NJO: The Darkness Shaped - NEW POST 8th September!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by J_K_DART, Apr 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Princess-Solo Jedi Master

star 4
    Great post JKD! :D It was great to see how Corran's fairing in the battle :) And next we get to see Kyp and Jaina, you say? Evene better! He he. I can't wait :D

~JPS~
  2. J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, we'll be cycling through Kyp and Jaina in the next few posts - Kyp actually has more of a role than Jaina for a moment, so I'm waiting for the right time. As for Jaina? Soon... Soon...

New post on the way!
  3. J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm deliberately keeping them short at the moment, to reveal the strategies little by little - the next one should be good!

?Yeeeehaw!?

Plasma splashed across the Falcon?s hull, eating at her shields; but Han Solo sent the ship spinning away from the barrage of Vong weapons-fire, neatly evading most of it. The Vong capital ship wasn?t in the mood to go down, that much was for sure. It was pretty obvious the yammosk had guessed Han?s group was there to take it out, and it wanted to go down fighting.

If that?s the way you want it, pal?

Under cover of Jacen and Tahiri?s trick, Han?s fighters had advanced into your bog-standard entrapment circle around the warship; but now they needed the two coralskippers back in the fight, to point them to the bridge itself. As a result, the temporary shroud was gone, and a swarm of coralskippers had swept back into the battle to protect the yammosk. As Han saw one of his ships destroyed ? its? wing torn off by a dovin basal, the X-wing crashed into the surface of the flagship, leaving a dark gouge across its? surface ? his exuberance was replaced once again by anger.

Unlike some Generals, Solo had always made a point of personally contacting the families of those who died under his command. It served to remind him that these were human beings, not statistics. They were living, breathing people; loved and loving in return, with children and parents and brothers and sisters ? and they had died under his orders. Han hated serving in the military, he hated it with a passion, but for now he?d accept it as a necessary evil.

I lost my children, and I got them back. Sure, they were different; but if we win, there?s a chance nobody else will ever have to go through what we did.

He flicked a comm.-switch. ?Leia, it?s time.? The order given, Solo sent the Falcon sweeping away from the battle, until it reached a point where it was directly between a cloud of gases and the flagship. ?Now.?

. . .

Warmaster Tsavong Lah had correctly deduced that there was a capital ship hidden within the Maw, but his attempts to hound it out had failed. He had presumed that, since the infidels could not summon it out, it was not a threat.

He had been very, very wrong.

At her husband?s command, Leia Organa Solo opened herself up to the Force more fully than she had in years, and for a second she blazed like a supernova. As soon as she was done, she closed up again, and the Falcon returned to the battle. Had Tsavong Lah been monitoring the battle it is possible he would have deduced what was happening; but he hadn?t reached his quarters yet, and when he did he would realise just how drastically badly things had gone.

. . .

On the bridge of the Chimaera, Mara Jade Skywalker suddenly paused, then smiled grimly. ?I?ve got the signal,? she murmured, and then glanced across the bridge to the Grand Admiral. ?Recalibrate systems ten degrees to starboard. That?s where the target is.?

As had been predetermined, the Falcon had gone to a position directly between the flagship and the Chimaera; by shining through the Force, Leia had told Mara where exactly the Falcon was. She had also told Mara exactly where to fire the weapons systems.

Pellaeon slammed down a switch to the Super Star Destroyer hovering beside the Chimaera. ?Recalibrate all systems ten degrees to starboard, and fire on my mark.?

A couple of seconds passed. ?Ready, sir,? the captain replied.

?Mark.?

. . .

