NO BOOTLEGS. WE MEAN IT!

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by jasman, May 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Yes, TK-421, but why aren't you at your post?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
  2. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It is still and always will be illegial for theforce.net to show links for this type of thing. It would be a criminal act to do so! [face_plain]
  3. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
    Look, i would get to my post but they only went and blew up the damn thing!!! :D

i had that in my signature- looks like i might have to put it back!! :p
  4. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Then it's a darn good thing you WEREN'T at your post.

When it blew up and all.
  5. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    It has been illegal, it is illegal and it will remain illegal for TFN to have anything to do with them.
  6. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
    But i really miss my post! :(
  7. Imperial_Guard Jedi Master

star 4
    This thread should have been locked long ago IMO. "Bootleg" might as well be a swearword so why bother having the thread at all? The original post was merely repeating what most people already know on these forums: Bootlegs are a taboo subject. Posting the policy on the forum header makes sense but this thread has predictably become ensnared by the same kinds of problems as the thread that this one replaced.

I'm anti-bootleg but this thread and others like them are like flypaper for people to get banned for saying something that they shouldn't. Ultimately, it's the responsibility of each member to be aware of the rules but I feel that any thread on bootlegging should be locked right away.

The guidelines are very strict and clear and they also leave no room for any discussion on the topic so, again, what is the point?
  8. green_cross_code Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's left open because new forum members need to know the policy, not just the older ones.

It's here to stop people getting banned, not to get people banned.
  9. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
    i agree- it SHOULD be left open. so as people can ask questions and get answers. no harm in that.
  10. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Imperial_Guard, you weren't a member when this was first posted. Anyone who was here the days following AOTC's release knows how hectic things were here. There were quite a few threads where people asked where they could get a bootleg. This post was made to let people know TFN and the JC's stance on bootlegs.
  11. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Imperial_Guard, you weren't a member when this was first posted. Anyone who was here the days following AOTC's release knows how hectic things were here.

Yes, as in threads getting pushed off a 50-topic page in 10 minutes.

12. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Hey I had the first reply in this thread.
  13. Imperial_Guard Jedi Master

star 4
    I should probably clarify where I was coming from.

I was suggesting that the original post be placed in an obvious place such as the forum header or something else even more obvious, I dunno, maybe a huge neon flashing animation that implants itself subliminally into the mind of a board user. :D

It's just that once a thread gets past a certain point, people can and tend to ignore the original post and, in this case, the thread evolves into a discussion on bootlegging and that just asks for bannings.

Just my .02 cents. That's all.
  14. Skywalker1177 Jedi Knight

I find it amusing, that although bootlegs are taboo and everything, but one of the moderators actually has one. (I'm not going to name any names) But, shouldn't these people be setting an example? They close down our threads, and edit our posts on the subject, but they themselves actually use the damn things. These moderators are being rather hypocritical. What's so damn taboo about the word 'bootleg' anyway? People already know about this stuff, and have already made up their mind a long time ago as to whether or not they would get one. Some people have morals and standards, others don't. What we say on this board isn't going to change that. And LucasFilm isn't going to shut us down either. They know they exist, and they know they can't stop their distrubution.

Well, that's the end of my rant. :)
  15. TK_Four_Two_One Force Ghost

star 5
    i dont think its really to do with any mods owning a bootleg- thats up to them. they are protecting THIS site from harsh repercussions if they were to let blatant threads about where to get bootlegs and how to etc by Lucasfilm. The bottom line is this site doesnt want any trouble with Lucasfilm and for this site to make it clear its illegal in the eyes of the law. if a mod owns a bootleg then that his/her own choice- but like the rest of us they cant say where and how they got it and also have to carry out the rules of the forum! :)
  16. Darth_Insidious Jedi Master

star 4
    I really have to say, the people who are lumping all bootlegs into the "crappy picture and sound" category are ignorant. There's quite a difference in quality between the full screen VHS copies shot with a bad camera that you see on the street, and the releases that are shot with expensive DV camera's, are in the proper aspect ratio and have separtate audio sources. This is especially true for AOTC, which has an excellent copy floating around out there.

That's not to say I'm arguing for or against bootlegs, just trying to educate the uninformed.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Bootlegs= illegal crap
    DVDs= legal good stuff

:D

After all, we don't have to wait 2 years this time...
  18. AAMD11 Jedi Master

star 4
    Precisely 3 moths from today :)
  19. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Oooh... the wait is well worth it.
  20. Jar Jar Jedi Master

star 4
    I haven't seen a bootleg of it yet, but I know some folks that have it and unfortunately it is very easy to obtain. It's hard to say exactly how many people watched this film on their monitors and never even glanced at their local theatre. More importantly though, this stuff is absolutley smashing repeat viewings, no doubt about it. Why go to the theatre to see it again when the movie is available right on your PC for free? It's hard to say it for a fact, but I am willing to say that the film probably would have done over 300 million if broadband wasn't around, and I think LFL knows this.

I get the feeling that there will soon be a time of reckoning for digital movie piracy. I hate to say it, but it is both long overdue and necessary. This medium is nothing but theivery and it must be dealt with. I say:

"Wipe them out.. All of them."

21. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Darth Insidious said:

"There's quite a difference in quality between the full screen VHS copies shot with a bad camera that you see on the street, and the releases that are shot with expensive DV camera's, are in the proper aspect ratio and have separtate audio sources."

And yet, my version--which I received, unasked, as a gift--was shot with an expensive DV camera, is in the proper aspect ratio, and STILL SUCKS. The visual quality is abhorrent, at times succumbing to a wasting disease of hideous cross-pixelization; and for at least half an hour the sound is about a second and a half ahead of the picture. So you see, my friend, there are no guarantees. Better to wait for the official release in November.
  22. Darth_Insidious Jedi Master

star 4
    Well you can't expect a guarantee of quality for anything. But I'm saying that although you may not have a good copy, they do exist.
  23. Duckman Jedi Master

star 4
    So, anyone know where I can get a bootleg?

Muwhahahahahahahaha! :p
  24. homeless_jedi Jedi Youngling

star 4
    if someone has episode 2 on dvd ..please email me. it has the be the one that will be released in november, i know someone out there has it already. i only buy official....so please...no bootlegs.
  25. Tayschrenn Jedi Master

star 4
    Just wait until it is released. It won't be long.

[Obi-Wan]Paitence[/Obi-Wan]

Tayschrenn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.