NO BOOTLEGS. WE MEAN IT!

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by jasman, May 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImperialFC Jedi Knight

star 1
    If you copy a song on your computer its illegal. Its the same as video tapes they tell you not to copy movies but they sell blank tapes. Same with Cds.

It is not illegal to copy a show or movie (the ones on TV not rentals, etc.) at home for personal use as it falls under fair use.

VCR History
    "Two movie studios, Disney and Universal, promptly sued, claiming that home video recording constituted copyright infringement. Ultimately, it took a January 1984 U.S. Supreme Court decision to conclude that VCRs were legal products and that home taping of copyrighted works fell under the "fair use" exception to copyright."

EDIT: Added stuff about which kinds of movies :)
  2. Jango_Sith Jedi Knight

who gives a crap if you copy s cd or tape or movie????? They wouldnt make these blank cd's and whatnot if we couldnt make copies. I say if you have the ability to get something and you dont have to pay for it, then good for you, you beat the system. What do you want a cookie cuz you're "clean". C'mon now, stop crying about it.
  3. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
  4. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    It is still wrong, no matter how much you've spent to see it.
  5. Icebreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Man...if you have spent that much movies on tickets for the theater I don't see whats wrong with downloading a bootleg. It will still be *illegal* but you've paid enough money so0o far, so *morally* its not bad (HeHe)
    :D

~ICeBReaKeR
    His abilities have made him...arrogant
  6. SLAVE2 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    OK, YodaOfTheSith's sig just freaked me out, I hadn't seen it till now. Its not true right?
  7. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    No, it's not true. It's just a bad case of Internet Drama. In fact, he was talking on AIM earlier today. Also, he came back earlier today as a sock (YodaOfTheSith2).
  8. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Up.... some people still don't understand [face_plain]
  9. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'd like to chime in here that, mere minutes ago, I was given a bootleg copy of AOTC by a friend of mine, who bought it for me as a gift.

I watched about ten minutes of it and turned it off! The picture quality was so poor, the sound cut out so often, that I decided it wasn't worth it to squint at for two+ hours!

No, I'd much rather wait till November for the official DVD, and see AOTC in all its dazzling, Lucasfilm-sanctioned glory. The bootleg will stay on my shelf as a momento of what SHOULD NOT be.
  10. smauldookie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    why buy dvd's and vhs copies of movies and tv shows when you can get them for FREE?????

Why even have a PC if you can't use it to your advantage? :D

I will never ever buy another $20 cd or $20,$30,$40,$50 dvd or vhs of movies or tv show when i can EASILY get them for free and lose none of the quality. It's cool as hell nowdays when you can make your own dvd or music cd.

We live in a great time people stop bitching and enjoy it! :D

AND the only dvd i will buy is for my fav movie of all time, STARWARS all 6 of them.
  11. Skywalker1177 Jedi Knight

Bootleg copies of movies are never any good. The quailty sucks and it's just not worth the time DLing it. However, if it's a bootleg of the DVD version of a movie, then maybe the quailty is worth it. However, for real good movies/ ones I care about (Star Wars etc.) I make sure to buy the real thing.

But as for music... the only CD I've ever bought is the Star Wars sound track. Everything else I just DL and burn myself. Probably saved my countless hundreds. :)
  12. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I thought this subject of AOTC bootlegs died long ago, obviously I was wrong.

How did all of this get started again?
  13. DilatedPeoples Jedi Youngling

EVERYBODY and their mother has the bootleg. JC is a bunch of wusses in general, but this rule takes the cake. Their admins have always been tools, but now its like they are trying to become the greatest tools in history, like the people in that Conan episode that the dog talks to. That was funny stuff. Am I allowed to talk about downloading that on Kazaa?
  14. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    smauldookie, let me repeat what was said in the very first post.

Anyone who requests or provides links to bootlegs, or who argues in favor of bootlegs, or who advocates or facilitates the receiving or distribution of bootlegs, will be banned.

EDIT:
    DilatedPeoples, I don't have the bootleg, and neither does my mother [face_plain]
  15. Imperial_Guard Jedi Master

star 4
    In the long term, if bootlegging is allowed to get past a certain point, there will be nothing left worth bootlegging.

EDIT: Yeah, I'll have to ask my mother but I'm pretty sure that she doesn't have the bootleg just like I don't. [face_plain]
  16. green_cross_code Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "Anyone who requests or provides links to bootlegs, or who argues in favor of bootlegs, or who advocates or facilitates the receiving or distribution of bootlegs, will be banned."

We mean this, too.

Two people have been banned in the last half hour for violating this.
  17. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Did Steven Spielburg or George Lucas make their films for people to download on the internet for free? No, they didn't. They made their films, and in return they expect you to pay for the official material.

If everyone got the bootlegged copies, then the companies would simply go bankrupted. And who would we blame? [face_plain]
  18. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I would like to point out that banning someone for "arguing in favor of bootlegs" is a violation of free speech guaranteed Americans by the First Amendment.

I'm not tring to stir up trouble, but I would like to engage in a brief, intelligent dialogue about this. Please note that I have argued AGAINST bootlegs in a recent post, above.
  19. green_cross_code Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    There is no freedom of speech on here. That's one of the conditions you agree to by posting on this private message board.

You don't like the rules, you don't post here. It's that simple.
  20. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    This board is operated and owned by someone privately, therefore free speech can unfortunately be hushed somewhat on these forums.
  21. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Point taken. Thanks for reminding me of the private ownership of these boards.

But, another query: is it okay to refer in passing to having viewed a bootleg copy? In other words, can I say something like, "I was just watching AOTC on my bad VHS copy, and I noticed THIS about the Tuskens ...."
  22. green_cross_code Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't think there's any need to say where you noticed it. What's the difference if you saw it on a bootleg or at the cinema? That doesn't add to the discussion, surely.
  23. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    G-C-C Cracks the whip.....

Too right as well. TF.N and Jedi Council could be closed down if Bootleg discuassions begin on here. Lucasfilm DO watch these boards, you know.....

And then theres the moral issue. What about the DISGUSTING crimes that go with video piracy? Prostitution, drug-running and drug-pushing, gun-running and gun-trading are just a few of the crimes associated with Piracy.

Everybody knows that this forum has to be policed strongly. I have no problem with that at all. I am constantly aware of what I say. This is a Meassge Board that sees children visit it, for a start. They have to be secure in a place like this, which means the board MUST continue to be strongly regulated. If people don't like it, they should do what Green-Cross says, post someplace else :)

Oh, and why would anybody want a dodgy, second-rate copy of AOTC? ;)
  24. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Good points, G-Fett.

I fell asleep watching this cruddy copy of AOTC I got as a gift. The picture is so dark, fuzzy, and digitized that squinting at it hurt my eyes; the sound cut out every few minutes, leaving me wondering what was just said (no, I don't have the film memorized yet!); the fireplace scene was repeated twice; the side-break from the source disk occurred in the middle of a shot! What's the point?? Bootlegs stink.
  25. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
    Whats TF.n's stance now that AOTC is out of the cinema's (it is here in Northern Ireland) and someone asks about downloading the movie now to tie them over til the DVD comes out- cuz lets face it- everyone will buy the DVD anyway cuz the bootleg is rubbish quality? They cant see it in the cinema and the DVD is not out- i cant see there any harm in getting withdrawal symptoms and downloading the DVD til November 11th (when we get the DVD :) ). Just a thought and question. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.