No Jonathan Hales for EP3

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by ParanoidAni-droid, May 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Master

star 4

As stated by McCallum in the new Starlog, Hales will not return for EP III. A bit of a shame, I enjoyed his work in AOTC. Not that his writing was so obvious that I could always pick it out, but there were some definte Hales moments that simply cracked me up!

~PAd

2. Obi-Wan's Apparition Force Ghost

star 5
    That is too bad. I thought he did a marvelous job on AotC. :)
  3. Darth_Xero Jedi Master

star 1
    I read today that Frank Darabont(Shawshank Redemtion) is rumored to be the writer for "Indy 4" so maybe, just maybe, he might become a co-writer for "EpIII". :D That would be really cool.
  4. Jabachile Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it's a lot better for GL to have a co-writer, it adds a bit of contrast.
  5. ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Master

star 4

Well, that's sort of the point. If Hales is not coming back, no one else is taking his place. It's not that George did not like him, simply that he feels he will have enough time to write EP 3 on his own, which is a shame.

~PAd

6. Joey7F Jedi Master

star 4
    Are you sure about that? Maybe GL wanted Hales for some love scene dialogue and snappy one liners? Maybe he needs something else for Episode III.

Also, Hales may have said, "okay that is it for me"

I would not bet on Lucas doing it alone.

--Joey
  7. ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Master

star 4

Would Rick McCallum lie? He LOVES us! 8-}

Honestly, you never know with Ricky, he's a loose cannon, that one!

~PAd

8. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's hard to tell which lines Hales did and which ones Lucas did, though I think we can make educated guesses ;)

What about bringing back Lawrence Kasdan? Everyone seemed pleased with his writing on ESB and ROJ. Did he and Lucas have any kind of falling out? Kasdan also did work on some of the Indy movies.

The other school of thought is that this is the last SW movie, and Lucas wants to do this sort of work all on his own. This movie (Ep3) will be his lasting legacy, as will the saga as a whole. He might want to ride out into the sunset on his own horse, so to speak.
  9. Jar Jar Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm gonna say that George will probably take the reigns and do this one on his own as is the tradition for the endings to most great sagas. He did great alone I think for all of the films he wrote solo and while a co-writer may help, I think the final product would benefit more from the maker's touch. I'm sure he probably has many scenes for this episode already written out and I've always heard they were great so we'll find out very soon how great they are.

10. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I hope Lucas writes it all, however, I hope that he lets someone else read it, a writer, to give constructive critisism. I hope.
  11. Darth_Tyrannous Jedi Master

star 4
    I beg and prey that GL will bring back the men who made star wars work best: Kasdan as co-writer and Gary Kurtz as producer. Even though AOTC was amazing, Macullum is way too much of a yes man, Bring back Gray Kurtz and Laurence Kadan.
  12. BlackPool Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I know Hales was a co-writer this time, and I was expecting a bit of a different feel to the dialogue or something this time, but it didn't feel any different to me then TPM in some ways or ANH in others, both written alone by Lucas. So just what specifically did Hales do anyway?
  13. Telemachos Jedi Knight

star 2
    Jar Jar:
    He did great alone I think for all of the films he wrote solo...

Lucas only wrote ANH and TPM. Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan wrote TESB and Kasdan co-wrote ROTJ with Lucas.

BlackPool:
    Hales was brought in for various re-write purposes. Dialogue isn't necessarily the bulk of writing -- he may have added a scene or two, trimmed (or removed) others, streamlined the structure, etc. We really will never be able to be specific unless we saw both the pre- and post-Hales drafts. And of course it goes without saying that Lucas would have had a great deal of input in the Hales work as well.

It's my understanding that Hales was there largely to polish things a bit, nothing radical.

Darth_Tyrannous:
    Amen, brother. Too bad it'll never happen.

