main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga No Doubt - Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon November Challenge Response

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: No Doubt
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon
    Timeframe: Post RoTS
    Summary: Obi-Wan finds himself stranded on a mission.
    Notes: Written for the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan challenge: Write a vignette (or longer) putting either Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan in a situation where he needs to use the skills of a tinker, tailor, soldier or spy. Can you use both Qui and Obi? Sure! I chose to write Obi-Wan as a tinker, and perhaps a bit of spy! :p

No Doubt

Anakin would have been able to do this with his eyes closed, Obi-Wan thought in self-disgust. As always, memories of his lost Padawan brought a pang that caused an almost physical pain. He?s not lost, actually. You know exactly where he is ? in Vader?s black armor. That was his conscience lending its unneeded contribution. That little voice spoke up a lot these days, much to Obi-Wan?s aggravation. He thrust away his painful ruminations and concentrated on the task at hand.

He was stranded on Keldor-9, a small planet that had, as far as he knew, no Imperial presence?yet. He was short of credits and out of luck, and he hoped to change both of those conditions within a short period of time simply because he had to ? he was needed on Tatooine where he would resume his vigil as guardian of young Luke Skywalker. Only the direst of circumstances had drawn him away from the desert planet, but now he needed to get back and soon.

Time, he had plenty of, luck ? well, that had proven to be a bit more elusive, hadn?t it? A Jedi has no need of luck, his Master?s voice echoed in his head. Then with a touch of dry amusement, But it never hurt either. A smile tugged at Obi-Wan?s lips, despite his frustrations with the device in front of him.

He had been right in taking the risk of leaving Tatooine, for he had gotten information vital to the surviving Jedi and he was the only one who could have gotten it. An informant from the old days, his years spent at Qui-Gon?s side, had only been willing to speak to Obi-Wan himself and he had taken the risk. The spy, now grown old and ready to retire, had given him news of an impending raid on a planet currently regarded as safe for outlawed Jedi. Word had been sent in time and everyone had escaped in time. Yes, the risk had been well worth it, for seven lives had been saved ? seven more beings that might one day help defeat an Empire. Once more, one of the ?pathetic lifeforms? his Master had been so fond of befriending had proven useful in some unexpected way. Qui-Gon?s treasure trove of unlikely acquaintances never failed to amaze and amuse Obi-Wan.

With a sigh, he squinted at the series of switches that still were not functioning properly despite his admittedly bumbling efforts. It was true that Anakin could have taken one look at the mass of wires and components and quickly fixed whatever was broken, but Obi-Wan knew that he himself was not completely without ability. After all, the life of a Jedi frequently called upon a wide variety of skills and gifts. But he knew that his own adequate work would never equal the lightning speed and grace with which Anakin could have accomplished the task. How often had he watched Anakin?s long, slim fingers dance over the insides of one gadget or another, only to have it working within moments? Too many times to count and the memory of those infinitely skilled hands was one of his most powerful and poignant memories of the man who was now known as Darth Vader.

?You there!? It was his employer?s voice, and Obi-Wan felt safe enough to wince because his back was turned to his boss.

?Yes?? Obi-Wan asked mildly as he turned to face the cranky Twi?Lek. His skills as a negotiator had proven to be quite useful when dealing with an unreasonable and irritable employer, he mused.

?You get that fixed yet?? Orrlin asked with a fierce scowl. His pale lekku twitched slightly in annoyance.

?Not yet, sir,? Obi-Wan answered with just a touch of deference. ?Almost.?

Orrlin sighed in exasperation. ?You?re worse than a Rodian,? he sighed in a

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Poor Obi-Wan should have paid more attention to Anakin's tinkering skills. It would have made it easier to fix the darn thing. But I liked the talk between Obi and Qui about Luke and the future. After all, I do understand how Obi wanted to be helping others but he was needed where he was needed.

Good job.

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Obi-Wan was caretaker to the future, a most important role. He should not harbor such insecurities.

Very nicely done. :)

4. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Such a very sweet introspection. Obi and Qui-Gon are in character here. It's understandable that Obi-Wan would feel torn; he's "away from his post" at Tattooine and yet still feels responsible for the Jedi who survived.

It's nice to think that he might have still had some usefulness as an active Jedi even after the purges.

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    How lovely. I loved the give and take between Obi and qui.

Yes? There was gentle caring in the voice, something that had not often been displayed in life. In all their years together, Obi-Wan had often sensed his Master holding him at arms? length, as if afraid of what might happen if he let his Padawan in beneath the walls he had built up around him after Xanatos? fall to darkness. Now, having experienced that same agony himself, Obi-Wan could much better appreciate Qui-Gon?s need for distance. Getting too close had proven far more painful than he had ever imagined.

What a great explanation.

Luke will do what he is meant to do, as will young Leia, Qui-Gon answered serenely. More than that, you cannot ask of them.

?But will it be enough?? Obi-Wan pressed.

There was silence for a moment and then Qui-Gon answered. That is not something I have been allowed to see, and visions of the future? Well, they are cloudy and ever-changing.

?Master?? Obi-Wan asked. ?I guess what I want to know is? Will what I do be enough? Will I have the strength to do whatever must be done in the years to come??

Qui-Gon?s voice was filled with love and pride when he answered. Of that, I have no doubt.

A perfect ending.

6. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Luke will do what he is meant to do, as will young Leia, Qui-Gon answered serenely. More than that, you cannot ask of them.

?But will it be enough?? Obi-Wan pressed.

There was silence for a moment and then Qui-Gon answered. That is not something I have been allowed to see, and visions of the future? Well, they are cloudy and ever-changing.

?Master?? Obi-Wan asked. ?I guess what I want to know is? Will what I do be enough? Will I have the strength to do whatever must be done in the years to come??

Qui-Gon?s voice was filled with love and pride when he answered. Of that, I have no doubt.

I am so glad Lcas left ObiWan Qui-Gon at least to help guide him .
    I loved that last 3 sentences. Obi-Wan deserved Qui's faith.=D=

7. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    You fulfilled the challenge admirably=D=

You take too much on your shoulders, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon chided. It is a frequent fault of yours.

Qui-Gon knows Obi-Wan so well
    very nice story.[face_dancing]

8. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Poor Obi-Wan. Here he has saved 7 lives and he doesn't think its enough.

I'm glad to see Qui was able to communicate enough with thim to offer him some advise and comfort.

Wonderful response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    dianethx Obi-Wan carries a burden, no matter where he goes.

Healer_Leona But that's our Obi!

divapilot Thinking about all those years is sort of fascinating. What did he do??? [face_thinking]

Valairy_Scot Thank you! [:D]

obsessedwithSW I think he would have been very proud of Obi-Wan. :)

Gkilkenny Yes he does! [face_laugh]

KELIA Thank you! It was fun to write! :D

10. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003

Awww! [face_love] That was just perfect! =D= =D=

11. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    aw, lovely response to the challenge.

[face_love] Loved it!

Great job =D=

12. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Aw, Obi-Wan still has all those doubts, but I guess that's why we love him. :) I'm glad he has Qui-Gon there to talk with. I love their conversations. Liked that bit of easygoing banter Obi-Wan had with his employer too.

Wonderful job! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.