main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NJO: What holds YOU to the story? Your list of positives for the NJO... (possible DJ spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by -Vergere-, Feb 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Andrew_Solo

Jedi_Andrew_Solo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 5, 2002
    There is so much I like about the NJO... I own almost every Star Wars book published to date, I used to run to the store to buy them the day came out, but it was getting to the point that I would just buy them whenever I got around to it because it wasn't important to read them anymore. The NJO has changed that for me, I now order every book early so that I will have a copy the day it comes out. The NJO has renewed my interst in Star Wars. I love the fact that the characters are not imortal. Doesn't mean I like them killing Anakin... It does lean more realism and suspense to the stories. I also like the character development, I mean it has been awhile since we have had new characters, each writer would create a few new character and then they would be mentioned here and there but not really be used unless the original author wrote soemthing else, now we see different authors adding more depth the new characters. I also like how the old are stepping back and making room for the new, sure I would like to see Luke do more, but I like how he has become more mature and thinks before he acts, as a Jedi Master should. I can't wait to see how the Vong are finished...

2. Azzgunther

Azzgunther Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Borsk Fey'la (spelling) finally bit the bullet!!! That right there made the series for me anyway.

3. rogue9

rogue9 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 1999
    Nothing about NJO has held my interest. I used to buy all of the books the day they came out and would knock them out that night - not anymore. I've not bought the last two novels and have no interest in reading them. NJO, with the multitude of authors, has failed to give the next generation character. All of the Solo kids are bland and established characters that could support a 400 pg book are not utilized. I believe the multitude of writers really breaks up the establishment of a character. Zahn creates Mara and Karde over a Trilogy and firmly establishes their character - same with Stackpole throughout the X-Wing books. - We see a little something different with the kids per novel, but really a lot of nothing.

4. rogue9

rogue9 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 1999
    SORRY - this is a list of positives........ um............ lightsaber fights have been impressive

5. Azzgunther

Azzgunther Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    like many have been saying, it's refreshing to actually feel some suspense when a dangerous situation developes due to the sudden mortality the charactors have developed. i don't know if it's sadistic or not, but i have to say star by star was my favorite book of the series not only due to it's strong writing, but the fact that 8? jedi died, fey'lya died, anakin died, coruscant fell...what else? i must admit it was rather bland to read the older books at times because you knew, just KNEW that no main charactors would die. what's to point? good job del rey for keepin it real.

6. -zero-

-zero- Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    for me im sorry but i have to say that i LOVE THE NJO because of the solo kid and all the other new jedi ......because i was a fan of the YJK ...

7. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    It's Pulp .. i like pulp.

The Solos grow .. I like the Solo clan (except in the last books but that won't stop me from grabbing the next NJO as soon as it comes out.)

The 'vong - they're fun to read about.

The classic trilogy heroes are growing old - enter the new generation - I like that a lot !

It's fun entertainment for those who have a wild imagination -

It's better to read NJO than spend your evenings staring at the TV watching something useless and mind-numbing.

It helps me keep up with discussion threads [face_laugh]

8. Mecca-Don

Mecca-Don Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    So, what do I like about the NJO? Besides the fact that it's Star Wars?

1.) The Enemy. Finally, we have an enemy that is not some remnant, warlord, pirate or other offshoot of the empire. The Yuuzhan Vong, with their hatred of mechanical technology, their religious beliefs, their caste system, (shamed ones, warriors, priests, etc.) and their use of biological technology are one of the most interesting adversaries to come to the Star Wars literature universe in a long time.

2.) Suspense. The fact that the books follow each other continously instead of jumping back and forth across the timeline like the Bantam books did has in my mind created an aura of suspense reminscent of the movies. That is a good thing. Now, we have no idea who is going to live or die. What side is going to win the war, etc. There is now a sense of wonder and excitement that I haven't felt in awhile from Star Wars books.

3.) Epic feel of the story. With the combination of suspense, fast paced action, mystery, intrigue and an unrelenting enemy, the NJO books, more so than others come the closest to recapturing the feel of the movies.

9. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

I thought this thread would be interesting to bring back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.