14. Darth_Tyrannous Jedi Master

star 4
    ^ ^
    I beg and prey GL will make a phone call that goes something like this: " Gary, listen we started this thing, let'sfinish it together... You will, great." (drools at the amamzing idea Kurtz had for ROTJ and what he could do for ANH, if he could make ROTJ seem dark, imagine what he could do for Ep III).
  15. Boba_Phat Jedi Master

star 4
    Kasdan will not be working on any new Star Wars movies. He's always said he feels Lucas should make them by himself, and no one else.
  16. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    What has Kurtz ever done, other than Star Wars?
  17. Boba_Phat Jedi Master

star 4
    The Empire Strikes Back. :p
  18. BlackPool Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Well I just saw a biography of Mark Hamill and aparently Kurtz did a movie with him called "Slipstream". So that's something other then Star Wars :)
  19. Boba_Phat Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, Kurtz also worked on "Dark Crystal." Nothing much else besides that.
  20. Darth_Tyrannous Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, I'm not saying the man's a genius but its obvious he has good ideas when it comes to star wars, he did produce, in my mind anyways, the two best of the five we have. Yes Attack of the Clones was just a sliver off brilliant but I beleive the series needs to stay very grounded and dark for episode III hence, Gary Kurtz and Laurence Kasdan then men who helped (along with Lucas) bring the OT to what it is now.
  21. Jabachile Jedi Master

star 4
    Again, I feel there should be SOME writer with GL so that a bit of contrast is added. I mean, let's face it....Georgy isn't always the most exciting guy 24/7!

I'm not saying he's bad, I mean, he's a genius! But having someone else, okay, maybe at least review and add their input I think would help tremendously.

If, though, he wants to continue the tradition and just end the saga himself, he's the one with the key to the Ranch!
  22. JohnWilliams00 Jedi Master

star 4
    I really hope Kasdan does step in, even though he said he doesn't want to get involved. I'm a bit worried if GL does this all by himself....
  23. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    Mad props to ParanoidAni-droid, spreadin' the word!

And personally I thought that AOTC had the worst screenplay so far. If GL wants to go it alone for Ep3, or find a new partner, fine with me!

Rick McCallum loves you!
  24. ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Master

star 4

In the beginning was the word. And the word was with Android. And the word was Android.

By and by, The One, that is McCallum (wly), saw that this was good, and blessed us... and loved us. Amen.

8-}

~PAd

25. son_of_the_tear Force Ghost

star 5
    Lucas took the script to TPM to Kasden and asked him to help him out. Kasden told him not to change a thing, that it was great the way it was.

Which, being a TPM gusher, I agree.

:D

So Lucas instead went to carrie Fisher and she polished it up a bit, uncredited of course.

But note, Leigh Brackett did not write ESB. She got credit out of respect and friendhip. Lucas rejected her draft.

Lucas co-wrote ESB with Kasden like they did for ROTJ.

If you look at the annotated screenplays, Lucas wrote the treatment and then the first 3 drafts of ESB. he then brought in Kasden to work on the 4th draft to polish it up and fix it up. Then after the 4th draft was done, they went on to do the final draft, the shooting script, together, bringing both their awsome forces together.

I love Kasden and they made a good team. I also like Kasden's films very much.

Some people say that when you have two writers, it may not be a good sign. On the contrary, writing teams not only are great but they are really fun to feed ideas of each other. I guess that is why I enjoy working with a partner when I write. Not because I have lack of faith in myself, but it's just fun and more productive.

I also like Hales. I would be fine if either Hales or Kasden came for Episode 3.

Or maybe not. Liven it up a little. Bring someone else in besides them.

And abour Kurtz... please. The dude was a good producer, but that's it. He did not create SW nor was it his story. Some people need to learn what a producer actually does. He makes sure the production runs smoothly. Is in charge of making sure everything runs on time, on budget, setting up meetings, hiring people and that the director is happy.

The only time a producer is involved in a creative aspect with the director is when the producer is the creative impulse in the film. Such as Lucas in Willow or Indiana Jones, in which he wrote the stories and other directed it. Then it becomes a team between Producer and Director.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.