Nintendo gives up!

Discussion in 'Games' started by tenorjedi, Jun 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Master

star 4
    Stick a fork in Nintendo, their done. I'm not surprised by this news. It's just a matter of time before the big N's endless supply of Mario and Zelda run out of gas. And when that happens what will they have left? They have become to complacent relying on these titles. Now their all about making the "cost effective" console and playing it safe to turn a profit.

>>>The effort to produce machines with better technology has reached its limit<<<

With a mentality like that I say good ridance. And they accuse other developers of having a limited vision.

>>>Although Iwata declined to give details of what Nintendo has in the works, he gave one example of where his company hopes to differ: It won't pursue online games, judging them as still too limited in appeal.<<<

Making great game content is cast aside so that the big N can turn a profit. Where is your savoir now? :p :p

[image=http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/images/sm/miyamoto.jpg]

"No profit means no online gaming for you. Come play Ultra Super Mario Twins 56. We added a new innovation, Shroom Vision!"

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!
  2. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    None of that it news, it just a statement from the new president of the company essentially reiterating the previous presidents sentiments to show he is not changing much. I've been reading gaming news pages for years and what has been said is nothing new.

Nintendo has always maintained that it is always about the games. They've also maintained they would stay away from online games since before GameCube was released. If Nintendo ever cared about being top of the line in hardware, they would put out consoles more often. Nintendo has had 4 consoles in 15 years. Microsoft and Sony are planning the PS3 and X-Box 2 for a release in less time than than originally anticipated.

Everything stated was old news just rehashed, which by your arguments would mean Nintendo gave up before GameCube was released.
  3. Justice_for_All Jedi Knight

star 1
    They are basically saying that games have reached the point where developers will have to try to make unique gaming experinces because games have basically reached the point that graphics don't matter any more.
  4. tenorjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    There's more to it than that. Things have been building up for awhile, but they have never come out and flat out said it. They've just put a positive spin on the whole situation. The fact remains that new consoles put a huge financial burden on manufacturer. Nintendo is looking for a profit and it doesn't have the capital assests to keep up with the much bigger competetors. It can't take a loss like the two of them. The whole argument of graphics reaching their limit is a bunch of BS. Consoles are going to have Harddrives, online and other features more traditionally featured on PCs. The processing power of the next generation will be unbeliveable, and if Nintendo actually believes half of the spin they put in that statement they will be out of the game altogether. But they're smart, they realize what everyone else already does. And they can come out of this smelling like a rose or rotting in the garbage.
  5. Justice_for_All Jedi Knight

star 1
    Do you actually know how much Nintendo makes in a year. The fact the other companies can take a loss does not necessaraly mean they will. Depeding on how big said loss could be. They have intrest in other areas while Nintendo has none. Nintendo also has a war chest thats over 7 billion dollars and still growing. Microsoft and Sony probably have larger ones but how much would they throw onto a market that they really don't need to stay a float on.
    Nintendo Shifts Focus
  6. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Let's put it this way: Nintendo have for years a 90% share of the handheld market. No matter what happens on the major console front, that will never change.

The Gamecube has sold more worldwide then the X-Box, thanks to the European and Japanese markets (where Microsoft has struggled to sell). It may not be a powerful system, but with a range of games that rival any of the PS2 and X-Box titles, who needs it. One of the polls on IGN was "Overall, who had the best E3?" The result, Nintendo Gamecube had over 40% of the vote.

Not to mention Nintendo, Sega and Namco joining forces for the Tri-force arcade board.

Nintendo may not win the console wars in the end, but they have plenty of other areas to work on that the other companies fail to believe in. They will be around for many years to come, in some form or another.

Who knows what might happen in the future. There is no way anyone can predict it. Microsoft might bomb out of the market, Sony may reign for years to come, Nintendo and Sega might join forces. They are all possible, but it might be the other way around. Either way, you can be sure that the video games market will be well looked after.

