main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends No More Jedi (AU, OCs, Linked Vignettes)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by galactic-vagabond422, Jul 14, 2016.

1. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    Title: No more Jedi
    Author: galactic-vagabond422
    Characters: OCs,
    Timeframe: 200-300 years after Yavin
    Genre: Poitical Argument
    Rating: G
    Summary: What happens when a galaxy has had enough of war, and a man loses everything? What happens when the people cry out for radical change?
    Disclaimer: Star Wars and related properties are owned by Lucasfilm Ltd.

Author's Note: This is an idea that came to me long ago, and I was just struck with the inspiration to write it. This has not been edited by anyone but myself so please excuse any mistakes. Constructive feedback is encouraged.

No More Jedi​

NO MORE JEDI, NO MORE SITH, WE ARE DONE WITH ALL OF IT

A crowd of protesters shouted, gathered outside the senate hall, in full view of the Chancellor's office. Another war had ended, a war sparked by a conflict between the Jedi and Sith. It ripped the galaxy apart, and killed billions, soldier, Jedi, and innocent. The Republic was still reeling and the recovery had barely begun. After the war ended, bought about by the Grandmaster of the Jedi order sacrificing his life to kill the Dark Lord that lead the Sith forces, widespread protests sprung up. They were calling for the disbanding of the Jedi, seeing it as a breeding ground for the Sith, and blaming them for the war that ravaged the galaxy.

The Senate was so devastated by the war that to just have a functioning government, rushed elections were held and many Anti-Jedi politicians were elected to office. Now they called for the disbanding of the Jedi Order, and strict controls on those that were once affiliated with them.

The Supreme Chancellor, Annx Tig, clasped her hands behind her back looking out over the crowd. It seemed to stretch for miles almost beyond the horizon, and the chants reached even up to her sparse office, high above the cityscape of Coruscant. Her snout twitched as she turned to face the Human standing against the back wall, her long traditional tunic fluttering as she did so.

The Human, a male in military dress uniform, the markings of a General on his chest, stood arms crossed and did not move as the Nalroni sat down.

Chancellor Tig tented her hands, resting her elbows on the metal desk she now sat behind. She placed her chin on the space between her thumbs and forefingers.

"The winds of change are getting louder." She started looking at the mess of flimsi that covered the area in front of her, each one a letter demanding that she do something about the Jedi, all of them from families that lost someone in the war. "They demand that I do something about the Jedi but, what can I do. Outlawing them would only drive them underground, waiting to appear at a moment's notice. Then there is the matter of the Sith holdouts scattered across the Outer Rim, the Jedi are the best equipped to handle that mess so, getting rid of them would greatly hamper our efforts to bring peace to this galaxy once again. However if I do nothing, planets may leave the Republic, and pass their own laws governing the rights of Jedi, laws that could fundamentally violate the rights of persons that have made a commitment to up holding justice in this galaxy."

This last line draws a snort out of the General. "Justice."

"And I…" Tig continued ignoring the comment, "would be powerless to stop them. I could most certainly embargo them but, between the already Independent Systems, and the Corporate Sector, it would be an empty gesture." She set her amber eyes on the Human, golden fur rising a bit on the top of her head. "I need solutions, and you claim to have one."

General Hierro Lionus nodded his head grey combed back hair not moving a millimeter, his face set in stone. "I do."

"Then, you have my attention." She replied flicking her hand, conceding the floor to the severe looking man.

Lionus crossed the space, moving to the window overlooking the protest.

Although it was muffled, their chant was still audible. Tig turned in her chair keeping her eyes fixed upon him. "My plan is simple, dismantle the Jedi Order, and bring the apparatus for training Force sensitives under the prevue of the Republic."

"You wish to bring the Jedi fully into the Republic." The Chancellor narrowed her eyes, "That would go against millennia of tradition keeping the Order and the Government separate."

"You misunderstand Chancellor." He turned standing straight as if his spine had been replaced with a durasteel rod, "The Jedi would no longer exist, and their philosophy would be done away with. Not a shred of Jedi teachings would be used in this new system."

"Then how do you intend to train these new force sensitives, the Jedi have been doing so since before the Republic." Tig's face sours, already she doesn't like where this is going.

"And that very same Jedi training that has failed the Republic since the beginning." Lionus's hand tightens into a fist, "Every generation goes through a cycle, of Jedi falling to the dark side and tearing the galaxy apart. It is all down to how they are trained. Too much is left up to their 'Masters'," the way he said the word betrayed his true feelings he had nothing but disgust for those that lead the Order. Time and time again they had failed to protect the galaxy or prevent the next war, they deserved no respect from him. "Their mysticism and fear of the dark side has led too many down the wrong path, and this Republic into war."

"And you believe you can train Jedi better? Rather presumptive of you." Tig's brow lowered, her tone low almost mocking

"I'm not training Jedi, I'm training Force sensitives."

"Semantics," Tig barked bringing her hands to rest at her sides, "the public will still see them as Jedi, no matter how large a role we play."

"That remains to be seen" The General returned to his natural stance, arms crossed, feet planted firmly into the floor, a shoulder with apart, "but, when I am done, the beings coming out of this new system will look nothing like the superstitious Jedi, so bound by their traditions, unwilling to change with the times, too blind to realize that they are an outdated order that brings more darkness than light."

The politician threw up her hands, "The problem is that only they can handle the darkness they create."

"And yet they drag us into their squabbles and cost us far more than it costs them." A hearty snort left Lionus's nostrils flaring them a little. "The Jedi are not the only group that can handle the Sith. With proper training, a group of soldiers could do it and the new core of Force sensitives that would be created would be more than a match for any darkness we come across." He pinched the bridge of his nose, "The Sith are not supernatural monsters, that should be feared but, mindless radicals that can be stamped out with a heavy boot."

Tig rolled her eyes, "How exactly do you plan to train these 'Force sensitives'?"

"Madam Chancellor." He nodded his head, showing her due respect as required by the code of conduct he lives by. "Under this new system, all force sensitives will be trained, not by former Jedi but, by beings of a new school, a school that tears away all the philosophy, leaving only the mechanics of the Force."

"I do not understand," Tig replied with a small shake of her head, "mechanics of the Force?"

With a wave of his hand a piece of flimsiplast flew into Lionus's hand. The Chancellor is unsurprised by this action, it was well known that the Lionus family was strong in the Force, "Mechanics," he said returning the paper to it's place, "I did not need to feel the connection to the galaxy to move that piece of flimsi. I just needed to pull on the thread that connects me to it. The Jedi see an intergalactic web that must be considered, when they need to focus on what is necessary in the now. This new school will focus only on using the Force as what it is, a tool, used to complete a task. Not some mystical ether that should be revered."

"Is that not how the Sith view it?" Tig asked tilting her head.

"The Sith seek to use the force to gain selfish power, this new school would mirror military training, engraining duty, honor, and service to the Republic, not to some energy that has no will of its own."

"You would turn the Jedi…" Lionus gave a hardened his gaze at that word, as it left the Chancellor's mouth. "I mean Force sensitives into an arm of the military?"

"Only those that have an aptitude for it, those who do not conform to military standards will be funneled into other more suitable training, in agriculture or medicine. The Force has far more uses than just moving objects. But each track would still hold the same underlying structure. The Force is a tool, nothing more."

"It's a very powerful and dangerous tool." Tig's head lowered, her eyes glaring up at the man.

"No more so than the blasters we trust to our soldiers." Lionus dismissed the worry with a wave of his hand, "All it takes if proper training."

A silence over took the conversation, the Chancellor again deep in though. "Say we do this," she said finally, "say we pursue your 'New School'. What do we do with the Jedi, and those that wish to join them?"

"The remaining Jedi will be scattered," Lionus stated matter-of-factly, "without their precious order they will have nothing to rally behind, though I would suggest keeping an eye on them, just in case. And those that wish to join them, will have no opportunity to, or will find it very difficult, too difficult to do so. And after a few years the Jedi will fade away replaced by the new Force sensitives this school will create."

"How do you intend to recruit these force sensitives? What if they will not join your little project?"

A sharp breath left Lionus, as he glared at the seated kynoid, "You know I've always advocated for a mandatory military or civil service period for all Republic citizens. Each being would be given an aptitude test to see where they would be best suited. It would be simple enough to add a test for Force sensitivity to the battery."

"Then we single them out, like some sort of second class citizen?"

"No, then we train them, in how to use the Force properly, steep them in duty and honor."

"You mean brainwash them? I will not allow that." Tig turned her face away, she didn't want that, she didn't want to punish the few just for the sake of the many, be she could feel her resolve weakening.

"How is it any different from the training the Jedi give, surrounding them in codes and traditions, so many are blinded by a romanticized ideal of what the Jedi are, they do not realize the lies and backward thinking."

"Couldn't we just abolish the Jedi and leave it at that," The Chancellor rubbed her eyes in frustration, part of her didn't want to like this, it all felt wrong but, a steadily growing part agreed.

"And let Force sensitives just run loose," Lionus's brow furrowed mirroring the simmering tension in his chest, "that is a recipe of disaster, eventually they will find their abilities and we will have no control over how they learn. Then each one could be a Sith or Jedi or something else entirely and we would be back were we started. Removal is not the solution, replacing is."

