main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NJO ERA-Greatest Swordsman/Woman

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by sdhfs, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdhfs

sdhfs Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004

what i want to know is just after njo ends would would be by far the greatest swordmans around in the jedi order ?

2. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    I want to say Kyp, or Luke, but if you read the NJO series Corran kills more Vong in Personal Combat.

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Luke slaughtered the slayers in TUF-and they were engineered to kill Jedi.

I gotta go with the son of the chosen one.

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    For a while, Anakin had the highest count of Vong kills. And how can we forget Ganner?

But both those guys are dead now, and even if they were alive, how could they compare to Luke's exploits in TUF? Luke opened up one SERIOUS can of whoop @$$.

I'd say Luke wins, hands down. The way his fighting was described made me think that no one could take him down. He fought his way up the stairway alongside Jacen and Jaina without breaking a sweat.

When have we ever seen Kyp fight like that?

5. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    I'd say Corran, he beats one of their best leaders single-handedly.

6. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    Definitely, Luke. His exploits in TUF cement(leading the charge on the citadel, also killing 7 slayers, and He also killed Shimmra), at least for me why he's baddest mofo to ever live in the GFFA.

Hand

7. Barbatis_Rahl

Barbatis_Rahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2004
    Lets see Jacen said something like luke was so tuned with the force and his movments seamed to be perfect for what ever happend.

Id say luke.

8. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    Pfft. Anyone who says otherwise is sorely mistaken.

LUKE.

Kyp is all talk - every time I recall him picking up a saber (once) in NJO he got his *** handed to him. And no, Dark Journey doesn't count.

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Kyle Katarn, of course. Not a better combatant or swordsman in the galaxy at the time.

10. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Well, as much as I like Corran, I think Luke is the better swordsman. He learned how to fight from Yoda himself. Corran learned, at least somewhat, from Luke. Hand-to-hand would be a closer match... then, I'm not sure who I'd go with.

That's not to say that Corran could never beat Luke... I'm sure he could. BUT, it'd be like Tycho beating Wedge in a sim. It could happen, but not often.

(Look at me! I can get Wedge and Tycho in a post about swordsmen! :p )

11. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Yeah, but in single combat with a Vong, Kyle loses his sabre, Genghis. But you have to give him props for learning enough about being a jedi on the fly to whip an OR Order trained fallen Jedi after just a few weeks of discovering his powers. ;)

Luke on the other hand, was incredible against the slayers. The problem was his supporting cast. Put some combo of Kyle, Kam, Mara, or even Corran (going by those that were still alive by TUF) in for Jacen and Jaina, that Luke wouldn't have gotten bitten by Shimmra's amphistaff.

Just my 1/50 of a dollar. :p

12. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    In a few weeks Luke lasted against Vader. That's much more of an accomplishment.

13. LordJoda-181

LordJoda-181 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2004
    So here are our big contenders:

Kyle Katarn: He's got a great record for him and he was a saber instructor at the Academy during the NJO.

Luke Skywalker: He also has a great record plus he kicked the Slayers Butt.

Corran Horn: He invented a Few new tricks, and personally killed some leaders

Jaina Solo: She note only lasted against the Slayers, she delivered the Death Nell to Warmaster Tsavong Lah.

Jacen Solo: He was able to take out many a Vong with a foriegn Blade. anyone who can slap around a company of enemies with an Amphistaff is a good fighter in my book.

Ganner Ryshode: He went one against Hundreds and even though he died he took piles of bogies with him.

14. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Luke is the best. That's blaitantly obvious. But let's think this through as it relates to the other characters. Since ?greatest? is relative, let's look at how the characters stack up, relative to each other.

Corran killed Shedao Shai, but bearly, so it's safe to assume Corran was a better swordsman, but not by that much.

Tsavong Lah was Shedao Shai's superior, and given the Vong's military hierachy is largly representative of fighting ability (in the warrior classes anyway), I think it's safe to assume Tsavong Lah was a better fighter than Shedao Shai, and likely Corran (as they were pretty close to eachother). (Also, as Mara and Corran were pretty evenly matched in their sparring, I'm willing to put her more or less on Corran's level.)

Jaina killed Tsavong Lah (while stuck in one spot, and facing the wrong direction, I might add). That places her above Tsavong Lah, Corran, and Shedao Shai (and Mara, assuming her and Corran are relativly equal).