Consumers, in the end, are the winners.
  7. tenorjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Nintendo also has a war chest thats over 7 billion dollars and still growing

I'm not privey to their financial records and I'd like to see their P&L and balance sheet if you've got them but Nintendo won't drop all their cash onto the console market. They refuse to build a machine that would cause a loss at the possibility of reaping better rewards through the games. If they took a loss and sold the cube at $100 they could get alot more machines into homes and put a squeeze on the very costly to build PS2. But they haven't, because 7 bil in total company assests and cash is meager in today's gaming market. That 7 bil belongs to the shareholders and believe me, they will want to know why their stock drops in price because that 7 billion drops 1/3 (which is conservatively what they would need to spend in the next 1-2 years to stay neck and neck with PS and X-B) along with the stock.

Nintendo have for years a 90% share of the handheld market. No matter what happens on the major console front, that will never change

I won't refute their prowess on the hand held market. However the logic used on that front might be their undoing on the console front. It's a nice source of revenue and it's a costly venture for another company to try and enter the market. The problem is that the B&W 8 bit gameboy was able to outsell 16 bit color handhelds by price and familiar popular characters, and Nintendo had take the same approach with their consoles. The problem is that as consoles and PC's merge there is going to be a huge battle of graphics as each tries to astound the pockets of potential buyers.

Beneath the shuffle anyone who falls behind will be swept under the rug with every prior generation system. If graphics and size weren't a key issue we'd still play and buy games for the Atari 2600. But they were put out of the console race by one of their lead developers.....Nintendo. Q-bert, Frogger, Pac Man, all those loveable characters squashed with no lives left.

Sega made the mistake Nintendo's trying to avoid. They learned the hard way that trying to play the same game as the big boys is suicide and instead use them, let them spend the money on R&D and taking a loss to produce a cost effective machine and sell the profitable games. It's a smart move IMO and the best to please the shareholders. Nintendo will still produce games for the cube and will probably still maintain their dominance in the handheld market but getting into a blow for blow with the big boys? Not a chance.

The Gamecube has sold more worldwide then the X-Box, thanks to the European and Japanese markets (where Microsoft has struggled to sell).

Let's not kid ourselves to the truth. Aside from it's large launch, the gamecube has sold rather poorly recently. In Japan it has been outsold by the X-box for the past 2 weeks and the PS1 for months. Hardly positive results from it's own nationalistic motherland. Europe and the US has been in a slump also, and the price drop has yet to make a significant impact. I think it's because the 1/3 lower price already attracted the more thrifty buyers. The X-box has also failed to outsell the PS1 in Japan aside from it's launch and last week as well. Numbers are up from the price drop in all three continents and with the big features and close to 100 games coming in the summer and fall it's numbers should hopefully rise, but nothings set in stone.

But the part we all have to be honest about is the fact that the PS2 is kicking the X-Box and Cube butts combined. Despite lower specs and value it's dominating all over, especially in Japan. The US looks bright for the Xbox but still, the Xbox is not what's causing Nintendo's headaches. It's Sony. If you're going to tote numbers you've got to throw in theirs as well. You can throw out that .5 million more cubes sold all day but you still can't deny it's meager to the PS2.

It may not be a powerful system, but with a range of games that rival any of the PS2 and X-Box titles, who needs it.

They've go
  8. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  9. DoubleSith Force Ghost

star 3
    People have been misquoting what Nintendo said left and right. Here's what GameSpot's Shane Batterfield said about it:

All of these rumors stemmed from Nintendo's recent meeting with analysts, where it simply said that it expects the GameCube to have a longer life than its prior consoles and that it will concentrate on making innovative software in the interim. Those hoping that Nintendo will leave the hardware business and provide less competition for their favorite console were quick to post sensationalistic, erroneous messages on forums, alluding to Nintendo stopping GameCube production, but it's simply not true. In fact, when the full transcript of the meeting was released, it was revealed that Nintendo stated that its next hardware will have to be something completely different from traditional video game consoles. So, in this sense, it will be developing hardware more vigorously than ever.

Bottom line: If you want to play Nintendo games, buy a GameCube. They're not doing a Sega anytime soon.
  10. shine Force Ghost

star 5
    If the Xbox was kicking Nintendos ass, then why would Seamus Blackley stepdown? With a 40% short on projections, and lackluster sales in Japan and Europe, the Gamecube comes up just short of the PS2.
  11. tenorjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    alluding to Nintendo stopping GameCube production, but it's simply not true

I was quick to point out that Nintendo was not abandoning the Gamecube and was still publicly planning on selling 50 million units by 2005. Since the initial groundwork has been laid there's little reason now to stop selling them unless they bomb out completely as demographics embrace online. That's only a possiblity.

