main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation No Boxset for the saga?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Who knows, at the rate things are going, by time the Episode IX is released, Disney may have already bought Fox ;). Seriously though, I'm sure they two companies will work out some kind of a deal, to release a 9 movie box set!

TreborSabreon and That Bad Huh like this.
  2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    If the $ are right, they will work out a deal.

3. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    By the time 2015 comes around and the movie comes out I am going to venture out and say that DVD and Blu-Ray will be a thing of the past. With all the video pirates, I will almost bet that future releases will be Video On Demand/VOD.

4. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Holographic OLED projection disc, or something.

5. Moog

Moog Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    Why do people want one huge boxed set? It's just a box after all. It's not like you can stick one disc in and let all the films run continuously.

And haven't we all got the original six anyway? Do we really want to encourage more accusations of Lucasfilm milking the fans??

6. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Fox doesn't own any of the films, they only own distribution rights, which means they get paid if it's re-released and they distribute the disc... but that disc can still be combined into a box set with the Disney distributed discs.

It's not fox who chooses to release a disc, it's Lucas Film as they are the owner of all of the actual films.

7. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Wrong, FOX owns ANH.

8. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    No... Lucas Film OWNS ANH, Fox only owns the distribution rights.

According to THR, the matter is somewhat complicated because Fox still holds the worldwide distribution rights for all of the existing Star Wars movies up until May 2020. After that date, they will revert to Disney… with the exception of Star Wars: A New Hope, which Fox owns in perpetuity.

The difference between ESB RotJ and ANH is that in 2020 Fox loses distribution rights. Fox contract for distribution on ANH does not end... Disney will likely have to buy them out someday, or just make a deal with them for the distribution to happen.

9. Mange

Jan 11, 2003
    Uh, no, that's of no consequence. FOX owns the rights to ANH. As your quote shows: "...with the exception of Star Wars: A New Hope, which Fox owns in perpetuity." Heck, I remember when the talk of the Special Editions emerged that Lucas had to have FOX's permission to create the ANH:SE as that movie wasn't owned by Lucasfilm.

10. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Umm... perpetuity means continuing... unending.

ESB and RotJ Distribution rights end. ANH's is perpetual.

11. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I remember reading that Lucas was able to purchase episode 4 rights in exchange for the distribution rights to the PT. Before this deal, Fox actually owned the film. I am not sure if this impacts the distribution
    side of things; I was never clear on how the whole distribution rights process works for a film. For example, does owing the film rights mean something different than owning the distribution rights?

12. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Thank You, After the beautiful Blu Rays we got from Fox, no way am I buying those movies ever again. Only a nerd or idiot would do that.

13. Mange

Jan 11, 2003
    Uh, yes? FOX owns the distribution rights for ANH in perpetuity, that we agree on. However, 20th Century FOX wholly owns ANH as per the original deal struck with Lucasfilm (Lucasfilm owned the sequel rights) and FOX owned ANH as late as '95 and I don't believe that has changed. CinemaBlend has a good article on this: CinemaBlend

14. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Right, but Master Hamahiga suggests that this may have since changed. Personally, I've no idea if this is true or not, but I would very much like to know.

15. Mange

Jan 11, 2003
    Yes, it seems to have changed in order for FOX to secure the distribution rights for the PT. However, it appears as if FOX at least partly owns the movie and that five of the movies are Lucasfilm assets: DisplayCentral.

In any case, if Disney at some point in the future wants to release a box set (or whatever form it may be in the future), they'll have to secure the rights for ANH from FOX.

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm not too bothered by this. when put in the perspective of likely release dates of these new movies, 2020 is not all THAT far away...at that point, I'm sure Disney will have either bought the rights (it having been 43 years by that point since ANH was released) or found a way to have a 9 episode boxset.

Besides, wasn't this an issue before with the Alien movies? And then they found a way to release the Quadrilogy. I think that's the same situation isn't it?

17. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Thanks for the link, Mange. I'm not sure if the ability to potentially hold up (or even prevent) a release by Disney comes with Fox's patrial ownership or not. Certainly it means that Fox is getting paid one way or the other.

It's interesting, to be sure, but I don't know that we've answered the OP question. Will Disney be able to release their version of an ultimate box set in 2021 free of any restraints / considerations by Fox (other than financial), or will a new deal need to be reached first? What if LucasFilm is told from on high that Disney has decided they want to see an unaltered blu ray release for Episodes IV, V and VI? What is the recourse Fox would have in this case, if any?

I mean, I'm just throwing these questions around (the same questions which have already been asked, at that) because I guess I'm still not clear on where things stand.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Disney must be miffed, they own Marvel but can't make movies featuring its most belove hero (Spider-Man) and they own Lucasfilm but don't have the rights to the first and most iconic Star Wars movie.

Doesn't bother me a great deal though, I will buy the ST boxset and put it alongside my OT & PT boxsets. I have not and will not buy the complete Blu Ray Saga boxset, so 3 seperate linking trilogies it is.

19. Darth Myon

Darth Myon Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2012
    Why would you Buy the Blu-ray set in the first place when perfectly good and UNALTERED special editions exist?

20. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 1999
    I don't want to count how many versions of the original trilogy I own. From my box of Pan&Scan VHS tapes to the THX Letterbox Remaster on VHS then DVDs and yes when I bought my first blu-ray player the only blu-rays I owned were the "Complete Saga" box set. I think the only media I don't have Star Wars on is Laserdisc, Betamax and those Super8 reels they sold back in the 1970s. Who knows what media standard we will have in 2020? Some have speculated that Blu-Ray is going to be the last physical media and future media will be cloud-based.

But I am sure there WILL be a 9 movie box set and I will buy it for the exclusive special features.