No more SW RPG products from WOTC - It's O F F I C I A L

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Nur_Ab_Sal, Oct 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I just wanted to venture in with an opinion here. Now I'm a bit of a newbie to the whole RPG thing, so if I get a few of my points wrong, please forgive. :)

I think WotC is somewhat responsible for the demise of the RPG. They didn't really market their product and a product can't become profitable until it can attract new consumers to them. WotC didn't really do that. Where, outside of industry publications, did you see ads for the RPG line?(not counting Mini's, obviously) They have the Star Wars Insider, which I'm sure would have given up some adspace for their own license to help sell the game, but show me an instance in the past year of the RPG even being advertised there.

I agree that there were probably other factors that contributed to its demise, but they didn't really try to sell the product line, so WotC themselves does share some of the blame.
  2. TheDarthVader Jedi Master

star 3
    A company halting a production line can't kill SWRPG. The only people who can kill it's us, the PLAYERS. If we stop playing it, it's dead. If a company stops releasing new books, we simply go on adventuring with the current 130 books we have. If we dearly need stats for some new item that appeared in the latest cartoon, we can bloody well make it up or ask the global SWRPG community to help us out.

Yes we could all use the other 130 books, which i am sure many of us use already. It is just sad that such a well-presented, informative, organised, intriguing and quantified set of books have gone. I believed these books were unique and a really good addition to all the Star Wars litreture and as a result I will certainly miss them; they were like a fun, great and mature reading SW encyclopedia. This is why we all mourn the end of SWRPG, we can still all play the game but we have all lost a great series of books that really added to the Star Wars Galaxy.
  3. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    Look at it this way: At least you got the book while it's cheap. The price of books is about to go through the roof on e-bay for a few months.

Yes, but most of the WotC books will drop to reasonable prices in a yeaar or so. I bought 70-80% of the WEG books on ebay (over the course of a couple of years) at a fraction of cover price. Only the truly rare books had high auction prices.

They have the Star Wars Insider, which I'm sure would have given up some adspace for their own license to help sell the game, but show me an instance in the past year of the RPG even being advertised there.

Actually they have not had the Insider for over a year when Hyperspace took it over. When they did have the Insider, they also had Gamer.
  4. Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I just chose a year as a random measure of time. For that matter have they even had an ad for the game (aside from Gamer magazine) in Insider in the past 3 years?

Either way, if Hyperspace, or the offical fanclub took it over should have no bearing. Hyperspace is also run by Lucasfilm, and Paizo publishes the magazine itself, but they have ads for Hasbro and LucasArts all over the place. Why not the SWRPG?

My point is that while declining sales are to blame for the decision, WotC didn't really try to market the product, which was a big contributing factor to lack of sales.
  5. TheDarthVader Jedi Master

star 3

I do not believe that to be so, a large company like WOTC/Hasbro does lots of research on advertisement response and numerous other things before the launch of a new project, they also have a sizable share of the RPG and SW market, which gives them a lot of existing knowledge. I am sure they had deduced that the SWRPG market was one rather unresponsive to marketing and when it came down to profits vs. costs the SWRPG was not worth their effort, in comparison to the resources they could allocate to their other projects. Minis however have been a much larger success, appealing to a much larger proportion of the SW fandom; it was only a natural move to phase out the SWRPG with Minis. Minis have also fulfilled the criteria of SWRPG under WOTC's contract.

Minis have also fulfilled the criteria of SWRPG under WOTC's contract.
    It is because of the above, that I am sceptical about a new smaller company getting the rights to a future SWRPG. It should also be noted that JD Wiker, who used to work on the SWRPG said that Lucas and Co. have been getting even more selective on who gets awarded a SW contract and that the prices of these contracts is so high, only large company could afford them. I only hope this changes in a result of a post ROTS market, so we might see a new SWRPG coming from a smaller more niche orientated company that would be very satisfied from the realistic sales of the SWRPG.
  6. Nur_Ab_Sal Jedi Knight

star 2
    Like Fantasy Flight Games... ;)
  7. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    WotC may end up keeping the RPG license if the mini's are very profitable since the mini's count as RPG, thus tying up the RPG license and preventing it from going to another company. The only way I see them giving up the RPG license is if the SW mini market starts to tank too.
  8. TheDarthVader Jedi Master

star 3
    Thanks Darth_Kevin, my point was not very clear, I should have further clarified my point. Yes, Minis does fulfil the contract at the moment, the only hope of a new paper/book SWRPG is when the contract comes up for renewal/review. We can only hope that a separate contract is issued for the paper SWRPG then. I really can not estimate what the likelihood of this is, but I feel the chances are pretty remote.

1) WOTC will probably want the their contract to be as flexible as possible, with lots of scope for freedom, this leaves them many options in the future. Hasbro do have a huge amount of negotiating power with Lucas and Co.

2) Lucas and Co. probably do not care much about getting another SWRPG game on the market; Minis have been such a financial success and are proving to be the brainless/trite RPG that most fans want. After all, they are giving the majority of fans what they want. They get what they want PROFIT. Most fans get what they want.

3) If a new SWRPG contract is issued, the price of this may be so high that only a large company would be able to afford it, given the large price and the relatively small sales of the SWRPG, no big company is likely to allocate resources to such a product.

I hate to sound so negative, I hope I am wrong. I think the future will prove that we will get no more SWRPG sourcebooks from any other companies. RIP SWRPG :_|

PLEASE Lucas and Co. PROVE ME WRONG, give us more SWRPG
  9. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    I'm glad at times of such hysteria I was a player when WEG lost their license so I know the facts and don't confuse my own feelings with the reality of business. :)

It's almost as if most gaming fans don't want to play SWRPG. :)

E_S
  10. Darth_Laudrup Force Ghost

star 4
    Can't say that I'm sad about the news since I despise Wizards of the Coast anyway and their system sucked.
  11. darktalon Jedi Knight

star 1
    Or even the reborn West End Games. Well, we can dream can't we? :D
  12. TheDarthVader Jedi Master

star 3

The system was far from perfect, but this is the case in any RPG. My gaming group adapted the rules to quite a large degree in certain parts, as we felt this gave rise to a more cannon game and a more dynamic one. I did not by the book just for the system. As I stated in earlier posts, the books were great as they presented the SW galaxy in a way which made it easy for the gamers to quantify and compare things. Further more they drew on information from all the films, books and mediums etc added more information and presented this in a way which was very informative and enjoyable for all Star Wars fans to read, whether they be a gamer or not.
  13. Therren_Cragan Jedi Knight

star 1
    Alot of people dont realize how customizable the D20 system is. If there's something that you dont like about it there's usually some way to change it in a way that suits you or your game better.
  14. TheDarthVader Jedi Master

star 3
    Therren_Cragan, that is the perfect attitude.

The SWRPG is bound to be complex and imperfect, the SW galaxy is so full of complexities that any system would be far from ideal. That is why, i customised many of the rules.

To all those that complain about the rules: The rules were ok but it is the loss of the material that will mpst affect gamers and not the system.
  15. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    That's true of any game system. You don't like a rule, change it. Sometimes it is easier than others.

I think this really hurts SW RPG because it will be that much harder to bring fresh blood into the games.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.