"I still don't like this, forcing beings that never asked for power to submit to training and, to force all our brilliant minds into military service along with them, the Senate, no, the people will never accept it."

"Would you set aside your personal feelings and just look out there." Lionus roared pointing out the window. "The people want the Jedi gone, they are a vestige of a bygone era that should have been done away with ages ago."

"I want to agree but, is what you are proposing any better, turning Force sensitives into a militaristic arm of the Republic?"

"Not all of them," The General's voice softened, uncharacteristically, the Chancellor's fur began to stand on end, worried at this new development. "Some will be great doctors, will help planets recover after cataclysms, will increase crop yields, all under the auspices of you, the Chancellor, not the military. Only those that show an aptitude and will to face combat will be in the military." While that certainly sounded better than turning all of them into soldiers but, the question still remained, should this effect all the citizens of the Republic or just the few that are Force sensitive?

"That…" TIg replied a little hesitant, "That still removes all agency from them, just for what they are, I…I can't."

The General's eyes lit with fire, "You want to talk about removing agency. What about the planets depopulated by the Sith, the systems destroyed, the climates turned upside down by warfare, did those people have any choice." Whatever softness that had entered his voice was purged by the heated words that flew from his mouth, "What of the Jedi, using their mind ticks, does that not also remove agency. What assurance do we have that they use that terrifyingly violent ability justly, who oversees them, who polices them…themselves! That system has gone on long enough, it's time the Republic stopped this madness."

Tig did her best to remain unmoved by the General's outburst. "General," she restrained her voice giving it a cold edge, "are you sure you are not making this decision because of what happened to your children?"

"Don't you dare, bring my children into this, they are victims of the Jedi. And yes I'm emotional but, so are they." Another strong finger pointed out the window.

"They've all lost someone," He continued, "I know their pain, and I don't want another being to feel this anguish, I buried my son and my daughter is still catatonic." The rage flowed forth, unrestrained, "They forced her to kill her own brother, then were nowhere to be found when she needed help." He took a breath trying to cleanse his voice of the vitriol he held towards the order that destroyed his family. "But, this is not about me, or my family. It's about the billions of lives and billions of families affected by yet another war between the Jedi and Sith."

"I still feel that this plan is coming from a place of emotion, of anger."

"No Chancellor," Lionus's voice deepened, and held a sharpness that made Tig's sit up straight, "If I was truly angry, I'd be advocating the complete eradication of the Jedi, executing every last one of them. Then place their bodies on display for the entire galaxy to see, a warning to all that would follow that cult, and a sign that we've ended the scourge of the Jedi."

Tig's lips turned down and she sunk further into her chair, disgusted by the words pouring out of Lionus's mouth.

"That Madam would be a plan born of anger," The General took a breath and returned to his full height, "I'm just frustrated, frustrated that nothing has been done about this when we've had every opportunity to do so." He screwed his eyes shut for only a moment, trying to clear his head. "The Jedi have severed their purpose, they bought us out of the Empire and restored the Republic for that I am grateful but, now they have become a liability. It's time to end this, to stop the pain and stop the loss."

"I still cannot agree to this, it…it goes against what the Republic stands for."

"If we allow this to continue there will be no planets left to govern, no people for the Republic to represent."

"Can we not just table this for now," The doubt and worry cracked the Nalroni's voice, "just for a little while and discuss it once cooler heads…"

"No," Lionus thundered, "the time to do this is now, while the Jedi are weak, before they can gain strength and begin to sway the minds of the people again. Before they can pin the blame on a few, and the people will forget about what started this war in the first place, a Jedi falling to the dark side, taking up the mantel of a dead Sith lord, and drawing others along with him. Then the next generation will suffer the same fate as this one, another war will be fought, and more lives will be lost and all because you failed to do anything when you had the chance."

"You cannot know that."

"The millennia of conflict between the groups in the Jedi's own history tell me that. It is time for the cycle to be broken."

Tig looked away, the Anti-Jedi protests seeming to get louder. If she did this it would single out an entire group for differential treatment but, did not the Jedi already receive that treatment, equal parts protection and derision. Would institutionalizing it really be that bad, would it be that good either?

"Madam, I came to you out of duty, I answer to you but," While his statement started out respectful, it flipped in an instant, "how strong do you believe your position to be?" his cool voice caused the politician's brow to shoot up in surprise. "Do you believe your administration can survive a no confidence vote?" The chilling tone send a small shiver down the Chancellor's spine.

Tig's body hunched forward, panic and worry played across her face, "The opposition would be fools, we've only just begun the rebuilding, to have an election for Chancellor in the middle of this would be madness." She knew her position was tenuous, one of convenience, not of choice.

"Do you think they won't try it, if you do nothing with the Jedi? Especially when I provided a solution…"

"This is a private meeting," She snapped, amber eyes narrowing, "it stays between us."

"For as long as I remain an Officer in the Republic armed forces, you are my superior, I will keep what is said in confidence. If that were to change however," His icy blue eyes returned her glare, "I would be unbound."

"You would resign," She could no longer hold in her shock and disgust, "just to see your vision realized, and you call the Jedi blind."

Lionus, held back a growl, he was not a Jedi, he was just committed to his plan, and had conviction in his cause. "I just think something needs to be done. And I won't stand by anymore."

"You have put me in a very precarious situation." Tig sat back pressing her palms together and pressing them to her lips, deep in thought.

"I'm a General madam, I look at all the angles."

"You know that even if I bring this before the Senate, it could still fail." Tig's hands broke from each other as she turned her wrist in a dismissive fashion

"You're right," Another stiff nod for the career military man, "but, at least I did something, and even this fails, I will keep trying." His jaw set itself as he stood as resolute and unmoving as a mountain.

Tig hung her head, the protesters voices rang out though her office, an office she just returned to,

2. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    I saw your comment about "screaming into the void" in the OC Revolution thread, and since it is a feeling I can relate to, I thought I would check out some of your work. I am glad that I did; this is a fascinating premise! Turning the Jedi (oh, I'm sorry, Force sensitives) into a secular organization and part of the Republic is a radical solution to the age old Jedi vs. Sith struggle. And while one could argue that the Old Republic Jedi tested for and all but compelled Force sensitives to attend their academy, what Lionus propose strips the Force of its meaning. Wow, talk about chilling. I'm sorry, but I don't trust him when he says he won't all be soldiers; perhaps not but I would bet that even the doctors and agriculturalists will be used strategically rather than altruistically. I think Tig is closer than he would like to admit when she says his solution comes from emotion.

Poor Tig; her heart seems to be in the right place. She wants to protect the Jedi's rights as well as to do what's best for the Republic's citizens, but she's between a rock and a hard place. She's the picture of someone who seeks office for all the right reasons, only to find that sometimes all your choices are bad choices and sometimes egos and ambitions are more powerful than ideals. To me story touches on some interesting themes of religious freedom and intolerance.

One small bit of con crit: occasionally you switch from past tense into present tense, e.g. "A silence over takes the conversation, the Chancellor again deep in though."

I enjoyed this story and I'm curious to learn more both about the events that led to this state of affairs and what will happen once Lionus's plan is put into place.

=D= =D= =D= Keep shouting into the void!

3. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Raissa Baiard Thanks, I'm tempted to write a story set before and one after the "Force Sensitives Act" is implemented, possibly focusing on the tragedy of the Lionus family and the first class of Force sensitives to come out of the new school.

We'll see if I ever have time to do something with it.

Ewok Poet and Raissa Baiard like this.
  4. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    I hope you do. I'd love to see them!

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Golly, I certainly don't envy Chancellor Tig right now. :( She's really between several rocks and hard places here with this Jedi dilemma. On one hand, one can kind of see where the angry masses shouting outside the window are coming from on this. On the other hand, if there really are still Sith straggling about, the Jedi really are about the only thing that could have any hope of keeping them in check, and the Sith aren't exactly the sort to let themselves be fazed by angry crowds of non-Force-sensitives (which part of me wishes those crowds could see).

Then add to that this rather oily General Lionus and his "proposed solution." He is giving me a very Prequel-Era Palpatine impression, and indeed I wonder if he has a similar power grab as an ulterior motive here. My gut reaction to his solution is the same as Tig's—too much homogenization, too much one-size-fits-all, too much stripping away of uniqueness. Also the notion of regarding the Force simply as a tool, as a means to ends, really does seem a little too Sithlike for comfort. But then when we learn of what happened to Lionus's children... oh, then the whole situation becomes even more fraught—because on one hand we really do want to sympathize with him, and yet on the other hand it's hard to shake the feeling that he's mainly only playing them as a card, so to speak, in this debate.

And he really and truly does seem to be threatening her at the end with the issue of a no-confidence vote... now that really is uncomfortably similar to what Palpatine did to Valorum in Episode 1. He talks about the Jedi-Sith cycle repeating itself, but it seems to me that the cycle most likely to repeat itself is that political one from the prequels. And Tig's words and gestures of despair at the very end shows that she's very close to giving in to it... yoicks! [face_nail_biting] One of those situations where I wish I could jump into the story and warn the character.

