main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG No discernable difference between film and digital versions?

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by wmgan, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wmgan

wmgan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2004
    I just watched ROTS in digital format at Cathay last night, and I didn't spot any noticeable differences from the film version that we saw at GV Grand. There were a few shots that I wasn't sure I saw in the film version, but it's more likely I just didn't remember it correctly. The picture quality was obviously perfect but I didn't really see a vast improvement over the film version. Surprisingly, the sound was somewhat soft (though clear), but that may have been because I was seated near the back right corner of the theatre.

Definitely no extra scenes, unfortunately. =(

Anyone else who's seen both the film and digital versions, did you spot any differences?

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    No Qui-Gon Jinn appearing to OB1 as a ghost or Yoda on Dagobah? :(

These 2 are the scenes that said to be only available on Digital.

3. wmgan

Sep 27, 2004
    Sadly, no...

4. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    That's disappointing..I was hoping to see all that on the digital version when I get down to watching it.

:(

5. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Now if only Lucas go the PJ way with LOTR and release an Extended Edition of ROTS for fans. :(

Heck! He'll be making more money if he does that. Just think how many LOTR Fans actually own both the Theater Release & EE; heck some like me even got the VCDs! (Haahaa, only for the FOTR & TTT actually since the Malaysian VCDs are special compared to the Singapore ones). I even have friends who own as many versions of the LOTR DVDs & VCDs as they can find! :eek:

I hate to hear another segment of "Why these scenes are not put back into the movie" in ROTS, like with AOTC. Heck! When we gotten the DVD, that means we got endless hours to watch it so what's wrong giving us a longer but more full version of the movies?

6. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Haha because George Lucas is a stubborn guy..he does what he feels is right for him. Deep down he's still an independent film maker and so he likes to do things his way without other people (or fans) telling him what he should do.

7. Rayten

Rayten Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2004
    Lucas does not believe in there being different versions of a movie. The latest cut or edition of a SW movie is the definite version for the time being, it immediately renders previous versions obselete.

8. wmgan

Sep 27, 2004
    An extended edition set would definitely be welcome, but I don't think there would be enough (if any) extra footage for episodes 4-6, and it would be weird to have extended versions of just half the set.

9. xeno_kenobi

xeno_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 4, 2002
    For Episode 4 it will probably be when Bigg's left Tatooine and when Luke saw the Tantive IV being captured. For 5 and 6 I am not sure.

10. wmgan

Sep 27, 2004
    Those scenes were scripted but never filmed, right?

11. xeno_kenobi

xeno_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 4, 2002
    Fortunately, they were filmed. I saw some footage of it. But unfortunately it never made it on any VCDS. Only the old LD's and the VCR's.

12. wmgan

Sep 27, 2004
    Seriously?! I didn't know that...

But I kind of like Lucas' idea of "the droids taking you to Luke, who takes you to Ben, who takes you to Han, who takes you to Leia" (or something like that; I'm paraphrasing but I remember reading a quote from George Lucas to that effect).

13. JediBoo

JediBoo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    Watched Digital too, but no sign of the rumoured Yoda on Dagobah or Qui-Gon's apperance.

HOWEVER, I think not having Qui-Gon's apperance was a very good decision. According to the script, it was just a voice over, you probably wont see his ghost figure. (Maybe Liam didnt even get his lines recorded. But that's besides the point)

The lines he was supposed to say, probably wont make much difference later when Yoda is basically repeating what Qui-Gon would have said earlier. Qui-Gon mentions the ability to do it, but doesn't really show it. So its pretty much pointless.

That and it would have destroyed the pacing of the movie, when Obi-Wan is rushing Padme for emergency medical aid.

So I think its a good choice to remove Qui-Gon altogether.

About Yoda on Dagobah. By then, it would have taken the emotion away from seeing Leia and Luke being taken care of by their foster parents. While on the other hand, Obi-Wan could have dropped Yoda on Dagobah, with Luke next to him (gives that "something familiar about this place" some reference), and then dropping him off at Tatooine.

But I can live with that. For first timers watching the saga from I to VI, it would keep the audience in suspense when Episode III ends, "where the heck did he go?" :p

14. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Personally, I think there is no more need to extend the OT. There is only 1-2 scenes that was familiar to regular fans that was cut from each of the movie and they are kinda minor. Frankly, the OT has been extended and I'll prefer them to put poor Sebastian Shaw back as the Ghost of Anakin at the end of ROTJ; for God's sake, Anakin got to grow old too rite? Jabba and Palpatine Face-Lifts are great but Anakin? :eek:

As for the Prequels, I'm only interested in the deleted scenes in AOTC and ROTS. BUT, in a way, AOTC can't get an extended treatment too much as the movie is already pretty....bad. :( As for ROTS, maybe some of the scenes from the Jedi Killings should be put in back into the movie later. Hmmm....I still feel a scene is missing from the Duel of Anakin & OB1 and want to see the scene related to the formation of the Rebellion in the movie.

15. darshaassant

darshaassant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    Where is ROTS in digital screened?

16. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    i think everything went perfectly, all this complaining is nauseating. everything was perfect to me.

17. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    There are a several digitial screens in Singapore, those that I know of are:

Eng Wah Suntec
    Cathay Cineleisure
    GV Marina

However so far all the times I've watched have been on normal 35mm film, so I can't comment on how good the digital version is.

:)

18. Delight

Delight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    (GV Marina) Digital print is very much clearer than the film print (great for spying various action bits from the opening battle scene and on stiching details on the costumes). Sound is much better too. Almost makes one want to buy a 30 inch plasma to watch the DVD (in Nov)...

19. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    Hmm if that's the case then I may catch the movie once at GV Marina. Maybe Cineleisure too as I heard their digital screen is not bad.

:)

20. master_siandiao

master_siandiao Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    well, for me I have watched both times digital in GV Marina and Eng Wah West Mall... so can't really compare with flim version... but perhaps my 3rd time may be in a flim cinema

21. JaZzYjaZZ

Mar 12, 2002
    I just watched it at GV Marina. Picture is excellent and I really like the sound. Much better than when we watched at GWC.

22. wmgan

Sep 27, 2004
    I've only watched the digital version in Cineleisure (twice) so I don't know how it compares to Eng Wah and GV Marina (though it's obviously superior to the film version).

23. lukedecop

lukedecop Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    Digital Version rocks big time man. I saw it at Cineplex yesterday, very clear, very sharp. The level of details during the space battle scenes were fantastic. Not to mention all the special effects, mind blowing!

24. wmgan

Sep 27, 2004
    So you were watching Star Wars too when we met yesterday, huh? =)

25. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    I watched (no Im not new, just a new name :D) at GV Marina and Eng Wah Suntec. Both were digital but sound was not as good as I had hoped. How is the sound at Orchard?

Pls recommend the best one I should take my cousin coming from Sri Lanka.

Another thing was that the screens showed the pics shortened (sideways-widescreen yes obviously but size of objects were not the correct length) which was irritating. At Eng Wah I sent in the middle dead center and still the same prob. :(

So help me. You guys are my only hope. Really.

Thanks for any help. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.