main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NNNNNext?

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by DarkLordSid, Jul 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    So, now that the August thing is looming large, what after that?

Well, there is still one more Bay Area convention in October (Silicon) as well as Halloween events.

Star Wars stuff will likely be winding down until the DVD release this late fall/winter.

So, any suggestions on other stuff you'd like to do, or that's going on?

Locally, for just "get togethers" I've heard whispers of the Mystery Spot, Roaring Camp (ride the train), movies, dining out at strange places, "Pirate Picnic", and some other things.

Next year will be hell on wheels with Wonder Con, Baycon, Comic Con, World Con, so start saving your disposable income, lots to dispose it on.

Plus the occasional outing to Disneyland again.

Let us know what your interest is, or if anything pops up in your location and we'll take a look at it.

In the meantime, have fun you lucky Comic Con 2005 goers, take lots of photos and bring back lots of goodies, stories, and joy.

2. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I think most all those activities sound like good ideas. I'd certainly be interested in checking out the train ride - I've seen and heard the train going by while hiking, but have never actually been on it. I'm also up for dining out at strange places, as long as it doesn't get too expensive. Movies... depends on the movie, for me. I don't go see things at the theater very often, unless it's one of the big sci-fi or fantasy movies. Umm... what's a pirate picnic?

And speaking of the DVD release... is there interest from people in doing an event for that? Maybe even in costume?

3. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Some have mentioned about seeing EPIII in digital, so I checked out a list of theaters..

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/release/theater/digital_list.html

Looks like San Jose has one and there is always San Francisco as well. Sorry, don't look like there are any listed in the Central Valley, so ya'll have to come out here for that.

4. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I'd definitely be interested in getting together with people for a viewing of RotS. It is indeed still showing over on the digital screen at the Century 22 theater here in San Jose. However, if people are interested in this, maybe it should be planned for sometime sooner rather than later, since we don't know how long the movie will still be there?

5. Ultimate_Mamas_Boy

Ultimate_Mamas_Boy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 2003
    Riverbank(near modesto) is booting epiii in digital for "The Island" on the 21st so you might check on that in san jose sooner cause later might not happen.

6. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    UMB - thanks for the head's up. I agree; I keep having this nervous feeling that RotS will vanish from the movie theater's board any day now.

So that being said... is anyone here interested in getting together in San Jose to see the movie again on the digital screen? Perhaps sometime this week? Showtimes for Century 22 can be found here[/link.

Althernatively, if people aren't definitely prefering digital over film, and don't want to drive over to San Jose, it's still showing at
    Santa Cruz Cinema 9.

7. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Looks like ROTS will go away in digital this weekend. So, if anyone wants to see it there, you got tonight and tomorrow night to do it.

Well, it won't be long till it comes out on DVD anyway, and my popcorn is much better than theirs anyway.

;)

8. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Yeah, but how many people have a screen as big as the movie theater's? ;)

9. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Looks like Digi is all gone in the area, The Island knocked it out.

10. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    But, in a way think about it... One Ewan McGregor movie is replaced by another Ewan McGregor movie.. Wish I had HIS Residual Checks! LOL

11. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    If we all lived closer together (read, MUCH closer together) and had tons of free time (pauses for riotuous laughter to die down) I'd suggest starting up a SW sit-down, olde fashioned role-playing game. But...we don't, and we haven't. Darn it. This being a grown up thing has its perks, but REALLY...

12. Callisto_DAerisian

Callisto_DAerisian Jedi Knight star 2

May 26, 2005

[face_laugh] u guys are a funny bunch! just visiting from the SFFF - although I live on the Fremont/Milpitas border (soon to be SF though).

hey i'd be down for a role-playing game... are whips allowed? [face_whistling]

13. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    "Are whips allowed?"

Only if my safety word can be "Mustafar."