It certainly would be cool if you wrote more about these characters and this Force Sensitives act! And I do commend you for writing a "political argument" that turned out to be very interesting and engaging to read—that's not always the case with those, of course. :D

galactic-vagabond422 likes this.
  6. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Title: No more Jedi: Broken Pride
    Genre: Trauma
    Rating: PG
    Summary: What drives a man to make a radical change, what does it take to break a person, and what draws people to darkness?

Author's Note: Here I am continuing to yell into the void. I don't know if this is stronger or weaker than my first but, as always constructive feedback is encouraged.
    No More Jedi: Broken Pride

Sweating palms, ponding heart, and shaking hands, that's what she always remembered, that and the lightsaber her fingers wrapped around. She may have been a Jedi but, this situation was far too much for Vidri Lionus. She screwed her eyes shut, she had to do this, she was the only one. He'd gone too far, he needed to be stopped, her brother needed to be stopped. Through her mind was made up, her heart was far less resolute There was only one other person with her was a dark hair woman with amber skin, her former master, Acha Min.

Vidri's heart pounded in her ears as the cabin was deadly silent. Time seemed to slow within the confines of the vessel, while outside she knew a battle raged. This was a Sith stronghold, a Jedi strike force had landed to draw attention to the front, while Master Min and Knight Lionus snuck inside, and dealt with the base commander, directing the fight from inside, Darth Caligo, once called Guerre Lionus.

Vidri could feel him, the darkness that now consumed him, the fear, the suffering, it radiated out from the walls of the fortress he hid behind. It wasn't like him, he did not hide from a fight. Like their father he led from the field, not ensconced behind thick walls and defenses. When did he become so afraid?

Another tremor ran through her body as the ship landed on the abandoned platform. Wordlessly Min walked to the back and lowered the ramp.

Everything passed in a blur, dodging patrols, avoiding reinforcements, and skirting sensors, all of it led to one thing, facing the evil that inhabited the very center of the base. As they moved deeper, Vidri felt colder, as if the heat was being pulled right out of the air. A shiver ran down her spine as she turned a corner. He was close, so very close. His voice almost whispered in her mind.

Sith troopers, altered by the darkness to the point of not even being sentient anymore, leapt out of nowhere. A trap had been set. Min cut a path, her green blade dancing through the air leaving destruction in its elegant wake. Vidri rushed though the gap made, calling on the Force to strengthen her legs, and harden her heart to the screams of her former master as she was struck down.

There is no death, there is the Force. That was the mantra she repeated over and over in her head.

Tears stung at the young woman's eyes, and sweat drenched her short, golden blonde hair, as she moved ever forward, closer to the confrontation she'd been dreading. The chilling despair grew inside her with each step she took, coming to a horrible freezing point when she reached the door, the final one, beyond it her destiny waited.

The stone door slid opened, and sitting in a meditation position, was Guerre Lionus, his long red brown hair spilling over his shoulders. His traditional robes replaced by dark armor that seemed to absorb the light around him. His eyes opened, unnatural yellow irises bored into the Jedi. He rose effortlessly calling his lightsaber to his hand.

"I wondered when you'd get here Vidri." His voice was low and icy, completely unlike the warm tones he use to speak, the warmth that could comfort her that made everyone smile.

"Guerre please," Her voice cracked with emotion, "stop this, come home."

"Stop what?" He answered hands extended out to his sides "bringing about a perfect galaxy."

"A perfect galaxy?" Vidri's jaw dropped, "You call what you've done a perfect galaxy, the monsters ravaging planets, cities left smoking ruins, and whole worlds poisoned. You call all of that better?"

"They left us no choice, they stood in our way, they halted our progress, they had to be removed."

"Do you even hear yourself, us and them, when did you start thinking in such terms. Every last person you've killed had families, loved ones. Can you not feel the pain that permeates the galaxy now, or have you cut yourself off from it. Because I feel all of it and I can barely handle it."

"You don't understand, none of you Jedi do, I had to do this."

"W…" Vidri was left nearly speechless, how could this have happened, "What happened to you, what happened to the selfless guardian of the weak, the man who'd give the shirt off his back…" more tears began to fall and her throat closed up, "the brother that didn't leave my side for the first month at the Temple because he knew how scary it was to be far away from home for the first time." She paused nearly breathless from the pain that was spilling out of her. "Where is he, I just want him back."

"He is still here sister, he stands before you. I've just had my eyes opened. I see the Jedi for the weak superstitious sect they are. So afraid of the dark side, that they shut themselves off from it, blind to the good it can do…"

"Good?!" She snapped, "You think what you're doing is good, have you forgotten everything we learned. The dark side is a quick and easy path, not more powerful."

"Just more lies, lies told because they did not understand the power that could be unlocked."

"You did all of this, spread so much misery for power?" The young woman's heart felt torn the emotion played across her face, she thought he could be redeemed, be pulled back from whatever darkness had poisoned his mind.

Seeing his sister's pain Guerre's posture softened, and his eyes warmed, just a little. "Not power for myself, but to save everyone, I…I can end death," the corners of his mouth turned upward, his voice once so forceful and assured, began to crack under the strain his emotions had put him under. "I can pull a person's essence from the Force itself and return it to their bodies." A weak nervous little laugh left his chest. "Darth Malum has shown me, I can show you too." He extended his empty hand towards her, shaking a little, "Please, once you see you'll understand, you'll understand why…why I did all the things I did."

Vidri closed her eyes, and shook her head, she couldn't listen anymore. Reversing death, it cannot be done, should not be done.

There is no death, there is the Force.

It was a code she lived by, a code the man in front of her once followed. Death was a natural part of life, to reject that, to cross that threshold, was a perversion, as twisted and warped as the things that made up Malum's army. "No, no, I can't, you can't, you can't believe this."

"But, I do, I've seen it with my own eyes, let me show you." He waved his arm and Vidri tensed, fearing an attack. Behind her, two humanoids, faces grey and gaunt, eyes glazed over entered the room. Between them they drug a body dark hair and amber skin, dressed in Jedi robes, stained with blood.

Vidri's stomach turned as the thralls unthinkingly tossed the body at her brother's feet, Acha Min's body. Instantly he fell to his knees crossing his hands over the body's heart and closing his eyes. All around her, Vidri sensed darkness, her skin crawled and her mind screamed that this wasn't right. Faint wisps of shadow licked off Guerre's armor, as beads of sweat dripped down his face. The seconds stretched into minutes, neither knowing how many.

The silence is pierced by a scream, an ear splitting outcry of pure horror. Min's body convulsed, as the shrieking continued, coming from her.

"Stop it," Vidri called out, "Please whatever you are doing stop."

The cries continued reverberating off the walls, crushing the young Knight's mind. She couldn't stand, falling upon her knees covering her ears, begging for it all to stop.

Guerre remained unmoved, not even flinching as the blood curdling yells increased in volume. The sounds of a body breaking itself against the stone floor only added to the sickening cacophony that filled the room.

Untold moments of terror passed, until the dread howls of a body not wanting to have life again stopped.

Cautiously Vidri opened one eye, her former master's body still lay on the floor, in a pool of deep crimson.

Guerre's eyes opened too, glaring at the broken form beneath him. "Rise," he bellowed. Min's body did just so getting to its feet with horrible cracking noises as more bones broke. Vidri did everything she could to prevent herself from retching. The body had an unnatural stance, a pale visage and, cold nearly lifeless eyes.

"See, See," her brother shouted, jumping to his feet, "What was once dead, I've brought back to life." He smiled, as if proud of the facsimile of being he'd brought back.

"No," a small voice eked out as the young woman painfully stood up. She couldn't look at the figures in front of her anymore. "No, no….no,no,no, NO!" She trust her hand forward letting out a burst of Force energy that took the twisted body of her master in the chest, crushing what remained of the rib cage, and sending it crashing into a pillar. More bones shattered, with wet, muffed, snaps and the body crumpled.

"What have you done," Guerre roared, "She was alive, and you killed her."

"No," She said raising her eyes, red from the tears shed, forming rivers of salt that ran down her cheeks, "That was an abomination, a twisted imitation of the woman that taught me everything. What you've done, is pure evil, you forced life back into a body that didn't want it, and worse you made me watch as I destroyed my master."

"You…You've ruined it, I brought her back, there was life in her."

"No she died when those beasts killed her."

The rage returned to her brother as he hissed though his teeth, "Then maybe another demonstration will open your eyes." The two grey beings at his side rushed forward, commanded by their master's force of will. Vidri's blue lightsaber snapped to life, swinging in a broad shaking arc that caught the two, creatures across the waist. The four parts fell to the ground but, the torsos kept moving, innervated by the blackness that surrounded them. With another panicked slash the Jedi severed the heads at the neck, finally stopping their chilling advance.

Without giving her time to breathe Guerre leapt forward, orange blade coming to life as he descended. Their blades met mere centimeters above Vidri's head, the heat washed over her scalp, making her hair stand on end.

"Please, if you are still my brother," She started, more pain cracking her voice, "don't make me do this, don't make me fight you."

"I don't want to hurt you." He replied, tears falling from his eyes, "but, I need to show you. If you won't believe your eyes, then maybe you'll believe your body…" Her blood ran cold, part of her knew what he was going to say next, and it terrified her. "When I bring you back."

