main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NJO Error: Leia's lightsaber

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi-Sith, Jan 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Sith

Jedi-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 4, 2001
    OK first in Heir To The Empire Luke built his sister a green bladed lightsaber.

About a year later in Dark Empire Vima-Da-Boda gave Leia an ancient red (crimson) bladed lightsaber.

Years passed and Leia rarely used her Force powers and eventually stopped using her lightsaber all togethor much to the dismay of Luke.

In Ambush At Corellia Luke builds her a new red (ruby) bladed lightsaber. Leia then starts to carry that red lightsaber around with her. She uses it in The Hand Of Thrawn Duology and through The New Jedi Order Series.

In Balance Point Leia was captured by Tsavong Lah and her lightsaber was destroyed when Lah threw it into the sacrifice burning pit. Then in Star By Star she is wielding a new red-bladed lightsaber.

OK this would be fine, as we can assume she now uses the old red one she got from Vima-Da-Boda. Until in the book it says that it was the lightsaber Luke had built for her years ago.

Now both Balance Point and Star By Star claim that the blade is the red ruby blade she got from Luke?

How is this possible??????

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "About a year later in Dark Empire Vima-Da-Boda gave Leia an ancient red (crimson) bladed lightsaber."

Vaporized at the end of Dark Empire.

"OK this would be fine, as we can assume she now uses the old red one she got from Vima-Da-Boda."

Like I said vaporized at the end of dark empire. Palpatine destroys it.

"Until in the book it says that it was the lightsaber Luke had built for her years ago."

I guess we have to assume that luke built 2 ruby red lightsabers for her over the years. One in ambush at corellia. Then he must have given her a second one later on(not shown in a story).

3. Jedi-Sith

Aug 4, 2001
    Thanx Valiento, I admit I have not read all of the Dark Empire trilogy yet....

However that still does not explain how Leia has her lightsaber in Star By Star when it was destroyed in Balance Point

4. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Notice what I said in my last line, does that fix work at all?

5. Jedi-Sith

Aug 4, 2001
    Oh dear, the two ruby lightsaber theory is the best that can happen. Is there no way that it fits other than that. Did Dennings just make a big booboo?

6. RaptorRage

RaptorRage Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    It's been suggested that the color of the sabre blade can be changed, without having to build an entirely new sabre. So it very well could be the originally green one from the Heir to the Empire novel is Leia's latest red one. How the color can be changed is debatable, if you believe that whole silly colored crystal determines blade color theory, or if its something else to do with how the sabre is attuned and adjusted. I've mentioned in a number of message boards that the lightsabre is not a flashlight shining through a color filter (crystal) and that determines the blade color. Many people seem to think lightsabre means a blade made from light, rather than a blade that emits light. The old West End Games RPG rules for lightsabre construction are not the Official Star Wars Lightsabre Technical Manual, but unfortunatly a vast majority of references and fans think this is the case.

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well technically they are "official", if they licensed, authorized and produced by LFL.

No matter how many errors fans think they perceive from such LFL produced works, they are legally the official word from LFL, and copyrighted by them as such.

Fan theories will never be the official word, and there for unofficial, and if people like to read and believe fan theories that up to them. But they still remain unofficial, legally.

8. RaptorRage

RaptorRage Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    Perhaps I should say the RPG material shouldn't be regarded as the tech manuals, but unfortunatly thats how its being used. For things like the starship images and stats it is more palatable, as things like size and appearance of the ships can be clearly stated and represented in the books and games for example, but when it comes to using RPG game mechanics of lightsabres to determine how the things operate in the movies and novels, thats what I take issue with...

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, I can understand your logic, and oppinion, and it makes sense to me on a certain level.

But to the chagrin of some, LFL has this policy that "All" information is fair game when used to creating rules, Technobabble, and things for Literature stories. In there persuit of cross-media use of info. maybe this isn't how it should be, maybe it is(never really bothered me really). But there is nothing we as the fans can do about it(I guess except for complain for all eternity, and hope they care).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.