main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NO BOOTLEGS. WE MEAN IT!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by jasman, May 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ECM_Boba_Fett

ECM_Boba_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2002
    I Agree TF.N shouldnt allow links to the bootleg to be posted but all you self rightous people should take a look in the mirror and realize you arent saints either.

Everyone has something illegal on their computer that shouldnt be there.

2. XR73627794

XR73627794 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Heh, water under the bridge mate! :)

And sorry, can't remember what banned boy's email was. :p

3. wicket1138

wicket1138 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 10, 2002
    Gosh Darnit Im tired of people asking for bootlegs!

4. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I just banned two people for starting threads about the bootlegs and where it's available. There is no flexibility with this. The best advice I can give you is to not even post in a thread about that. It's being monitored closely as well as the responses in those threads. So I would recommend totally leaving them alone. The thread will be removed and any responses will really be considered a +1.

5. wicket1138

wicket1138 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 10, 2002
    Okay Sapient, I just got mad and posted in there. Sorry.

6. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    No problem. I wasn't thinking about anyone in particular when I wrote that. :)

7. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Up! (Just in case some people can't control themselves for a few more hours...)

8. d8camjordan3

d8camjordan3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    dont ban me for saying this but....so no one on the ENTIRE tfn staff is going to try to get a bootleg for themselves? just speculation....again dont ban me...i am a 3 year member...just a new name

9. alent1234

alent1234 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2002
    A friend of mine gave me a bootleg of the first hour or so of AOTC. I got to watch 15 minutes at work. For the rest I'm going to VPN into our corporate network tonight and copy it off my PC. The movie looks pretty good. Better than TPM.

But here is my theory on the whole bootleg thing. I think it's a GL conspiracy. Ironically it's not hard to find the first part part of the film online. But the second part is no where to be found. I bet he did it on purpose to wet people's appetites and make them see the movie. A quasi-legal form of advertising.

And yes I'm going to see it on digital. There are a few digital screens here in NYC. I'm planning to go around the 25th of May.

10. BigWookieeBompinsero

BigWookieeBompinsero Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2000
    I can understand not wanting people to post information on where you can obtain a bootleg. Not because I stand on such high moral ground, mind you, but because I understand that if people do that here, and TFN allows those posts to stand, then it looks to Lucasfilm like TFN is aiding and abetting the bootleggers. This website is an invaluable resource to Star Wars fans worldwide, and I'd hate to see it shut down by the Lucasfilm lawyers.

That being said, I don't have anything against bootlegging per se. If someone can produce a crappy copy of a movie a week before it comes out and get money for it, more power to him. I don't believe it will eat into AOTC's profits, either at the box office or on video. I personally do not have a bootleg copy, but if I did, it wouldn't prevent me from seeing the movie at midnight tonight in the theater, where it's meant to be seen. And it wouldnt prevent me from buying the official DVD release, with all the extras like TPM had (that's why I buy DVDs in the first place, for the extras. And the superior sound & picture quality). The only reason I would buy a bootleg would be for the "cool" factor, of being able to say I had a copy, no matter how much the quality sucked.

11. darthdeity_79

darthdeity_79 Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2002
    for those who say they have NO burned or copied things on their machines...good for you. pure honesty. hard to find, but if its there, good.

HOWEVER, those peeps saying they have no copyrighted things on their machine i ask just one thing:

where did you get your little avatar??? did YOU actually create the artwork or did someone else?

if you didn't make it, then you are no different than a bootlegger. and unless royalties are being paid or some sort of licensing agreement was made, you are a theif too.

just my 2 cents, don't take it personal.

12. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Yeah, like there's any way to pay for a picture. We're talking about a movie. A movie that a lot of people wouod normally pay to see but are just downloading into their PC. There's a bit of a difference.

13. darthdeity_79

May 14, 2002
    regardless...stealing is stealing. many have posted this exact same statement. and YES, there are ways to pay for pictures or graphics. it may not be an easy task to track down the original author, but it could be done.

i am not trying to start an debate or anything, just throwing some more gas on the fire. if people are gonna whine to others, than be pure in your statements. otherwise, just let it go.