"NO," the scream ripped itself for her throat as she pushed him away with a wall of Force. "I will not let myself become an abomination, a creature of the Sith. Please, anything else, anything but…but that."

"Then you are still a little girl" He growled, pointing his blade towards his own blood, "jumping at shadows, still believing in the tales our mother told us."

"No, please don't do this," her words were pleading, begging him to just stop.

"I will make you see." He flew forward, accelerated by the Force.

Vidri screwed her eyes shut moving her blade across her body, hoping to ward off the blow. As it made contact, her blade stopped, a heated edge cut across her left arm, and she heard a groan. Opening her eyes once more she saw her weapon, buried to the hilt into her brother's chest.

He sucked in a few anguished breaths at her shoulder. Both sabers retracted as brother and sister crumbled to the ground. Unending sobs left her chest as she cradled his body.

"Vidi," her brother's weak voice called. The cold edge had left it. Subtle warmth now infused his words. She looked down tears falling on to the hard black armor. "I never meant for this to happen…" he took in another pained breath, his body slipping closer and closer to its end."I…I tried to turn the power to something good…"

"Save your strength, please." She begged again.

"By the time…time I realized it couldn't be done…I…I'd gone too far…I,"

"I forgive you," more fearful words, dripping with regret leave her heaving chest, "I forgive you just please stay alive."

A weak hand reached up and brushed her cheek, "I…I can't be forgiven not…not after what I've done."

"No…no I forgive you."

"I'm sorry Vidi I wish…I wish I could take it all back…I…I always…"

"No, no no no,"

"…always loved you." That last declaration from his lips, his eyes rolled back in his head and the life left his body. In that last moment, she felt something change in the Force, for just an instant she felt the light, however dim return to him, then be taken away.

Her torn and bleeding heart was now broken. Her sobs stop, her mind too shattered to even form thoughts, or speak words. She held her brother's body close rocking back and forth.

She didn't even notice the Republic soldiers bursting into the room.

"Target down, I repeat target down." One of them called out moving forward kicking the lightsabers away. He dropped to a knee placing a hand of Vidri's shoulder, "Mam', Mam' are you ok?" The words and hand go unnoticed, unable to penetrate the wall on pain that now surrounded her mind. "Medic!"

Vidri's eyes snap open, taking short sharp breaths. She wasn't in the fortress anymore, she hadn't been there for months. Her short hair had grown out thin, stringy and matted against the hospital bed, her once athletic frame had atrophied to it's now gaunt form. She tried to speak but, couldn't, there were no words for what she was going through. She killed her own blood, an unforgiveable act. She'd felt it, he was still good, she could have saved him.

Strong arms wrapped around her shoulders, she did not move, barely even registered the words the man spoke.

"It's ok Vidri, It's ok, daddy's here." The words creaked from the man's throat, a proud and strong man brought low by the suffering of his children.

Findswoman and Raissa Baiard like this.
  7. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Glad to see another story in this series! Familial conflict and Dark Side zombies...:eek: Powerful stuff!

Guerre certainly has something of his father in him, doesn't he? Both of them are certain that they know how to make the galaxy perfect and are willing to do whatever it takes to implement their plans. The General's ends and his means are less horrifying than Guerre's; hopefully he will not become as consumed as his son in pursuing what he sees as the path to perfection.

Findswoman noted the parallels between Tig and Chancellor Valorum, and here I see shades of Palpatine and Anakin in Guerre and Vidri. Like Palpatine, Guerre holds out the promise of a better galaxy and peace, and like Palpy and his master Darth Plagueis, he's been playing around with the stuff of life, using the Force in ways it shouldn't. Vidri rightfully recoils against her brother's plan; even Acha Min's lifeless body fights against his unnatural use of the Force. The scene where Guerre brings her spirit back is perfectly creepy; I think the way Vidi only hears what is happening heightens the tension and increases the creepy-factor more than actually depicting it could.
    This is just :eek: and when Guerre threatens to do the same to her…double :eek:

I love when authors give their characters meaningful names (like Guerre :) ), so I have to ask if Vidri's nickname "Vidi" comes from Caesar's famous, "Veni, vidi, vici"? If so, I think it's telling that her name comes from "I saw" rather than "I conquered." She can't stop seeing what happened, and though she defeated her brother, she still has inner demons to conquer. Poor Vidri, she has a long fight against her survivor's guilt before she can forgive herself and recognize that even if she couldn't physically save him, he returned to the Light Side before dying.

I love this line; it's so simple and yet shows so beautifully that there's a real human being and a loving father beneath General Lionus's stern and ambitious exterior.

Once again, great story with memorable characters! =D=

8. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Raissa Baiard Thank you very much for your kind words.

As I was writing this I did see the parallels between Palpatine and Plagueis in what they planned to do.

On the subject of names, I did pick meaningful names, from Spanish, Hierro means iron reflecting his inflexible manner, and Vidri comes from Vidrio, meaning glass, she's been broken by this event, and of course Guerre comes from the word for War.

Since Spanish is based on Latin I can see where you'd pick up on the Cesar quote, sadly I'm not that clever. Vidi just seemed to be the best way to shorten her name, and show that in his last moments Guerre had changed back to the man he used to be.

9. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Thanks for sharing the meaning behind Vidri's name. I figured if one sibling had a meaningful name, the other would, too, but I guess I was overthinking things a bit :D Sadly, my one year of Spanish in high school was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. I remember more of the French I took in college, so I was able to pick up on Guerre.

Hidden meanings in names are part of the fun of Star Wars to me, so I think it's cool that you include this element in your stories. :)

10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Read the first version.

Mm, not bad.

That Lionus - when he roared, that was a bit too on the nose, I think - seems a dangerous combination, angry with grief while a Force Sensetive; he could have done with the Jedi teachings on attachments, but then again, the jedi we have seen onscreen have never done anything about slavery, so the "uphold justice" tag doesn't work either.

Very well written, good pace and description, particularly during the exchange between Tig and Lionus, though descriptions of what both look like would have helped with visualisations.

There was a lot of micro stuff, hand gestures, sitting back and fourth, eye movement; but nothing big picture. No idea if there was any colour, or how either look, although I gather that Tig has a snout.

My own grasp of logic had a problem with this....actually, doing a fingertip search through the text to find it again, and I stand corrected on the colours, I see Tig has amber eyes and golden fur on her head. Did the clothing have any colours; overall seemed a fairly sombre environment.

Looks like I'll have to skim from the beginning...oh, here we go: Tig's head lowered her eyes glaring up at the man.

How did she lower them and glare up at him at the same time? Was the desk reflective?

I did like the paragraph with Lionus' demonstration of his flimsi catching skillz, though the typo undermines it slightly; I assume he needed to pull on the thread that connected him to it, rather than the tread.

Very good write up and display of emotions for one who has suffered through the conflict, and feels the protestor's pain.

For all that I side with Tig, and find her a good politician, can't help wondering where the heck she was during all the conflict, as she doesn't seem negatively affected by the war in the slightest!
    Is her race known for being stoic?

Overall, as I said, a good piece. 8/10. Let me know if you want to know where the typos are, though you might want to revisit the Genre five lines down from the top. Unless "Arugment" is a thing.

WELL DONE! :)

11. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    It is called the Kubrick Stare, where a character tilts their head down but, raises their eyes look from under their brow.

Nalroni are known more for being merchants and sometimes smugglers. Tig is just a politician trying to bring order to a chaotic situation, and also trying to be a professional. The people need a even leader, not one that breaks down. Though the situation has pushed her to her limits.

Thank you for your offer. I might revisit later, as to Genre, it's not really a political thriller since it's just two people talking at each other, and a single scene. 'Political Argument' seemed like the best fit for what I was writing. It short and to the point. This is not an action heavy scene, it's two beings arguing over politics, not a shoot out or a high stakes investigation, tells the reader up front precisely what they are reading.

12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Oh. You'll be wanting to add a comma then, to separate the movement of the head, from the action of the eyes: Tig's head lowered, her eyes glaring up at the man.

I was not questioning "Political Argument" as a genre category, just pointing out the potential mis-spell.

I did not detect any sign that she was pushed to her limits. She was very reasonable with countering Lionus' arguments. Totally understood the will of the people, and the future ramifications of any decision she might make to curtail the jedi, but it felt like she had come in from a neutral planet, or a some safe location where the war had not touched her. Maybe that is precisely because the Nalroni no longer have a homeworld, they were insulated from a galactic conflict. If that is the case, and why you selected her race, maybe that could be mentioned in the story. Otherwise it just feels odd in a background kind of way.

13. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    It's the last line that shows that, I didn't want to come out and say it, she was doing her best to keep her composer and keep her job, you'll notice the panic in her when Lionus threatens the No-confidence vote. She feels that she is the best person to steer this ship.

She also knows that emotion and anger is not the way out, as evidenced by her, "are you sure this is not coming from a place of emotion" line to the General.

14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    But, because the line comes after the General turning the screws, plus, what I began to suspect was him doing a Jedi Mind Trick or something, it felt like it was him pushing her emotionally, rather than the war having done anything.

