NJO: Who will win the war?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Aug 23, 2001.

?

NJO: Who will win the war?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
New Republic 66 vote(s) 86.8%
Yuuzhan Vong 10 vote(s) 13.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I put the NR because, well, I just can't imagine the YV winning.
  2. Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    NR, though it'd be nice to see a plot twist like the empire taking over again while the NR is busy fighting the Vong.
  3. barnsthefatjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't think the NR will win. I think the 'Allies' will win (Imperials, Hapans, NR, Chiss etc.) in a joint effort against the Vong. But not before the Vong effectively 'take over'.
  4. Darth_Duck Force Ghost

star 4
    THe NR

I figure it'll end in a grand old space battle with the NR taking a heavy beating.

The NRs almost gone, when an unexpected Imperial/Chiss/Hapen fleet arrive and help drive off the YV.

And then, after the NJO, i figure the Books will focus on bridging the gap between Ep1,2,3, and 4,5,6 with a few "Aftermath" books thrown in.
  5. DarthGanner Jedi Knight

star 1
    you forgot the ssi-ruuk. i wonder what they would think of enteching vong?
  6. NotQuiteSane Jedi Knight

star 1
    I don't think it will be the New Republic.

The Galaxy will win against the invaders.

I believe all the powerhouses in the Star Wars galaxy we know will play a role in halting and defeating the Yuuzhan Vong. The Jedi will break free from whatever legal/political hold the Senate has over them, there may be some factions to split off, but the Jedi will become strong, and like Anakin find ways to sense the Yuuzhan Vong in the Force. Someone will contact the Aing-Tii monks, who will aid the Jedi or the NR. Luke may somehow reach the Fallanassi again, who may come to help. The Hapans will give it another go. The Hutts, greedy as they are, will find some way to hurt the Vong for ruining business. The smugglers, those who haven't joined the Peace Brigade, will make their own effort. The Imperial Remnant will come out of their defensive bubble and join with the NR fleets. If the Corporate Sector Authority stil exsists (do they?) they will surely be affected and find some way to strike back. Let's not forget the Chiss, nor the setback Ssi-Ruuk. The Chiss I believe will make a huge statement, that they are not a force to be dismissed. And the Ssi-Ruuk, ooh, enteched Vong would be disgraceful and unclean indeed...

Every major group will find some way to work with the others to fight the Vong.

The Galaxy will prevail.

But not without full trust in the Jedi.

7. MoronDude Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    George Lucas will fly in with his THX-Vong Killer, and save the day.
  8. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
  9. Tellesto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    As with every installment into the Star Wars saga, the NJO will be a story in which the good guys will ultimately win.
    They may face a dramatic price or loss such as the Death of Darth Vader in Return of the Jedi or the destruction and loss of many fleets such in the Thrawn Trilogy, yet they will always win.
    It is the continuing theme in fantasy that Lucas has set as a standard for himself and other authors who follow in the shoes of a Star Wars writer, the simple truth in stories of mythical origin that good vanquishes evil and peace returns to those who wish it.
  10. GaMeCuBe182 Jedi Knight

The New Republic is going win, it seems like good guys always win, except if you don't count the Jedi Purge. They'll win, but by how much? That's the question we just don't know.
  11. Knight1192 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    While I voted for the NR, I think there should have been more than two choices. This is because the question has to be asked if the New Republic will indeed be around at the end. The likelihood is that it will survive, though it will no longer be the same as we currently know it.

Now, as for my reasoning for choosing the New Republic as the winner of this war. It is the same as watching the original trilogy. Despite the setback suffered at the Battle of Hoth, virtually everyone knew who had to win the war. While the Empire's victory could have been possible, it seemed unlikely that it would come to pass. Very rarely, if ever, are heros in movies created to solely loose. They tend to be created to win in the end.

Here we have what seem to essentially be the opposite. Yet is it truely so. Through out the NJO, while the heros manage to win, their victories tend to be minor. Only Vector Prime and Rebirth show any major victory for the heros. So it still seems that the opposite is true, the heros are created solely to loose.