14. ManyBothansDied

ManyBothansDied Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2001
    I hear where yall are comming from but whether the movie gets bootlegged or not is irrelavant.

I bought the bootleg VCD, downloaded the mpgs and STILL go out and buy ALL the official merchandise as well as plan on seeing the movie at least 10 times in the theatre.

My SW collection is worth at least 10,000 bucks(at the very least) and thats equals about 1 semester at a prestegious school for 1 of GL's kids. :D

15. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Well it boils down to the fact that we're not going to get shut down for having a SW icon. We will get shut down for allowing bootlegs to be posted publically.

16. ManyBothansDied

Jun 27, 2001
    Werd up! No one needs a link to the boolegs, if you cant find them on your own, you're pretty sad. LOL

17. darthdeity_79

May 14, 2002
    exactly what i said in an earlier post. the people who download it and SELL copies are the ones we feed to the sarlaac.

the die hard fans who download it are the same ones who spend megabucks in the stores on plastic molded toys. my SW collection is HUGE too and grows on a regular basis, but i guarantee LF is not going to lose money on SW geeks downloading it. they will lose money on the bastards selling it.

if LF shuts down TFN for allowing people to opening discuss things, then they are acting just like those using crackhouse laws in the rave scene. just because people abuse the right to talk freely on the board does not give people the right to hold the board responsible. HOWEVER, it is in the best interest of all for the mods to "do the right thing".

and really, how do you expect people to NOT pirate things when the largest software manufacturer in the world built its empire on stealing????

18. BigWookieeBompinsero

BigWookieeBompinsero Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2000
    "they will lose money on the bastards selling it"

Not necessarily. The guy who sells a bunch of crappy videotapes out of the back of an old station wagon isn't necessarily the same guy who would spend money on a ticket in the first place. A shady peddler of stolen merchandise is more than likely not a Star Wars fan (I know, I'm generalizing, but you get my point. You can't lose money on someone who's not spending money on your product to begin with. Bootleggers, ticket scalpers, drug dealers, they're in it mainly for the money, they aren't necessarily consumers of the product they're peddling.)

19. darthdeity_79

May 14, 2002
    there not losing $ on the guy selling it, but the lost tickets because of the people buying a bootleg instead of a theater ticket. that's all i meant.

besides that, i am sure once the people get their nice bootleg home and pop it in the VCR/DVD/PC, they are gonna whine about resolution and end up paying to see it in a theater anyway. unless of course they really are that cheap.

20. ManyBothansDied

Jun 27, 2001
    "We pay the police (off)...either in cash or in stock (discs)," he said, speaking while dexterously slipping VCD covers onto individual plastic cases."

This lil kid in Malasia is my hero of the week. :D

21. greedo29

greedo29 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2000
    Does this mean Barry Switzer can't come? I mean, his daddy was a bootlegger, but he wasn't.

22. Jedisith1138

Jedisith1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2002
    is this still important

23. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "is this still important"

Yes. It is very important. Just because the movie may be out (within the next 24 hours), doesn't mean that there is any less a want for a bootleg. Especially after people see the movie once in the theater, they will want to see it again, and they won't mind the quality of the bootleg as much, since they have seen it once the way it should be seen. A lot of people seem to think that if they see it once in a theater, they should be able to see it as many times as possible without paying more.

Yes, it is still important. Bootlegs are still illegal.

24. Jedisith1138

Jedisith1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2002
    ok thats what i thought. This threas dissapeared for a while, and i thought it had been forgotten

25. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    i ain't getting a bootleg and i can't see aotc til next saturday. my week is packed.
    legal pictures, reading book and buying toys is all that is keeping me from going to the theater and blowing off all my important plans. i started to reread the book. my yoda and annie hanger are shipping. i may make til sat. i perfer to enjoy sw legally. however i have friends who don't. sad poor fools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.