And, I'm going to send a PM.

15. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    Just the same sort of reason led me to search this story out.

16. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    I started reading the first posting and at first your pacing and sentence structure as you set the scene was very hard to get into, not that it is bad but that is not a style I am familiar with enough to have it just flow, I think once you hit your dialogue and the exchange between the General and the Chancellor I was really in the story and like all good writing it generated several plot bunnies for me. The idea of taking force sensitives and steeping them in military style training while instill honor and duty all the while dismantling the jedi way of life seems very 3 musketeers in a way. I can see groups of jedi hiding and training those adepts who feel the Republic gaining too much power. As I said you have really captured an interesting story idea and I can't wait to continue reading to see how you develop it. I think your scene really had the elements that let you feel the anger and frustration the General feels while capturing a weary Chancellor and her fears for what he is proposing. Great read.

17. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Just read the second chapter. Now I know the harrowing experience with his children to which Lionus is referring in the first installment, and it does help show a bit where he's coming from (even if he's potentially taking it to sneaker and more manipulative lengths than necessary). Having to confront her own brother that way, having to fight him, having even to kill him almost without knowing she's doing so... I didn't envy the chancellor in chapter 1, and I sure don't envy Vidri here! But she's got a lot of inner strength, and she is a good example of a character who is good- and tender-hearted but by no means a weakling (and who EVER said those things had to be mutually exclusive, anyway?). The thing is, it's also her good-hearted nature that will cause these these events to scar her so much in the future--double-edged sword (light saber?) there.

And I too have been enjoying the meanings behind the names you've chosen—they do fit very well. I like that sort of thing. :)

18. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Title: No more Jedi: The Many and the Few
    Genre: Discussion
    Rating: G
    Summary: How does the galaxy change when an ancient intuition is replaced, when do the needs of a billions over power the rights of millions, what makes a person willingly sacrifice and, what if someone doesn't want to be put upon the pyre?

Author's Note: Here's part three of No More Jedi,I feel this one is the weakest of the bunch but, as always constructive feedback is encouraged.
    No More Jedi: The Many and the Few
    In a booth two beings sat down, both wore a blue tunic paired with white slacks and gloves. A line of white ran down the center of their chests ending at a maroon sash wrapped around their waists. One, a rather stout looking sullustain set a white hat in front of him on the standard off-white table bolted into the floor. The artificial light that hung down from the ceiling glinted off a pin on his collar, a pin in the shape of a triangular shield with a star placed on the face of it. He sat straight up with perfect posture, when he cast an eye around the room his head moved with precision.

"Checking the exits Tyaag?" his pantoran companion asked. She leaned back against the somewhat plush bench seat that had seen better days, plucking open her tunic revealing a white shirt underneath. She seemed to actively fight against sitting in the same rigid position of the being sat across from her. Slumping her rather thin shoulders and slouching in her seat. She rolled her head taking in the grey metal walls accented with red and white. The patches of blue skin that were visible were covered in black and red tattoos. Her already colorful purple hair was made even more so by the streaks of fiery red and yellow that dyed it. A gold pin dangled from her stiff collar, a broken cross of a medic and the medical profession. Her fingers dexterously flipped a credit back a forth along the back of her knuckles.

"Just seeing if Askopos and Naiv made it back yet Fenu." Tyaag answered bringing his focus back to the woman in front of him.

"Probably still saying goodbye to their 'Rents." Fenu added with a little huff. "And that speaker droning on for hours didn't help things either."

"He wasn't just any speaker," the sullustain corrected, "That was General Hierro Lionus, the man that ended Darth Malum's War, and championed the Republic School for Force Sensitives."

A slight sarcastic grin formed on Fenu's face, "You're really starting to change my opinion of the guy."

"Without him, we'd be dealing with whatever galaxy Malum and Caligo were trying to bring about."

"Without him, I wouldn't be suffering though endless ethics classes and being forced to give my life away just because I was born different."

"We all must sacrifice, for a better galaxy."

Fenu rolled her eyes slightly, "Only I didn't get to say whether or not I wanted to sacrifice, I was just sacrificed."

Tyaag shook his head, "Everyone has to go through this, every citizen has to go through military training."

The index finger of her free hand flicked between them "Except we're different," the same finger now pointed out the window, red neon sign hanging in it, "They, don't have their whole lives dictated to them when they start their training."

"Non-Force Sensitives are placed into roles that they are best suited towards. Just like us, there is no difference."

Another eye roll, "Keep believing that if you want but, deep down you know we'll never be out from the Republic's thumb."

"And I'm ok with that." The broad shouldered being nodded his head firmly

Fenu stopped fidgeting with the coin, choosing instead to grip it fiercely in her hand. "What?" Her brow lowered in shock and a little disgust. "You can't mean that."

"I absolutely do," His voice was even, without a hint of emotion, "we are a danger on our own, with the wrong training, the wrong motivations, we can destroy the galaxy." He gestured with an open hand towards the same window, "You were listening during history class, the Jedi brought nothing but, pain and darkness with them."

"Just because a few Force Sensitives went a little power mad all of us should be punished?"

"Just a few? Every generation suffers through a Jedi falling, and every time the galaxy pays the price. The cycle had to end."

"Not all Jedi turned evil."

"Not all but, there was a noticeable pattern. The Sith grew out of the Jedi in the first place."

"That was back when they were still called Je’daii, not Jedi."

"But, both do share the same origin. One cannot exist without the other. The Jedi had to be removed so the Sith could finally be destroyed."

"But to take it this far, to force all of us to serve the Republic whether we want to or not isn't right."

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

"At which point do the needs of the many outweigh the rights of the few."

"You'd rather people like us just wander free?"

"Of course, we have a basic sentient right to be free."

"And what happens when someone uses their force sensitivity to do great harm."

"They'll have no training, that can't do that much harm." She shook her head dismissively.

"Do you think the Jedi just formed out of thin air? No, it all starts with one being realizing they have power, and without proper training, or ethics that one being could do far more destruction than you realize, especially if there was no one prepared to stop them."

"That's assuming that we wouldn't try and stop them with our own power used against them."

"Then the cycle starts again. The next generation will have to deal with darkness rising and, another war between the light and the dark. This is the only way it ends."

"It doesn't make it right, taking away our rights, our choice, just to prevent a war that will happen anyways."

"You want to talk about losing rights and choice?" Tyaag's voice rose ever so slightly, "What about the billions of civilians that died in Malum's War? Or in the Second Galactic Civil War, or in the Clone Wars?"

"I didn't…" She tried to explain but, the Sulustain wasn't stopping.

"Those beings never asked for the war to come to them, never chose to fight. Yet they were killed either by one side or the other."

"Tyaag I understand but…"

"No you don't, you haven't seen what I have. You were safe on Carratos, Malum's armies never reached you. I was there when Darth Caligo marched his forces onto Sullust. They destroyed our homes, collapsed our tunnels, and tore our shipyard from the sky." With each point the young man's voice continued to rise, "I lost friends, family, I watched as people were slaughtered left and right by a soulless army led by an evil man. I don't want to see that happen again, the whole galaxy is tired of the constant wars, wars that have taken trillions of lives. So if millions have to give up their rights to save billions, I will happily make that sacrifice."

"Tyaag, I can't change what happened to you but, this is no better than the Empire, finding us and turning us to their own ends." Her voice rose to match his during his tirade, "Can't you see that, we are tools. Instruments to keep the people placated. They wanted the Jedi gone and they got that, they wanted us controlled and they got that. Now we are trained and forced to serve just for our blood. We are born into slavery, and our children will be slaves, is this not sinking in for you?"

"This is not slavery, it's mandatory service, after our three years, we have the option of continuing. This is just getting us started right, with loyalty to the Republic first, everything else second."

"It's indoctrination then, yeah that's much better."

"And the Jedi weren't indoctrinating beings? We are influenced constantly, from our cultures, to our entertainment, to even the advertising that we see. All of it is intended to push us one way or another. At least the school prevents another terrible war."

"It is far too soon to say that, beings are still beings, greedy, shortsighted, and stupid. There will be another war, and I have a feeling the next one will be worse, the army will be larger, and the Force will be weaponized to a degree I don't think anyone would have thought possible."

Before Tyaag could respond a human male, tall with close cut brown hair tapped on the table. "Ding Ding," he said smiling a little. The man wasn't too broad but, there was a subtle weight to his frame. "Round's over guys, back to your corners." The bulky sullustain moved to get up, the human flopped down next to him, wearing the same uniform as the others at the table. A very similar shield pin clung to his loosened collar, instead of a star, two blaster rifles were crossed in front of the barrier. "Where do you think you're going?"

"I've lost my appetite Naiv."

"Well," Naiv replied with a broad smile, not moving from his seat, "too bad 'cause I'm famished." The human gave a thumbs up to the cook and the waitress that were giving rather stern looks to the table.

Fenu tried to slide out of her bench seat but, found her way blocked by a zelosian with somewhat combed hair green hair, though a few locks stuck out in places. "Out of my way Askopos."

Askopos just shrugged his shoulders, "you can go over me." His voice was calm, almost apathetic. A broad tree leaf, stem pointed up, was pinned to the still closed collar of his tunic.

