No new jedi discovered after the jedi purge?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Vaux, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Vaux Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Forgive me if this is an existing thread, I could not find it if it is.

I was wondering about the discovery of young jedi across the galaxy. Are jedi the product of jedi parents or are there beings without jedi parents that are strong with the force? Aside from the chosen one, Anakin of course.

My real question is why are Luke and Leia the last of the jedi, after the deaths of Yoda and Obi wan. Wouldn't there still be children strong in the force being born on different planets across the Star Wars universe?

I understand that if jedi are the product of jedi parents why this would be.

Another thought was, is this because there are no jedi to recognize jedi traits in these children?

Or finally does it have to do with the profescy and the rise of the darkside of the force?

Just wondering? Any thoughts appreciated.
  2. JONJEDI Jedi Master

star 5
    Yes there was young children strong with the force out there at the time of the empire, but they need training you can't give a five year old a lightsabre and tell him to go fight Darth Vader. I suppose Luke trained younglins after ROTJ, well he trains some people it's in the novels, I don't read the novels so mabey someone who does can explain.

3. OBI-GYN_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

star 3
    It makes sense that they're out there, but The Emperor would be doing nothing with them but killing them to avoid being taken out by a usurper. Maybe whatever process was used by The Republic to identify Jedi babies is now being used by The Empire to eliminate them.
    Remember 'The Rule Of Two'.

However, I think a more likely explanation is that they are just not being identified & trained. Remember by ANH, belief in The Force is being called a 'hokey religion', so it's been discredited. Even the officers on the Death Star don't know The Emperor is a Force user - "The Jedi's light has gone out of the universe, Vader. You, my friend are the last of their religion." as Tarkin tells Darth.

The two remaining Jedi, Yoda & Obi-Wan are hiding out, biding their time or stranded on Dagobah, & recruiting Younglings is a great way to have The Emperor "Sense a disturbance in The Force" & track them down.
  4. JediHunterCommand Jedi Youngling

star 1
    There are quite a few kids that Luke trains up, plus the children of Han and Leia.

Luke also gets help from a few servants of Palpatine who cross back to the light, and at least one person who was kept ignorant of his Jedi heritage to save him from the purge.
  5. NiktosRule Jedi Padawan

star 4
    There are potential jedi out there but with no one to train them they can't become jedi.
  6. IG_88a Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Obi wan was mugged when he was on tatooine, he lost the piece of equipment that could read midichlorians.
  7. OrlandoT Jedi Padawan

star 4

There's a hint of this in TPM. Qui-Gon tells Shimi that if Anakin had been born in the republic, he would have been identified as Jedi potential. I figure when Palpatine takes control of the Republic, he has access to information about new potential and would either wipe them out or train them as replacement apprentices.
  8. DishWasher Jedi Youngling

Dishwasher says:

I agree with the "no one to train them" theory. Maybe if Yoda wasn't hanging out on Dagobah by himself he could have helped a little lad or something.
  9. D_Lowe Jedi Knight

star 6
    Hopefully I will make some sense out of all of this! :)

Lots of people who have the Force never get trained as a Jedi. Look at Anakin. Even though he had the highest midi-chlorian count in history doesn't mean he was going to be trained. The Council debated that. So just because you have the potential, doesn't mean you will be trained.

Now if Luke was never trained, he would be no good to go up against Vader or the Emperor. If Yoda wasn't around, Luke was out of luck. Sure there were many people out there that could be Jedi, but there were no Jedi around to train them. And Yoda and Obi-Wan chose Luke because he was Anakin's son and probably had the highest midi-chlorian count of all the people they could choose from.
  10. The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The Jedi forbid relationships, so it would be against their rules if Jedi have children, so Force strong infants seem to be able to pop up without the Force being with their parents.

I also agree that Palps would not let force strong children survive. However, this creates a problem. Leia was in the Republic and she was also a senator. If the emporer used the same means of discovering force sensitives children the as the jedi, how come Leia wasn't detected?
  11. OrlandoT Jedi Padawan

star 4
    >>>I also agree that Palps would not let force strong children survive. However, this creates a problem. Leia was in the Republic and she was also a senator. If the emporer used the same means of discovering force sensitives children the as the jedi, how come Leia wasn't detected?<<<

Good question. My guess is that part of Organa's plan for hiding Leia from the emperor would be to manipulate the results so that it doesn't show Leia being Jedi potential.
  12. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Even if she was identified as strong (which may or may not happen), it seems the Empire still allows its citizens a level of freedom up until the point that the Glactic Senate is disbanded in ANH.