In fact, when the full transcript of the meeting was released

I read it before posting this thread

it was revealed that Nintendo stated that its next hardware will have to be something completely different from traditional video game consoles

Yes as I stated Nintendo will be bowing out of the traditional console race after the Gamecube instead of trying to compete in a streetfight with the bigger opponents. I imagine the rather vauge statment of "different from traditional video game consoles" indicates that Nintendo will be focused more on portability and size like a more powerful gameboy rather than killing themselves like Sega did.

They're not doing a Sega anytime soon

No they're not because they're pulling out before making a Segaish mistake.

If the Xbox was kicking Nintendos ass, then why would Seamus Blackley stepdown

Seamus stepped down to start his own software company, and he stated that he plans to write some kick arse games for the Xbox. With his knowledge of the Xbox I'm sure he has some ideas of how to use it's power. Hopefully something will bear fruit.

With a 40% short on projections, and lackluster sales in Japan and Europe

It's not 40% and the Xbox has been outselling the gamecube for the past two weeks (since everyone respectively dropped their price), and the good games are just around the corner. Morrowind just shipped for the Xbox and it has been recieved with enthusiasm by everyone. One PC RPG that works on a console (and I've only been sleeping 3 hours a night since I got my copy).

the Gamecube comes up just short of the PS2

30 million, 4 million, small difference. Yup just short. Compared to the huge difference of 3.5 and 4 million between Xbox and Gamecube. I've stated time and time agains no matter who comes in second they're still getting their teeth kicked in by Sony, so you might try to be realistic about the real situation.
  12. Pancrase Jedi Knight

star 2
    I love how people try to pull facts that are just not there from the Xbox guy stepping down.

I go to multiple forums. Theis forum probably has the youngest base out of all of them.

The GC is considered A KIDS CONSOLE BY MANY PEOPLE!! For most people, it becomes a debat of Xbox vs. PS2, and GC is not even discussed.

Most people in the UNITED STATES could care less about the GC. Unless you are below the age of 15, the chances of you having a GC is definitly a lot smaller then having an Xbox or a PS2.

I am 20, and I have an Xbox. I plan on getting a GC, but I realize that the GC has a lot less selling power then the other two consoles.

On a side note, the XBox is getting a lot of negative press from people that is unwarrented. The system is very good, and peolpe need to realize that ALL CURRENT SYSTEMS are worth buying if they have the games you want.
  13. tenorjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    When he stepped down he said he had plans to start his own software firm. You can find the exact quote in the news section of Xbox.com
  14. tenorjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Here's the article

Ex-Xboxers Start Gaming Company
    By Shockwave
    05.09.2002 @ 11:54 PM

Here is an interesting article from Forbes about ex-Xbox gurus, Seamus Blackley and Kevin Bachus. The two have joined forces to create Capital Entertainment Group, a development company geared up for some next-gen gaming excitement.

Two of the creators of Microsoft's Xbox have joined a pair of video-game industry veterans to launch a venture with a familiar Hollywood feel: find raw talent, create edgy entertainment, and then sign with a major publisher to sell it to the world.

But the product for Capital Entertainment Group is not movies, but video games, and the startup is in the process of raising $50 million in venture backing for just that purpose.

The executive team includes former Xbox chief technology officer Seamus Blackley and Kevin Bachus, who handled relations with game developers for Microsoft, the company said.

Former Sierra Online senior vice president J. Mark Hood and Dotted Line Entertainment founder Eugene Mauro are also behind the start-up, which plans to find video game developers with ideas that established publishers would normally shun.

CEG will back the development with money and production resources and find game publishers to market and distribute the resulting games, very much like an independent movie studio.

The game startup plans to make its money by taking a cut of net game sales. The company believes its investors can break-even on a game after sales of 250,000 copies. Developers will get a royalty, assuming a "breakpoint" is achieved within the first 12 months of sales, equal to anywhere between 5 percent and 15 percent of net sales.

