No More Stars

Discussion in 'Communications' started by darthcleo, Jan 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. tenorjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If you say so. Some do spam for stars, but when I first got here, I just had alot to say. Now, not so much
  2. Anakin's Angel Jedi Master

star 4

I agree with Julie...

Also, it's harder to determine between posts without them stars! Esp. to us ff readers...!

I vote to keep em, or give us something to play with !!

aa :)
  3. Julie Moderator Emeritus

star 5
    Naw the trolls won't go, no matter how much we all desperately wish they would. =(

But what about socks? Its not unusal for someone to be silly and make a sock spelled almost identical to another user's name in an attempt to fool everyone. Only the lack of stars gave them away. Now, people can be easily fooled unless they think to check the profile.

Example: Jotun_Denial (a sock) and Jotun_Denal (real user)
  4. JediMasterAlpha Force Ghost

star 3
    Twice, I've had turbo-newbies in Episode 2 & 3 tell me I didn't know what I was talking about, and that they DID know what they were talking about because, get this: They had 4 stars. That was literally the attitude shown, and almost word for word what was said.

Note that both of these people had signed up only a month earlier, and were doing nothing but posting in a social thread to boost their post count. I say keep the stars out. No one died after losing the Padawan/Knight titles at the UBB. No one will die because of this either.
  5. OJSithLord Jedi Master

star 4
    Excellent idea.

I remember all the crap that went on with the padawan & knight thing on the UBB. The star system hasn't proved to be any better.
  6. Satan_Claus Jedi Youngling

star 2
    How about this idea? We get colors and the moderators all get 5 stars and no colors. That would lively up this place. And I like not having the stars.
  7. jamesdrax Force Ghost

star 6
    My poor, poor innocent stars.

//crawls under a table and cries like a little girl//

:(
  8. tenorjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    SC I like that idea.
  9. Cailina Force Ghost

star 4
    Personally I applaud youin getting rid of the stars! Even if I did like the color they added to the boards.
  10. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    For the love of God, just read my next post! Everyone's ignoring me!
  11. Julie Moderator Emeritus

star 5
    I like your idea too, SC! That would succeed in brightening this place without the problems the stars had!
  12. Anakin's Angel Jedi Master

star 4

Yeah...that or change the color of SOMETHING here! Winter is drab enough...and we have to look at all this gray ;)

aa :)
  13. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Wow. I really, REALLY like SC's idea of everyone being able to edit their username's colors and text styles, and the administrators having some kind of special image deigned to them, such as stars, or Star Wars symbol, or such.

In all honesty, the stars added much needed color. If regular users were granted such ability, then there'd really be no need for the star system. People would be granted a fun way to personalize themselves in place of member images (a la ezboard). Post counts can be accessed via profile if the need arises, and even then, one can see when the user first signed up at the JC and make conclusions from that.

Darthcleo, any opinion on this? Not to be too assertive, but I can't think of why such would be a -bad- idea.
  14. Oakessteve Manager Emeritus

star 6
    "That's not fair..."

You can't do that! Stars brighten up my usually brain numbingly dull life...
  15. Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I didn't notice until just now. It doesn't bother me, but I *did* just get that 4th star.
  16. Krayt Tion Jedi Youngling

star 4
    My feedback:

Thank you thank you thank you for removing Stars. I had 4 of them, another few months and I'd probably have 5, but I care absolutely nothing for them. N-o-t-h-i-n-g.

The Stars = Spam point is definitely true. Removing them is the best thing that can be done to combat this, I applaud you for it. The only thing that is worse then Stars for attracting spam is when the exact number of posts is displayed under the person's name like you see on various hacked UBB boards.

I agree with others that the color scheme now needs to be changed without the Stars. This place can look damn good without Stars; the current design we see now was not designed to function on its own, it was designed to function with the blue stars.

*However* this is not a reason to bring the stars back imo, it is a reason to merely change the color scheme. Do not be fooled by people how insist they need the stars back for the place to look good, I sense they have alterior motives for saying this, this place CAN look good without stars; the color scheme just needs to be altered.

We could even have a little graphic in place of the Stars back, so long as it does *not* reflect the number of posts you have. Spam is bad.

Again, I'm glad you had the guts to take this first step, it's something that has long since needed to be done. The forums here once existed WITHOUT such exterior displays of post counts, and functioned quite well I might add.
  17. Herman Snerd Force Ghost

star 6
    Thanks Cleo.

Though I do wish I could see the face of whoever was just about to hit five stars. :)
  18. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I don't care about the colors. I'm glad that the star system's been disabled, and that's good enough for me!
  19. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    We need more supporters of the colored username suggestion.

Krayt Tion?
  20. jazztronaut Jedi Master

star 4
    I could care less. When i use to frequent here more often, i didn't because I wanted to "up my post count" I came to talk about SW and BS with people.

So, as for the disabled star system...doesn't bother me. A few people here though are whining already...figures.
  21. wadda_u_know Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  22. InasneChiss Jedi Knight

star 3
    true...a little color would be nice, but not too much...I actually like drab colors.....
  23. Maul KenObi Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't care about the stars...I'm neither happy or upset they re gone but I do agree we need to brighten this place up, but there is no way the admins will give away their privilege of colors...
    Might I suggest that you change the color of each posts header to blue, it would make it look a lot like the old UBB...
  24. Krayt Tion Jedi Youngling

star 4
    MaxVeers, I'm definitely down with whatever will bring more color to this place now (aside from the return of any visible indicator of post counts), including your color suggestion for regular users names, and something different yet again for the admins.

A tiny graphic to the right of our name would be great too. I think there is plenty that can be done here to spice things up.
  25. Arachne Jedi Knight

star 1
    Good decision, darthcleo. We were happy enough without them on the old UBB system. They were tacky anyway.

Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.