main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion No more Hyperspace?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jedi Dragon D, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Hey, remember those web exclusives during prequel production?

Anyone heard if they gonna do that again, or not anymore?

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Web exclusives such as pics of absolutely nothing for paying fans to lose their minds over. We figured out the entire plot of AOTC once they were generous enough to bless us with this:
    [​IMG]

3. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I loved those myself. Made time go by fast!

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    With J.J. Abrams running the show he'll probably have the entire Hyperspace BTS crew deported to Siberia.

5. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I despised Hyperspace. It seemed like a ludicrous way to seperate fans from their money.
    Obviously the appetite was there, but it was the sort of stuff that other productions would beg you to look at, not charge you for it. The arrogance of it was off the chart.

laurethiel1138 and Vale Man like this.
  6. Lord Tuvitor

Lord Tuvitor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    Yeah, Hyperspace was a joke. Toss it.

Vale Man and Echo-07 like this.
  7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree that Hyperspace must go. However, LFL and Disney are going to have to come up with a way to stay "connected" to the fan. Knowing JJ Abrams' penchant for secrecy (and I may be understating it here), I am not sure that "spoiler-type" photos is something we will expect in the future.

8. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    The SW department of Lucasfilm closed down many things on the SW site over the couple of years.
    In the past, the SW site was the place to be for a SW fan. Now, it is just a shell of its former self.
    A shame...

9. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    JJs gunna really have to up his security, and secrecy practicies if he thinks he can prevent Star Wars from leaking. Unlike Star Trek, I can see a LOT more people wanting to find any way to get onto set/get scoops because they know it will get instant hits for their website. Plus...star trek 2 had some set leaks to...well lets see. I kinda want some leaks *nothing major. Just a non-spoiler set pic here and there*.

10. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    JJ loves the ARG's.
    Make it a game that teases plot and everything.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Dharma_Initiative_Recruiting_Project
    http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Find_815
    http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Lost_Experience

These even got tv spots during Lost season finales. I think if they started them early enough you could have people actively pursueing the game to get hints as to what Star Wars EP 7 will be all about. I know I would.

Rather than paying, you have to work for your information.

This one was apparently for Halo 4? (I think it still works)
    http://survivalcode.com/

fishtailsam likes this.
  11. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    They need to bring back holonet news!

yggdrasil311 and Unchosen One like this.
  12. Unchosen One

Unchosen One Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2012
    Holonet News was awesome. At least they still have the archives of the previous editions.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    For those who don’t know, HoloNet News was an “in-universe” newsite that lead up to AotC. The day before the movie came out, the headline was that Padme had been assassinated on Coruscant. Then, it was “shut down for the duration of the emergency.”

I think it was brought back in the lead-up to RotS in SW-Insider; regardless, it was brilliant.

14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I still remember how everyone was huddled around, scrutinizing every frame of that Hyperspace "webcam" coverage.
    In retrospect, it was quite pointless and there was absolutely nothing to see.

Some guy rode by on a bike, and everyone lost their freakin' minds.
    That's about the extent of Hyperspace.

But, have to be honest, at the time, it seemed like a good idea - something might happen. But, yeah, it didn't.

15. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Which is why I prefer the arg plan. Even if it is only a website that is like the CNN of the Galaxy, who cares. They can update in universe stuff.

16. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Hasn't it been gone for a few years already?

17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Yes it had, however they could possibly bring it back, but I doubt they will

18. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    OK. I'm going to go and eat my sub now

19. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Would love a 'HoloNet News'
    Would go nuts for an ARG.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  20. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I would love if they did those 10/15 min production videos that Peter Jackson did (still does) during the production of the hobbit, that was pretty cool, but since he's not the one directing EP VII, maybe we will see something different or they will probably be very secretive about the production and only send a couple still pictures once in a while.

Do you think they will do something for this year Comic-Con? Did they ever had a panel in Comic Con during the prequel trilogy?

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am stoked to put up mental blocks so that I completely forget what an infuriating disappointment each and every issue of Insider was leading up to the films... with Rick McCallum's exclusive insights such as "They removed the lens cap before using the camera".

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  22. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I also agree Hyperspace was a waste of fans money. The good news is that took place before things like Twitter and Facebook. I imagine they will do a tweet every once in a while showing "something". In a best case scenario, starwars.com will do weekly blogs.

23. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Throwing in my praise for HoloNet News too! Loved the concept and wish they would have continued using it more. Think of all the cool stuff they could do with it in conjunction with the Clone Wars TV series. They definitely could have added a lot of content that would help expand and ease the problem that 22 mins have on constraining story.

And while Abrams is known as being a secretive filmmaker, I"m sure we'll be treated to all kinds of behind the scenes stuff. The Star Wars fanbase is huge, and practically every Star Wars related production (even video games, etc) involves the fans in some capacity. Expect social media to play a much larger role this time around, as it was barely just starting when Episode III came out.

24. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    "Sleepless Knight" paid for HS for me ^:)^ =P~

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The juxtaposition between how Lucasfilm treats it's BTS stuff (if the prequels are any indication, I don't see why that would change) and how JJ Abrams runs the show is interesting because, I wouldn't say that SW BTS stuff in production is exactly crazy spoiler-heavy but considering how Abrams treats his productions it is, and that would completely run counter-intuitive to how he makes movies. I personally think Abrams will have his way and it'll be as secretive as any of his flicks but maybe the Lucasfilm crew will sit him down and be like "Uh, JJ, you really gotta show SOMETHING, y'know?" "No!" "Yes!" "No!" "Yes!" Whoever runs outta breath first is the loser.