*snork*

Uh...not the kind of roleplaying I meant... ;)

- Kai, afraid

14. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    I was going to mention that we have hosted Live Action Role Play events, but the whips thing just scared me back into my cave.

o_O

Besides, It's been years since Han has tried to jump out a balcony to escape the dark side, maybe it's time to give him another run for it.

Sid LOVES balconys...and elevated podiums... etc. etc.

;)

15. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Hmmm... so, as, um, facinating as the whole roleplaying with whips thing sounds... what about Sid's original suggestions such as the Mystery Spot, train rides, or dining? Oh, and what is a pirate picnic?

16. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Harrr... pirate picnic, where we all meet at the beach in our best pirate outfits and dig for treasure!

Been something we've been talking about for years now on and off, a fun day at beach that would be part party, part treasure hunt, part photo op, and all fun.

As far as other events, we'll have to check on that, it's been such a busy year, I'm loving having some time off.

17. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Boy try to escape Vader and Fett by seriously considering jumping off of of the balcony 20 stories up in the LA Airport Mariott Hotel once and they never let you live it down.[face_laugh]

18. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Pirate picnic - ahhh. Sounds like a lot of fun. Of course, it also sounds like one would need a pirate costume...

19. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Welll...my Capt Jack Sparrow is already in the works.... so I'll at least have that. (Hmm. don't know if I would want to do full makeup for the pirate party though. Kenobi takes enough time to get into and once we started looking at Jack's makeup ...gonna take even longer. lol...But at least the basic outfit would work.

20. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Have pirate costume, will travel. :) Although must put the braids and crap back into the wig, since I disassembled it a while back, thinking to convert it for another costume. Didn't work, so must redo so that Cracked Carrie's got her "ARRR!" back.

But really, now I'm thinking SW LARP. Curse you! Curse you all!

21. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    MMMMWWWWWHHHAAAAAAAAAA![face_laugh]

22. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Was that an Obi Whine?

23. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Had I heard rumor (could well have been rumor) regarding a visit to the Presidio? And, by "visit to the Presidio" did that mean, "Wow, let's walk around the Presidio and look at the Yoda statue and dream of what's inside the buildings" or did it mean, "Wow, someone far more clever than Kai has arranged some kind of inside tour of parts of what's inside the buildings"?

I think I may have interpreted the latter when the former was what was actually meant.

- Kai

P.S. Sure is quiet around here. *shivers and peers nervously over shoulder* Where'd everybody go? Was there a memo I missed? What is this leaflet, anyway, and why does it say "Jedi" and "Wanted" in the same header?

24. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I've been quiet due to a combination of starting a new job and to being sick. Two things that don't go well together, really. And I just discovered that someone had put the nighttime cold medicine in the daytime box - no wonder I've been so sleepy and spaced-out this week.

I don't know what the plans are regarding the Precidio, but either way sounds like fun.

I don't know if anyone here is a collector, but I noticed a thread over in SFFF about a toy/doll/collectable show in San Jose on Aug 27. Sounds like some of the SFFFers are headed down for it... anyone here interested?

ps - Kai, you did get that second memo that Yoda and Obi-Wan sent out, right?

25. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Yes all SCFF come on down for this event. Its the best toy show in Nor Cal that Ive been to, and since I will have gotten paid on the Wed. before it I can splurge without too much guilt! The Sacramento Valley Rogue Force will be attending (or atleast some of us), so hopefully this will be another opportunity for a coming together of the Fan Forces.

[image=http://www.svrf.swanb.net/toyshow_flyer.jpg]

SAN JOSE SUPER TOY, DOLL AND COLLECTIBLE SHOW

Over 150 Tables of vintage to modern toys!

Saturday AUGUST 27, 2005

Santa Clara County Fairgrounds
    344 Tully Road, San Jose, CA

Early Bird 9 AM - 11 AM
    11 AM - 4 PM

Admission: $5.00
    Kids Under 12: $2.50
    Early Bird: $15.00

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.