Yuuzhan Vong defences have several flaws, the New Republic had learned. One of these flaws is in the nature of their shielding; for dovin basals can only be applied to a limited area, defending against attacks that are anticipated. As a result, when an attack comes from an unexpected angle, it can do quite a bit of damage. The attack, when it came, was totally unexpected. A colossal barrage of firepower blazed out of the Maw itself, angled perfectly so as to be unaffected by the gravitational pulls. Lasers, missiles, torpedoes, all shot forth; the entire compl
  4. TahiriSoloFan Jedi Master

star 4
    I love it when Leia is allowed to live up to her Force potential!!!!! Yippee! :cool:

The suspense is killing me! All these cliffies... I'm the type of person who tears through a book as fast as I can because I can't wait to see how it ends ( though I would never look ahead 8-} ) then I go back later & reread slowly to make sure I didn't miss anything or misunderstand any of it. LOL I making a mess of myself with all these contiuning fanfics. [face_laugh]
  5. J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey there TSF! Mwahahahahahah, I'm mean with my cliffhangers, aren't I? ;)
  6. Dancing_Jansons Force Ghost

star 3
    This is so good, Dart! I know I sound like a broken record but what can you do.

I love that Leia "blazed like a supernova" - just like her brother. :) I think she is potentially one of the most powerful Jedi in terms of Force strength in Luke's order, and it is good to see it acknowledged. Are you sure you can't get a contract with Del Rey? You could teach them a thing or five hundred about proper characterization....

Lah Lah Lah....
  7. Katie_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    I agree totally with Dancing_Jansons. And I've missed the last few posts, but I love them!! JK you kick a$$ at this, way better than I could ever hope to be. And you and RRK write better than most of the actual authors. Especially the guy who wrote Destiny's Way, that was really bad. Too bad you can't publish this story too, cuz if only Star Wars books were out and not that many were best sellers, your book would sell the most. keep up the kick a$$ work!

Katie
  8. J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hi there, DJ!

I agree totally about Leia; in DE and the Corellian trilogy, we saw her as a Jedi; now the NJO has just forgotten that...

Yeesh, until I read NJO, I thought *I* had a bad memory... ;)

Hi there, Katie! WOW, HIGH PRAISE OR WHAT! :D Btw, who be RRK..?
  9. J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hi there, DJ!

I agree totally about Leia; in DE and the Corellian trilogy, we saw her as a Jedi; now the NJO has just forgotten that...

Yeesh, until I read NJO, I thought *I* had a bad memory... ;)

Hi there, Katie! WOW, HIGH PRAISE OR WHAT! :D Btw, who be RRK..?
  10. J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm afraid I'm on holiday for the next week, but a new post will follow then!
  11. TahiriSoloFan Jedi Master

star 4
  12. Katie_Kenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    You don't know who RRK is?!?! Wow, you must be one of the few cuz In swear almost everybody read's her stories. Her full name is red_rose_knight, she's written a million stories and she's one of my watched users. She's really good writer, one of the best here. And if anyone likes Harry Potter fanfic I've got some good ones for you to read too! Oh, and TheFallen is realy good too, if you like Obi-Wan stories. Adn anyway, you deserve the praise. Your story kicks butt!

Katie
  13. TahiriSoloFan Jedi Master

star 4
    I like Obi-Wan stories, but pick out only the very best cause my plate is very full right now!
  14. TahiriSoloFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Dart, how long is this holiday anyway?
  15. J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You don't know who RRK is?!?! Wow, you must be one of the few cuz In swear almost everybody read's her stories. Her full name is red_rose_knight, she's written a million stories and she's one of my watched users. She's really good writer, one of the best here. And if anyone likes Harry Potter fanfic I've got some good ones for you to read too! Oh, and TheFallen is realy good too, if you like Obi-Wan stories. Adn anyway, you deserve the praise. Your story kicks butt!

ALL of these sound interesting, Katie! I'm a little behind with the fanfic, tbt, because I don't have too much time on my hands atm... Do me a favour and e-mail me some of those HP fanfics would you..? I'd be interested... :D

One of my more amusing plot bunnies is an HP year 6 in which he has a new DDA teacher by the name of Luke Skywalker heheheheheheh...

