NJO: The Unifying Force (MAJOR SPOILERS!!! You have been warned)

Discussion in 'Tulsa, OK' started by GENERAL_FEL, Nov 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GENERAL_FEL Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, I stayed up late last night to finish reading The Unifying Force, the final chapter in the NJO series. It was a great read, IMHO, and a nice way to finish off the series. I imagine that some folks might feel that the ending was "too nice", but I thought it appropriate.

I thought this book did a great job of bringing many characters full circle, and the cameos made by others weren't half-bad either. Kyle Katarn kept getting mentioned, bonded with a few seed-partners, and took part in the battle over ZK. Anakin Skywalker actually communicates via the Force with Jacen during the assault on Shimmra's fortress, as does Obi-Wan with Luke. Sadly, the great salmon himself, Admiral Ackbar, dies of natural causes on Mon Cal.

The Smugglers Alliance and many Jedi Knights from the early days of the NR are brought back into the fold to play a substantial role in the final battle. This is nice because with it involves some of the better EU characters to date from the past 13 years (Booster, Talon, Tendra, Shada, Kirani Ti, Streen).

My favorite cameo, hands down, has to be Boba Fett and his cadre of troops sporting Mandalorian Armor. Fett actually saves (that might be an awfully strong word for what he did) Han and Leia a couple of times in his brief appearance, but it was nice. After clearing an exit vector for the Solos, Fett tells Han over the comm that Solo was "never more than cargo to him. His real fight/grudge was always with the Jedi", which makes perfect sense (a la EP II). It was a short comment, straight and to the point. Han replies something along the lines "and you were nothing more than a nuisance". I thought it was a great exchange between two former adversaries who maybe, just maybe, had outgrown their own animosity towards one another and were instead focusing their energies towards defeating the Vong in one way or another. Do I want to see them sit down to a fine bottle of Corellian Brandy and a nice game of Sabacc? No, and I don't think we'll ever see that happen. Nonetheless, it was kind of cool.

The whole Vong being devoid of the Force is explained...and rectified. I won't go into details with that, but let's just say that it wasn't always that way. I particularly enjoyed seeing the Vong Priest, Harrar, defect to the Alliance once he learned the truth about ZK and its relationship with the Vong. He sat in the Falcon's cockpit with Han and Leia, he offered sound advice when needed, and he helped them infiltrate Shimmra's fortress. I just knew when they set foot on Yuuzhan'tar that he would turn traitor on them and show his true Vong colors, but he didn't. Harrar could very well be the next great leader of the Yuuzhan Vong.

The ending wasn't all huggy-feely, mind you. Everyone in the Alliance didn't drop their weapons and start hugging Vong and petting dhuryams. There will clearly be some lasting animosity, and rightfully so. Nonetheless, I think that it ended as well as it could have.

The ending of the story revealed even more ties to the early years of the Galactic Civil war and the early years of the New Republic. Pellaeon continues to be one of my favorite characters. He is one of the few Imperials who initially grasped the fact that the Remnant must join the GFFA or it will die a swift death. The term "Imperial" is slowly starting to lose its evil taint, and why shouldn't it? With Palpy and Thrawn gone, why should the current Empire been seen as evil as its predecessor? Time will tell, but I hope that the Remnant will continue to be a valuable member of the GFFA for a long time.

Now I am curious to see where they take this end of the story. For the love of God, please do not let this move on into another Young Jedi Knights series for young readers. I think its time to let the old characters from the Classic Trilogy retire and to start focusing on the next generation of Solos, Skywalkers, Fels, Horns, Pellaeons, and...dare I say it...Vong Jedi. It will happen, sooner or later. I, for one, hope that it is the former.

So, has anyone else read this boo
  2. IMAXPoe Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yes Jake, I have read it and have been comping at the bit to have somebody to talk with about it. I read it like 2 weeks ago and am glad to see you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Fett------Kicks major Vong butt and it was a very nice way to tie him in. I wouldn't mind seeing a comic line on Fett and his Mandalorians fighting the Vong during the NJO series. After all we are told by the Smugglers Alliance that this was not the only time he was helping the innocent against the Vong.

Harrar---I gotta agree with you Jake. Definately could be the next great leader for hopefully a more peaceful and in the force Vong.

This book IMHO is definately the finale to the Han and Leia story arc. I say let them retire and let's do more Luke and Mara and Ben in the background as we watch the new Jedi and the soon to come Vong Jedi as you so nicely put it.

The thing I am most excited about is the new understanding that the Jedi have at the end and the places writers can now take it Post-NJO. I definately can't wait for the Trilogy that is coming and takes place post-NJO.

Again, a must read and a great read at that.

Although I was a little disappointed with some of the EU characters being cast off eraly in the series and forgotten only to be brought back in like they had been there all along. Though I guess they could have had like 10 more books to cover what ultimately they probably decided could be left out.

Oh and the big disappointment had to be that fact the the Great Admiral Ackbar dies and it is only given like a side note. Would have like to have seen more developed there. Maybe add like 20 or so pages so we could touch base on his life but I am sure we will see some Ackbar comics ala Chewies death and comics.

So anybody else read this yet?
  3. Jacen_Solo81 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Alright I just finished reading it and agree with both of you that it was a great ending. As you all can tell I'm a huge Jacen Solo fan hence the call sign. I hope to see him mature into an even stronger character, but I really want to see him as a part of the Jedi Order. I hope he doesn't fall off from the galaxy and have them jump straight into Ben Skywalker as the new main focus in the EU.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.