main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NO BOOTLEGS. WE MEAN IT!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by jasman, May 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High_55

High_55 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2001
    Very interesting responses - here's my take. Have you ever copied anything? If you have you have no right to discuss this thread and bash the others are who are joining in on this criminal act and bootlegging AOTC. It is there choice. If they choose not to see AOTC in a digital theatre and miss out on the awesome experience of seeing it on the big screen - so what? The movie is not gonna suffer any, it's still going to gross well over a couple of million dollars. What is the big deal?

2. Savle_Sostas

Savle_Sostas Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2001
    I went to see AOTC once at the cinema and then I bought a bootleg. The quality is incredible but it still does not compare to seeing AOTC at the pictures, nothing can compare to any SW film at the pictures. But I make no apologies for getting a bootleg, it was cheap and I can watch it any number of times I want. I'll still buy it on official DVD if it has decent extras, but I don't see why I shouldn't try and do the best I can for myself. Going to see AOTC at the cinema two, three, four or more times would cost a bomb.

3. Dooku_Dipers

Dooku_Dipers Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2002
    That's it your kicked off

4. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    What do you do for a job? Let's say you own a grocery store. I bought a box of cereal the other day. It was good. But now I found a way to get as much cereal for free as I want, by sneaking it out the back door. Sure, it's the off-brand cereal, but it's still your ceral. You don't care, do you?

That's essentially what happens when you use a bootleg.

5. Savle_Sostas

Oct 11, 2001
    Depends how hungry you are and how much money you have. We all have to live within our means whatever they may be.

6. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Some people are trying to rationalize bootlegs?

Ummmmm, why not try to justify shoplifting? [face_plain]

7. Dooku_Dipers

Dooku_Dipers Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2002
    Your all breaking the Thread Rules! No advocating of Illeagl activities and must be kicked off.

8. Savle_Sostas

Oct 11, 2001
    I apologise fully for advocating illegal activities. "You must do what you feel is right, of course."

9. DARTHSURPRISE

DARTHSURPRISE Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    bootlegs= Crap
    It has always been this way and probably always will.

10. DARTHSURPRISE

DARTHSURPRISE Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Would I be breaking the Thread Rules if I advocated sneaking into the theater to see the movie? I know advocating of Illeagl activities means being kicked off.

11. FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002

FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    You haven't seen the FOTR bootleg.
    The quality was as good as can be.

However, copyright theft is a crime.
    Do not accept it.

I'm a good boy.

12. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    Some people may "advocate" bootlegs but they are not selling them or asking for any. They don't deserve to be banned for saying that he or she has a copy which they choose to watch.

13. Yop

Yop Jedi Master star 1

Feb 27, 1999
    Patience people.

Anyway, after you hit 25, the months & years go by so quickly that you'll never notice you've been waiting.

I feel old.

14. CaptPanakaBacca

CaptPanakaBacca Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 16, 2002
    It's a surprise that no one has thought of mentioning the Drive-In instead of theatres. LOL. Before the long waits of movies on video, I remember taking my cheap home cassette tape recorder and record the audio from the Drive-In speaker so i could listen to ROTJ until the video release. Ahhh the good old days.

15. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Up again.

16. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    hey what about once AOTC is done at the movies.Some people can't wait 6mth for a vid/DVD release so why not get a bootleg to tide over the wait then buy a DVD/vid.

17. Harabec

Harabec Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    Even once AOTC goes out of the regular theaters in a while, you'll still be able to catch it at the dollar theaters.

You'll be able to make it to the DVD release just fine.

18. ECM_Boba_Fett

ECM_Boba_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2002
    am getting sick of this stupid debate.

Everyone on these boards has something illegally on their computer. Software, games movies, music etc it doesnt matter what everyone here has something that they didnt buy or something thats cracked or hacked or bootleg.

If you copy a song on your computer its illegal. Its the same as video tapes they tell you not to copy movies but they sell blank tapes. Same with Cds.

I am sure everyone here knows kazza bearshare etc, am i sure everyones gotten a song off them and guess what its illegal if it wasnt explain napster.