Hi TSF, the hols end NOW! New post coming up!
  16. J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Inside his flagship, Tsavong Lah knew something was badly wrong. Yuuzhan Vong vessels were noted for the fluidity and grace of their movements; they simply did not jerk. Now, though, as he raced through the corridors towards his chambers, the corridor shuddered as though struck a glancing blow. It was obvious the infidels had somehow managed to hit the vessel hard. The Warmaster felt a surge of fear racing through his veins, but he was well trained enough to ignore it and to concentrate on the battle. The situation out there had clearly changed, to a degree that he could not begin to comprehend?

Then, finally, the Warmaster was entering his chamber, scrambling through the blaze bugs that clouded the room, and settling on the glistening dais that was the War Commander?s Throne. The throne was a living work of art, small glistening jewels implanted within the structure and marking it with glory and honour; a cognition hood hung from the ceiling towards it, and, not caring for the spines that pierced his body as he sat down, Tsavong Lah tugged the hood over his face.

The first priority was, of course, to lose himself; to take away all emotion and focus on the battle. The blaze bugs wheeling through the air before him were symbolic of the conflict as a whole, each bug giving off a subtle scent that identified its? allegiance and type. Through the power of the cognition hood, Tsavong Lah could link to the bugs, identifying everything that was happening with almost simultaneous ease. It wasn?t as good as a yammosk, of course, but it was a perfect second-best. And, using this, the Warmaster knew immediately how badly the situation had turned against him; his face twisted into a mask of hatred and he allowed himself a slight hiss of pure anger. Several of the infidel strategies were becoming clear now. The asteroid field had been detonated, trapping the Yuuzhan Vong capital ships within the Maw, where several had been destroyed by the chaotic singularities. Then, the infidels? own capital ships had leaped in and surrounded them still further, leaving the warriors attacked on both sides. Only a handful of the capital ships were not trapped in the Maw?

The Warmaster?s mind was swiftly made up. ?Commander Vaark! Retreat into the Maw??

. . .

?Twin Two, they?re advancing into the Maw!?

For Jaina, the battle was turning decidedly sour. Her normally beautiful face still bore a handful of scarring from the confrontation with Shimrra, and her long hair was tied into a ponytail so as not to get in the way; this was covered with the traditional X-wing helmet, a somewhat hideous fashion statement if ever there was one. Jaina didn?t really care. Her features were twisted into an expression of pure agony, as she reached out with the Force in ways she would never have dared try before. Vaguely she remembered her little brother?s death, his very cells burning out as the raw power of the Force blazed through his body; was this how Anakin had felt? No, he?d seemed at peace, whereas Jaina herself felt as though she only wanted to scream. She had to bit her lip to stop herself doing so, and then, finally, managed a little self-control. ?Follow the plan,? she managed to say, unsure of how her voice sounded; in her mind it was a hideous croak, but the truth was thankfully different. As per her orders, the snubfighters she was commanding with the Force pulled back, sweeping into the dangerously unstable Maw.

While others would have delighted in the beauty of the Maw ? a strange, chaotic panorama that few had ever seen ? Jaina herself had to keep her mind focused on the job at hand, and she could only afford to judge it in terms of dangerous gravitational fluxes and plasma storms?

Oh, and occasional small metal spheres that she carefully guided her pilots around. It was essential they not strike any of those spheres.

One TIE-D at the back of the snubfighter formation exploded, its? shields finally failing under a relentless onslaught from the swarm of coralskippers in pursuit. The ?skips wer
  17. Dancing_Jansons Force Ghost

star 3
    The spheres, the spheres.

Good post, Dart. I don't even want to claw your Jaina's eyes out!
  18. J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    LOL I must be doing something right!

