main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nintendo DS vs Sony PSP Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Panesar, May 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003

By the same token, I don't think it's fair for you to claim the PSP's superiority over the DS. I suppose in terms of pure technical specifications, the PSP edges out, but they have to be seen as game machines.

As GAME MACHINES, it is a matter of preference and thus neither is better over the other.

Go here.

DS Linux

Pretty much everything PSP can do, DS can do in a different way. Each have unique features. Take your pick.

2. BENSKYWAKER

BENSKYWAKER Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    I'm not sure if you guys know this or not, but Surfing the web on the PSP IS NOT a hack, it is a free download you can get in a couple of ways...

Also the GIGA pack is going to give you everthing the PSP comes with and a 1 GB memory card for a good deal of 3 hundred...saves you a nice 50 bucks and more sense it will come with a USB cable that costs 10 bucks...

So there is some money saving...

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not a bad deal, certainly helps increase the PSP's value.

4. BENSKYWAKER

Oct 28, 2005
    Yeah I thought so...

Although I hear that the PSP is white...

BLACK PSP> WHITE PSP [face_plain]

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Probably just trying to cash in on the iPod-look by matching colors. Though, ironically, iPods started coming in black recently.

6. Sith Bane

Sith Bane Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 14, 1999
    As someone who owns both the DS and the PSP, I'd like to add that it IS possible to like both of them equally; Whichever I play more depends on the games that come out. I played the PSP more when GTA and Metal Gear Acid came out, at the moment I'm playing more DS because of Castlevania and Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time.

I'm sure I'll keep alternating between those two as long as both keep getting great games.

7. Eme-ma_Himou

Eme-ma_Himou Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2004
    Oh god...

I asked for a PSP (giga pack) for Christmas (either the folks or the grandfolks are getting it for me)... I sure hope they got the black version.

Maybe I'll pop off a warning email... ;)

What are some good games for PSP? Here's the catch: you can't choose GTA. Parents have heard too much about the franchise and don't want to get it for me. Any other really good games?

8. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Just Lumines and Legend of Heros (old school RPG with new school style). IMO.

The rest can be gotten on consoles and much better.

However, Death Jr. is cute.

My advice? Rumors of a price drop in the spring are strong. Wait until then. Also, for 250-300 bucks... better to way for more quality games to come in.

Now, I like my PSP. I really do. But keep in mind I got it as a gift. I would not have put out 300+ bucks for the system and a game when the library is very lacking.

But since I didn't pay for it... I am enjoying it without a worry.

9. BENSKYWAKER

Oct 28, 2005
    untold legends
    lumines
    metal gear acid (1 or 2)
    twisted metal head on
    battle front 2 (yeah i know its on xbox too)
    xmen legends 2 (also on xbox)

10. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    I just can't find it in me to enjoy Metal Gear Acid. I HATE those card-games. HATE them.

How to ruin a solid series....

11. BENSKYWAKER

Oct 28, 2005
    Metal gear ACID isn't a solid series...

Its a diffrent series...

I think it add a difrent type of strategy to the game...Also making it intresting to play 2 people with...

12. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I don't think that's what he meant by "solid".

I'm, fairly certain that by "solid", he meant a strong, fun, series.

13. BENSKYWAKER

Oct 28, 2005
    oh...opps my bad...

But I still LOVE METAL GEAR ACID!!![face_love]

14. Sith_Lords

Sith_Lords Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    Battlefront 2
    Wipeout Pure
    GTA (Get a mate to buy it for you, i'm sure if you give them some money, they can get it off the interent, its worth it for the multiplayer at the least!)
    Lumines

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Penny Arcade has a bit up about the DS and PSP, which seems to reflect the general opinion of most people I've spoken to. Worth a quick read, I think.

Some excerpts:

"The inversion of my expectations as regards the PSP and the Nintendo DS is something that I imagine will remain with me for a good while."

"User experience on the PSP - while the system is off, at any rate - really is amazing."

"Every now and then something comes out for it that makes me somewhat less ashamed that I lauded their glossy brick to you with such force."

"The games hitting the DS now in their major franchises aren't the filthy ports with a few bonuses tacked on I feared would dominate the machine - they're actually the legitimate sequels, definitive versions that replace the old ones in terms of features and I daresay
    fun. The new Animal Crossing game for the DS is Animal Crossing II, with the multiplayer that was clamored for. The Mario Kart that is out for the DS is the new Mario Kart. Not the "portable version," not the constrained subset. It's the most robust offering in the franchise."

"It's so ridiculous to think that after all I've spent this year, I keep coming back to a hundred and thirty dollar system to play these tiny thirty-five dollar games."

16. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>"User experience on the PSP - while the system is off, at any rate - really is amazing." <<<

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.