main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada No Clone Wars Cartoon for us...

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by fingthething, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fingthething

fingthething Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    It was just anounced on the TFN main page, Canada will not get the Clone Wars cartoon :(

They are even going as far as to block Canadian ISP's and servers from the free video stream at Cartoonnetwork.com!!!

Read all about it. :mad:

2. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
  3. NateTheGreat

NateTheGreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2003
  4. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    It is unbelievable that Canada will not be
    broadcasting it anywhere in Canada. I am glad that I have a dish that picks up US stations including the cartoon network...

5. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    Heh, screwed again. Why am I not surprised!?!?! Canada gets the shaft on everything. Luckily there IS the internet.

6. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    guys it will be online the day after on starwars.com, so it matters not.

7. SamwiseGamgee

SamwiseGamgee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Yes but what about those of us who do not have the luxary of video and sound on our computers!

8. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    Honestly...why?
    It's completely ridiculous.
    WT* is George playing at?

9. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Maybe Georgey just doesn't like Canadians?

10. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Looks that way doesn't it?

11. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    I am watching it tonight at 8 :D

And Hyperspace will have it at 8:20 for download. Non subscribers get a lo-res, streaming version.

But alas, we are in Canada. I will circulate tapes once the series is done.

12. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    Blame the CRTC! :mad:

13. Defiance

Defiance Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 16, 1999
    Yeah, it's the CRTC's problem. They want to protect Canadian channels so they won't let American channels with similar content be broadcast here. The blocking of the Internet access is also related.

14. Sahiri

Sahiri Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2002
    Awh, thats sad.

I guess I'll just have to wait until I can find a computer with decent speeded internet to watch it.

15. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Was it the CRTC really? Proof please.

Lets face it, its a 5 minute show. Consider that most 30 minute TV shows (animated or otherwise) are approximately 22 minutes actual content and 8 minutes of commercials.

For a network to show the Clone Wars cartoon they have to balance out losing more than half their commercial revenue during that half hour. Plus messing their schedule to explain why a show starts 5 minutes late.

Now if the CRTC was any factor at all... its because they do have strict guiidelines on how much non-program content is allowed per 30 minutes, and perhaps the network that wanted to show it, despite the issues listed above, could not find a way to show it without breaking a broadcast regulation on content versus commercials.

The fact that the US network plans to block known Canadian interent feeds makes me think there is something else afoot though. Perhaps the negotiations for the rights went bad and the US network is playing nasty to us fans?

I wonder if the DVD will even be released here. R2: Beneath the Dome was never released in Canada if you weren't aware.

16. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    Good news. Apparently Teletoon has picked up the rights to broadcast the Clone Wars in 2004. No word yet on broadcast times...

17. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Good news. Apparently Teletoon has picked up the rights to broadcast the Clone Wars in 2004. No word yet on broadcast times...

Better than nothing, if you ask me.

18. Sharp-Shooter

Sharp-Shooter Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2003

oh thats good that teletoon will show the cartoon several months after we've already seen the episode on the internet

geez this is worse then showcase and six feet under or bravo and sex and the city

also for my fellow canadians who want to see the cartoonnetwork.com stream, just use an american based Proxy and you should see it fine (or just wait a day longer untill starwars.com has it up)

19. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I've been able to secure a copy of the cartoon, and i will have access to an online copy of it for the duration.

To download it you need to use a client called Bittorrent (if you don't knwo what that is). Bittorent is basically a peer to peer server but unlike Kazza it forces you to share the file while you are downloading it. This results in a much faster download!

to download the client go HERE. This is the version i use however you can also use the official client which can be found HERE.

Now that you have the client installed go to this page. http://members.lycos.nl/gettorrents/v.php?id=16 and at the top click on tv-shows and then it should be listed under the cartoons metalink, or you can just scroll down!

I hope this helps and feel free to use this page for much more! you can find old tvshows, and a hell of alot of other junk to download rather quickly!

20. Darth_Haggis

Mar 21, 2002
    The file provided by Hyperspace is bigger and better... (as well as reliable)

21. Sharp-Shooter

Sharp-Shooter Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2003
    i was able to get the episode off of Edonkey last night

22. Defiance

Defiance Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 16, 1999
    Was it the CRTC really? Proof please.

It was on the news on Friday.

Regulator vetoes ESPN, HBO on cable

That's a long URL, so I don't know if it'll work, but it's from TheStar.Com, November 8, 2003. (EDIT: The link doesn't work; but if you want to verify it, go to Google and search for crtc hbo and click on the news link provided by Google entitled "Regulator vetoes ESPN, HBO on cable")

t's about HBO and ESPN, but Cartoon Network is actually included. It all amounts to CRTC not allowing channels like the Cartoon Network into Canada because we already have channels like Teletoon competing with it. So the only choice for broadcasting Clone Wars is for Teletoon or some other Canadian channel to pick it up. If CN were allowed in Canada, then it wouldn't be a problem.

There are several possible reasons to block Canadian ISPs: 1) refuse to let Canadians watch it because the CRTC blocks CN or 2) protect the future broadcast potential of the CW cartoon (and if Teletoon has acquired the rights, perhaps part of the deal is to prevent us from seeing it until Teletoon broadcasts it).

Regulator vetoes ESPN, HBO on cable

ROB FERGUSON
    BUSINESS REPORTER

You want HBO? The answer is no.

Canada's broadcast regulator yesterday rejected a bid by the country's cable television industry to carry the U.S. movie channel ? creator of such critically acclaimed shows as Six Feet Under ? plus ESPN, The NFL Channel and a number of American specialty channels.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission noted a number of Canadian broadcasters already carry some programs from the U.S. channels, such as The Sopranos on CTV and Sex in the City on Bravo.

The CRTC said that allowing the full U.S. channels on to cable systems would hurt Canadian broadcasters, which had lobbied against the proposal made in June by the Canadian Cable Television Association.

"The Commission's general policy with respect to such requests precludes the distribution of non-Canadian services that it determines to be either totally or partially competitive with existing Canadian specialty or pay services."

The CRTC did not put the cable industry's application out for public comment.

"This proposal was so far out in left field ... they weren't even prepared to consider having a discussion," a pleased Glenn O'Farrell, chief executive of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, said from the group's convention in Quebec City.

There also was concern that letting more U.S. channels on to Canadian cable systems would make it "more difficult" for Canadian broadcasters to purchase rights to air programs originally broadcast on the U.S. channels, the CRTC said.

The cable industry said it was disappointed in the decision, but remains "encouraged the door is open" to apply again at some point.

"We recognize our application challenged the status quo,'' said Michael Hennessy, acting president of the Canadian Cable Television Association, which represents 90 cable companies across the country serving 6 million homes.

"We believe that supplying consumers what they want, when they want it, is critical to the future success of the Canadian broadcasting system."

23. ivylore

ivylore Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2000
    Thanks for the info, Wolf. :)

24. Jedi_master_Bernard

Jedi_master_Bernard Jedi Master star 1

Dec 5, 2002
    this is bullox. they cant possibley block every canadian ip.

i am going to find another way and report back

25. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    If you have Hyperspace you can still download it in Canada.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.