Coming up...
  19. J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master

star 5

One moment the bridge of the Yaakarath was a hubbub of noise, as the flight crew struggled to understand the damage they had sustained a few minutes before; then, the bridge went silent. Every eye shifted to the sheet of transparent rock that acted as a viewscreen, and every heart began to beat that much faster as the Yuuzhan Vong saw death approaching. Once, they would not have been fearful, for they would have been certain that they were performing the will of the gods. But now, the Overlord was dead; and the battle was being lost. The gods were no longer in their favour.

The greatest testimony of that fact was surely the two coralskippers hovering at either side of the vessel; all three, the infidel and the captured Yuuzhan Vong, were facing in towards the bridge. At the back, the yammosk squealed with fright and sent out a desperate signal for reinforcements, a cry that it already knew would be too late. For the first time in its? entire life, the yammosk faced defeat. Every Yuuzhan Vong felt its? fear, its? terror, and its? numb disbelief. It had been bred to win, but now not even the yammosk could see a way of escaping.

And still the three vessels hung there. Had the Yuuzhan Vong been thinking, they might possibly have recognised the saucer-shaped craft as one that had featured many times in the history of this Galaxy, the Millennium Falcon. The records they had purloined from the Republic at Obroa-Skai and Coruscant would have indicated a proud history; this ship and its? pilot had escaped the first Death Star, leading a seemingly crazy rescue mission. This ship had been a key part in the destruction of that Death Star, and had played a major role in the destruction of the second too; it had flown in and out of trouble spots from Corellia to the Outer Rim. It had been one of the first vessels encountered by the Yuuzhan Vong, and had been part of the rogue Praetorite Vong?s defeat at Helska 4; when the Warmaster had pursued it, this ship had escaped, and again when the Peace Brigade had targeted it. More recently, it had been among the infidel vessels to penetrate the Overlord?s sanctuary?

And now it was here, like a great angel of death. Every member of the crew was silent, the flagship running on automatic; they were too stunned at what they saw. Then, as one, they began to rise to their feet and flee the bridge. When the invasion had begun, such an action would have been unheard of; but the Yuuzhan Vong were no longer so confident that they would be rewarded in death. They weren?t to know that the pilot, General Han Solo, had waited for just that eventuality, that he had chosen to hold his fire until his enemies gave way to terror. He had good reason for that, because for Han Solo this was revenge. Had any Yuuzhan Vong been listening to the infidel frequencies, they would have heard a whispered comment, ?For Chewie.?

And then the Millennium Falcon opened fire. The first salvo of shots only cracked the transparent rock, but it was enough to make the air whistle as the Yuuzhan Vong panicked. And still the bombardment continued, until, with a blast of explosive decompression, the rock shattered. The Falcon?s shields protected it from the destruction, but nothing could protect the bridge itself. The vacuum swept in, and the warriors died in a painless instant, killed too swiftly for it even to hurt as the oxygen in their lungs was frozen, as their very blood turned to ice. At the back of the bridge, the yammosk didn?t even have the time to emit a mental scream as its? body was stricken by the implacable forces of space itself.

The Falcon stopped firing. For thirty long seconds, the three ships simply hung there; and then the Falcon pulled back, the two coralskippers advancing. These two ships opened fire with their plasma weapons, cutting apart still more of the fractured rock-screen, until they had created a hole large enough for a starfighter to enter into the bulk of the craft; this they did, one at a time, the smaller one first. Both ships settled on the ground
  20. TahiriSoloFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Han is gettin phylisophical (sp?) these days, isn't he? When are people going to start listening to Threepio? He does babble a lot, but he also has useful information! :D What are Tahiri, Anakin, Jacen & the others up to? :confused:
  21. J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Heheheheh, I figure being married to a Jedi means you have to wax philosophical every now and then!

I *love* writing Threepio as being ignored but being right ;)

And as for the gang... Wait and see... Heheheheheh...
  22. J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    There'll be more in the next couple of days, being postponed 'cause I'm helping another student (teacher training) atm...
  23. TahiriSoloFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, Dart, just a small suggestion....you might want to change the title so it doesn't say - NEW POST November 1. Kinda decieving.
    Looks like you haven't added anything new in a while. Just an idea.... :D
  24. J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    August! Augh, I put the wrong month down in the title, I meant to put AUGUST not NOVEMBER!!!