The pantoran growled a little, scowling. "Maybe later." The table is quiet as Naiv flagged down the waitress. He happily ordered a full meal, while Askopos merely ordered a dessert. The other two remained silent.

"Askopos," Naiv started a little concerned, "You sure that's a good idea, I mean you don't have the best tolerance for sugar."

"It's my last night here, I get to live a little. After this, I'm heading out to Agamar, hands on training on one of the galaxies biggest farms."

"Heh," Naiv chuckled, "You lucked out, I'm shipping out to Sirpar heavy gravity and an intense sun I'm going to be blind and fatigued the whole time."

"You should have taken Officer track then," Tyaag grumbled, with a bit of humor, "Then you can freeze on Raithal with me."

"Ahhh…" The human waved his hand, "That is for lifers, like you and our trainers."

Fenu rolled her eyes again, "How can you be so calm about this, we're being sent hither and yon, far away from everyone we know."

The smile faded from Naiv's face, "Look the galaxy is a big place but, with hyperspace, it's a lot smaller."

"Not small enough, not when I'm being packed away to the back end of the galaxy, to Bakura. It's on the near complete opposite side of the galaxy from where I grew up, where all my friends are."

"I thought we were your friends." Askopos said a little pain in his voice.

"Come on, I don't mean it like that, I'm going to be far away from you guys as well it's just…" she struggled to find the words, "I've been separated from my home for so long, I just want to go back there."

"I'm sure you will," Naiv jumped in grin returning to his face. "It's not like they can stop you from seeing your family."

"I wouldn't be so sure." She snapped, yellow eyes boring into the human.

"Look even if they keep you so busy you don't have the time, it's only three years, after that, you can do whatever you want." Again he chuckles, "Within reason of course."

"What makes you think they'll let us go after three years, we're too valuable, too dangerous to be let go so easily."

Once again the smile disappears off Naiv's face, "My dad looked at the act, read every last word and punctuation. There is nothing in there that states the Republic can force us to serve past the mandatory period. After that it becomes our choice, whether to stay or go." His face beams once more, "That's why I didn't choose to be an officer, I don't plan on serving more than my three. After that, I don't know, maybe open up a restaurant, or study law. Either way, after three years, we're home free."

Fenu wore a face of disgust, "I can't be the only one that sees this as a bad thing," she turned to the man next to her, "Come on Askopos, a chandrilian like you has to hate this."

The green haired being nodded his head, "You're right, my family hates this, and has protested against the law since its inception." Fenu smiled a little in victory. "But," the success was swiftly taken away from her, "I don't think of what I would become without this school."

"How can you say that?" Fenu said, confusion in her voice,

"Look you guys didn't know me when I was younger, I was lazy, with no real goal in life. I just wasn't motivated to do anything. I slacked off in school, slacked off at home and just did nothing all day. Then I came here. I found I couldn't slack off anymore, I had to work. I had people all over me driving me to put my all into everything I did. This place taught me discipline, and finally gave me motivation to actually do something with my life."

"But, you should have had that choice," The pantoran jumped in again trying to find another ally, "if you want to do nothing that's your right, there are billions, trillions of people that do nothing important with their lives. No one is forcing them to do anything different."

"It's not like I agree completely with the system, I don't…it's just…without it, I would be wasting my time, doing nothing. Now I'm going to help feed the galaxy, what could be better?"

"I can't believe you guys," Fenu shook her head, hanging it low. "You know this is wrong, you should be as mad as I am that this is happening to us. Yet you have nothing but kindness."

"Will getting mad really help the situation?" Askopos inquires, voice still low, still lacking in emotion.

"It won't be that bad," Naiv replied, "It's just three years, everything will be fine."

"Needs of the many," Tyaag reminded her.

She shook her head again, "As one of the few, I say no, they don't get to strip me of my rights, and the rights of those like me. It wrong, on a fundamental level. I just don't understand why you all don't see it that way."

"We're all different Fenu," Naiv stepped in trying to calm his friend. "We've all been though different things and our view is colored by those experiences."

"This isn't a 'certain point of view' sort of thing, this is about us being treated as second class, as dangers that need to be controlled."

Askopos hung his head, "I know, we're all being thrown into a very small box but, don't the people have a right to be just a little afraid of us. I mean, I'm just an agriculturist but, with what I know, I could do a lot, to help or to harm. So I think we need the training, and we need some way of handling those of us that seek to harm others. Do we all have to serve…that I'm less sure of."

"We're just the first class." Naiv did his best to sound reassuring, "Changes will be made but, I honestly don't think it'll be that bad."

"Besides," Tyaag added, "It's not like you can change anything right now, you'll just have to get through it."

"Thanks for the encouragement."

"Hey," Askopos nudged her with his elbow, "I'm here, if you want to start some kind of change, you have my support." He looked down a little pensive, "It may have helped me but, that doesn't mean I think it's good for everyone."

"I'll have to wait a few years," Naiv remarked, smiling once again, "but, once my three is done, I'll see what I can do."

All eyes shift to the sullustain his dark eyes darting between them all. "I wish you all the best of luck but, I personally see nothing wrong with this system. We are the few," he nodded his head towards the wide window to the left of him, "they are the many. Sacrifices must be made."

The food arrived and Naiv dug in, Askopos savored every bite of his sugary dessert. Fenu and Tyaag both stared out the window, into the darkened city and the school beyond. Both so sure of what they wanted to do but, still unsure if they could do it.

The galaxy had changed, and what they decided could change it once again. Time would tell if it was for the better or worse. For now, things were peaceful, things were quiet, for just this moment, they could just enjoy the stillness, however long that lasted.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    This seems to be an interesting fanfic will it be continued?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  20. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I don't envy Chancellor Tig. She's between a rock and a hard place. :( I feel sorry for Lionus that he's essentially lost both of his children in one way or another. But his plan for the Force-sensitives is a little bent, I think. It makes an odd sort of sense when you view it in emotional terms, as Lionus is, but practically, I think the galaxy would still have the same problems with Force-users whether they were labeled Jedi or Sith.

Nice work so far. =D= I enjoyed it. Will you be continuing?

21. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Darth Invictus JediMaster_Jen: To answer your question, most likely no, the main reason is time, I don't have time to update this fic regularly.

There's a lot more I could say but, I'd like to keep things as positive as I can.

Sinrebirth and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  22. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Title: No More Jedi: Three Years…One Month
    Genre: Argument
    Summary: Should security of all out weigh liberty of a few, is that a sufficient justification for breaking a promise, a contract? How should one react, should they meekly accept, or rail against the shattered word given to them?

Author's Note: Here's part four now we see how the galaxy really works now that the Jedi are gone. As always constructive feedback is encouraged.
    No More Jedi: Three Years…One Month​

Corporal Naiv Kandar, Force Sensitive, graduate of the Republic School for Force Sensitives, stood outside his Colonel's office, in front of the secretary's desk. His uniform was pressed his posture perfect, looking like a recruitment poster, if those still existed. His mandatory enlistment was over, one month ago, yet he hadn't received his discharge paperwork.

The first week, he passed it off as a standard clerical slowness. The second week, he thought it was just sitting in some secretaries inbox. The third week, he assumed that it was just taking it's time moving down the chain of command. The forth week, he'd had enough. He contacted his superior and arranged a meeting. He wanted some answers.

The bothan major that acted as the Colonel's assistant rapped lightly on the metal door, he might have been annoyed but, it was no reason to break military decorum.

"Enter," the stern voice of Colonel Huo sounded through the door.

Following orders Kandar entered and saluted, "Corporal Naiv Kandar reporting." The older female pantoran looked up at him with her yellow eyes. Her purple hair was cut short in a style that was standard for males in the military, her face as solid as stone. Even sitting, the light glinting off her rank insignia, she exuded power, this was her domain.

"At ease," As his years of training dictated, Kandar relaxed into a parade rest stance. "Please sit." She instructed again.

"Yes mam." He replied taking a seat in the simple chair on the other side from the woman nearly twenty years older than him. Her desk was equally plain much like the office that surrounded her. Only bits of flimsi decorated the grey durasteel walls. This was common, most forward operating bases didn't have many comforts, or allowance for personalization. Not that Colonel Huo would use those allowances. Stern and straightlaced that was Colonel Huo, also prone to speaking directly, not dancing around an issue.

"Your message said you wanted to talk to me about something." She said her attention focused on solely him, and not the many papers littering her desk.

"Well first I'd like to thank you for allowing me to meet with you." The corporal said with a nod of his head. Never in a million years did he think she would accept his request, he was expecting a harsh telling off and a long lecture on respecting the chain of command. However his father taught him that if you wanted something done, start at the top, work your way down.

"Of course your service record is impeccable," Her tone was even, professional, just a little cold. She wasn't praising him, merely stating facts, "and your superiors speak highly of you aptitude. I've been meaning to meet with you but, with my busy schedule, I never had the time to set one up myself."

"Well, that's what I've come to talk to you about." The young man broke her gaze, feeling butterflies well up in his stomach. Her eyes seemed to pierce him, searching for his true intentions.

"Your service record, what about it." her brow lowered slightly, though Naiv's eyes didn't see it, too enamored with his boots, shined to perfection.

