main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST No Extended Cut Happening

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Drewton, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    “There will be deleted scenes, but not an extended version,” Abrams told us after the panel for his upcoming Hulu series 11.22.63 at the Television Critics Association’s press tour in Beverly Hills on Saturday.

We also asked what the longest cut of the film was before he edited it down to two hours and 16 minutes for theatrical release.

“I don’t know what the longest cut was,” Abrams said. “Probably, if it were with credits, close to two hours and 50 minutes was the first cut.”

Read more:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/09/force-awakens-dvd

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I'm not surprised. But the deleted scenes should be interesting.

3. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    I wonder if it's really JJ Abrams that gets to make this decision though?

dan1210 and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  4. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Now that's something to look forward to, when the DVD for TFA is released later this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Ugh - that sucks... luckily the Internet will simply provide us with the extended cut instead

Strongbow, 11-4D, dekaneas and 5 others like this.
  6. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    How can you leave out the iconic "handing Luke's saber to Leia" shot?

7. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    So the issue here is this.
    If the extra scenes provide needed info but will not be added that means that they do not exist?

If they dont exist will they be redone in the next movie?
    Or are they just going to never visit that info again in the movies and just leave it to EU?

Dameron likes this.
  8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

No. He doesn't own the property. If there is enough demand, an EE will happen.

Colm and Drewton like this.
  9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Leave it out of the deleted scenes? They may not leave it out of the deleted scenes of the blu-ray. But it wouldn't fit into the existing film if they put it back into the theatrical cut.

There was an entire subplot that was cut and Leia appeared earlier in the film and sent her envoy to Hosnian Prime to recognize the danger of the FO, They didn't listen and then were blown up. Leia was later moved to make her first appearance through Han's visit and after their rescue at Maz'.

The Maz handing off of the saber happened when the cut didn't feature Finn talking the saber and trying to give it to Rey.

These scenes should appear in the deleted scenes.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Can't wait to see the deleted scenes.

11. AAA_Tarpals

AAA_Tarpals Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2015
    Would the deleted scenes be considered canon?

12. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    If the deleted scenes were part of TFA, then it should be considered as canon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Well, Disney might demand an EE, but I doubt JJ would be OK with an EE being developed without his direction and approval. So I think this likely means no EE.

Fan edit it is!

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Although I would like to see an Extended Cut, it doesn't bother me that we won't get one. I don't know about some of you guys, but I'm sort of sick of these three hour features — the rewatch value just isn't the same as a two hour flick. Star Wars is better when it's a fast adventure...it's what made these films so appealing too, that you're left with wanting more. :)

15. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    It actually depends on the contract signed.
    But from what he sounds like in interviews.... he seems to be just be in-and-out asap.

16. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I am curious about the canon nature of these scenes... not so much because I think they will provide critical insight (although maybe they will?), but because we don't want a situation where they didn't really happen, yet no official source will ever say what did happen.

Kind of like Ventress' first appearance and Anakin's elevation to knighthood in the Clone Wars micro-series... that is not canon, but later canon worked around it as though those answers were final, leaving us with no explanation of some of those things.

If the deleted scenes are canon, fine. If they're not, then books/comics/animation/etc. need to be able to ignore them and overwrite if necessary.

None of this "the broad strokes happened, but maybe not exactly as shown... it's true until something shows it to be untrue...." The time for that is past.

OK, except for The Force Unleashed. Those broad strokes still happened unless something shows them to be untrue. [pouts]

17. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Well, sure. But it's nice to have the option of watching a longer cut, if you want.

Mainly, though, I just want to see that scene in the New Republic Senate with Kor Sella and Lanever Willecham.

18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Yes it does depend on the contract. But his contract was to direct TFA with final cut on the theatrical release. He neither controls nor owns the existing film.

19. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Just because there won't be a director's cut doesn't mean there won't be an extended edition.

20. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Doubt it.

Nope.

21. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    There will be an extended cut, you'll just have to grab a torrent to get it

MeBeJedi likes this.
  22. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Oh well.... I'm not upset personally..[face_dunno]

23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Yep. Two different things.

24. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm in minority here, but I am glad that we are not getting an extended cut. After GL and all those cuts, edits, and additions I am one for a movie being the way it is. Unless your doing something like peter Jackson in lord of the Rings/Hobbit. You get the theatrical version and later on you get the official special edition and that's it. Thankfully, the movie that I saw is the movie that I am getting in blue ray. Kudos to J.J. and hopefully Disney. Period.

B99 and Trooper100471 like this.
  25. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    As with all such situations in the past, both versions of the film would be available: the theatrical and the extended.

Force Smuggler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.