main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NJO new republic's dilemna

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Azzgunther, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azzgunther

Azzgunther Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    anybody have any clues what possible strategies could be used to thwart the vong now? when the government fled coruscant, so did their headquarters for intelligence, military command, and so many others. what now? where can they reestablish themselves and with the help of who? i think they'll run to fondor or sullust for support and a stand. i mean, they can't run forever. fondor is logical simply because it's their last major shipyard facility that's still relatively protected. what better place to make a stand, especially if they decide to finish the weapons systems on their current crop of ships prior to drives and crew accomodations and such. nobody's really mentioned the ssi-ruuvi in these boards that i've seen. what about them? who has more of a dependance upon technology than a species who's ships don't even have live pilots? they've got more to fear and would be more blasphemous in the vongs' eyes than even the NR. plus, that would introduce them back into the universe for future books...if the NJO doesn't kill off the entire galaxy alltogethor!

2. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    They should move their capital to Bakura. It's out-of-the-way, and heavily defended (in-case of another Ssi-ruuk attack). It's industrialized, but small since it was colonized relatively recently. It is on the total opposite side of the galaxy from the invasion, yet is a major planet.

Fondor would seem like a bad idea. That would just give the Vong more of an incentive to strike it, because of the industrial complexes and it would be the capital of the New Republic. That's 2 targets in one, and not a good choice.

The way the series is going, the Jedi seem to be the only hope for the Rebels. Even if the military isn't paralyzed by the senate, they lost alot of ships in battle, and the reserve ships which were called back to their homeworld.

3. METZ

METZ Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2001
    they will go back to thier rebel roots..... vast fleets moving undected... secret networks and the like.... but kyp in DJ said he was going to help bring the return of the JC and that will be a turning point, Kyp though no fault of his own. merely by stating his oppion has devided the jedi now he and Luke can bring everyone together not just the jedi but all force users, then we will see some real changes

4. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Exocron. It's hidden and well protected by a strong navy (Aing-Tii Monks!)

I wouldn't set up shop at one of the Shipyards cos it would already be a prime target withoutmaking it the capital. If they had to go to a shipyard it would have to be Mon Calamari.

Why I here you shout!

Because it is well behind the front lines, not in the centre of the Galaxy where you can get trapped, and the Mon Cals abd Quarren have a large fleet of their own.

5. Roa

Roa Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2002
    They wouldn't go to Fondor its shipyards were blasted to pieces. Sullust, maybe. But Sullust's enviroment is a bit harsh. I was thinking Eriadu or maybe Bothuwai. Although Del Rey will probably do something corny like have the Republic set their new base on Naboo.
    As for the Rebels stragity who knows? They'll for know just run old Rebellion style attacks against the Yuuzhan Vong. But the Yuuzhan Vong control only about a thousand worlds so that could be a bit easier then it was under the Empire.

6. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    RD spoilers

Next taget for the NR is Borleas, thats right, its X-Wing all over again.

7. Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi

Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    They should hide in my basement; I can't find **** down there.

8. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    I think it would be wise to for the NR to return to their rebel roots for the time being, like at the end of ESB: a fast fleet floating in the middle of nowhere. I mean the there is so much empty space in space. The Katana fleet was lost for like 50 years before it was recovered. It couldn't be that hard with a fleet that isn't manned with corpses and people insane from some virus. And it doesn't have to be just a fleet, they could pull some space stations out into the middle of nowhere, sort of like the Yag'dhul station from Bacta War.

9. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2001
    Ha, thats funny. How well defended is Bakura? A few frigates?

10. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I think they should mass thier fleets for their new home. Then when the time is right(if it happens) they return to Coruscant. That has been the capitol for thousands of years and should remain capitol.

11. very-superior

very-superior Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2002
    The only problem with Coruscant is that it might be wiped clean. That is not likely though.

12. BattleDog

BattleDog Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2002
    They should re-locate to Hoth, with a bit of work the base could be operational quite fast.

Correscant is hopefully lost, the planet is corrupted.

13. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    the hoth reasoning was talked about in the glove of darth vader series for the imps

14. MynDonos

MynDonos Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2002
    was this before or after a shard of the death star II was found hundreds of lightyears from endor in the oceans of mon calamari?

15. Jedi Novaga Sage

Jedi Novaga Sage Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 1999
    I think no capital should be named yet, thye should just keep everything mobile till they can make the tide of the war turn

16. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Bakura is protected by their own brand of SD, the Bakura-class (highly original). They used that fleet during the Centerpoint fiasco.

The problem with a mobile base is that it takes a while for commands to be given and recieved when only certain people would have any idea where you are.

Since Allston is wrting the next duology, it could be Adumar.

17. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Considering the fact that the NR has lost Coruscant once before, it seems likely that they will once again try for a hidden base of operations. Think about what happened in DE. Pinacle base on Da Soohca(spelling please) V was the center base of operations for the New Republic/Rebel Alliance. Unlike the rebel alliance who set up cells and a moving headquarters, the New Republic kept the centralized military and governmental structure, without haveing to use the cell structure. This is likely what will happen again.

18. Azzgunther

Mar 7, 2002
    too bad corellia's so unstable...it would be a strong staging area with centerpoint and the strong local populations...though it's too close to the invasion corridor to be a sensible choice. i just don't want the NR to forget about centerpoint, if i had a weapon like that i'd use it in a heartbeat if called for...

good points all around. it would probably be wisest to maintain a central military and command post but not broadcast its location to the general public. i don't think they're desperate/limited enough to settle for hoth again, though...it's just too harsh and those wampas are nutty! although, anyone wanna take bets on a vong warrior vs. a full grown wampa now that i think of it? that'd be a good one. maybe hoth would be good, the vong would just be like, "f-that, we're not going down there." i really can't see, though, how any highly reclusive planet would be wise if they're to maintain some semblance of a republic. i mean, if there's no centralizing rallying point, all the planets will recall their fleets and get mopped up one by one.

19. BobaFetts_Clone

BobaFetts_Clone Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2001
    Centerpoint, for all practical purposes, is dead. When Thracken fired it, it messed up the station and it now lays inoperational. Last i heard (on eof the NJO) books, it was goin got take a LONG time to fix it if ever, so it;s probably likely that it is out of commision.

I think the idea of just havin a fleet at the edge of nowhere is prety good, but i also has its risks. If the Vong stumble on to them and have a dovin basal interdictor, it would be curtains. BUT if they divided the fleets into smaller fleets it would limit the risk.

Also, what abpout the inperial remenant? They haven't been attacked yet, though that could change.

Mabe even Hapes would be a good base of operations for a while. DJ SPOILERS:

Tenel Ka is now the head after her mother died and she has in her sontrol the (mostly) rebuilt Hapan fleet that Teneial was hiding. So hapes would be a pretty safe place to go.

20. Azzgunther

Mar 7, 2002
    true...but it's cut off from the rest of the galaxy because of the invasion corridor...what about fondor, sullust, naboo, bakura etc...?

21. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Naboo: It would be to cheesy to make Naboo appear all of a sudden. Besides, it's suspected something happens to it in EpIII, but that's only speculation.

Fondor: The Shipyards would already be top of any "Hitlist" But to put the captial there as well, No.

The best bet to set up a captial would be the Outer Rim.

Bakura: A good choice, and it's very far from the front line.

Sullist: One of the NR's last "Strongholds" It would be a good choice.

The question is which Planet would take them, almost all the planets are scared of making themselves target. They would be better setting up base on a remote world. May I suggest Hoth. ;) 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.