main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nintendo has decided to dely the successor to the GameCube

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jedi-Anakin-Solo, Feb 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WindexedStormtrooper

WindexedStormtrooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
  2. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Nintendo was quick on damage control. But who wants to bet that it will not release it's console the same time as Xbox and the PS3. Even though they are claiming htat they will release the same time as the others, I'm willing to bet they will be the last one to release their next console. As was hinted late 2007, most likely. Just look at their track record.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

3. AzraelHorn

AzraelHorn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2003
    "MS didn't develope that game, they bought it like everything they have. Halo was meant to be a Mac game by Bungie. MS bought it."

Sony bought everything it has too. What's your point?

4. MasterKingsama

MasterKingsama Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2003
    Now, I have yet to hear of a GameCube or an N64 or even the SNES breaking down or going nuts. I could be wrong... but the number of defects was incredibly small.

I can attest to this too, i have very little problems with my NES, and it still gets used a lot today. It is 18 years old and still kickin. Same can be said for both my SNES and N64.

As far as the next GC goes, it all depends on what they do with it. They arnt going to survive with Nintendo only games this next time around

Disagree, as long as they make some great Zelda, Metroid, Mario, series games and throw in sports games a large number of people i know will still be buy the big N. Zelda and Metroid were two of the top ten games of the this generation, add that two the few exclucives that N has and they will continue to survive, but maybe thats all they will do. Oh and you are write, N needs more titles even some mature. I am not a big fan of M rated games, heck i know some people that wont pla games unless they are rated M, like that makes them better than Zelda. Anyways, the reason PS2 is so successfull is that there are thousands of games, sure most of them are steaming pies of dung, but the selection allows for more solid games to be produced, which is what GC lacks. They have a great selection of great games. They have their sports games. They have their crap games. But they really lack that medium level of simply solid games. This has to change for N to be back on top.

As for this whole feasco, i think that it was either a pub stunt, or that it was an engrish problem. EIther way i dont think that it hurt the big N. If anything it helped. I was watching the local news yesterday morning before work and they were talkin about how N is out of the hardware business. What a great way to get the N in everyones head.

Also i read a article that stated that the next console from N is not going to be a media center for the family like the Next X and PS3 are going to be. Nothing makes me happier to hear than that. I have a Cp, i have a DVD player, and soon a burner. I dont need or want to spend another $80 on a console so i can have yet another dvd player. Give me a console with a hardrive and great graphics, i will keep my dvds in my dvd player.

5. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    >>>Now, I have yet to hear of a GameCube or an N64 or even the SNES breaking down or going nuts. I could be wrong... but the number of defects was incredibly small.<<<

Pretty much all systems have defects that come off the factory line. Hehe, MS got roasted for this fact at launch while the media turned a blind eye to all the problems that the PS2 had breaking down. The Cube also had reports of machines breaking down asell, that got ignored. For months up to launch people were joking about the blue screen of death that would show up on the Xbox. The joke was on them, though. It was a green screen of death. :p :D

Faulty Cubes

As I said it happens to every console, they all have a small amount of defects like most mass produced, electronic products are expected to have.

-----signature-----

6. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    My NES doesn't work very well anymore, though that comes down to a lack of use. Someone told me a while back that if you leave them for too long, they don't work properly years later. Meh.

7. MasterKingsama

Aug 18, 2003
    you can still get it serviced/cleaned at a local authorized Nentendo service provider. It only cost like 15-20 and there should be a list on the web site.

8. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    I got the Xbox the day it came out and it's still alive...even after somebody spilled a sprite on it during a Halo Lan Party :p

9. AzraelHorn

AzraelHorn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2003
    Yeah mine too. Still working fine. Never had a problem.

10. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    As I said it happens to every console

True to that, but it happens more to certain consoles then others.

Of course most faults lies with the fact that people mod them or replace the harddrive with a bigger one :p ;)

11. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Bye bye nintendo, you were fun while you lasted

12. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Um, no.

Nintendo ain't going anywhere. They have billions in the bank and always make a profit. Even when Nintendo had it's first losses 6 months ago, it still didn't lose money because it still made a proft, just not as big.