I don't think that even the Emperor would dare take the children of his stongest political rivals without the power of the Death Star to back him up.
  13. D_Lowe Jedi Knight

star 6
    I also agree that Palps would not let force strong children survive. However, this creates a problem. Leia was in the Republic and she was also a senator. If the emporer used the same means of discovering force sensitives children the as the jedi, how come Leia wasn't detected?
      Leia isn't a threat unless she is trained. So Palpatine would have no worries. As far as he is concerned, Leia is just a person who has Jedi potential with nobody to train her in the ways of the Force. He has no idea that she is Anakin's daughter and that Yoda and Obi-Wan are aware of her existence.
  14. The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan

star 4
    He doesn't know she exists which is true, but why would he take that risk? That is an awfully big risk. Thats a bit like giving a 6 year old a loaded shotgun but saying he doesn't know how to use it so its ok. I think Palps and Vader would have killed all the Force users they came across.
  15. OrlandoT Jedi Padawan

star 4
    >>>>He doesn't know she exists which is true, but why would he take that risk? That is an awfully big risk. Thats a bit like giving a 6 year old a loaded shotgun but saying he doesn't know how to use it so its ok. I think Palps and Vader would have killed all the Force users they came across.<<<

I agree. If they had a hint of a child being strong in the force, they would find a way to get rid of them. A strong politian's kid? Assasinate them.
  16. D_Lowe Jedi Knight

star 6
    He doesn't know she exists which is true, but why would he take that risk? That is an awfully big risk. Thats a bit like giving a 6 year old a loaded shotgun but saying he doesn't know how to use it so its ok. I think Palps and Vader would have killed all the Force users they came across.
      She's got potential, that is for sure, but she doesn't use the Force. I'm sure lots of people the come across have the Force. But with no Jedi left in the galaxy to train them, she is no threat. When Vader found out that Obi-Wan still lives, he was killed, so as far as the Sith are concerned, there is nobody left to train Jedi. They didn't know that Yoda still lived. But again, she's not a threat if she doesn't know how to use the Force.
  17. JediKnightOB1 Jedi Master

star 5
    Leia was detected by Vader on the Death Star. He said she was strong willed, that is why they had to use the probe droid on her.

Vader knew she was strong, he just didn't know she was literaly, under his nose.

As far as training young padawans is concerned wouldn't it be whacked if the Empire used the same techniques to read childrens midiclorian count and they killed that child?
    I know it would be contriversial but I am sure that babies that were born would be tested after the Jedi Purge.
    It would be like the Romans killing the babies during King Herods time. Killing all of those children only to have a chosen one slip through the system.

As far as training a new padawan the Emperor would sense it. Like he sensed Luke in the beginning of ESB.

It would be to dangerous to train another Jedi before Luke was trained. Yoda or Obi-Wan would have been sensed by the Emperor they would have been killed and Luke would have never been trained.
  18. The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It is still a risk by having potential Force users around the galaxy, and not get rid of them. Whether there are Jedi around to train them or not.
  19. OBI-GYN_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

star 3
    JediknightOB1 is thinking like me.....

I was thinking that in ANH, Vader & one of the officers talk about "if word of our holding her (Leia) gets out, it could create sympathy for the rebellion in the Senate."

Also, when Tarkin metions Leia's death sentance, she comments that she's surprised he had the guts to sign it himself.

All this indicates that there's still a semblance of 'freedom' in the Empire.....

I think that the Jedi are going to look so discredited in EP III, & with no Jedi left to test the children, there's no force users. They may have 'special powers' like Anakin did before meeting Qui-Gon, but they may not even know it's The Force that's giving them these gifts.

The thought also crossed my mind of the inspiration for 'infantacide' coming from Herod or Pharoh killing the babies to remove the prophecied 'Chosen Ones' in the bible. But, in light Leia's rather gutsy stand against Vader & Tarkin, I doubt it.

The potential controversy in killing Leia leads me to conclude there's still some accountability to be answered to in the Galactic Empire during the time between EP's 3 & 4.
    Palpatine's still holding to his 'M.O.' of subtle deception & not brute force.......
  20. OrlandoT Jedi Padawan

star 4
    >>>The potential controversy in killing Leia leads me to conclude there's still some accountability to be answered to in the Galactic Empire during the time between EP's 3 & 4.
    Palpatine's still holding to his 'M.O.' of subtle deception & not brute force.......<<<

True, it's not until Ep.4 that he dissolves the senate and starts using brute force. (Death Star) However, this does not discount the possibility of Palpatine murdering the children in secret.
  21. The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Keep in mind that Leia was born during the Jedi Purge. I can see how 20 years after such an event a potential force user could be let go, but she was born at the begging of the purge. I'm assuming the Younglins we see in AOTC won't get to grow up, so surely they would check new borns to see if they had Force potential.
  22. The_Sith_Prophet Jedi Youngling

star 3
    The EU describes aPlawetts{sp?} Well, a place where the Jedi took any younglings remaining in yheir order; and it also tells that Palpatine rounded up as many Force-sensitives as he could find and trained them for specialized jobs, such as Hethrir, Procurator of Justice, and his own sons.
    Apparently, since the Sith were now in contol of things, there was no reason to continue with the Rule of Two, something designed to keep the Sith hidden from the Jedi.
  23. Drac39 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I`m sure there were
  24. superxero88 Jedi Youngling

What about Klye Katarn from the Jedi Knight Games. did they not sense him?
  25. The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan

star 4
    No offence fella's, but this is why I hate the EU. The Jedi are wiped out in the movie except for the obvious. Then, all of a sudden, powerful Jedi were always around while the emporer ruled. Vader kills Palpatine in accordance with the Prophecy, yet Palps comes back several times.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.