main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST No Extended Cut Happening

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Drewton, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Allegedly, Phasma emerges from the trash computer with metal spider legs.

Skellybobs likes this.
  2. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    This is exactly right. Somehow even GL managed to contradict a few things himself in the PT (not all intentionally), so nothing is sacred!

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

It does move at a breathless pace. There's nothing wrong with that. But giving fans an additional bonus cut that went another route and slowed things down and introduced Leia sooner in the narrative(which was actually shot and cut), would be a cool thing.

4. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Not his decision to make but I doubt Disney/Lucasfilm would want to go against his wishes.

Kathleen Kennedy might setup another meeting to try to convince him otherwise lol.

5. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    The deleted scenes should not be considered canon because in many cases the deleted scene directly contradict what happened on screen. For example, the deleted scene where Maz hands the lightsaer to a female figure (I don't want to get into the "was it Rey or Leia?" silliness here so let's just accept she hands it to a female) is a direct contradiction of what happened in the movie, and the director obviously changed his mind.

So now, of course, we will get those who say "the deleted scenes are all canon unless they contradict other canon" which is another way of saying the deleted scenes are not canon.

6. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    With all the controversy around Star Wars changes with every release, the last thing these new movies need are different editions and new changes to add more confusion and scrutiny. As far as what people said about it being J.J. Abrams's decision, remember he negotiated to have a certain level of control over this saga. That may also include marketing and having what they call Final Cut.
    Not so. Authors add stuff, like in Return of the Jedi with Obi-Wan and Owen Lars.
    I read the novelization for Die Hard with a Vengeance and the ending was completely different. It was one of several endings shot for the movie, or at least scripted as possible endings. I can't remember if the thing about a lightsaber getting wet was in the novelization of The Phantom Menace or if there was a whole scene about it, but that would be another example of how it wouldn't be "canon" because then that would conflict with the lightsaber in the rain or other times it was used around water.
    If a scene fills a gap, never to be contradicted, that's one thing, but if it is an alternative then that's another. Why is this such a confusing thing for so many people? I was just watching the Star Trek cartoon. There's an alien in Chekov's seat. I doubt anyone mixed that up with the TV show and the movies.

7. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I'm not talking about other movies. I'm talking about TFA. I've read the novel and I couldn't find anything that contradicted the movie. So I'll be editing in the deleted scenes when I get my Bluray in April. Can't wait!!

8. Forceuser707

Forceuser707 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 23, 2015
    This is the same individual who told us the Oct 19th trailer would be the last.

Disney is sitting on a gold mine.

They would be very very stupid to pass this up.

I think as much as $150M+ OW domestic could result from a re-release done right.
    Times that by at least 2 and you get a four day WW take.

Leave it in theaters for a month and you have a shot at the all time WW record.

9. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Forceuser707 A theatrical extended release in May would be winning

Forceuser707 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.