Ooops...

Still, anybody who looks at that will know it isn't November yet!!!

[face_embarrassed]
  25. J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Shortie - building towards the very final climax...

OK, here?s the next post!

He watched the battle, and he knew the war was over. That knowledge was like the pressure of a million atmospheres upon the Warmaster?s heart; the Yuuzhan Vong were losing, and after a defeat this crushing ? on the heels of the Overlord?s death ? Tsavong Lah knew they would never possess this Galaxy. His own father had opposed the entry into this Galaxy, but had been overridden by Shimrra himself; and now it seemed that Shimrra had been wrong. For the first time, Tsavong Lah allowed himself to realise the truth of what had happened on Coruscant. For untold generations, the Overlord had lived; and through his seemingly eternal life, he had taken the role of mouthpiece of the gods. But Shimrra had died, his life had not been eternal; either he had never been the mouthpiece of the gods, or he had abandoned that place by stepping outside of their wills.

Either conclusion was terrible, for it meant the Yuuzhan Vong had actively defied the gods in coming here ? and would be eradicated. The yammosk was dead now; the Maw was preventing Yuuzhan Vong vessels escaping through darkspace; and the infidels and their treachery were destroying them, little by little. The flagship itself was only operating upon its? own mind now, beyond the control of the Yuuzhan Vong; and its? instinct was to flee.

As he melded with the blaze bugs, Tsavong Lah knew other commanders had drawn the same conclusion. He saw capital ships disappearing into darkspace in their droves, but he knew that so few of them would survive the jump; the Maw?s twisting mass shadows would destroy those ships. A dozen villips were opening, commanders warning that his leadership had led them to destruction?

And, on a microscale level, the Warmaster could see them; the Jedi Knights, their vessels arcing through space, dealing death in numbers that were totally disproportionate to anything they had achieved before. He had already guessed that their powers now worked upon the Yuuzhan Vong, and now he was seeing the inevitable consequence of that terrible truth. A weaker man would have cried at what he saw, as his entire life and all his beliefs collapsed around him?

And then a villip opened, and the face he hated above them all gazed out at him. The Jeedai Master, Luke Skywalker, the man who commanded these forces. He wore the helmet of an X-Wing pilot, but his features were still clearly distinct. Knowing he could not contribute to the battle, Tsavong Lah focused his attention upon this.

?You have come to gloat, Jeedai??

The man?s voice was calm and strong. ?I have come to save lives. By now, you have to realise the gods are against you. You have to know that you have no chance of surviving this. I understand sixty of your capital ships have attempted to escape, but they have failed. You know that they have, because we planned this trap too well.?

For a second, the Warmaster considered lying; and then he bowed his head. ?You are correct on all points.? The admission felt like it was tearing him apart, but Tsavong Lah knew that he was a humbled foe, that he had no teeth with which to bite?

?I have consulted with Garm bel Iblis, and in return for Jedi participation, he has agreed with my plan. We of the New Republic, the Empire, Hapes, and the Chiss; we are not like you, Warmaster. We do not seek to annihilate our foes.?

Tsavong Lah shook his head. ?The commanders have no faith in me already, Jeedai. Were I to command a cease-fire, they would never agree. I would not do so anyway, for it would be better that I were shamed??

There was something like pity in Skywalker?s eyes. ?Then I am offering you a chance? Excuse me a moment. Imp 31, ten degs port... Sorry about that, Warmaster. I am offering you a chance, as I said. Some of my Jedi are on your flagship now. My side is willing to call a cease-fire if yours is; and I propose that you duel one of my Jedi, to the death. Whoever wins the duel, their side wins the war, and the op
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.