The new venture comes at a time when the video game industry is in the first year what most expect to be a cycle of unprecedented growth. The top three U.S. game publishers recorded sales of $714.3 million in the first quarter of this year, up 45 percent from a year earlier.

Investors, analysts and even major media companies have started to pay closer attention to big-name game publishers, as they produce stock gains and quarterly returns far better than those coming from other technology or media companies.

check into something before you post.

SW is an independant film but SW games are not independant games. Hmmm

Possibilities.
  15. shine Force Ghost

star 5
    You're grasping at straws. The fact that they've sold 40% less than they've expected to and the cut the price down a third in all the major markets they've been trying to dominate. And the Xbox has only been out less than a year.
    I could give a **** what console is "winning*
    they're all aimed at certain demographic niches.

In case you can't read between the lines. Take a marketing course.

16. tenorjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    How am I grasping at straws? Really, I want to know. You say Seamous (sp) stepping down is some horrific sign of things to come, I give you an article about him finding a new nitche in game developement that he wanted to persue. Every article has and every statement made stated that Nintendo isn't persuing the traditional market after the gamecube. Maybe they put a more posititive spin on it but the truth is still there.

This chain of events has little to nothing to do with the Xbox it's sales. It has everything to do with Nintendo's sales, profitability and the reputation they've made for themselves. I still fail to see why you keep bringing up the Xbox at all personally. It's got it's own mountain to climb and I wasn't trying to make this a Gamecube / Xbox competition. We've plenty of threads for that. This is about Nintendo's graceful exit of the tradition console race.
  17. arabiansanchez Jedi Master

star 4
    I think everyone is jumping the gun a little.
    Nintendo have said that they expect the GC to sell 50 Million by 2005. I see little logic in exiting the hardware market if they suceed in doing so.

I hope they don't develop for other consoles because they will probably be forced down a road of endless sequels by Sony and Microsoft and I don't mean Nintendo sequels like Metroid Prime which are fresh and new to the franchise. I mean TombRaider type sequels ala make 5 identical games before being gave any leaway to re-imagine the franchise.

The statement made is open to extreme interpretations, as tenorjedi so blatantly demonstrated. I, on the other hand (taking a more rosey Nintendo fanboy view), believe they are simply stating that it is becoming harder to make something original.

Graphics have also, IMO, evolved to a stage where they can't get much better (probably beyond the next generation of consoles) and attempting to do so too quickly could be the markets downfall.

All I can take for certain from the statement is that Nintendo plan to stick with the cube beyond 2005, probably to about 2007, and then evaluate the market state and see if it is worth their while introducing a 4th generation of hardware.

Saying that they "can't keep up" is just stupid when you consider the Cube was a collaboration with Nintendo, Matsushita, IBM, NEC, ATI, Macronix, MoSys, S3, Applied Microsystems, Factor 5, Metrowerks and Conexant from which Nintendo retains the vast bulk of the profits. Thank the Lord for Mass Component Production contracts.

Sony are also highly impressed considering they immediatley signed up IBM, alongwith Toshiba, to assist in creating the PS3 and 4 graphics chips.
  18. Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Master

star 4
    >>>I hope they don't develop for other consoles because they will probably be forced down a road of endless sequels by Sony and Microsoft and I don't mean Nintendo sequels like Metroid Prime which are fresh and new to the franchise. I mean TombRaider type sequels ala make 5 identical games before being gave any leaway to re-imagine the franchise.<<<

And Pokemon red/blue/yellow, Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Gold/Silver Pokemon Stadium II aswell as Mario Party 2, 3 and 4 are different how? ;) Let's not forget Celda, oops I forgot it's new and inventive because it's cell shaded. [face_devil]

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!
  19. Jomero Jedi Knight

star 3
    God I love gamers, especially of the American variety. It's pretty easy to pull a heated opinion out of your ass and pass it as fact on the internet, isn't it?

"Mario as a 3D platformer?!?! That will NEVER F*CKING WORK!!!! Nintendo, you're screwed!!!!"

"Zelda in 3D?!? It worked for Mario, but it will NEVER F*CKING WORK FOR THIS GAME!!!! YOU SUCK MONKEY GOATCHEESE NINTENDO!!!!"

