main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nintendo's new console

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by JONJEDI, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    Why do we need a new console from Nintendo the GC has only been out about a year now there working on a new console. I don't have much info on this so do's anyone have more info on Nintendo's new console.

2. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Because they need to at least keep up with Sony and MS. The PS2 only has a couple years left in it's life cycle. If MS and Nintendo don't want a repeat of this generation they have to have a console ready for when the PS3 is launched.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    And, alas, gone are the days when decent titles were still released for previous-generation platforms even after the next-generation platform came out.

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I still want KI Gold for the N64. :(

5. Invid_Clone

Invid_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Holy crap, Valyn! Yer alive!
    And by your signature, still having delusions of grandeur! :p

How the hell are ya?

6. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I've been alive for quite a while now, Invid. Thanks for noticing. In fact, I just had a birthday a week ago. ;)

7. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I think www.planetgamecube.com has some information on the next console from Nintendo.

8. g-blatt

g-blatt Jedi Master star 2

Aug 5, 2002
    Where?

9. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I stand corrected. The only things I see on that site is about the broadband and modem adapters.

10. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    They have a picture of the new Nintendo console at the bottom of the page. Can't wait for the next batch of Army Men games.

[image=http://www.carepool.net/Shop/ProductImages/01FPBO08025.jpg] :p

Personaly I think the Xbox 2 looks better.
    [image=http://www.rdrop.com/~jimw/Moffit_Field/34593_09.JPG] :eek:

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

11. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Here's the Playstation 3 after 5 minutes of use:

[image=http://www.data-recovery-info.com/fire-damage.jpg]

12. g-blatt

g-blatt Jedi Master star 2

Aug 5, 2002
    You sure that's not a windows computer? :p

13. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    Looks like my old computer after I tried to play Jedi Knight 2 on it...

14. WarmasterDan

WarmasterDan Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 3, 2002
    [face_laugh] I may be Playstation fan, but that is really funny. [face_laugh]

15. Verry

Verry Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2002
    It takes a while to develope. If you'll notice, they want to have it out by 2005. Sony and Microsoft are developing consoles too.

64 came out in 96(I think?)

and Cube came out 2001.

Five years.

Next Nintendo(2005) and slim four years.

If you'll notice, Ps2 has a huge user base because when it came out everyone wanted one because it didn't really have any competition.(ya, but he dreamcast sucked)

Which ever company gets their console out first will have a huge advantage.

16. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Dreamcast had a similar advantage and did not do well. I like the DC a lot better than the PS2.

17. TIE1138

TIE1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    Even though the Gamecube's and Playstation's successors are scheduled to be ready in 2005, developer's will need time to study the consoles and produce the software. So we're probably looking at a 2006 release date.

18. Miin_Bodenna

Feb 7, 2002
    According to the Xbox devs, Xbox Next will be out before any console.

19. TIE1138

Apr 3, 2002
    Hmmmm, I don't believe Microsoft has made any official announcement yet.

20. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    If PS3 and XB2 come out in 2005 and Nintendo in 2006, then the Big N is going to have another GameCube on their hands, and the point of having a new console will be moot since both the XB2 and PS3 will already have an entrenched userbase.

In other words, even more people who would have bought Nintendo consoles will instead buy an XB2 or a PS3 because it's there and it's the newest thing.

That is what the situation will be like in the US, due to our relatively impatient nature. I'm not quite sure how things will fare in Europe, Asia, or down under, but you can expect something similar to GameCube's reception over there.

21. Miin_Bodenna

Feb 7, 2002
    Actually they have TIE, but my link is gone :(

22. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I think PS2's primary sales advantage was not just timing, but backward compatibility.

With Xbox2 and PS3 coming out at the same time, Nitendo is probably better off waiting an extra year or two, than fighting a three way war. If Nintendo releases their next gen system in the same lag time like Sony did with PS2, they could wind up with the advantage just the same way because they will have a console way more advanced than Xbox2 and PS3, and another year or two before the Xbox3 and PS4 are released.

So far N64, Dreamcast and PS2 have all tried the same gamble, and it has only worked out really well for the PS2, but Sony had other advantages.

23. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    This is a little off topic, and just an aside. I think it was on IGN that I read it, the rumor is Sony's gonna drop the Playstation name for their next console.

24. TIE1138

Apr 3, 2002
    I believe ya if you say so, Miin, I just wasn't aware of it.

With Xbox2 and PS3 coming out at the same time, Nitendo is probably better off waiting an extra year or two, than fighting a three way war.

I really don't see how that would be an advantage, Kevin. Nin would have to wait a significant amount of time after the other two consoles were released, long enough for it to be considered a different console generation. Releasing any console after the planned launch date of the competing companies (in this next generation) would be too much of a gamble for any of the three companies that were trying to compete with the sales of the others.

Now, with all that said, what does it really matter who sells more or wins some virtual war that really doesn't exist to us gamers, only to the companies? If each company keeps up what they have, then there will always be certain aspects and outcomes (not just console specifications, but sales, profit, game quality, game variety, and all other tidbits that make a console good) on each console that are better than the other system's. Let's face it, each console provides a unique gaming experience for everyone, sometimes with each being more suitable for another. So instead of buying into one companies' hype or media propaganda, what you should hope for is 3 kick-ass systems. That way, if there are any "winners" in this "console war", it would be the gamers.

25. Verry

Verry Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2002
    No company is gonna wait to get thier console out just for developers to catch up. Nintendo will have at least five games from themselves lined up.

64 came out later than the original playstation. Playstation was number one then and now.

Who's ever out first has an advantage. Ya the dreamcast died. But I never knew anyone who had a Saturn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.