NJO: Who will win the war?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Aug 23, 2001.

?

NJO: Who will win the war?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
New Republic 66 vote(s) 86.8%
Yuuzhan Vong 10 vote(s) 13.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
  2. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I don't think this obvious question has ever been asked outright before in the forum.

Please state your reason why for either argument.

I think the New Republic will win a very hollow victory, just scraping through, with heavy casualties - people, planets, equipment.
  3. DarthGanner Jedi Knight

star 1
    i dont think i can vote cause i dont think either of them will win. the new republic will crumble and the remains of it will be forced to strike an alliance with every other major power in the galaxy. or at least i hope so.
  4. Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling

star 4
    The NR will win. But the only question is how complete will their victory be? Will they actually push the Vong all the way back to Vector Prime? Or maybe they'll just be one major battle in which the Vong lose the bulk of their front-line strength, and weakens them and forces them to possibly withdraw from some areas and go ont othe strategic defensive.

If the former happens, the NR will once again be the dominant galactic power. However, if the latter happens, the NR may have to face a resurgnent Empire, which attacked the newly-weakened Vong in the Outer Rim and liberated worlds in that sector, thereby giving the Empire a considerable PR boost and potentially allowing Pellaeon to have increased leverage vis-a-vis the NR.

And my hoping for an Imperial resurgence should come as a surprise only to newbies.
  5. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Well,....I voted YV because they didnt have any votes.

BUT, the NR will win.

But I'd probably appreciate the NJO more if the NR lost the war. A dark ending for a dark beginning. It kinda would fit in with Luke's vision of his son.

Okay thats my two cents.
  6. bterrik Force Ghost

star 4
    I think the NR will, win, in part with the Jedi. But it will be a costly war, with the Jedi, Imps, NR, and everyone else reduced alot. Many worlds will feel the wrath of the Vong well after the're gone (i.e. Serpindal) and to survive, the Galaxy will have to unite all of the powers on Coruscant and we will have another giant republic, like the OR, that will work, with a reneued Jedi Council and the Jedi. And Balance shall be complete.
  7. Dev Sibwarra Jedi Master

star 4
    The Vong will probably be torn apart. It's all or nothing for them. If they don't take the galaxy, they will probably die from a lack of resources.

That said, I doubt that the New Republic, as we know it, can survive much longer. At the very least, it will not be the New Republic that it once was. Maybe it will be something better (they could drop 'New' from their name). It will probably take years to return to its former state.7

In other words, I don't think that either will win. However, when both have dealt damage to each other, the NR will be the one with the strength to rebuild after the Vong are destroyed.
  8. DemolitionBoy Jedi Knight

star 2
    Cant have a New Jedi Order without the Jedi around. And the Jedi stand for the NR, in my thinking.
  9. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Is this bad on a literary point of view that 90% of people think it is a given that a certain side will win? Is the outcome of the war too predictable? The good guys win all the time? Why do you think that this is the case?

What forms your view and preconception that the New Republic will always win?
  10. Dev Sibwarra Jedi Master

star 4
    The Jedi don't have to always stand for the NR. They represented the Old Republic, until it turned into an Empire. Then they joined the Rebel Alliance. And now, in NJO, they seem to have severed almost all alliances.
  11. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Now, and into the future, they should be loyal unto themselves, not heeding the beck and call of the Supreme Chancellor as in the days of the Old Republic. They should be travelling the galaxy, righting the wrongs, and doing what is morally and ethically right. They should set their own standards, not standards from the politics of the day.
  12. LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Master

star 4
    The Drow will come and kick everybody's arse.
  13. Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling

star 4
    The problem is the simple fact that the Vong are not like the Empire. Neither Palpatine, Thrawn, Vader, Isard, Daala or Perllaeon wanted to kill everyone in the galaxy.

If the Vong wins, the GFFA dies.
  14. KansasNavy Force Ghost

star 4
    I doubt the question is as easy as it seems.

I doubt it will be JUST the NR, but rather a united GFFA. And the Vong might not be a single group in the end, but rather different castes.

Actually, I think I confused myself more than when I got in this thread. ?[face_plain]
  15. Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff

VIP
    star 4
    I think it will end with peace between the two fronts.
  16. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    How? - through actions of the Shamed Ones?
  17. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Master

star 1
    I don't think the NR or YV will win. I think it will be a combination of the NR military, IR, Chiss and Jedi. At this point, I see no hope for the NR. It's collapse is immenent.
  18. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    I think the good guys will win, and the Vong will be obliterated. They are too evil to stay in the galaxy.

I believe (and hope) that the New Repulic will cease to exist and become something better. It is too much like the government at the end of the Old Repulic, with too much politics and self-serving bureaucrats. This is my biggest gripe with the EU, it seems that they were almost better off with the Empire.
  19. AdmiralZaarin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think the Empire should leap out of nowhere while the NR is throwing everything they have at the Vong somewhere or other, the Imperials should just conquer Coruscant, just to put a twist to the predictable outcome.
  20. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It is a preconcieved notion in literature that the good guys will always win, and that there will be a price to pay of someone or something that is not overly important to the overall feel of the book/series/whatever. That is why some of my favourite stories are where the bad guy wins (like Fallen, or The Usual Suspects), or the final victory comes at a rather high price (series 2 & 5 of Buffy; No Man's Land; Kingdom Come).

That being said though, we've already seen that the NJO is departing a little from the established with the death of a mainstay, and the scarcity of the good guys winning. It holds that maybe the storyline will not follow the usual formula, and we will see something interesting as a result. Maybe the full resolution of the NR/Vong war won't be seen by the end of the NJO (and before people start groaning, remember, it took over 15 years from the supposed final victory, and 40 odd books for the Empire to be defeated). We might see the Vong with the upper hand, and a new Alliance of all the disseparate groups regrouping under a Jedi leadership as preparation for another series?
  21. Erk Force Ghost

star 4
    I thinkthe Yuuzhan Vong will win the war, by taking Coruscant.. then the rest of the NJO series will be about the Jedi and NR taking all planets back with help from the chiss "Empire"...
  22. Sologal Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't think there's any question as to who the victor will be in the end. It wouldn't be SW if good doesn't triumph over evil.
  23. Mecca-Don Jedi Knight

star 2
    I think the New Republic or what's left of them will win the war but I believe it will be costly for them in terms of lost lives and destroyed planets, etc.
  24. Anakin SkySolo Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree with Mecca-Don and others in this thread: A victory by New Republic forces, but at great cost, both to the individual characters and to the people of the NR.

Much like the Star Wars movie saga itself.

That said, the "New Republic" is just a political entity, and may not survive the war, any more than the Third Republic of France survived World War II. The territory of the NR, already partly overrun by the Vong, may fall almost completely to Vong control before the war ends. The political entity that emerges after the war may have no greater connected to the New Republic than the NR had to the old "Galactic Republic" (see TOS's Databank for a discussion of the "proper" name of the "Old Republic").

25. MoronDude Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The NR will definatly win... Star Wars is all about Triumph over unimaginable odds.

Unless the NJO is the EU's Episode 3... then the YV will win, and there will be a New Rebellion.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.