main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

No More Star Wars Games On GameCube. Lucasarts Pulls Support.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Rabid_Balding_Ewok, Mar 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Lucasarts quits gamecube.

>>>According to GameIndusty.biz, several publishers recently confirmed that they have no more titles scheduled for the system. Lucasarts is just the most recent publisher, in an ever-growing group of game-makers, without any Cube games in the pipeline.<<<

IGN editor insight

>>>Matt responds: Yepper. For those of you who haven't been following, LucasArts seems to have quietly pulled -- or say we say ceased? -- GameCube support.<<<

>>>So another one bites the dust. Which means that any title Factor 5 is working on now for this generation of console must be for Xbox.<<<

I wonder what this will mean for the next gen of consoles. Will Lucasarts keep this generation in mind and cut back on the Nintendo games or not bother at all. Guess this means no Episode III games on the Cube aswell.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

2. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
  3. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    well I WAS eventually gonna get a cube...

4. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Where was that web address for Boycotting LucasArts again? I feel Sam and Max syndrome kicking back in.

5. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Ugh, I'm glad I got Xbox, or I would not be happy right now.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That sure is a strange decision (given the increase in GCN sales over the past year), and a great pitty (given that it only leaves PS2's technological limitations and XB's potential-for-quality-but-took-2+-years-to-make-a-great-XB-exclusive-title-in-Ninja-Gaiden)

Though I wouldn't rule out an EP3 game on GCN just yet, as Nintendo is likely to have a very strong year. So that might convince the marketing types to do a port of whatever comes out.

But, at the very least, we'll still have Factor 5 developing for the cube.

7. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Well this is bad news. I just got a Gamecube. Thanks Lucasarts. Go release another crappy new Star Wars game with no replay value on another console. Go ahead.

I'll still be playing TIE Fighter, X-Wing, Dark Forces, etc. Trying to remember a time when Lucasarts released quality Star Wars titles.

8. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Sam and Max, now this, and completely craptastic prequels. Go and die lucas and lucasarts...

Just when you think you couldn't be less pleased with a company...

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    **** you, LucasArts. :)

10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Who's been in charge of LucasArts lately? Becuase sometimes I feel like a drunken chimp could do better. The only truely exceptional thing that's come outta there in like the past year is KOTOR. Truely a shame. But I'm not loosing all hope just yet. Gonna wait and see what happens at E3.

11. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "Sam and Max, now this, and completely craptastic prequels. Go and die lucas and lucasarts...

Just when you think you couldn't be less pleased with a company...
    "

Um, LucasArts makes video games, not the prequels.

12. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    Gladius was a pretty decent title. Shame no one bought it. I don't really consider KOTOR a Lucasarts game. All they did was publish it. It's unfair for them to get the credit for such a stellar title.

-----signature-----

13. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    I just rented Gladius, I hope it's good.

14. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    If you like games like Final Fantasy Tactics or Shining Lore then you will probably like Gladius. It was in my top ten of favorite games last year.

-----signature-----

15. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Ah, I forgot about Gladius. I actually liked that game (and was one of the few who bought it).

16. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    Did it bomb?

17. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I know that Sithman, thats why I also bashed Lucas.

18. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I just found this on Gamespot.com's rumor control. Thought you guys might be interested

RUMOR #2: LucasArts is ceasing development for the GameCube.

Source: GameSpot's very own and ever-active forums.

The official story: "I have not heard anything of that nature." -- LucasArts' Heather Phillips.

What we heard: Spurred by lengthy forum feedback, we tracked this rumor to its original source, a recent GamesIndustry.biz piece. The article talked about the general decline of support for the 'Cube among third-party publishers outside of Japan. LucasArts was singled out because of the success of its Rogue Squadron series, one of the few successful adult-oriented, nonsports franchises for the Cube. However, a look at LucasArts' game roster does indeed show a dearth of GameCube titles in the works, even though upcoming PlayStation 2 and Xbox games like Mercenaries and Star Wars: Republic Commando are listed.

Bogus or not bogus?: Officially not bogus. The company line reveals that LucasArts still supports the GameCube. But what good is an official endorsement if there are no products in the pipeline?

19. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Until I see a new Star Wars game for the 'cube, i'll believe that Lucasarts ditched them.

Man, I have had horrible luck with consoles lately. First I buy a Dreamcast right before the fiasco began, then I bought a PS2 that broke only a few months after I got it, now this. Long live NES.

20. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Rumour's not true? Good, I'd hate to have to forward another thousand "enlarge your manhood" e-mails to LucasArts.

21. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Think they would support the upcoming Nintendo DS?

22. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Man, I have had horrible luck with consoles lately. First I buy a Dreamcast right before the fiasco began, then I bought a PS2 that broke only a few months after I got it, now this. Long live NES.

Having a Dreamcast can still be a very learned investment. The quality and calibur of games on the now redundant system still shines through today, and the console was still, quite a sucess, if it was'nt for the hefty sales of Soul Calibur on the console, none of us would be seeing SC2 on all the next-gens.

Think they would support the upcoming Nintendo DS?

//shrugs

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Good, glad it's not true- I won't count out the cube for SW games until the Episode 3 tie-in game is announced (perhaps its that supposed Battle Squadron game Factor 5 registered the title for?...as I somehow doubt that's the subtitle for the new Pilotwings game...)

24. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Mercenary is a SW game? I thought that was a LA non-SW game?

I am glad to know that LA is still planning on making games for the GC in the future, even if not att he moment. Of course I don't have a cube. :p

25. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    I can get a Dreamcast for $15 at the local EB, is that worth it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.