main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania No Disintegrations? (Contains Spoilers and Speculation)

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Xavier-Kandryth, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xavier-Kandryth

Xavier-Kandryth Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2001
    I sincerely hope that no one else has posted this idea anywhere else on the forums...

A few weeks ago I had a thought reguarding the potential behind us actually seeing the event, somewhere in Episode III, that causes Vader to make the famous "No disinegrations" comment to the Boba Fett we all know and love in Ep 5. But not as we all might expect...

The following points we know either from general SW knowledge or from spoilers:

-Mace Windu will be dying in Episode III

-Jango Fett is killed by Mace Windu in Episode II

-Boba Fett, gives Mace Windu a vengeful stare before rocketing out of the arena battle in Episode II (according to spoiler reports at last, let us hope it made the final cut)

-Some Jedi tend to disappear either as they die

Now I know that some of you, at this point, can probably see what I'm hinting at but for those of you who don't I put it to you now.

Could it be that, assuming Boba Fett is the one to kill Mace Windu in Ep III, that his "disintegration" of the Jedi (again assuming that this will indeed be the story behind the disintegration comment) was actually just another Jedi disappearing act which Boba Fett has managed to somehow accidentally get a reputation out of?

Pure speculation I realise, but let me know what you think of it, or if anyone else has posted this before- in which case, I am truly sorry...

2. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

1. "Disintegrations" is only ever used in SW in reference to droids, not people.

2. *points Xavier towards the TFN Movie Forums, where a thread of this type would be more comfortable*

3. Ghost_of_Caesar

Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Post proof or retract, Oz. Boba Fett is a bounty hunter, Vader wanted Princess Leia, Solo and Chewie alive and (relatively) unharmed. Disintegration is a fairly effective method of assuring the death of a target, and not restricted to droids. C-3PO states a fear of being disintegrated at one point, but the same could have happened to any of the human characters - heck, how many Rebel pilots get disintegrated during the attack on the first Death Star?

4. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000
    PPOR?

Good grief. This is the regional forums, not the Movie forums. I'm not going to get into an argument. I've had enough of those.

But just to humour you...

Apart from that line in ESB, "disintegration" is only ever used in Jabba's workshop -

NINEDENINE: Splendid! We have been without an interpreter since our master got angry with our last protocol droid and disintegrated him.

It's never used in reference to a person.

And that's what I said.

5. Xavier-Kandryth

Sep 8, 2001
    But Vader was talking about human bounty's in Empire, not droid. Apologies for posting in the "wrong" section, but are you trying to tell me that a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away where they have lightspeed, hand held blasters and are able to bend light that it would be impossible for them to disintegrate a person? Real life people have been disintegrated before, I recall a man who attempted to break the sea speed record and flipped his boat at a high speed- if memory serves, he pretty much disintegrated. So if it can work in our somewhat technologically inferior world, then why not in the Star Wars universe?

6. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

But that's YOU calling it disintegration.

And it's YOU assuming that Vader is referring to humans in ESB.

It makes just as much sense if you take it to mean, "I want the humans alive. And the droids in one piece."

Like I said, "disintegration" is only ever defined (in SW) as destroying a droid. Until The Maker shows us otherwise, I'm sticking with that definition.

7. Wookie Pnub

Wookie Pnub Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2000
    I don't see how this can even be argued.

Droids are not alive.

Vader says, "...but I want them alive. No disintegrations."

Why would he request that any droids remain alive if they weren't alive to begin with?
    Vader is not an idiot...why would he request the impossible? He's clearly speaking of the humans he seeks.

It's like the old;
    "Doctor, will I be able to play the piano?"
    "Of course you will."
    "That's funny, I never could before."

8. Xavier-Kandryth

Sep 8, 2001
    Thank you Wookie, you put that better, and more diplomatically than I would have. Oz, you are right in that we don't know for sure until George Lucas says otherwise, but there is definitely, at the very least, a strong indication that Vader is referring to a life form, human or alien.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.