Fact is, Nintendo is here to stay.

Again, they aren't Sega. Meaning, they are not in debt.

13. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Nintendo is a foundation of the industry and have a very large and loyal following, not just here, but world wide. When it came to make my choice for my first console, I went went with the PS2 and I haven't regretted it for a nanosecond. Actually, what killed the GC for me was twofold: I hated the controller, still do, always will. Not enough games to intertest me, even with the Star Wars selection.

Even now that all 3 consoles have a huge selection of games, I'll be getting an Xbox next because of its modability and I want to screw around with its innards.

My PS2 is my secondary entertainment choice, no console will ever match a PCs versatility.

If Nintendo wants to make a new console or a new handheld, I say, bring it on! More competition between the companies means better products for us, both in consoles and games. It's win-win from our perspective. Hell, I almost wish more companies would make consoles to fire up the market even more. Though I think there is another video game crash coming, similar to the one we had in the mid to late 80s. It reaches a saturation point and I think people tend to get a little burned out.

Even Microsoft is realizing this and revising their plans for the next Xbox, whatever that might be. So far I've heard that IBM is developing the CPU and ATI is designing the graphics end of it. MS lost big time with the Xbox, IIRC, it didn't sell as well as the GC and neither sold as well as PS2, plus they were losing $50 per unit sold and that basically amounted something on the order of $750 million lost so far.

14. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    >>> Nintendo ain't going anywhere. They have billions in the bank and always make a profit. Even when Nintendo had it's first losses 6 months ago, it still didn't lose money because it still made a proft, just not as big.<<<

If DS is unsuccessful, Nintendo will be crushed, says former NCL president.

>>>"If we are unsuccessful with the Nintendo DS, we may not go bankrupt, but we will be crushed. The next two years will be a really crucial time for Nintendo."<<<

Nintendo has been on a downward spiral since the N64. Their real cash cow is the GBA where they have no one to challenge them, that will soon change. In the Console market it's a whole different story. And the change of focus to peripihals reeks of Sega. That was the beginnig of hte end for them. The drawing power of the Nintendo name is not what it once was. You just know that things aren't to rosy in Nintendo country when you hear talk about them betting heavily on a gimmicky product like the DS. I'm not saying that Nintendo is "teh D00m3d!!!1!" but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see their decline.

-----signature-----

15. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I bought a couple of NES games (Ninja Turtles Arcade, Double Dragon 2) on ebay for nostalgia---and completely forgot how insurmountable it was to get htem to play! Yu have to get down on your hands and knees and "blow on the game cartridge datachips". It sort of worked back then, a mythical solution.

Apparently, games won't work now. It depends on how you slide the game in and press down to click them in place. I can spend literally---trial and error---20-30 mins doing this. The NES console was badly designed, and the "old days" of long-term use hasn't done it any good. Nobody could fix it, I bet. It's over a decade old!

16. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Take a soft sand paper and rub the connections. When you blow in the catridges you put moisture on the connections that rust. Sand paper is what a Nintendo technicien told me to do. It's no garenty though. I haven't tried it yet but I will.

17. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Uh, yeah, that'll work. Use at least 400 grain dry sand paper, maybe even 600 grain. Don't do it for too long or else you will rub the gold right off the contacts. I used to run a gold plater that made similar circuit board types, (including ATI video cards), and they can be pretty fragile.

18. MasterKingsama

Aug 18, 2003
    "blow on the game cartridge datachips"

this is why your nes is broke, this is exactly what you are NOT supposed to do. Not only are you blowing more crap in the cartridge, but you are providing a nice dap atmosphere to aid in the caking of aforementioned crap on the datachips. If you want it to work he are your options. 1) secure on of those triangle Nintendo screw drivers, take you system apart and clean the contacts in the machine using the proper electronics cleaning solution and a cotton swab (they say dont use alcohol, but i have seen others use it with out a problem). Then follow suit and clean game cartridges in same manner. or 2) Locate a nintendo approved service provider, yes they are still around, and have the cleaning done professionally to the system, and then all you have to worry about is the games.

NES repair options

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.