Yet it must then be put forth that there is an essential flaw in this view. The majority of heros in the NJO already exsisted before the start of the series. Therefore, it stands to reason that the belief that they were created to loose must be thrown away. Heros that already exsist can not be created to loose.

However, this does not mean that just because they already exsist that their going to win. Heros that already exsist at the start of a new movie, movie series or book, or series of books, or even on tv, have a fifty-fifty chance of winning or failing by the end. As things progress, it becomes more obvious what has to happen. Usually, that means that the chances of succes for the heros increases.

Here, despite the fact that their loosing, we can predict that the heros will win this war. While the Vong do appear to be rolling over all opposition, there are plenty of annoyances to their victory. Those annoyances are being provided by the heros. And for the most part, the heros are aligned with the New Republic. Therefore, my choice for the New Republic to win. The annoyances the Vong must suffer also suggests that they will go from faceing what can be viewed as fairly minor annoyances to a full scale problem.
  12. Galleon Jedi Knight

star 2
    NR will win for the simple reason of Marketing, the post ROTJ novels and comics make way to much money just to be thrown away. The Vong may remain an important part in the Star Wars Galaxy, but with the mixed emotions that lucas arts and Del Rey are receiving from the story line by fans they will not give in a spotlight position.
  13. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It's war, no side will have won. One cannot put a price on what the New Republic has lost already and what the Vong have lost to wage their war.

In the end, both sides will lose.
  14. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  15. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Galleon, I like the marketing perspective - that goes back to my original point, it is bad storytelling in a sense, as we know from a marketing perspective, that the good guys always win in the end.
  16. Sate_Pestage Jedi Master

star 4
    The NR have to win..and better win...YV scare the s*** out of me...they are too creepy
  17. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think they're supposed to be too creepy. In any case, their obsession with pain totally freaks me out.
  18. AthyraFire Jedi Knight

star 2
    my prediction (if you don't want to know it, skip this part):

i mean it, skip this so you don't get mad

last chance

ok, so i think the Shamed Ones and slaves will rise up in the end to help the Jedi and the rest of the galaxy overthrow the higher chastes. i see unrest in them already, and the legend of the Jedi redeeming Vua Rapuung lived on despite the Yuuzhan Vongs' best efforts to stop it. the shamed ones and slaves seem more numerous than the members of the higher classes. so when it looks like all is lost, the lowest classes will rise up and defeat the highest classes, much like everything throughout even our own history. good over bad, opressed over opressor. see what i'm saying? hopefully enough of our heroes will survive until that point to make the ending even remotely happy.

19. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    When does the NR not win? I doubt they will win this war. The Chiss, Empire, NR military, the Jedi, and the Hapans will win this war, not any polititicans. Thats for sure.

Maybe the NR mil. will pull a coup and/or resign and help the Jedi, and the CHiss and the Hapans will also assist.

20. BYC Jedi Padawan

I voted for NR.

Very simply, Star Wars' original characters are on the NR's side, and the backlash of the Vong winning would be apocalyptic, IMO. People have grown to love Luke, Leia, Han, Lando, Chewie, Mara, etc., so for them to lose is not a great idea for repeat customers.

The series has been out long enough that the good guys winning is very rare. Because of this, the NR will probably get the Phyrric victory, and set the mood for future books and perhaps, even movies :)

Another reason why the NR will win is the namelessness of the Vong. Unlike the original films, the Vong have switched leaders often. Darth Vader, Grand Moff Tarkin, and the Emperor all have a certain coolness to them that many people like. Phantom Menace had the VERY cool Darth Maul. The Vong really doesn't have such a figure. Nom Anor is not focused on enough to be that figure, and other leaders are dead already. Plus, the Vong has not revealed their "ultimate bad guy" (tm) yet, like Vader or Maul. There's no one "maximus ass-kickus", nor a super genius type like the Emperor.

And lastly, everybody loves an underdog :) And since the NR and Jedi are getting hammered, they are the underdogs.

Bruce
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.