"No compulsion in religion": The tragedy of Abdul Rahman

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Nightowl, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lorn_zahl Force Ghost

star 4
    Guess what Fire?

Human rights matter outside the United States too.

I don't care what culture or religion they're from. There is nothing that makes anyone better than the next.

I honestly, truly, deeply couldn't care less about Afganistan's Sharia.

It's not really about Christians either, do you care about Women's rights? Or do you only support women's rights within our borders?

Wouldn't want to offend anyone right?

2. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    I offend everyone. Like I offended you last night. :) And it's not about offending anyone it's respecting cultural perspectives of another nation. While I don't agree with them I also don't force my beliefs on anyone else. He knew what the laws were and broke them any way. This would be much like a drug offense in the US. While we don't give the death penalty for drug offenders, we do put them in prison for a long time. Those people knew the laws (despite them being antiquated) but it's still the law in the US. If we were to force our perspective on Afghanistan's government then I say other governments should force their perspectives on us. Fair is fair, after all.

EDIT: Also, quit baiting. It's a quick way to ban-land. Just trying to help. :)
  3. lorn_zahl Force Ghost

star 4

Well I wasn't baiting, simply asking if you cared.

The drug war IMO is a bunch of #$%@, especially in regards to marijuana.

Does it make it right to throw people in jail for it? IMO No.

Is it right to prosecute someone that needs drugs to survive? No.

Is it right to persecute someone because of their religion? Hell no.

Oh and the world isn't really fair, thats why we are struck with this problem in the first place. Again no culture is immune from critiscm, the world is a small place and if people get fussy about it let them cry.

The United States is the most powerful nation in the world. We are occupying Afganistan and as an occupier we have the power.

Yes thats right, we have the power so we have more say.

Sure it may not be 'fair' to you but that's just how it works. Would you like China calling the shots instead?

Yeah well maybe this time when you lose you won't resort to pithy insults.

It's funny that you say you offend everyone though you respect they're cultural perspectives. So I guess you only offend members of your own culture?

Do you hold others above your own?
  4. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    Wouldn't want to offend anyone right?

Yeah well maybe this time when you lose you won't resort to pithy insults.

It's funny that you say you offend everyone though you respect they're cultural perspectives. So I guess you only offend members of your own culture?

That?s two times you?ve baited me.

I will not debate you until you can show that you can act civilly. So show some maturity and then we can discuss whatever you want. :)

EDIT: I'll be happy to discuss proper forum behavior with you in a PM if you like. :)
  5. lorn_zahl Force Ghost

star 4

Hey thats not a bait man. You admit to offending me and smile, what am I supposed to say?

My question is clear if you can answer it.

If you're into 'offending everyone' then why do you shy away from doing the same thing with other cultures?

Are they some how special? Since they were brought up differently means we need to respect their right to ignorant practices?

I disagree, we're all humans. If I see a human acting out of line, I'm going to call him on it.

I honestly couldn't care less where they come from. Why do you?

Oh and feel free to PM me as long as you answer my question.
  6. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    Hey thats not a bait man. You admit to offending me and smile, what am I supposed to say?

Ahh...but you see, my offending you had to deal with my arguments, not anything specifically I said. I tried to clear it up with you. And you left me with a nasty PM reply. Thank you, but no thanks. :)

My question is clear if you can answer it.

If you're into 'offending everyone' then why do you shy away from doing the same thing with other cultures?

Because it's not my place to do the offending of another culture. Just the people in my own. I would have thought that'd be obvious. I guess not. :)

Are they some how special? Since they were brought up differently means we need to respect their right to ignorant practices?

Of course. It's every individual's right to be stupid, ignorant of facts, or just plain ridiculous. I have no qualms with that. And if a whole society wishes it for themselves then that's fine. Just because it's a law that we happen to disagree on, culturally, does not mean that it's no less lawful for them to enforce it. You know that whole self-determination thing? Yeah, big practitioner of that.

I disagree, we're all humans. If I see a human acting out of line, I'm going to call him on it.

Out of line...that's interesting. I consider forcing your culture on another's to be out of line. Even if it's repulsive to our sensibilities.

I honestly couldn't care less where they come from. Why do you?

Well obviously I don't see things in black and white. :) Isn't that obvious?

As I said I don't agree with their right to kill someone for converting to another religion. However, as I am not apart of their society, culture, or any other association with them I don't feel it's my right to force my perspective on anyone. Or the right of any other culture to do so.
  7. Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer

VIP
    star 4
    Well, now that Abdul Rahman is safely in Italy (thank God Almighty), perhaps it's time to close this thread -- unless we want to continue discussing religious persecution of ex-Muslims in Islamic states. Your call, admins...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.