Prior to Jaina killing Tsavong Lah, however, Kyp did very well gainst Jaina in a duel. I believe DJ suggests that he would have won, so I'll begrudingly assume Kyp is better than Jaina.

Then came the Slayers. Fighters specifically bred to be superior to all other Vong, save perhapes Shimmra and Onimi.

Kyp was incapable of defeating a single Slayer (and was in fact doing very pourly against one), which means he is an inferior fighter relative to them. That places Kyp, Jaina, Tsavong Lah, Corran, Mara, and Shedao Shai beneath the slayers.

Jacen killed two Slayers during the final fight in the room with Shimmra, placing him above them (even if not the leaps and bounds that Luke represents, given the number he killed during that fight).

This leaves us with:
    Luke > Jacen > Slayers > Kyp > Jaina > Tsavong Lah > Corran (and Mara) > Shedao Shai.

P.S. Jacen's fight with Onimi didn't involve swardplay at all, so it's not applicable here. Kam and Kyle weren't shown enough in the NJO to place their current skill relative to others during that time frame. Anakin never outright dueled anyone we could easilly place in a pecking order, so trying to place him relative to the others would involve too much guesswork (more than what I've already done, at least). Suffice it to say he would be higher on the list than lower. And sinse he's dead, I don't think it matters that much anyway.

15. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    That's easily the best analysis I've seen so far.

16. LordJoda-181

LordJoda-181 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2004
    I agree with you but I have one question. Where's Ganner?

17. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Ganner's Last Stand was the Force using him to accomplish a goal, as was Jacen's First and Last Awakening. Ganner doesn't deserve to be on the list.

18. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    I Kyle is the best allaround pysical fighter, he took out vong with his bear hands (well kinda) See tales #21 as well as do some serioues damage with a saber, however i'd say Kyle is the Mace Windu of the NJO, hes good, he's as good as you get with out having Skywalker for a last name.

19. TypoCelchu

Feb 1, 2005
    While your arguement is solid, you forgot to account for improvement throughout the length of the NJO. Corran was never really a "Full Jedi" until a little before the NJO, so practice with the saber was kinda scarce. Even so, he managed to take out Shedao Shai early in the game. I imagine that everyone, even Luke, improved throughout the series, but those with less experience probably improved more, and faster.

Corran was not at the slayer battle, but he did manage to take out a crapload of Vong on Zenoma Sekot, and he was one of the first to engage a Vong at the beginning of the war, and he delt with the lack of force sensitivity better than most.

Furthermore, Corran does not have the Telekenisis ability as many of the other Jedi do. Because of this, Corran has to Improve more in the area of swordplay. He cannot easily float away, or jump over the enemy, so he must rely on his "hunches" and on his ability with the sword. Luke clearly has better Telekenisis, and can use this to his benifit, allowing a sloppier sword form and ability.

I could concede that Luke is better, but I don't see any of the others being nearly as good as Corran by the end of the War.(Maybe Kyp is at the same level.)

P.S. Corran beat Luke in a dual when He left the academy.

20. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Luke took out a Slayer with his bare Force. And when I, Jedi came about it was a mere sparring match and Luke was unfocused.

21. Barbatis_Rahl

Jun 30, 2004
    He has a point Akira, Corren did have more skills in fighting that he used against everyone. Vong and in sparring matches. Luke was unfocused during I'Jedi and lost in the match just because of that, as you read Corran admits he was better taking on all 6 blades while corran faught the leader. Corran had combat training that few jedi had, so its not hard to imagine his skills in that area werent better. This is probally the biggest reason Corran had less problems with fighting the Vong. He lived a long time with out relying on the force for tips and hints.

Personally id say they were on similar levels with Luke on top but corran not far behind. otherwise i agree with the break down.

22. General_Karrde

General_Karrde Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 14, 2004
    I agree with all of that breakdown except that Corran should be with the Slayers level.

Luke and Jacen are excellent swordsman but while they use their sabers they rely partly on telekinesis to enhance their movements. I won't say that they rely purely on that because they don't. Corran can't even do that! So I would say he is with the Slayers because they don't have TK either but they still kick a**!

23. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    When did Luke use telekinesis to enhance his movement?

24. TypoCelchu

Feb 1, 2005
    When doesn't he?
    Its like hes addicted to it.

25. Barbatis_Rahl

Jun 30, 2004
    He uses it mainly to enhance speed or to disengage, but agaisnt the vong tk push and shoves are harder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.