So before some of you start preaching about the morals and illegals of bootlegs check what you have on your computer then write your post.

Anyways I thought the point of this thread was to explain why you are going to wait until seeing it in the theatres and not the bootleg not preaching about bootlegs.

Like i said everyone has something they didnt buy or shouldnt have on their computer

19. CaptPanakaBacca

CaptPanakaBacca Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 16, 2002
    LOL! sheesh

20. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    ECM for the most part I agree with you but most of what you mentioned falls into fair use.

21. ECM_Boba_Fett

ECM_Boba_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2002
    Fair use?

Ripping off Cds and programs isnt fair use. If they were explain what happened to Napster? The music community considered it illegal and thats why they took Napster to court.

Kazza and things like bearshare cant be shutdown because they are peer to peer and if they could be shut down it would have done by now.
    We all have programs that are cracked or hacked.
    Also if you burn a music cd of a cd you bought is still illegal and considered bootleg. Cds fall under the law the same as VHS tapes and cassette tapes they arent meant to copy copyrighted material.

They are meant to copy family pictures backup files (data)and other personal things.
    Everytime you leach a picture from a website you are stealing something. Just because its easy to do these things does make it fair pair or legal.

My whole point is people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones. I have respect for people who go paid money and see it in the show a few times and then get a bootleg to watch at home and pick up things they didnt see at the theatre.

I have had the bootleg since may 10 and ive not shared it or told anyone where to get it because i may do it but i wont promote it

So once again not everyone here is obeying the copyright laws and shouldnt open their mouths and start laying into people who willinly defend bootlegs. Its like christians bitching about people sinning and in their own house they are doing the same damm.

Also anyone that says they dont have anything illegal on their computer is lying and if you say you arent let me log into your computer and run a program that checks for hacked,cracked and unauthorized material on someones computer.

22. Ender_needs_Bean

Ender_needs_Bean Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    George Lucas pushes all these digital inovations on the marketplace, but he doesn't even come up with a plan to stop piracy?

Many people want fully digital cinema because essentially, the studio would only have to produce a few masters of the film and keep a watchdog eye on them, and then satelite uplink the movie to the theatres. So, essentially... NO THEATRES would receive a physical print. THERE WOULD ONLY BE a few master copies in the world (that the studios could monitor/protect) and the only piracy issue would be camcorder recordings... but those are sh_tty, so I don't think they'd even care.

The MPAA MUST DEVELOP SOME KIND OF PLAN, or cinema will change for ever...

23. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Cds fall under the law the same as VHS tapes and cassette tapes they arent meant to copy copyrighted material.

Like I said I agree with all you say about everyone having something that is hacked, cracked, or otherwise illegal on their computers.

I was just saying that the reason that they have blank tapes, CDs, etc. does fall under fair use. I can copy every CD I own onto what ever media I want. And that includes digital media if I want.

But yeah bootlegs don't fall under that standard so its a mute point. ;)

24. Now_Serving_No1138

Now_Serving_No1138 Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2002
    Why is this even an issue?!?

Bootlegging is illegal.

TFN could get into trouble if anyone here asks for / places a link to bootleg sites. Legal issues aside, any such behaviour is a betrayal of trust.

Also anyone who thinks Lucasfilm isn't affected by bootlegging isn't thinking. People get bootlegs to avoid having to pay at the cinema (Leave the house!? Spend money!? Good Lord, why!?). Surely bootlegging affects the box office for the movie. I don't know how movie money / distribution / box office receipts works, but at some point lowered box office receipts due to bootlegging must affect Lucasfilm. How fair is that? Do they not deserve our money for their (outstanding) work?

Freeloaders and bootleggers need to wise up. Go pay at the cinema fools. Already done that? Go pay again. Then wait a few months for the DVD. It's not hard to wait a few months, especially when you have a life.

Here endeth my rant.

25. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    there is no stopping BOOTLEGGING just like there is no stopping shoplifting.

people will do what people want to do.

people love anything that is FREE no matter how bad it is.

the movie and music industry can do more then what they are doing in trying to stop bootlegging but since it hasn't effected their bottom line as much they aren't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.