"Metroid as a first-person game?!?!?!? Oh my F*CKING HELL!!!! They've gone too far this time! That game is going to blow and suck so hard that it will implode in on itself in a huge energy ball of SUCKITUDE!!!! IT WILL BE THE WORST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!"

"Zelda cell shaded?!?!?!?!? WTF!!?!?!? That will suck harder than I've ever seen anyone suck before in all my terabytes of porn I've downloaded!!!!!!!"

Now it's "Nintendo not focusing on hardware as much and more on games?!?!?!? Nintendo is going out of business for sure!!!!! I know becaue I am an American Gamer who has no degree in economics or have any clue about corporate thinking and competitive business!!! Plus, I've forgotten that the SNES was alive and kicking hard even when 32 bit consoles were mainstream!!! Grrr!!!! I know all!!! Bow before my omniscient ability to know all things Nintendo related!!!! I beat all the Super Mario games in one sitting without going to the bathroom when I was 10 years old, so that makes me an expert on the company as a whole!!!!"

Only quote that comes to my mind is from The Last Starfighter: "We shall see, Xur. We shall see!"

-Jomero
  20. tenorjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Nintendo is going out of business for sure!!!!!

I said they were still strong.

I know becaue I am an American Gamer who has no degree in economics or have any clue about corporate thinking and competitive business!!!

I gave you several viable, sound reasons why Nintendo's following this path.
    BTW. Do you know what I do for a living? I'll give you a hint: it involves economics business planning, management, incorporating businesses etc etc. All american gamers do this for a living

Plus, I've forgotten that the SNES was alive and kicking hard even when 32 bit consoles were mainstream!!!
    Yes the SNES was their best venture to date and it was neck and neck with all the competition who were also 32 bit machines

Grrr!!!!
    Woof!

I know all!!!
    Yup, and that boil on your bottom side is going to need some surgery

Bow before my omniscient ability to know all things Nintendo related!!!!
    Not just Nintendo :p

I beat all the Super Mario games in one sitting without going to the bathroom when I was 10 years old
    Are you sure we weren't neighbors as kids?

so that makes me an expert on the company as a whole!!!!"
    Yup
    Try reading the whole thread and you'll see that I've seriously addressed all these points and more in a reasonable, noninflamatory manner.
  21. arabiansanchez Jedi Master

star 4
    R_B_E let me remind you:

a) As simple and, well...dull as they were, fact is the kids loved Pokémon (and alot still do. Christ, I know seventeen year olds who still play it) so why not go on releasing them?

Also, there hasn't been any Pokémon games in quite some time (in Europe anyway).

Nintendo know they went over the top and put Pikachu and Co on the back burner. Until now.

b) Celda? Time to grow up a little. Spew forth your insults when you've played it.

I guarantee the 'Celda' series will NEVER go the way of Tomb Raider. In saying that hats off to Eidos for taking the time out to reimagine the series. About time!

c)The sequel argument just doesn't cut it with me as far as Nintendo are concerned. They continuosly revolutionise the market with these so-called 'rehashes'. OoT is a benchmark game and, if the gameplay doesn't appeal to you, there's, at the very least, no denying that the game engine and camera system spawned an entirely different type of game.

A phrase comes mind. If it aint broke, don't fix it. PS fans will probably understand that alot better than MS fans (for the time being). GTA, GTA2, Sypho Filter 1, 2 and 3, FF Anthology, Tactics, VI, VII, VIII and IX (PS2 X and XI), RE 1, 2, 3, Survivor (R_B_E I already know your opinion of this Capcom series so please spare me), GT, GT2 (PS2 GT3, which is near identical) MGS (MGS2, MGS: Substance) and finally TR 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Compare that to Nintendo sequels over the last five years. 2 Zelda's, 1 true Mario game, No Metroid, 1 StarFox and a wealth of franchises forgotten by all until SSB:M came along.