"Um…well…it's just that…"

"Corporal, out with it,"

"Um…yes sorry mam," years, of military training plus more in the service and he froze like a fresh recruit in their first mock combat. "It's just that," he started regaining control, "I have yet to receive my discharge orders." He looked up finally, her face hadn't changed. Her piercing gaze still bored into him.

"Discharge orders?" Huo asked.

"Yes mam, I've served my three, as per the Enlistment Agreement. I should have gotten my orders four weeks ago."

"There's been a change." She replied curtly and with little hesitation.

A look of confusion washed over the young soldier's face, he didn't understand, "Excuse me mam but, what kind of change."

"I gather you haven't heard…"

Naiv leaned forward his face still twisted in bewilderment, "No I haven't, what should I have heard?"

"It seems that more than half of the current enlisted troops have chosen not to re-enlist."

"Yes, as is their right, it is in the contract each one of us signed."

"It puts command in a difficult situation. We need experienced enlisted beings to keep the newest recruits and officers well trained. More than any other group the enlisted, particularly experienced enlisted beings, keep this military going. Train both officers and fresh troopers, keep discipline at its best."

"It’s the weight we carry, however my service, and the service of millions of others are at an end. While I feel for your situation, if you'll pardon me mam, it is no longer my problem."

"Corporal please, listen, due to these occurrences, high command as ordered that all experienced NCOs with good records are to be held over…on a temporary basis."

"On what grounds?" In a fit of anger the younger being rose to his feet.

"Sit down Corporal."

"Mam, please on what grounds are they doing this."

"On the grounds that without beings like you with military will lack in manpower and experience when we need it most. We are stretched thin keeping this uneasy peace. Flare ups are happening constantly. It seems every day there are new reports of…Force Terrorists," she stopped herself from saying the old term…Sith. Ever since Darth Malum's war, the terms Jedi and Sith were done away with, relics of the past. Now all that remained were Force Sensitives and Force Terrorists.

"I understand but, we made an agreement, the Republic and I, I give three years of service, and after that, I'm free." He tapped on the desk still refusing to sit.

"Yes, that is true, until an emergency act of the Senate gave leniency to commanders to hold over any personnel that are deemed necessary to keep the military in top form." Naiv couldn't believe this, how could a government break it's word like that, how could the members of the Senate allow this to happen. The military be damned he signed a contract, it's supposed to be binding, on both parties. "No one wants one of these terrorist attacks spiraling into another war. The only way to keep the fires down is to stamp them out, swiftly and with a heavy boot." Despite her subordinate's rising anger her tone hadn't changed, still cold, still stating facts.

"So that's the reason, you're sacrificing our liberty for your security. Don't we soldiers get a say?"

"Corporal, in war sacrifices must be made…"

"No…" he said firmly, he would not give ground to this…injustice, "I've already made my sacrifices. I gave the Republic three years, plus more in training. I'm done.

"We're now asking for more, I can understand how you feel…"

"No you can't!" His anger had reached a boiling point, now he was shouting in the face of his battalion commander. "You were what, already in the service when the Force Sensitives Act was passed? You weren't subjected to year after year of military routine, of being forced from home and family and only seeing them a few days a year. And all on the promise that you would be free after your term was up." All thoughts of following decorum had gone out the airlock now. Only the rage that had been simmering for far longer than the young man had realized came out. "Besides, you're not a force sensitive, you couldn't possibly understand what it's like to live like you’re a second class citizen, like you're a danger to the galaxy."

"Do not presume to know who I am Corporal." For the first time, her voice deepened, her eyes twitched with visible anger, "Do not think that your experiences are worse than what I've been through. I've made my sacrifices, more than you will ever make. And I did it all to keep the galaxy, my home, safe. Now you and many more must do the same."

"You had a choice, I never did…just because of my blood I was put here, I never once made a decision that was my own. Ever since I was a child everything was decided for me, every step dictated. I had no freedom, no liberty to be anything else except what my tests said I was best suited for. I've given up most of my life to this, to the Republic. It's about damn time they give it back to me."

"Many have given their lives to the Republic," Colonel Huo snapped, her voice rising to match Naiv's. "Your situation does not make you special. The days of the Jedi being above us lowly mundanes are over. You are just like us now, you will receive no special treatment." Now it was her turn to stand, unable to hold in her anger either.

She stood eye to eye with the young man, her fire matching his. She was a Colonel, a veteran of nearing twenty years. This man had less than a quarter of her experience, who was he to tell her how to do her job.

"I'm not asking for special treatment, I'm asking for what was promised me. I'm asking you to live up to your side of the bargain we made."

"I am under no obligations to listen to the requests of a subordinate. The orders are clear, you are to remain." She paused flame roaring in her eyes. "If you think you can just tarnish you record think of how a dishonorable discharge will look, particularly for someone in your situation." Her tone calmed a little, the fiery anger replace with cold order.

"Are you threatening me Colonel?"

"No, I'm asking you to think of the consequences of your actions. Much like yelling at a superior officer. I could have you sent to the stockade, and maybe I should but…" she took a breath, sitting back down, reasserting her power over the situation. "I will overlook this, write it off as an one time out bust of an overstressed NCO."

The door opened and the Colonel's bothan secretary stood in the doorway a broad shouldered locan MP stood behind him.

"Is there a problem mam?" The secretary asked.

"No problem, the Corporal was just leaving." The icy tone on the last word told him it was an order, not a request.

With anger in his chest Corporal Naiv Kandar saluted and marched out the door, with all the precision his years of training had engrained into him.

This wasn't over, he'd fight this, with every weapon he had.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  23. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Title: No More Jedi: Stigma
    Genre: Action/Angst
    Summary: If you had the power to save a life would you do it? What if that power made you a pariah? Would you still?

Author's Note: Here's part five showing another way the galaxy has changed. As always constructive feedback is encouraged.

No more Jedi: Stigma​

Berchest, a planet of crystal, it's gleaming towers carved of salt deposits rose high into the sky a sight to behold, once. Now they were nothing more than piles of rubble, shook to their very foundations by a groundquake. This place was once a tourist attraction, now it only seemed to attract aid workers. Among this group Fenu Cho, a force sensitive that should have been on her way back home after three years of service but, fate intervened.

It had been four weeks and the rescue operations were still ongoing all across the city. She was swamped every day with patients coming in and out of the clinic setup on the edge of the ruined city of Calius saj Leeloo. Day in day out she saw it all, grievous wounds, sepsis, even diseases that could have been prevented with clean drinking water, something that was now in short supply. Though the hours were long, the work hard, it beat being stuck inside the hospital back on Bakura, or at the Academy.

"We got another one." a voice from outside the prefabricated structure called. The pantoran’s head of bright red hair snapped up, her black and red tattoos that crawled up her neck peeking out from underneath her medical smock. Four beings brought in a litter a sreaming Berchestian upon it, his leg bloodied and turned at an unnatural angle. His tattooed forehead was furrowed in obvious pain, his clothes looked like those of the local rescue squad. Fenu rushed over tasting the sour flavor of pain.

"Where was he found?" she asked of the crew bringing in the stretcher, doing her best to hold off the puckering of her face as the feeling of pain washed over her.

"In the city, the building he was in became unstable and collapsed." The rescue team set the litter down on one of the few empty beds.

She looked him over while putting on medical gloves, she could see more than just the broken leg. Her ability to touch the Force let her perceive more than just what was on the surface. He had broken ribs and internal bleeding. She could see the distortions in the force around him. He needed bacta now.

"Sir, sir." she asked trying to get the injured beings attention. "Are you allergic to bacta?"

There was too much pain for him to respond.

Fenu took a breath resting her fingertips on his forehead. She reached out to touch his mind not to probe it for the answers she sought but, to clear it of pain. With just a thought she pushed the pain from his mind. However it was a two way connection. She could feel his pain it was overwhelming like biting into a citrus fruit but, only for a moment. With another breath the anguish left her body.

With her patient calmed she asked again.

"Are you allergic to Bacta?”

He looked up at her half confused, half relieved, wondering where his pain went and why it wasn’t continuing.

"No...no." he replied.

"Alright ready a bacta tank." she called out. Before the patient could take a dip, he needed to have his leg set. "Ok, we’ll need to set this so it heals right." Fenu moved to the injured limb. She had a few moments left of the pain block she’d set in his mind, setting bone shouldn’t be too difficult.

She rested her hands on his ankle and foot. She again reached out with the Force feeling each broken bone and ruptured organ. Feeling the threads that extended from each fracture she rested her mental fingers on each one.

"One, two, three." she counted out before twisting the bone back into place with a wet pop. Under that noise and movement no one else noticed the setting of the broken ribs, and staunching of some of the internal bleeding.

"Thank you...thank you." the Berchestian said as he was taken away to the bacta tanks. A slight smile graced Fenu’s features, despite her many issues with the Force Sensitives Act, she couldn’t deny the feeling she got from helping others.

Walking out of the bacta room the doctor took a seat, letting out another breath. It would be an hour at least before the man was ready to be released from the tank, another day at least before he was ready to get back out into the field.

