main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"No Endor Holocaust possible" edit

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Omeganian, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omeganian

Omeganian Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2005
    I thought about this Endor Holocaust. Can't Episode VI be edited so as to remove the possibility for it. I mean, it won't take much. Just replacing the explosion of the bunker to readjusting the shield so it will protect the Endor moon instead of Death Star 2. R2 was damaged, I think, but there were consoles for humans as well.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
  3. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    there really is no need for anything like that, just because a guy on the internet took the movie far too seriously and, worse, applied real life physics to it just to wipe out Ewoks

didn't the author himself actually say at one point that it's not to be taken seriously?

4. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Endor. Holocaust. [face_plain]

Two words I would never have thought to be in the same sentence. Me thinks people are taking this movie a little too seriously...

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your point of view), there was no Endor holocaust and all of the Ewoks are alive and well. Yub Yub!

6. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Don't worry. All the debris was sucked into the black hole that the Glove of Darth Vader went through and burned up over Mon Calamari [face_mischief]

7. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    There would never be an Endor holocaust because even though being sucluded and isolated, Ewoks retaliate with our own technology which they somehow can operate. Hows that for probable?

8. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    If the ewoks could take down the empire with wooden sticks and hemp slingshots they could probably find a way to repel an exploding moon in their orbit. Maybe with one of those big nets they have. Just a lot bigger.

9. Darth_Drachonus

Darth_Drachonus Jedi Master star 3

Oct 4, 2005
    Uhm..is this a serious thread? An Endor Holocaust? I saw an empire get toppled by teddy bears, not a holocaust

10. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    The Endor Holocaust is a fan-theory that says when the Rebellion destroyed the Death Star the debris would fall onto the surface of Endor creating a situation akin to the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs. That said if you read the EU you know a black hole(wormhole?) sucked it and Vader's glove away and if you don't Lucas intends a happy ending so the Ewoks aren't wiped out.

11. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Endor_Holocaust

this is precisely why I hate the Technical Commentaries

12. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Even though I pay a lot of attention to Saxton when it comes to technical stuff, even I have to say that the Endor Holocaust theory is, while physically likely, detrimental to the happy ending of ROTJ.

13. Omeganian

Omeganian Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2005
    Just like the millions who died upon the Death Stars.

14. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

[face_hypnotized] Tooo serious. The OT is a fictional story with clear cut good guys and bad guys. The Death Star's millions were the fictional bad guys and the good guys won. Happy ending full stop.

And sheesh, why theorize about physics and debris raining down on a moon when we all know it couldn't happen in a galaxy that has sound in space.

15. Omeganian

Omeganian Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2005
    Not in space, in the cockpit.

16. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    space

the camera is outside cockpits most of the time

17. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Well, they do have an explanation for that, but yeah, it does seem like there is sound in space from our point of view.

18. skyysoblue

skyysoblue Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    this is the wildest theory I had ever seen. Basically it all depends on how far away the death star is, the neighboring planet's gravatational pull, and the size of the debris particles. Also, unlike meteors, they may not be travelling at meteor like speeds upon impact.

even setting aside the black hole theory, much of the debris may have actually ended up in orbit around the moon, with only a small fraction reaching the earth's surface

we also don't know the mass of the death star at the time it was blown up, although fully operational it may have just been a basic shell, only 1/3 or less of its final mass. after all, fighters were able to fly through it

how is it we can accept light sabers, light speed etc....but can't accept other "oddities" in a sci fi world

19. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Well when a movie as silly as Armageddon can address issues like this it can't be that out there. To be honest it's pretty logical if you think about it, you're just not supposed to think about it, which is sorta the motto of ROTJ. Regarding Armageddon (and Deep Impact), I think the Tech Commentaries were written not long after those films came out so the repercussions of a moon exploding in orbit of a planet and reigning debris down (including at least one chunk almost a quarter of the size of the DS that is on a trajectory straight for Endor) was more on people's minds.

20. Darth_Drachonus

Darth_Drachonus Jedi Master star 3

Oct 4, 2005
    QFT (Quoted For Truth, not Quit Feeding the Troll [face_laugh])

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.