main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

No more clumsy Stormtrooper? ANH

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by The Smashing-Wan, Sep 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Smashing-Wan

The Smashing-Wan Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 1999

I may be mistaken and I apologize if someone has mentioned this before.

I?m pretty sure that in the original ANH as well as the Special Edition, after the stormstroopers ?free? C3PO and R2 on the death star, when the troopers exit the room one of them bumps his head in the door.

Now, I?ve watched the DVD twice, and as far as I can tell, this has been fixed??

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Quite the opposite. There is now a healthy CLUNK when he hits his head!

(It's when the ENTER the room, not leave it)

3. friendly_bob

friendly_bob Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2004
    I actually like the dialogue of the Lead Trooper in that scene.

See to him!

I always think he's talking about Clumsy the Trooper. And I also think that it's Clumsy he leaves behind, like he's too much of a liability if he tags along. He sounds well miffed at the trooper he says it to!

4. Stejo-Miwar

Stejo-Miwar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Yeah! I noticed the CLUNK, I love this trait of troopers clunking their heads. George has done well to make this into a gag for the troopers.

5. Rise_Of_Thrawn

Rise_Of_Thrawn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    No, he still hits his head when he enters the room. Notice that when he leaves, he ducks under the doorway, too. I think you were just looking in the wrong place.

6. Darth-Jett

Darth-Jett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    This has to be one of my personal favorite changes. The scene was so cheesy to begin with, this just made it better. :)

7. Rise_Of_Thrawn

Rise_Of_Thrawn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    What change? He still hits his head, there is still a sound, and the lead trooper still says "See to him."

8. Baron_von_Doom

Baron_von_Doom Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2004
    When he says, "See to him", he is referring to one of the 2 guys that were hurt/killed by Han/Chewie. He didn't even SEE the ST hitting his head.

-BvD

9. Qui-Gon-Drinkin

Qui-Gon-Drinkin Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2004
    Actually, in the Episode II commentary, Lucas talks about this, and how in the scene where Jango boards the Slave I after fighting with Obi-Wan, he bumps his head on the door. Lucas did that intentionally, as kind of a gag, to show that Jango (and by extension his clones) are predisposed to that slight bit of clumsiness.

10. The Smashing-Wan

The Smashing-Wan Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 1999

That explains it. I was expecting it when the left the room. Sorry.

11. Orionsangel

Orionsangel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Assuming it was changed. This again makes me suspicious about what happens to Clonetroopers in ROTS. Think about it, the voices of stormtroopers have not been changed to match Jango in the OT. Stormtrooper bumping his head scene in ANH is removed? Stormtroopers are different heights from one another?

This leads me to believe that at onetime Lucas wanted the stormtroopers to be direct clones of Jango, so Jango bumps his head in AOTC, but Lucas must have changed his mind and now that Stormtrooper bumping his head scene in ANH had to be removed.

So perhaps Jango is no longer used as a clone, new humans are used for the cloning process, which we might find out about in ROTS? Perhaps all the Jango clonetroopers were whiped out during the Clone Wars?

Jango was found to be working with the enemy and killed, so new specimens had to be used for cloning? Maybe Boba Fett is the only remaining Jango clone?

12. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Orionsangle,
    The bump is there. The original poster just missed it. I did too. I had to back up the DVD to see it. The clunk is rather loud too :D

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Anyways, we know the clonetroopers were Jango clones, but who's to say they didn't make more clones before ANH from a different source?

14. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    "See to him" refers to the dead/hurt Imperial on the floor.

15. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    "See to him" refers to the dead/hurt Imperial on the floor

Yeah, the guy Chewie floored with one punch.

16. DINVADER26

DINVADER26 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Lucas already told Pablo (The Hyperspace diary writer) that by ANH the Stormtroopers are NOT all clones of Jango, I have said this multiple times, it said it in a Hyperspace diary and in the SW INSIDER.

17. UniversalDestiny

UniversalDestiny Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    It's funny I never noticed the Clunk till I watched my first set of SE's a few years ago.

Heh I was born in 1983 and didn't notice that till I was 18!

And I call myself a SW Fan...

18. wathomas777

wathomas777 Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2004
    Thank you.

If you read any of the extra novelizations, you will realize that Stormtroopers do not equal Clones.

Timothy Zahn's Excellent Post OT series "The Thrawn trilogy" explains why Storm troopers (i.e. conscripts) were deemed better than clones. I believe Lucas has actually "blessed" the Thrawn Trilogy as Tie Fighter, an official LucasArts project even has the Thrawn Character in it.

The clones from Kamino may have been fine, and in Episode 2 they served their purpose, but the Clones are not superior to well trained humans.

The emporer used the clone army to start the clone wars and help eradicate the jedi. However, he spent considerable time and effort conscripting real "humans" to serve as members of the Imperial Navy.

I will even go so far as to say, that it is unlikely any clones are left by the time ANH takes place.

Realize that over twenty years have passed since the inception of the Clone Army, and the Clones were artificially enhanced to develop more quickly, (ie age more quickly).

By the time ANH opens, it's quite likely that most of the "battle ready" clones of Episode II are collecting retirement in an Imperial Retirement Facility.

The clones were another part of Palpatines bid to centralize and control the Republic, at the end of the clone wars, his need for them disappeared and he replaced the clones with conscripts throughout the galaxy.

19. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Books and videogames aren't canon. Sorry.

20. wathomas777

Sep 23, 2004
    But the "official" novelizations of the Original Trilogy are Canon, and they don't mention anywhere that ANY of the stormtroopers are left over 'clones' from the clone wars.

And nowhere in the Movies are the Stormtroopers inferred to be clones.

People are jumping on the "clone" band wagon because the 'armor' in Episode II begins to look like traditional Storm Trooper Armor.

Sorry, but just because the armor starts to look similar does not mean that storm troopers are clones.

21. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Why would it matter that it's a Clone or not, anyway? Maybe he was just a clumsy officer?

GL added Jango clunking his head on the door to his ship, because he thought fans would laugh and remember the scene in ANH.

People read way too much into these things.

22. wathomas777

Sep 23, 2004
  23. Darth-Jett

Darth-Jett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    What change? He still hits his head

I was talking about the noise they added when he hits his head, what change did you think I was talking about?

24. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Books and videogames aren't canon. Sorry.

Technically they are, just a lower level than movie canon. Anything in the EU that isn't contradicted by the movies is deemed canon.

25. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    The Ion Cannon is canon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.