Speculation No Boxset for the saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 1, 2012.

1. WhiskeyGold Force Ghost

star 4
    I read that Fox is keeping the distribution rights for ANH and the others stay with Fox until 2020. Does that mean after the new sequels we CAN not get a huge saga box set. Does this ANH will always have to be left off of stuff (if a TV channel wants to show them all, or if disney wants to do a re-release)
  2. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    You realize that by the time they're through with film 9 it'll be 2021 (assuming they stay on schedule), right? The distribution rights deal won't affect any box sets of the sort you're describing.
    Last edited by Ramza, Nov 1, 2012
  3. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    In 2020 the rights to V, VI, I, II, and III will revert to Disney, but Fox owns the rights to IV in perpituity. My guess is that since they got screwed on this deal they will hold the box set for ransom and Disney will have to pay them a huge sum, but they will eventually come to terms to make it happen.
    Padme501st and TreborSabreon like this.
  4. WhinyLuke Jedi Knight

star 1
    ANH stays with FOX, the others (NOT ANH) ends in 2020
  5. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    Ah, misread that. Then yes, I expect money or property rights finagling will be involved.
  6. WhiskeyGold Force Ghost

star 4
    That sucks ass. Fox needs to milk it while they can and get them on iTunes and Netflix
  7. tom Chosen One

star 6
    it's just boring business stuff.
    Master_Jacen likes this.
  8. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    Ill only buy Star Wars movies with the Fox fanfair, anything else is not as important. I still need to get the BluRay set
  9. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm sure deals can and will be made. In fact look for unaltered Blu Rays to come in the future I'd suspect.
    Darth Myon and TreborSabreon like this.
  10. GeneralCeel Jedi Master

star 2
    Fox doesn't own the films to make that decision. They own the distribution rights only.
    EviL_eLF likes this.
  11. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    Why does Fox own ANH till after 2020 but not the others?
  12. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, but wouldn't they have to edit out the fanfare?
  13. Samurai-Jack Jedi Master

star 2
    From THR:
    Tangled Rights Could Tie Up Ultimate 'Star Wars' Box Set (Analysis)
  14. lord_eidolon Force Ghost

star 2
    Fox and Disney will simply agree a business deal. It's going to make a lot of money for both companies, so it's not like anyone will be against the idea.
  15. Jason79 Jedi Master

star 1
    I'm not buying anymore Star wars box sets that claim to be the complete saga.
    At this point the saga will never be complete. Sure glad I picked up that Blu-ray set that only came out barely a year ago.:rolleyes:
  16. lightsaver Jedi Master

star 2
    I'm alright with collecting the Sequel Trilogy boxset by itself and any solo (no pun intended) movies that come out afterward I'll buy individually, lest a Boba Fett trilogy be made. I'm not buying any Clone Wars seasons either, I'm waiting for the series to end for that big 6-7 season collection.

As I said, the ST I can buy by themselves and be alright... until the ST 3D limited release special editions.
  17. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    That would imply some common sense - not really Fox's forte.
  18. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    They've never released ANH in those formats and seemed to have no say in when Lucas released it on DVD or BluRay so I'm wondering if the contract actually means their distribution rights solely mean the financial gain and no real control - like Paramount and Avengers.

So if Fox has no real control it may just mean they get a cut from Disney - or Disney can sit on a release of ANH until the rights expire.
  19. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    3D TV is dead, my friend.
  20. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    They didn't have much faith in Star Wars and didn't foresee the sequels actually happening or the effect ANH would have.

So the deal Lucas made for distribution gave him full rights to sequels and merchandise, but even then Fox loved to try screw people over and took on going rights just because they could.

As it turns out, the screw over turned out differently than they expected.
  21. Jango_Fett21 Force Ghost

star 3
    Fox's ownership of the distribution rights to ANH never expire, though.
  22. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I realised that afterward - got confused with their Marvel rights and overlooked the "in perpetuity" bit.
    Last edited by ThatWanFromStewjon, Nov 10, 2012
  23. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    Disney should just put out their own boxset & do their own style of special features. They can put all the Walt Disney Star wars movies together they don't need to bother withe Fox movies that feature Palpatine, they don't really. Need those.
  24. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    Disney should just put out their own boxset & do their own style of special features. They can put all the Walt Disney Star wars movies together they don't need to bother withe Fox movies that feature Palpatine, they don't really. Need those.
  25. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    And that Fox set was 80 bucks & the movies looked great, One would have to be a total fool or idiot to buy those movies all over again.