main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NJO needs a Dark Jedi

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ChissMan, Aug 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChissMan

ChissMan Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2000
    Why cant it be a random dark jedi we have never heard of? WHy does it have to be someone we know turning to the dark side? Why cant it be a new character?

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Twould be nice to see the origional Emperors's Hand come back out...(Lumiya), and maybe fight Mara to the death.

3. Ralroost

Ralroost Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2001
    To answer your question, ChissMan, simply because it doesn't have the same effect as seeing a well-known character take the plunge, so to speak. It's kind of cliché, also, right up there with Imperial superweapons. ;)

4. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Oh yea, gotta have the Imp superweapons galore! ;)

5. ChissMan

ChissMan Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2000
    Why would it be cliche to have a dark jedi rise up? I mean, think of it. A young, force talented boy is tossed from planet to planet in refugee camps because of the vong. he discovers his abilitites in the force and with no one to guide him and all his hatred for the vong, he easily falls to the dark side. He hates the jedi too, because throughout the universe everyone is blaming the jedi...its not cliche. its cool :)

6. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Nice way, but over used idea of a Dark Jedi. SW has had to many of them...the 7 from the Kyle Katarn games, all Paply's enforcers from DEII, Kueller, Kyp and Luke for a time, Braksiss(sp?), and a few others.

I dont think Sith would be included in this list though, because they are trained in their own cult. Well, at least Sidy, Maul, and Vader Sith, but maybe the early Sith from TotJ (before Exar Kun's group).

7. ChissMan

ChissMan Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2000
    I dont count anythign having to do with Kyle K because Iv never played Jedi Knight :)

8. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    Tahiri is now too obvious, if such a Dark Jedi were to appear then it would probably be Kyp Durron or one of the Solo kids.

However, if they wanted a true ironic twist then Luke's child could grow up to be the next Dark Jedi (yet I doubt such a thing happening).

9. ChissMan

ChissMan Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2000
    Bah...theres too much space between books. I waited a long time for rebirth, now I gotta wait again...I guess Im hooked on NJO. :) Whens SbS come out?

10. suncrusherX

suncrusherX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2001
    nothing obvious about the most hated jedi becoming a dark jedi...

jaina's book is dark journey(ies, eys, whatever is the official name) not obvious but a subtle nudge of what could come to pass.

I don't think it's an overused concept. With all the force sensitives there's gotta be some dark jedi running around.

ben going to the darkside would be interesting, but likely we'll just get a bunch of worrying everytime he cries. I have a feeling it could get old very soon.

luke:I went to the dark side, will my son also go.

mara:shut up and raise your son luke

luke:eek:k

luke:but don't genes skip a generation?

11. TheLastSith

TheLastSith Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2001
    Its should be Luke. He is getting so stressed by the inability of the Jedi against the Vong that he decides to "sacrifice" himself to the dark side again and goes on a vong killing spree. After defeating the vong Luke returns to the Light Side demonstrating why he is the master. As a twist some less skilled Jedi may follow Luke's example and need sorting out later on.

12. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    LastSith, the Dark Side isn't something you can just pop in and out of. Luke knows that after having toyed with it once and almost losing himself.

13. TheLastSith

Jun 30, 2001
    Luke uses the dark side at will in RoTJ, when he force chokes the Gamorean.

14. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Here's my theory on Dark Jedi:

Tahiri: No way. It's much too obvious now, especially with her newfound relationship with Anakin.

Anakin: If LFL has run THIS EMPTY on the ole "Idea Meter", then I need to find a new series to read.

Kyp: I personally am of the opinion that Kyp is already wallowing in the Dark Side, but not using it conciously in a way that say...Darth Maul, Palpatine, or Kyp himself used when influenced by Exar Kun. I think he's gonna realize it, and sacrifice himself in a final attempt to redeem his mistakes. So I don't think he's gonna be the one to officially "turn" or whatever.

Jacen: Please. He's way too uninteresting for that.

Jaina: Yep, and I think Jacen's gonna redeem her in the book "Reunion". Kinda like the whole Dark Luke/Leia thing.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

JMA

15. JediBendu

Jan 13, 1999
    LastSith: Sure he uses the Dark Side (by the RPG's standard) but the Gamorreans weren't really hurt were they, nor was he being angry or agressive. This is not truly the Dark Side. This was just some telekinesis. When Vader used it, he did it in anger, that is the dark side. Force abilities are not darkside in and of themselves, it's the way you use them that counts (except in the RPG of course).

Its the difference between killing in self defence and killing in anger.

