NO BOOTLEGS. WE MEAN IT!

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by jasman, May 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
  2. smauldookie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  3. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    Thank you for reminding people of this. What is wrong with peoples' morals today? Bootlegging is STEALING somebody's copyrighted material to which they have money rights for all their work on the project.

If you don't like it, too bad.
  4. revolution Jedi Knight

star 1
    Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi wrote:
    >Thank you for reminding people of this. What is wrong with
    >peoples' morals today? Bootlegging is STEALING somebody's
    >copyrighted material to which they have money rights for
    >all their work on the project.
    >
    >If you don't like it, too bad.

Using monetary rights to determine morality? I suggest you stop worrying about other peoples morals and start examining your own standards. Money and morality are often at opposites - you should know that.

Don't try and frighten us with your capitalist ways Lady_Sami. Your sad devotion to that ancient capitalist religion hasn't helped you... Oops sorry Star Wars brain freeze:)
  5. revolution Jedi Knight

star 1
    KnightWriter wrote:
    >Also to clarify, there is no free speech on this board. Everything
    >that is allowed on this privately owned site is up to the owners and
    >the administration.

Sure the board owners can mandate terms of use - but it's not as simple as that. For example, the board owners could mandate that every user begin his or her post with the line "I love Jar Jar". And I know some TPM gushers who would love that:) The owners would be perfectly within their right to kick anyone off who did not comply. But I imagine after a while there wouldn't be too many people left to kick off.

It's a balancing act between the owners and users. The board owners want and need people to visit this sight. So in a practical sense they can't just mandate whatever they want. The board owners are afraid of being sued as an accomplice in bootlegging, or maybe afraid of being blackballed by LucasFilm, but they are also afraid of being deserted by the users - so they are not simply free to do as they please, and it is up to the users to press for whatever free speech they feel is necessary, with of course the possiblilty of being banned.

In regard to bootlegging - it's understandable that the owners of this site would want to ban links posted to bootlegs, and would want to ban users who post these links. They could be sued as being part of a bootlegging scheme. But an outright ban on even the academic discussion of bootlegging pros and cons? Well I think users have to decide where they stand on that kind of discussion and let the chips fall where they may.
  6. Y-Wing Jedi Knight

star 1
    Maybe this should be reposted as a sticky thread.
  7. Count_Vaseline Jedi Knight

star 2
    There are no PROS in bootlegging/pirating. Unless of course you're a thieving waste of skin. Then there is nothing but PROS.
  8. TokyoXtreme Force Ghost

star 4
    For a long time, bootlegging was the only way Americans could get drunk. What's so bad about it?
  9. Joshua Griffin TheForce.Net co-owner

VIP
    star 4
  10. Promiscuous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    I don't like the idea of bootlegs. I would much rather wait until the actual movie is out on DVD and VHS. Especially if it's STARWARS.
  11. AOTCStarwchic Jedi Master

star 4
    Totally agree sir.I think the bootlegs are just a total waste of time and a rip off.Also,its really not the actual DVD/VHS.Its just a copy-cat of the actual DVD/VHS no more no less.
  12. Savle_Sostas Jedi Knight

star 2
    Why does anyone give a damn whether or not people buy bootlegs?
  13. revolution Jedi Knight

star 1
    Y-Wing wrote:
    >Maybe this should be reposted as a sticky thread.

Just curious what does "sticky thread" mean?
  14. Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin

star 6
    A "sticky thread" is a thread remains at the top of your list of threads, regardless of what page you are on in a specific Forum. The bootleg info is a sticky thread. Try going to Page 2 of the AOTC Forum. What do you see on top? ;)
  15. revolution Jedi Knight

star 1
    Grilled-Sarlacc wrote:
    >A "sticky thread" is a thread remains at the top of your
    >list of threads, regardless of what page you are on in a
    >specific Forum. The bootleg info is a sticky thread. Try
    >going to Page 2 of the AOTC Forum. What do you see on top?

I see the bootleg thread - magic. So the bootleg thread is on top of every page, so users can quickly get info on where to obtain bootlegs;) Just kidding. Thanks for the info.
  16. revolution Jedi Knight

star 1
    Text deleted - forum burped a double post.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.