1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

FF:VIC No Battlestar on 10

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Dean1138, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean1138 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Alright, things are really starting to annoy me now!
    First 7 won't renew Last Man Standing - a top notch humorous Aussie show - then they announce they will be renewing Dancing with the Stars, All Saints and Blue Heelers - all rubbish and well past their used by date.
    Next 10 announces it won't be renewing The Surgeon - another great Aussie drama with superb acting and great thought provoking episodes - but again BB and Idol will be numbing braincells for another year, with all the CSI & Law & Order the US can churn out.
    Now 10 have announced Battlestar's 2nd season will not be shown either (and still no word on when The Sopranos & Six Feet Under might again grace our screens)
    What I'm getting at here is (sorry to those who enjoy BB, Idol, Dancing with the Stars and all the other shows which I've denounced, just my opinion : )) the free to air stations seem to be going out of their way to show mind numbing formulaic crap, worrying more aboout the bottom line than actual quality entertainment. It frustrates me to no end that season after season we are having to scour the TV guide just in case channel 9 or 7 have moved a great show to a different timeslot to make way for Hot Property or some other *****.
    Now I know these shows are popular and the masses find them enjoyable which is great but maybe they should at least give other shows a bit of a go instead of - as in the case with Battlestar, LMS etc - when the first show doesn't rate as well as they'd have liked they move it to a different timeslot with out any real forewarning - therfore any following they can potentially build is destroyed.
    Sorry for the rant but it just infuriates me!!!!
  2. Jet-Eye Jedi Master

star 4
    Honnestly mate, nothing has really changed. That's the way commercial television has been and always will be, unless society somehow transforms into an intelligent, cultured race of beings, which is unforseeable in the next 100 years. Perhaps the advent of some sort of nuclear holocaust could change that. Do what everyone else is doing: buy it on DVD. You have to question the honesty of 'ratings' when DVD sales of axed shows like Firefly or Futurama are doing so damn well - indeed, Family Guy was brought back from the dead because series 1-2 sold brilliantly that Fox or whoever it was, in an unprecedented move, decided to bring it back. I rarely watch commerical TV as it is - those ads ruin it for me.

Oh Sopranos season 6 has yet to be filmed by the way so don't expect new episodes for a while. It's the last season and then after that they have some sort of mini-series planned but that's very long-term. Sopranos is a bloody sensational show, ain't it!
  3. Dean1138 Jedi Knight

star 1
    That's for sure! That Tony Soprano would have to be one of the most complex, well written and developed characters to hit any screen in a long time.
    I thought they'd filmed the final season - oh well, still got that to look forward to.
    As for the DVDs, that's what we've been doing - watching the DVDs of all these great shows (frankly I can't sit through an episode of Six Feet Under on TV with all the banners and ads - ruins the flow of the story) but still shows like Last Man Standing and the Surgeon are just cut off - sort of left in limbo as they aint gonna be making any further episodes of them to see how it all ends up. That's what annoys me, we're getting some top shows from the US and UK (Blackpool anyone?) but as far as good Aussie fulfillment we are left wanting as no one really wants to take a punt unless it involves cops, lawyers or doctors (even then they still let it slide like The Surgeon). Thank god Love My Way on Fox8 - which is a top show as well - at least gives us a taste of this.
  4. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hence is the reason why I only watch commercial TV during certain periods of the year i.e.: when they are screening something like Stargate etc. I still have my thoery that Home and Away and Headland are still the same bloody show.

Cable, meh - I all I seem to catch are re-runs.

DVDs are the way to go.
  5. Dean1138 Jedi Knight

star 1
    LOL, too true about Headland and Home & Away. Though me thinks the production values are even worse if that's possible.
    DVD is definitely the answer for top US shows like Battlestar but the problem remains - how can we get good Aussie shows on our screen, representing our own values and culture, when no bugger will take a punt on them? As it stands it could be argued that our culture and US culture are basically one in the same - which in my opinion should be cause for concern as our identity is sadly falling by the wayside.
    If the free to air stations won't take a punt on something homegrown and unique then in the end it will be just clones of Home & Away, followed by endless repeats of CSI: Delaware.
    Ripper!!!
  6. Thok Force Ghost

star 6
    *cannot help but laugh*
  7. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  8. PulsarSkate Ex-Mod

star 7

What's that one about? Charles Sturt University students run amok with their ponies? :p
  9. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I didn't think that far :p
  10. Thok Force Ghost

star 6
    I was thinking somewhere along the lines of that being about murders in Jim Henson's muppet house.
  11. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    no no, that's Wakka Wakka Wakka, not Wagga Wagga ;)
  12. Thok Force Ghost

star 6
    oh right.

But still, that could be funny. Piggy could be the lead char, and Elmo could be the serial Killer.
  13. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    He He

'Elmo knows where you live!!'
  14. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    What is battlestar precious
  15. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
  16. Thok Force Ghost

star 6

:p
  17. Dean1138 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Apologies for the potty-mouth but it annoys the ******* ******** ******** **** ************ **
    out of me.

Battlestar as in Battlestar Galactica season 2 . . . precious! ; )
  18. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
  19. Jet-Eye Jedi Master

star 4
    I think we should open up the VicFF to swearing. Let's make it exclusive. Let's just UNLEASH and abuse everything and everyone. A bit of VERBAL jousting with an added, Western Suburbs bunt flavor, hrm?
  20. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You're losing in the VB Series dream team thing JE.

A bit of Malinga Bandara action has been good. what an inspired selection. Didn't even know who the bludger was. bunt indeed!
  21. Jet-Eye Jedi Master

star 4
    I am dominating the Hyundai Premier League comp. At least they don't invoke silly lay-offs like the australians.
  22. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Graeme Smith. Anyone who picked him is to be frank an arseclown.

just holed out for single-figure score again. To Lee, AGAIN. Ha.
  23. evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling

star 7
    If you miss these shows so much, why not simply download the torrents & convert to DVD.

Simple.

As for BSG2... why do you actually miss it ? It was worse than the original series..
  24. PulsarSkate Ex-Mod

star 7
    Now now, that's a matter of opinion, evil ;)
  25. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    sad, sad little evil :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.