Luke only used it in ROTJ when he takes down Vader, and then he is sooo close to the edge that he's in serious danger of going over.

In dark Empire he actually did go over, and it needed Leia and unborn Anakin to bring him back. He now warns against any use of agression.

16. TheLastSith

Jun 30, 2001
    But it turns out that Luke is a hypocrite and realises that whats needed is a bit of dark side devastation. Probably all the important jedi will have a meeting to see who is going to turn and it ends up being Luke as he is the oldest, most experienced and there is too much at stake if one of the others failed.

17. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    actually bendu the rotj novel says he had a sort of darkness hidden inside of him, in his life. Then it says soon after that he used choking power on the guards. It was foreshadowing the darkness and rage he would unleash on vader at the end of the story.

Yes, some powers are totally corruptive, to the body these are of darkside corruption, and age the body, or do damage faster, than normal.

Some of the powers, are completly coercive, the more you use them the easier it is to cross over to the darkside, because they make the person strive for more power and thrill of it's use. It might not do it the first time you use it, but the more you do, the more it get's you to the turning point.

Some powers are so heinous jedi masters won't dare use them, powers that are of sith origin, and tend to be used by the sith to stay alive, or create total destruction.

Note this is coming from someone that doesn't play the rpg, so I don't know what you mean by RPG standards.

18. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    ...and the same unrestrained rage and anger he unleashed in Rebirth. Yes, Luke is about as hypocritical as they come - "It's bad for anyone but him to use it." But, once his own son is threatened, Luke lets loose.

NJO has a Dark Jedi and his name is Luke Skywalker.

19. TheLastSith

Jun 30, 2001
    Thank you.

20. JediBendu

Jan 13, 1999
    If Luke went to the Dark Side, he would kill all the other Jedi. Dark Side ain't a set of powers, any Jedi can use them. The Dark Side is a state of mind.

Using the powers leads to the state of mind, and the state of mind leads to the powers. It then totally takes you over, and you become a very, very naughty Jedi.

The Jedi kow the force must only be used for knowledge and defense, sometimes that includes defending others, but never for the total devastation that you are suggesting. It's not something you can switch on and off, otherwise Yoda would have used it to kick the Emperor.

Anyway, we see that Luke using the Dark Side almost makes the Emperor win in RotJ. It is only when he draws back from the brink that he can defeat Sidious.

Valiento: I didn't spot that in the novelisation... when I refer to the RPG it means that any time a Jedi uses one of those powers they gain a dark side point, too many of those (2 or 3) and you go Dark Jedi permanently.

21. TheLastSith

Jun 30, 2001
    Thats the nature of sacrifice though. To lose a few for the many. Imagine by losing a few jedi they could save the galaxy.

22. ChissMan

ChissMan Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2000
    #1) Genghis12, do you really believe your little line about how NJO has a dark jedi - luke? Because thats the stupidest line Iv ever read. lol, no offense, it just seems so stupid to me :)

#2) I never read Dark Empire, can anyone explain/sum up what happened with luke? What happened? explain, please :) :)

23. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Chissman...
    "1) Genghis12, do you really believe your little line about how NJO has a dark jedi - luke? Because thats the stupidest line Iv ever read. lol, no offense, it just seems so stupid to me"

I believe that a Jedi who has embraced anger, hatred and the use of the Dark Side can be termed a "Dark Jedi." Luke has embraced anger, hatred and the use of the Dark Side and therefore can be termed a "Dark Jedi." He was not seduced, he actively made a decision to use the Force while not at peace, not for knowledge, not for defense. However, thanks to the intervention of another Jedi, Cihgal, Luke relinquished such Dark Side power. This is what makes him dangerous - no one knows if a "Cighal" will be around the next time Luke chooses to unleash the full fury of the Dark Side.

No offense taken. The only thing that is stupid about understanding Luke's actions is not fearing for the entire galaxy when one of its most powerful Jedi Masters chooses to willingly use the Force in anger because of hatred wishing to utterly destroy a target. If that's not what a Dark Jedi is, I don't know what is.

24. Anakinfan

Anakinfan Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2001
    It would be much more cliche to have a Solo kid or other Light Jedi turn to the Dark Side than to have a refugee do it. Maybe, if Anakin is right and there is a Vong version of the force they will meet a Force Attuned Vong? Star By Star is coming out in November and will be 560 pages. Hopefully it will take me more than a day.

25. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    another skywalker turning to the darkside would be stupid,so would kyp. it should be someone unkown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.