main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Nintendojo's Top 100 Nintendo Games (20 per half-decade)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 2, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Nintendojo recently did an interesting series where they did lists for the Top 20 Nintendo Games for each half-decade (roughly). Kinda fun looking over at what I've played/owned over the years, and thinking over what I'll pick up eventually down the road to fill in the cracks.

Follow the links for the full lists and why the staff chose them:

Top 20 Games of 1985-1990
    Top 20 Games of 1991-1995
    Top 20 Games of 1996-2000
    Top 20 Games of 2001-2005
    Top 20 Games of 2006-2011

1985-1990: I have played (or owned) all of these, except for Snake Rattle N Roll and Final Fantasy I. Though I didn't play much of Dragon Warrior or Metal Gear.

Still, so many classics.

1991-1995: I have played (or owned) all of these as well, except for Earthbound and Final Fantasy II & III (IV & VI). However, I do own the GBA port of FF6- I just haven't played it/opened it yet.

Also unsure if I played Tecmo Super Bowl AND Tecmo Bowl, or just Tecmo Bowl.

1996-2000: Haven't played DK64, Pokemon Pinball, Mario Golf GBC or Wario Land 3. I think I've only played Mario Tennis on a demo kiosk.

I was always terrible at every Wave Race game. The controls and I never clicked at all.

I rather disliked Diddy Kong Racing. I tried to give that game so many chances and each time I was sorely disappointed. I give it credit for trying something more than being just a MK clone, and the different vehicles were a nice touch... I just don't think it ended up being a fun game at all.

And I know there are those who will disagree with me, but I've always felt Mario Kart 64 was one of the weaker if not the weakest) entry in the series.

Yes, it had 4 player splitscreen multiplayer, but the controls weren't as tight as the SNES and GBA versions and too many of the levels were wide-open that conveyed a lack of focus.

It wasn't until the DS version that series really nailed things (though the GCN version was pretty decent, it's the version that got the least amount of play around here).

2001-2005: Never played Lost Kingdom, Boktai, Pikmin 2 or Mega Man Battle Network, Castlevania: DOS (however I do own the sequel, Portrait of Ruin) or Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

I own, but have not yet played (or barely played) , Skies of Arcadia Legends, Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door or Resident Evil 4.

Kinda disappointed that Super Mario Sunshine didn't make this list, as I think it's a highly underrated game and probably still my favorite of the four 3D Mario games (though I haven't played SMG2 yet).

It is nice to see The Wind Waker's popularity rise over the past couple years. It may have been loathed upon it's announcement and been received mixed upon release, but it's certainly become a fan favorite as the years have passed and the game continues to age well.

2006-2011: Only games I have played are GoldenEye 007 (but only a brief multiplayer match, haven't yet had a chance to give the campaign a whirl), Metroid Prime Trilogy (individually, though have only tried a little of MP3 so far), Zelda: SS, SSBBrawl and Mario Galaxy 1.

Haven't played Trauma Center: New Blood, but did play Second Opinion. Likewise I played Advance Wars 2 but not Days of Ruin. Didn't play Pokemon soulSilver, heartGold, Black or Whitwe but did play Pearl.

Would have played Mario Kart 7 but haven't bought a 3DS yet (that's on the menu for 2013, after I get a new TV and computer).

Always catching up on the past few years of games, so it's not surprising that I missed more in recent years than past ones. Plus epic RPGs tend to rank more often than not, and those take the most time to play (and, thus, the hardest for me to fit into my limited time for gaming).

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    1985-1990: Pretty much the obvious choices but they're missing great games like Ice Hockey and Duck Hunt, though I guess those are just personal favourites.

1991-1995: I'm actually surprised they put Mario Kart as #1. It's definitely a classic but I think there's a few I would put above it. Happy to see Mario Paint made the list. :p

1996-2000: Surprised to see Diddy Kong Racing ahead of MK64 but I didn't play a whole lot of it.

2001-2005: Haven't played most of these but Beyond Good & Evil is indeed awesome.

2006-2011: Again I've only played a few of these but both SMG 1 and 2 should be on the list.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd put the original MK as a top 3 for sure, but I think they are certainly justified in putting it at number one based on the invented-a-genre angle alone.

4. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    While playing it, it felt a lot like playing Banjo Kazooie, with DK characters, and there are surely worse things out there to be compared to! It's an underrated game in my opinion that receives undue bile. Perhaps fans felt it had lost its Donkey Kong-ness and become something ubiquitous instead of something with a unique character. Personally, I don't buy that. I'd happily recommend it.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've heard the main aversion to it came from it going nuts on the collect-a-thon angle

6. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Yeah, that too.