Alot of people portray Nintendo as being an unimaginative company who must depend on endless sequels. I hope I have demonstrated that that is not the case.
  22. Dayron_Fett Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I hate the whole "XBox" Vs "Nintendo" VS "Playstation".... its ridiculous. Its become just another corporate trend... I mean really... like everything corporate, its just for the money. They suck people in, force them to choose sides... and then we have this. Nintendo is correct in what they said above. They see this competition as a potential downfall to the gaming industry. Sure, every company has competitors... even a friggin carpet store has its rivals. ...But when a company feels like its not making games for enjoyment anymore, but rather, for competition...and to beat the other guy, Its wrong.

Nintendo has always been there to give us games we enjoy...no strings attached. Nowadays companies are not looking at the consumers...but at the other companies who threaten them. If Nintendo wanted online capabilities, DVD capabilities, etc. etc. It would have them. Its a multibillion dollar company, what can't it buy? However... Nintedo knows where it came from. Its a gaming system...not a DVD player. You want internet games? Go to your local computer shop.

...Nintedo is just sticking with what its always done, and doing better things with that. Other companies are just trying to beat out the rest...
  23. portman_is_so_fine Force Ghost

star 4
    well duh its like puffy... errr uhh i mean diddy says "its all 'bout the benjamins"
  24. arabiansanchez Jedi Master

star 4
    Here's my prediction of one of hundreds of possible future situations:

INT. Tokyo, Sunrise, 2015AD, Garden of man in mid-60's.

The elderly gentleman strolls by his trash can and kicks it accidentaly.
    Suddenly a ray of light shoots forward from the can into the form of a suit wearing gentleman in his late 50's.

Gentleman: Mr Miyamoto, years ago you served Yamauchi in the Console Wars, now we beg you for your help. I regret not delivering this message in person but Bill Gates has pointed a big missile at the building and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Kyoto has failed. This is our most desperate hour. Help me Obi Wa... err...Shigeru Miyamoto you're my only hope.

Miyamoto: Yeah,right. I will no longer be the slave monkey. BWAHAHA!! [donates millions of yen to the Microsoft Military campaign.
  25. RebelOutlaw_Ace Jedi Knight

star 2
    I wouldn't exactly say that Nintendo has "given up." They're merely doing what they've tried to do for the longest time: focus on games. However, ever since the old "Playstation vs. N64" conflict, Nintendo has been struggling to make the peripherals better and more interactive, but never creating enough games to back it up (Transfer Pak, anyone? Three games were made that could use it.) I'm actually glad to see that they're just going to focus in on games.

Really, I don't think that they'll be going to the way of the Sega anytime soon. They always seem to have an extra ace up their sleeve, but usually that winning card has always been in the form of Rareware. Now that Rare's going multiplatform, who knows what'll happen?

Some of the best games that were mainly Nintendo-exclusive are becoming multiplatform, like Turok (which really burns me), as you've pointed out to me before, tenorjedi.

However, take a look at what Cube owners DO have coming to them. Resident Evils 2 & 3 are coming by Christmas, not getting the full kit-and-kaboodle upgrade that the first Resident Evil did, but at least a decent port. Star Fox Adventures seems to be the biggest adventure since The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Metroid Prime looks amazing; I'm surprised that Metroid could work as a FPS.

On another issue for the console wars that is constantly being debated, there's the graphics issue. When a halfway decent gaming company decides to actually put a few people into the daily grind of trying to spit out some pretty polygons, you get a nice turnout for Cube games. Rogue Leader was breathtaking while it lasted (it was TOO! DAMN! SHORT!!!), Smash Bros. Melee is amazingly detailed for a fighter (just look at Fox!), and Resident Evil has to be the prettiest game I've EVER seen, even though the smallest of all things were overlooked (shadows have VERY visible sprites on the walls, and the fire effects weren't up to snuff).

Then again, I haven't really seen X-Box and Playstation perform, which is a shame. While the Gamecube is leaning too heavily on a handful of games, these two opposing systems have scores. Metal Gear Solid 2, Grand Theft Auto III, and Halo come to mind as some of the best so far. The systems can play DVDs, X-Box doesn't need costly memory cards, etc. etc.

But still one fact remains: I got my Cube because of it's compactness and cost. Those were two things that the other two systems couldn't offer, but may change in the future. Who knows, maybe by the time that Playstation 3 and X-Box 2 or whatever comes out, perhaps Nintendo will still be a major contender.

Or maybe not.

-Reb
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.