main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NJO just keeps getting better and better

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ron corless, Feb 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron corless

ron corless Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 1999
    I think NJO has gotten really interesting around Rebirth and Star by Star.

In Rebirth we saw the whole gang kicking Vong ass,saw Han,Leia and Jacen do some heavy duty
    flying in the Falcon and we saw the birth of Luke's son Ben and Luke had increuble visions
    of him living a planet similar to Coruscant and
    him flying a starship of strange design(a ship of Vong design) (A preview of what is to happen post-NJO?)

In SBS:We saw the Vong take Coruscant and saw such massive space battles ever in SW literature. And it the longest SW book ever(over 606 pages long)

In Dark Journey:Jaina has her own adventure and pushes towards the Dark Side and the Vong
    conquer the Hapes Cluster.

Now let's see what lies in store for NJO in 2002 and 2003:

In Rebel Dream:

The New Republic scatters in other sectors of space and set up base on Borelais and Han and Leia travel from planet to planet in the Falcon to foment rebellion against the New Republic's disastrous appeasement policies. Luke Skywalker undergoes a suicide mission and infiltrates the Yuzzhan Vong stronghold on Coruscant. Meanwhile a Vong invasion fleet bears down on Borelais.

In Rebel Stand:

The Rebels continue to fight against the conquest of the New Republic's capital. Han and Leia are trapped on a small planet whose rulers are about to yield to Yuzzhan Vong pressure and give up the Jedi Rebels and Luke's daring mission is struggling on all fronts.

Traitor:

A hunted Jedi learns what it means to be a Jedi in the captured capital planet of Coruscant. This book will deal with Jacen and Vergere. Maybe Vergere will be the Traitor.

Destiny's Way:

I'm looking forward to this one for sure. We don't have the summary or cover of the book yet. But it will be on www.starwars.com within
    the next two months. All we know is that it will deal with the turning point in the battle against the Yuzzhan Vong and that it will begin Year Four of the Vong Invasion. Perhaps this book will reveal the destiny of the galaxy either for the Jedi,what's left of the NR,the IR or the Vong. I wonder what the map of the SW galaxy on DW will be like. Maybe it will show where the NR is now since Coruscant and the entire Outer Rim have been taken by the Vong.

The Force Herectic Trilogy:

Not much is known about this trilogy but perhaps the Vong will conquer Imperial Space hnece the title of the first book Remnant. The IR might seek refuge in Chiss Space along with the NR remnants hence the title Refugee and maybe the shamed Ones and the Vong will reunite hence the title Reunion. This is only an idea.

The final NJO hardcover:

This will be the ultimate showdown between the Vong,the NR remains,the Jedi,the IR,the Chiss maybe and the Hapans in an Endor-like battle.
    There will be an Endor-like space battle with hundreds of ships including Vong ships,IR stardestroyers,NR ships,XJ-Wings,the Falcon and Hapan Battlecruisers while a massive land battle occurs on planet/moon below with the entire New Jedi Order battles it out an army of Vong warriors. The New Jedi Order wins hence the title series New Jedi Order. The NR wins the space battle against the Vong and the Jedi and the Republic form a new government.

Well that's my idea of what the rest of NJO will be like. But whatever happens it's going to be exciting and I can't wait to read the future NJO books.

2. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Agreed totally ron, its gonna be a wild ride...

3. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Excellent analysis, ron.

DJ Spoilers ahead

I also loved seeing Tenel Ka in DJ finally ascend to the Hapan throne.

END of DJ Spoilers

4. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002

DARK JOURNEY SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!

I agree with what you said. Though I got the impression that Jag and Teneniel Djo's Legacy were pushing the Vong back from the Hapes Cluster. It even says:

"Teneniel Djo's legacy had arrived, and under the command of Jag Fel it was swiftly pushing back the Yuuzhan Vong."

So I don't really think the Vong conquered the Hapes Cluster at all.

5. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Actually I belive you are forgeting some important info ron. The Vong "Gods" orgin as well as Sekot may give the NR or whoever an edge in the war.

6. Isildurs_Bane

Isildurs_Bane Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2002
    I thought Vision of the Future was the longest book.

7. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Just exchange hundreds for tens of thousands and you've got it right. That's what it would take for HC5's space battle to be bigger than SbS.

8. Mrlssi

Mrlssi Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2002
    i used to think the njo sucked, but now i like all of the mystery.

9. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Oddly enough, Rebirth and Star by Star were the books that finally convinced me of how bad the NJO is.

10. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Really didn't appreciate Rebirth much at all. Conquest was great stuff, and SbS was good, though the events made me rather sad.

JMA

11. mr.binks

mr.binks Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1999
    My point of view exactly.

Jacen is starting to bring a vague inkling of intelligence back to the EU, Jaina is bringing back the full reality of what a 'kick-ass' jedi really is, and all the republic's annoyingness is being sqaushed.

Things are starting to look up.

12. Nom Anor

Nom Anor TFN Books Staff star 4 VIP

Mar 4, 2000
    Visions of the Future was around 400 pages in hardback if I remember correctly, although the paperback was considerably more pages.

When Star by Star comes out in paperback it will will be more than 606 pages.

13. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    I agree with ron. It does keep getting better and better. I mean we saw the Jedi actually do something in SBS, which was what I'd been waiting for since VP.

14. palpatineson

palpatineson Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2001
    SbS is the second longest book, I believe.
    The longest is VotF, totally in at over 680 pages, at least in the paperback edition. I don't think that it was 400 in the hardcover edition either because the print is quite a bit bigger and the lines spaced further apart.

I thought that the NJO was great right from the start. It added that quality that had been missing since ESB of the good guys continually losing. Though the enemies are a bit lacking any real second dimension, they are beginning to progress quite a bit from how they started.

I also like how the big three are not the main characters in these stories. Instead, we're getting stories that the YJK and JJK kiddie books introduced us to or at least developed more.

What the future holds is also promising. Treachury(sp.), action, secret missions, and kick butt space battles will be something to look forward to in the coming months and years.

15. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    I so cannot wait for EL! :D

Wedge! Wedge! Wedge!

Luke! Luke! Luke!

Ahh, there is a God. :)

16. Mrlssi

Mrlssi Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2002
    Yuzhan Vong are to powerful.

17. ron corless

Dec 1, 1999
    I forgot to mention there will be one more paperback in between the Force Herectic Trilogy and HCV. I think it will involve the Jedi and the NR preparing it's final assault against the Vong. I hope there will be an NJO book focusing on Luke. I know that the Enemy Lines duology will have Luke infiltrating a Vong stronghold on Coruscant but I hope the last NJO paperback before the biggest NJO book yet:HCV will deal with Luke like Dark Journey focused on Jaina and Hero's Trial focused on Han.

18. ron corless

Dec 1, 1999
    NJO analysis continued:

The first post-NJO book:

The NR and New Jedi Order have merged into a new galactic government and rebuild most of the worlds taken by the Vong and Luke,Leia,Han,Mara,the Solo children and the New Jedi Order head out into the Unknown Regions and Wild Space to see if anymore threats are lurking out there to threaten peace in the galaxy and encouter new aliens and worlds. Luke's son Ben begins his training as a Jedi.

The last NJO paperback:

The NR & the Jedi prepare for their final apoclyptic assualt on the Yuzzhan Vong.

19. Nom Anor

Nom Anor TFN Books Staff star 4 VIP

Mar 4, 2000
    Actually, I said 400 earlier, but the number 492 seems to stick in my had. I used to have a copy of the hardback, but I loaned it out to a friend, and his house unfortunetly burned down while he had. Needless to say I don't have the hardback anymore. My friend's healthy though - he wasn't home at the time!

If somebody could confirm the number of pages in the hardback that it would be appreciated. I just want to know if my memory is actually that good or if I just grabbed a random number out of my head.

20. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    The NJO, like a train, just keeps getting longer and longer.

21. Anakin_Solo73

Anakin_Solo73 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    It just seemed like the build up was a little long, parts rushed, and a few things could have been handled differently. Overall, the series is starting to take a turn for the better.

22. MynDonos

MynDonos Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2002
    palpatinson- the exact numbers, right here: VotF hardcover- 520 pages
    SbS- 606 pages
    you do the math

23. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    palpatinson- the exact numbers, right here: VotF hardcover- 520 pages
    SbS- 606 pages
    you do the math

I'm not going to dispute that, because I'm not in full posession of the facts, but...do you know the font size or the margin indent for either of those books? Have you taken into account the fact that books are actually physically slightly larger from some publishers than from others? What's important is not page count but word count.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.