She took another breath leaning back in a flimsy chair, just waiting for the next emergency the next wounded being to be rushed through the door. Fenu enjoyed the constant work, the excitement that came from each and every patient she looked over. So much better than her ethics classes back at the Academy.

A slight tremble shook her feet, an aftershock this long after the initial quake? No but, she could feel it anguish, despair like salt on her tongue. Without waiting for reports to come in Fenu rose sntaching up a medical backpack and ditching her medical smock.

Rushing through the streets she followed her sense of sorrow coming to a partially collapsed building. It must have been unstable and fallen, then why was she still feeling…

"Fingal!" a female voice called out to the rubble. The woman looked to see Fenu with her Republic Aid Corps patch on her shoulder. "Please, Please my son he’s trapped inside." she pleaded.

Fenu looked to the rubble seeing a large pillar of salt toppled sideways on a mound of larger rocks. She made her way towards fallen pillar hearing a faint young voice from the other side. Putting her hands on the pillar she closed her eyes trying to sense with the Force. The space the boy found himself in was small but, held up by a chance organization of rocks not the pillar blocking the exit. However he didn’t have enough air to last until a work crew got here.

The doctor knew what she had to do to save this life.

She took a few steps back and inhaled deeply.

It was just like in training back at the Academy. Reach out with the Force, feel the threads that bind it to the ground, then lift. Do not worry about the size, do not worry about the weight, all are equal with the Force.

She reached out with her hands feeling them take hold of the invisible threads all around the fallen structure. The world around her faded away all that remained was the pillar and the boy trapped on the other side. With another breath she tightened her grip on the threads lifting them up. As she did the pillar, an object which would take hours to lift with a crane, shifted and began to levitate, as if born on ethereal stands. The crowd that had gathered around her had gone silent seeing this display of power.

Once an opening was made she called out to the boy.

"Go now." Without arguing the adolescent scurried out running to embrace his mother.

Sweat was pouring down her face her body straining with the amount of Force she was channeling through herself as she gently lowered the pillar back into place. She turned around breathless and drained to see the group that had appeared to witness her act.

The crowd looked away backing up from her. She could sense their fear, it was palpable to her. It tasted like bitter bile in the back of her throat. Her gaze fell on the mother and son united by her. The mother was glaring at Fenu, arms wrapped tightly around her son ushering him away, the same fear in her eyes.

The pain of sadness, of loneliness hit the doctor’s heart. She had saved a life yet everyone around her treated her like some sort of monster.

She covered her pain with anger, sneering at them wanting so much to scream at them, to give them something to fear. But, she knew deep down that wouldn’t change anything, it would only make things worse.

Even after a decade, the scars of Darth Malum’s War remained. Force Sensitives were still to be feared, harbingers of death, or war and conflict. It didn’t help that they were separated out, sent to a special school, made to wear special patches that identified them, at every step they were made to stand out. Not for any lofty reasons but, so that the populous knew that a dangerous person walked among them.

Fenu hung her head hiding the tears that so desperately wanted to fall. Marching her way through the crowd they gave her a wide berth, still afraid of what she could do to them.

Never before had Fenu felt so alone in the middle of a crowd.

Sinrebirth and BookExogorth like this.
  24. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    Wow.
    This is pretty crazy. I didn't read the second part, though I will later, but wow. I think you've presented an interesting galaxy. On the first one, 'twas chilling to think of them literally using the force. Nothing more, nothing less. I can't believe that enough people would think of jedi in that way.

Good terminology. Also interesting how more than half of the recruits did not renew their commission, implying that without the aspect of the force and duty to it that the jedi taught, they wouldn't really have the purpose needed to lead that life. Of course, apparently the galaxy feels no differently, which I hadn't exactly expected.

Sorry if my thoughts seem scattered, I just wanted to let you know I really enjoyed this story.

When do they get taken in for training? I can't remember it being mentioned, but I'll look again.
    It was a bit hard to differentiate between people in part III, too.

25. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Title: No More Jedi: Pain
    Genre: Action/Angst
    Summary: How do you cope with pain, not the physical but, the mental, the spiritual, the kind of pain that lingers, the pain that comes from turning against what you once were?

Author's Note: Here's part six showing the actual passage of the Force Sensitives Act and how Chancellor Tig reacted. As always constructive feedback is encouraged.

Pain​

"The Senator from Aaeton votes Aye." A human called out into the Senate rotunda.

At the center standing upon the chancellor's podium was a Nalroni dressed in fine robes a gold line running from the tip of their snout to the back of her head made more prominent by the pigments dusted on their fur. Beside her a pantoran woman, holding the Staff of the Speaker.

"The Senator from Abonshee votes Aye." A replilain growled

Chancellor Annx Tig watched as the votes came in, deciding the fate of millions, maybe billions of lives. They were voting on the bill she didn't want to bring but, she had no choice. She'd hoped that her colleagues would vote it down, that they would see reason.

"The Senator from Abregado-rae votes Aye."

It seemed fear, and loud voices had swayed many. That and the support of one man. Tig's brown eyes look up to the viewing gallery. There among the reporters and tourists was a man dressed in his Republic uniform, grey hair combed back and face set in stone.

"The Senator from Adoris votes Aye."

Without him, without General Lionus this bill would have never come up. There was a simmering resentment, and pain, that grew in her with every Aye that came in. She should have stood up to him should have called his bluff. Now she had to watch as her soul died, little by little as the Senators cast they votes.

"The Senator from Cejansij votes Aye."

Though it didn't show on her face, the chancellor was being tortured, no nays had be called, no one had voted against this bill, this law that would segregate an entire people away from others, that would force the next generation to serve, to stand ready to fight should another war break out.

"The Senator from Celanon votes…" Tig held her breath slightly as the next senator cast their vote. This was her home, the planet she used to represent, surely they would see this issue same as she did. "Aye."

No, she wanted to say it, to scream it, how could her own people betray her like this. Could they not see the evil this represented, the harm this would do? Why would they do this...to her.

The rest of the votes tumble past her but, she knew the outcome by this point. It was more than just a majority, it was a landslide. There was no recourse she could take to stop this. Nothing she could do to block this bill, it was over.

"I Ayes have it." Vice Chancellor Lungjing called out, Tig had to keep the anguish from her face. She couldn't let on, couldn't let the others know she was against this bill from the beginning. If she did, her seat as chancellor would be at risk and there was so much she had left to do. She wasn't ready to relinquish her seat, not yet.

As the rotunda resounded with cheers and applause, the chancellor descended from her place, the pantoran Vice Chancellor at her side. Once the podium disappeared from view, Tig let out a sigh, what had she done? What had she allow to happen?

"You did well," Lungjing said looking to the other woman, "Not letting them know your hand was forced." The Lord Speaker was one of the few that knew Tig's true feelings on the Force Sensitives Act. She had been an invaluable confidant, and friend, the few things that kept Tig sane.

The pair walked at a stately pace up to the Chancellor's office, their faces dispassionate masks as they passed their colleagues still celebrating the passage of the terrible law. The ornate halls of power rung with cheers and glee that they had finally solved the so called 'Jedi Problem'. They had not solved it, they had just sentenced billions of people to a life of segregation and derision. She could feel that it would be a problem, that there would be uprisings, there would be wars, and now it was their fault, not the Jedi's.

Finally the door to the Chancellor's Office closed shutting out the rest of the noise around her. Another weary sigh left Tig's chest.

"Do you need anything from me Annx." Lungjing asked, concern in her tightly controlled voice.

"No Mei," The chancellor answered drawing herself up to her full height, "I will be fine."

"Very well, good day." The pantoran bowed her head and quietly exited leaving Tig alone, in her still sparse office that didn't quite feel like it belonged to her. There were no art pieces, no holos of her family, not even imposing desk that exuded power. Just a simple metal one, bought from an office building that was getting rid of it. She slumped heavily into a chair purchased at the time and from the same place as the desk. Her head was filled with worry, with fear, and shame. She allowed this to happen, she caved to fear, gave into her own insecurities.

As her thoughts continued to swirl the shame grew and grew. Unable to take it anymore she open a drawer, well, tried to. In her rush she forgot to unlock it and it rattled with her frustrated tugging. A growl left her throat as she fumbled around for the key, her thoughts spiraling further and further down.

This was all her fault, she betrayed everything she stood for, everything she used to believe in.

She found the key and swiftly opened the drawer finding a bottle of painkillers. They were given to her after back surgery, to deal with the pain. If her doctor knew the kind of pain they now helped her with he would be appalled.

She didn't care, she just needed relief. Opening the bottle she took out two of the little tablets, crushing them between her teeth soon after. The frantic crunching resounded in the space an reminder and a comfort that she was alone, no one would see how weak she had become.

As the drug did its work, flowing through her system clouding her mind quieting her thoughts, her hand weakly opened up another drawer finding a darkened holoshpere. Turning it on she saw a young Senator smiling back at her, surrounded by friends.

What happened to her, what happened to the bright eyed senator that was going to fix the galaxy, that was going to stand up for the smaller planets, for the little guy.

A war happened, and its painful aftermath. She thought she could bring that same will, that same determination to this agust position, that she would be the one to lead the Republic out of darkness and into the light.

Now all she has is pain...and painkillers.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Sinrebirth likes this.