main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

No new jedi discovered after the jedi purge?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Vaux, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Look at Han Solo. He didn't believe in the Force and there was a reason. He never saw it and as far as he was concerned, it didn't exist because of it. Same with Leia's case. She didn't know what it was and wouldn't be a threat to use it. Especially no Jedi to train her.

"Luke, you have a power I don't understand and could never have."
    --Leia (ROTJ)

2. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    "Your wrong Leia, you have that power too, and I'm time you will learn to use it as I have"

Given enough time, Leia could learn it, not necessarily taught it.

3. the-JEDI-are-NO-more

the-JEDI-are-NO-more Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 10, 2002
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<WARNING EU FREAK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Yes there were more jedi discovered after the purge. Other than Anakin no other jedi had children durring the purge,though many jedi did survive the purge (a former jedi in the thrawn books, Jedi Master Ikrit, and several others). Not to say that force sensitive children aren't just born (which they are, how do you think there were jedi in the first place), but new the likelyness of having a force sensitive child are greatly increased when at least one of the parents are force sensitives themselves.

...There did I answer all your questions????

4. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    Luke planned on teaching Leia how to use it. That is why he said in time she will learn to use like he does. She would of never known if Luke didn't tell her. Even Luke would of never knew how if Obi-Wan didn't tell him. The fact remains that Leia wasn't killed because of it, so it does show she wasn't a threat.

5. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I don't think Luke was a hundred percent sure he was coming back from facing Vader.

"if I dont make it back your the only hope for the Alliance" Luke to Leai on the moon of Endor

"Soon I'll be dead and you with me" Luke to the Emporer on the Death Star

6. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Luke: Your overconfidence is your weakness.

A force sensitive person is no threat to the Sith. Every person in the GFFA has some midis inside them so potentially anyone could learn to use the force. Some are more sensitive than others (mid count) but that doesn't translate to power.

Anakin was born with the highest mid count in the galaxy but that didn't mean that he was the most powerful Force user, he had to be trained. Even after 10 years of training he was easily beaten by a Sith Apprentice (Dooku).

So Leia (or any other force sensitive child), is not a threat to the Emperor unless he/she's trained.

That is why in TESB the emperor is worried, because in a short time (and after 20 or so years) a prominent Jedi (OB1) and the son of the Chosen One have just popped into the mix.

As long as there is a Jedi that can train others there is a threat. If there are no Jedi then there is no danger to the Sith.

Thus there is no need for profiling or killing babies just because they are sensitive.

7. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Just wait... we will see that Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin (aka Vader) are the last of the Jedi. It can't be any other way.

8. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    Obidiojuan, If a force sensitive is not a threat without a trainer, then how in the world did Sideous become "trained"? The Jedi say in EP1 that the sith have been extinct for over a 1000 years, this would mean that either the Jedi were wrong, or Palpatine is very old. Could a cache of Jedi/Sith teachings be enough to train a force sensitive child? maybe, maybe not. One thing for sure is that Luke had to finish his training on his own, leading me to believe that one can train him/herself.

I know we will not know the answ to this until EP 3, but for now GL has let us believe that Palpatine just popped out of nowhere and that Luke did some of his training on his own, so this is what I must believe. I think that we will just have to wait and see.

9. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    No offence fella's, but this is why I hate the EU. The Jedi are wiped out in the movie except for the obvious. Then, all of a sudden, powerful Jedi were always around while the emporer ruled. Vader kills Palpatine in accordance with the Prophecy, yet Palps comes back several times.
    Actually, it's not explicitly stated in the original trilogy that Obi-Wan and Yoda were the only Jedi to have survived the purge...only that the the Jedi were so diffusely spread out that they were ultimately of no help to one another whatsoever. In the NPR radio drama (which is canonical to Lucasfilm, rather than "official"), Kenobi tells Luke that there are, in fact, other Jedi Knights out there, but that they cannot expect any assistance from them for the nonce.

Apart from Kenobi and Yoda, we're only looking at *maybe* ten or twelve major Jedi who have been chronicled in non-filmic sources; and these pretty much end up toast within whatever stories they appear. Also, there are those that are considered "Dark Jedi" (not "Sith"), by virtue of being discovered by the Emperor's minions and trained, although not indoctrinated into the Sith Order. So, the really *relevant* ones are still Yoda and Obi-Wan, for the purposes of the larger story, with the others segueing into supporting roles.

Obidiojuan, If a force sensitive is not a threat without a trainer, then how in the world did Sideous become "trained"? The Jedi say in EP1 that the sith have been extinct for over a 1000 years, this would mean that either the Jedi were wrong, or Palpatine is very old. Could a cache of Jedi/Sith teachings be enough to train a force sensitive child? maybe, maybe not. One thing for sure is that Luke had to finish his training on his own, leading me to believe that one can train him/herself.
    Lucas has noted in interviews that Darth Sidious himself had a Sith master, but that we won't likely ever learn the exact details of what went on. And he discovered Darth Maul at a very young age on Maul's homeworld of Iridonia, and raised him from around the age of seven or thereabouts as his Sith apprentice.

10. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Just wait... we will see that Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin (aka Vader) are the last of the Jedi. It can't be any other way.

