main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[no] compression question

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by RIPLEY426, Nov 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    I have a question concerning the use of no compression.

Say I have that 5 seconds DV clip [Pinnacle states it was a full quality copy]. Now I change some minor things like brightness for compositing reasons and render the clip (exact same length) out with no compression. Why the hell is the rendered file 5 times bigger than the original clip if there's no compression involved? Shouldn't it be about the same file size? Why do I get a 300 MB clip off of a 44 MB one?

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    A DV AVI (or MOV?) file is not uncompressed, that's why. You need to compress it to DV AVI again, not to uncompressed AVI.

3. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    NO.

If you re-compress it using DV compression, you'll only lower the quality. It might not be much, but after it goes through several more re-renders, it'll look like utter crap on a stick. Yes, the video was compressed to begin with, but in order to maintain quality, you'll have to do the rest of your renders uncompressed. Or at the very least, using a visually-lossless compression format, which amounts to the same thing.

4. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    That didn't answer my question but let another one arose:

Am I REALLY importing an uncompressed DV AVI to the computer?

5. Mister-X

Mister-X Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2001
    TigerCraneFist did answer your question.

There's no such thing as an uncompressed DV AVI (or rather, there is such a thing, because "DV" is simply an abbreviation for "digital video", and uncompressed AVIs contain digital video information, but in the way that you mean it - a movie imported from a miniDV camcoder - there isn't).

The camcorder itself compresses the video. To display the video on your computer monitor, your computer uses a DV codec (COmpressor/DECompressor) to decompress the video stored in the AVI. If you subsequently render that video to an uncompressed format, it will naturally give you a larger file size.

As TigerCraneFist says, if you want to maintain the same file size, you must render it using the DV codec.

But, as Jedi2016 says, multiple decompression and recompression o[perations will degrade the quality.

6. -Spiff-

-Spiff- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    uncompressed DV AVI

"uncompressed" and "DV AVI" are mutually exclusive. That means all DV AVI files are compressed with the DV codec.

-Spiff

7. Evil-Henchman

Evil-Henchman Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2004
    Yes yes. Basically when you choose "uncompressed" for AVI files, your converting the DV AVI to another codec altogether. I like to call it the "uncompressed codec".

Nothing is as lossless or as large in file size as the uncompressed codec. It's great for small clips that you're still working on but should not be used for the final prodcut. For example, the Highlander music video I made (which for some reason no one on this board seems to want to watch and/or comment on ;) ) is in 34 uncompressed parts. All the parts are on a timeline in AE 6.5 Pro. I can then export that to the Micro$oft DV codec and then use that one to convert to my DivX or Sorenson versions (damn AE and it's sucky compression output when using DivX or Sorenson).

8. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    How can something be more or less lossless than something else?

9. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    RIPLEY:
    1) The data on your DV tape has been compressed in the camera to "DV" codec
    Capturing this at "highest" quality or whatever your capture program calls this is "lossless" (no data is changed or "lost") but it is still "compressed", therefore smaller than a truely uncompressed video file.

2) When you render to "non-compressed" you will loose no quality whatsever, since the raw calculated values of each pixel will be written to the new file without changes. Since the DV file was compressed to start with though, your uncompressed file will be larger.

Evil-Henchman :Nothing is as lossless or as large in file size as the uncompressed codec.
    Not entirely true.
    There are "lossless" codecs that compress data without loosing "information".
    You could, for example, store a row of 100 black pixels as "100:black" instead of "black" 100 times and there is no information lost. (this is an ultra simplified example)

FUNK: How can something be more or less lossless than something else?
    Basically, most compression codecs get some of their space savings by discarding some information. They try to be "smart" about the information discarded, so that it is barely noticable by a person watching the video under normal conditions.
    As mentioned above, there are a few "lossless" codecs that do not discard any information, but these do not compress files as small as "lossy" codecs.

It's generally best to work with either original captures or uncompressed renders until the project is finished, then render compressed versions for final delivery.

Have fun.

10. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Oh, I know how compression works, at least peripherally (..spelling, I know..), but 'lossless' suggests a binary state--it's either lossless or it isn't.

11. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    Okay...

I think I understand now. I still don't understand why something AS lossless as the original DV file naturally gets LARGER. That just can't get in my brain, sorry. But I will accept it. :)

12. TrowaGP02a

TrowaGP02a Jedi Master star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    This thread is a well of information for those new comers. It answers a lot of questions regarding CODECS and compression. Bookmarking this so I can send everyone to it.

13. FX_guy

FX_guy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2002
    Took me a while to grasp that as well. :)

I think of it this way:

A DV tape is like a .zip file. DV cameras compress the video and audio data onto the tape, making the data smaller. And DV players uncompress that data in order to play the video back, "unzipping" it in realtime onto the video screen. If you're just watching a tape you're not aware that it's happening at all.

Now... when you scan that tape into your computer and open it as a file in AE, AE also uncompresses/unzips it, and then leaves it that way until you tell it how you want it rendered out again.

So - the DV data was compressed originally, but AE has "unzipped" the data into the size it would have been if the camera hadn't compressed it.

And so, if you re-render the file "uncompressed" it ends up larger than before.

(yes, I'm simplifying. :))

14. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    That really cleared it up for me! Thanks.

So why does the tape compress at all? :)

15. MasterYoda510

MasterYoda510 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2005
    It's an issue of how much data can be stored on the tape.

It's also an issue of how quickly data can be written to a tape. Uncompressed video is way too big to store much on a DV tape. Also, even with the necessary space (meaning a tape the size of Arkansas), to write all the data needed for uncompressed video, the tape would need to be moving VERY fast and DV tapes can't do that.

16. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    How does Gerorge Lucas do it?

17. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    DivX

18. Mister-X

Mister-X Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2001
    Actually, for the last SW movie, they used a combination of Sony SW-1 and SW-5000 tape decks, and hard disk recorders. Muy costoso.

19. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    Prohibitively expensive cameras and recording decks, that are insanely way out of our reach. I can't even to beging to imagine the HD space used on the film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.