main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST No Extended Cut Happening

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Drewton, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This. If an extended edition is released, the theatrical edition must be released as well.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  2. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I just want to know when the special edition with chewbacca screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" When Han is killed is coming out

3. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

[face_rofl]

4. AzvAsana

AzvAsana Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2016
    Shoot! I was really looking forward to a 'Special Edition' cut where Han stabs first and Jar Jar Binks is cgi'd into a trash compactor scene with Phasma. So very disappointed!

5. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    With regard to the deleted scenes and whether they are canon or not i would suggest not. It depends on what they show, some deleted scenes would be canonical but deemed excess to requirements, others would of been made redundant by changes to the story. for example things changed due Rian Johnsons request were obviously meant to be canon but at a late stage Rian has requested that part of story be altered.

Maybe they will only include scenes that were deemed excess to requirements, who knows? i suspect these things will be made clear in the DVD.

Skellybobs likes this.
  6. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014

Yeah, an extended cut doesn't necessarily have to involve the director's original vision, which JJ feels is the theatrical version.

7. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    My personal take on this is that if the scene was in the novelisation then it's canon.

Skellybobs and MeBeJedi like this.
  8. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    An extended cut would be a first, I'm surprised they aren't considering it, it would definitely drum up some more interest than the standard Blu-Ray fodder.

9. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I would have liked there to have been extended scenes in some cases. A lot of the movie feels too stressed, too fast-paced.

Lt. Hija and shafty like this.
  10. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015

Not if it contradicts the movie

MeBeJedi likes this.
  11. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I can't think of anything in the novel that contradicts the movie.

12. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    we can't treat them as canon, because if we do, we'd have to accept Obi Wan's moustache twirl codes for tactics, and Anakin's spot on Artoo impression on board Grievous's ship as canon, too, and I don't want to live in that world.

MeBeJedi and Dandelo like this.
  13. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    I was thinking about this last nite after seeing the overwhelming amount of snowtrooper toys, personally i think it will happen and heres why.

1. This is set to be the biggest movie of all time and i can most definitely see a re release later on in the year so disney can maximise profit, with an extended or slightly altered cut? maybe.
    2. There are a few continuity errors which i would think JJ would like to clean up.
    3. The snowtrooper toys that were created and are quite prominent in the marketing and have less screen time than phasma, im sure disney would if possible add some of the snowtrooper parts back in to drum up interest in that line.
    4. Disney know the fans want it and will most likely release the theatrical cut first on blu ray then a special edition later to maximise profit.
    5. I dont think its JJ's decision to make.

If not an extended cut i bet there will be some slight differences in the home release, i personally think they were a little tight on time and the kylo ren thing missing his cape becomes quite obvious after a few viewings, will they leave that as is? i guess we will find out later this year.

14. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    With you all the way tbh. Don't mind some deleted scenes but I want the DVD of the movie I've seen 5 times at the cinema

15. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    I just love the movie so I don't care about Extended version / Director's Cut.
    Still, some "deleted scenes" could be interesting to watch although I would prefer a long, generous "Making of".

16. Jedimaster_Darklight

Jedimaster_Darklight Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 22, 2005
    I'm a sucker for deleted scenes, but it really depends on what each individual scene add in terms of story and feel.
    There's no reason to create an extended cut of a movie, if the extra scenes doesn't improve the experience or make it more interesting.
    I'll just wait it out and see exactly what the deleted scenes of TFA are all about. If some of them turn out to be great, then I will definitely mourn their fate as mere extra material.

17. Forceuser707

Forceuser707 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 23, 2015
    The movie is too short. Seems everything is crammed in.

They should really think about an Extended Edition.

18. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    No, deleted scenes aren't canon - they are DELETED SCENES. The same as if a novelist deletes a word, sentence or paragraph from a novel: it is gone.

19. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    So no scene of Captain Phasma's being pulled from the trash compactor swearing vengeance?!

Or Han slapping Ben and telling him off for upsetting his mother and forgetting to let her know he's okay after all these years?

Or revealing they did have access to a single capital ship after all Ackbar's ship was named HOME one after all!

20. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Will they at least include the revelation of Jar Jar as Supreme Leader Snoke in the deleted scenes?

21. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    , eh, not really bothered, as long as the sound is great the quality is great, and the extras are great..I'm happy :D

22. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Hell, give us extended editions of all seven. Put in all the deleted scenes as long as they're complete and don't contradict others in the final product

Alpha Sloth and Darth__Lobot like this.
  23. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    If those deleted scenes are in the novel, they are canon.

There's a big difference between a scene that was cut to make the movie flow better and one which was cut because they decided to change the story from what it initially was.

Seagoat, Alpha Sloth and MeBeJedi like this.
  24. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    'Canon', as we've learned time and time again over the past 38 years, is almost entirely meaningless.

25. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

If it's not in the movie it's not canon is my rule... and even then you aren't safe all the time

propeller likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.