No More Stars

Discussion in 'Communications' started by darthcleo, Jan 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Darth Fierce Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't understand this decision. Maybe I've been in the wrong threads, but I've seen no evidence of people being treated badly because they had no stars, or given special treatment because they had many. I've only seen a few threads geared towards "upping your post count" but they were few and far between, and good-natured. I for one thought the stars were quite useful, but I guess the implication is that I therefore discriminate against newbies. I think that's a totally unfair assumption.
  2. Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Who cares who the moderators are? :p

You could have the word "Moderator" next to your name and normal members could have colors. I mean this board doesn't have sig pics. Throw them a small bone to allow them the illusion of individuality in this ant farm.

3. Darth Sebious Manager Emeritus

star 4
    If you've been in Ep2/3, you'll see people with 1 or 2 stars complaining specifically about "4-star members".
  4. Jedi Master RussDog Force Ghost

star 5
    junior member was only for below 30 posts so I don't think it made much of a difference.
  5. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I think I have an idea that can allow colors for everyone, and at the same time, distinguish moderators. I'm working on it in Photoshop right now, please give me a few minutes.
  6. Julie Moderator Emeritus

star 5
    I'll explain Darth Fierce. The star problem came when a newbie would come in and want to have lots of stars like everyone else. So, the newbie would post massively and annoyingly to gain those stars. This got even worse when some members wanted to have the 5 stars, but you needed 5,000 posts to get that, so... You see what a mess it is? And yes, there are those who are rude to people with fewer stars and people with few stars who were very nasty to those with more, unfortunately.
  7. General_JarJar Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Thank you for removing the stars.

I applaud this decision.
  8. Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I never really liked the stars all that much anyways.
  9. Darth Sebious Manager Emeritus

star 4
    If you really want some customization, you're going to have to ask zerosleep.
  10. Valiowk Force Ghost

star 6
    Well I'm glad there's no more stars... :)
  11. Jedi Master RussDog Force Ghost

star 5
    I really think we should go back to the original junior member, member, admin style like we had in the beginning, anyone who has been here for a day or too will be a member like everyone else, so it's not a big deal, and it tells who admins are, and we can have colors.
  12. Krayt Tion Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Words of wisdom must echo:

"You could have the word "Moderator" next to your name and normal members could have colors. I mean this board doesn't have sig pics. Throw them a small bone to allow them the illusion of individuality in this ant farm."

13. Darth Sebious Manager Emeritus

star 4
    See above post^

Not much point in asking us for it.
  14. Jedi Master RussDog Force Ghost

star 5
    So you admins don't have any control over that then? That makes sense, it's not like you designed snowboard. If it can be customized to do such things, would we be allowed to do it ourselves, I mean we've got probably a couple hundred capable programmers here, including myself.
  15. Krayt Tion Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Hey, you posted while I was still typing that :p
  16. Darth Fierce Jedi Master

star 4
    So basically, because a few people can't deal, the rules have to change. *sigh* Well, it seems the majority opinion is that this is a good idea, so I will shut up.

btw, thanks for the explanation.
  17. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Krayt Tion and others,

Take a look at this idea.

http://aegis.clanpages.com/newidea1.gif

Comments?
  18. Darth Sebious Manager Emeritus

star 4
    zerosleep has control. And I think any changes like that here will take place everywhere (like at IGN and Chickclick).

And anything like this would have to be discussed between all the mods, so I can't say if any customizations could be implemented or not.

19. Wylding Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Now you have to give us some colors for our names, the admins can't have all the fun.

20. NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    All things considered, I think that this was a good idea. Spamming was an obvious downside, and there was actually a user on The Phantom Menace board who accused Mr. K of playing favorites with a four-star user (Yes, he actually said this). This board should run better without them. I can't believe that people are using the excuse that this board needs more "color" to try and get them back. Let's see: less spamming and accusations of favoritism...pretty colors and/or stars.... less spamming...stars. I think that it's obvious which is more important for this board's growth.
  21. Jedi Master RussDog Force Ghost

star 5
    Damn, thats unfortunate, I don't thing the entire snowboard community will want to bow to my measly wishes.
  22. Katriel Jedi Master

star 4
    MaxVeers, it really doesn't matter to me whether my name is day-glo orange or the simple black that it is now. If they suddenly dropped in colors that we could customize as we wanted, I would probably just keep the black lettering. The same goes for icons such as smileys etc. It would take longer to load and anyone with a slow connection would probably commit suicide with the frustration of trying to change pages. How much eye candy do you need?

23. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Fair enough, but you're very much in the minority. Basically everyone else wants some feature such as special text, smilies, or links.
  24. Krayt Tion Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I'm agreeing with Max here.

Why would changes here mean changes here have to mean changes to the scheme of every other ign place?

This place is still going to be a snowboard, its not like people using all the boards of ign wouldn't be able to figure out how to use our boards because the name moderator is written next to the mods and or names are in colors.

You don't have the change the color of your name if you don't want to. This is simply a very fun thing for the rest of us to do, it would make this place much more lively.
  25. Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Smilies would only slow down the very slowest of connections and colored names wouldn't slow anything down at all. I don't really care. I think smilies are annoying and the colors make the admins feel wayyy too cool for them to want to share it with the 'peons'. :p

Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.