilities are extrenmely limited, so it's not a very good portable music player- and to mak it so tacks on another hundred bucks.

>>You don't need a protective shell...I don't have one, I use the little PSP case that it comes with...<<

Well, i can see how a careful person could get by without one- which is why I pointed out the price difference even when not factoring in the shell cost. However, the PSP is too easily damaged due to it's design going by what people I've talked to who do have one have said. It's almost always reccomended to get a protective cover for it by anyone who has a PSP it seems as well. The DS basicly has such a protection built-in due to it's clam-shell design, so for all things equal as far as durability goes, the shell is a valid aspect to factor in.

>>While you don't NEED these for either PSP or DS I strongly recomend for both of them a Screen Protecter...that way nothing gets scracthed....<<

Agreed, that's sort of a wash for both of them.

>>Also I keep hearing that DVD Players work better than the PSP movies...<<

They work better in that PSP requires you buy a movie in a different, non-standard format, that, while of good picture and sound quality, lacks the storage capacity to contain the same amount of extras as a DVD. So, if you want to use a PSP as a portable movie player, you not only have to rebuy any movies you want to bring with you on-the-go, but you ahve to rebuy them in a format that costs almost the same as your DVDs and contains less content. AND you can only watch them on the PSP without buying additional hardware to output to a TV.

Contrast that to a portable DVD player- you can use the movies you already have, buy new movies on DVD for almost the same price as their UMD equals yet get the additional content, AND when you're all done, you can pop that same disc into your home DVD player/theater system and watch them normall without buying anything else.

22. -RebelScum-

Feb 21, 2004
    I havn't read it yet but Gamespot did an article on DS or PSP? for the Christmas shoppers. Thought people here would appreciate it.

-The Scummy-

23. Sith_Lords

Sith_Lords Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    Storage space is no problem, download the gmail drive shell application (if u have a gmail account) and than you can use your gmail account as 2gb storage device (if you have the internet, as you can link it through the PSP browser.) Also, the DS does not have homebrew capabiities (running windows/linux etc.) Therefore PSP wins. (IMO)

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't homebrew a hack that is only functional depending on the current updated status of the PSP?

And I don't know about you, but I find not running Windows to usually be a good thing ;)

25. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Yes it does. It's something at involves flash cards and other such nonsense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.