Oh great, now I've been spoiled because you know what exactly happens in Episode III, without a doubt.

:p ;)

11. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Actually, I find it implausible that Anakin, Obi Wan and Yoda are the ONLY remaining Jedi.

I mean, in a galaxy so big, there HAD to be some that got away. Perhaps they abandoned their Jedi ways and hid. Who knows?

But come on, there's no way of knowing for SURE.

12. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    in all reality the universe is a huge place and to say that every single jedi in the universe are destroyed would be a flat lies. there could be, god forbid, other orders that are secrative and not widly known. and we know that the force can be either in the bloodline or just a random occurance.

and i find it hard to believe that two people (Vader and Palpy) could eliminate every one. i think 98% is a good number. the time it would take for them to hunt down the rest would be exponential. and those who remain would be so scattered and afraid that they wouldent be able to be any threat.

So by all means it is possible to find other Force senstaive or possibly even Jedi after the purge. they wont neccesarily be new, but they will still exsist.

13. VuaRapuungRules

VuaRapuungRules Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2002
    Totally agreeing there, though I'm even willing to accept the fact that more than 99% of all Jedi were wiped out. I don't think a Jedi would bunker up... Also, it is my believe that the Holocrons (to flee off topic -or not) contain thinking entities. So Palpatine could've been trained by the 'spirit' of a Sith Master, or maybe he's been watching Tool Time for Sith, Holocron X-mas special - "build yourself". Jedi Holocrons contain parts of deceased Jedi Masters, and even in that way, the Jedi lived on. Someone with enough of a brain, and a big enough capacity for abstract (technical) thinking, could build a nuke if he'd been given a manual and proper tools -from scratch.

14. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Actually, it's not explicitly stated in the original trilogy that Obi-Wan and Yoda were the only Jedi to have survived the purge...only that the the Jedi were so diffusely spread out that they were ultimately of no help to one another whatsoever.

It is stated a couple of times. Obi-Wan says "Now the Jedi are all but extinct", Tarkin says "They're fire has gone out of the universe, you my friend are all that is left of their religion" and Yoda, the wisest being the galaxy "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be"

15. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    "All but extinct" doesn't mean only two, it just means very few. The handful trained Jedi look comes across would still qualify as almost none. And he didn't say anything about Force sensitive people who were untrained. :p

"They're fire has gone out of the universe, you my friend are all that is left of their religion" is delusional villain talking. Just because they say it doesn't make it true.

"The last of the Jedi you will be" is really more Yoda telling Luke that the duty of stopping the Sith and reestablishing the Jedi falls to him.

16. darthgetalife

darthgetalife Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2002
    My 2 cents:

I also find unlikely that all Jedi are extinct from the GFFA ? considering there are 10.000 of them and the time lapse between Ep3 to Ep4 is at best 18 years

But i also believe that Palpatine killed the most " new" force-wielders after he become Emperor ? somewhere in the EU it's stated .

But Lucas has a card in his sleeve, he has a way out : The Prophecy .

See we yet do not know the full extend of the Prophecy ? so i find believeable that is part of it that in order the Force got balanced again people should stop become a Jedi ( even Palpatine could manipulate that notion ).

See this is only a theory but maybe people could only begin to be trained as a jedi after the " chosen one" brought balance to it.

A clear thing to me is that at the time of the movies ( yes Ep. 1 to Ep6 ) the dark side is stronger ? Lucas said that in the AOTC DVD comentary .

So maybe there were no use to train any force-wielder while the Dark side was that stronger ? remember the vision of the Jedi were clouded at the end of the Republic, so why it wouldn't still at the begining of the Empire ?

So my point is basicly is that the Jedi order could only be reestructured after the "light" side become stronger again ? meaning after Palpatine is killed by Vader.

That also could explain why Vader's offspring would be so dangerous to the Emperor ? they the ones that help the chosen one to bring balance back to the Force ( and that's why they're the only force-wielders to be hidden ) .

But once again that's just a theory :)

17. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    And he didn't say anything about Force sensitive people who were untrained.

Now we get back to that argument earlier about whether Palpatine would get rid of the Force sensitive children. I think he would. :)

18. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    Then Leia would of been a dead woman if Palpatine killed the Force sensitive people.

19. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Thats my argument :p

20. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    First he has to find those Force sensitives. Luke sure had trouble tracking them down in the EU. :p

21. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    the way i always imagine it happening is that:

whenever a baby was born on a imperial ruled world (ie not tatooine) that baby is tested at whatever medical facility he/she is born in... i think palpy had some SS like hitler or stalin that went around with one of those midichlorian counters and tested the babies. even though they probably never new what the "count" meant, they probably just were told to deliver all babies with "x count on up" to palpy where they were dealt with by palpy himself or vader.

also i definetly believe that there are more jedi left from the purge. let us not forget that all jedi are not as powerful as luke or yoda or vader... we only see a handful of the jedi in the movies and those are the most powerful of the jedi... some are just people with some power that follow the jedi doctrine and those people should have had no problem hiding out and renoucing their powers.

when yoda tells luke "the last of the jedi you will be," i think he is speaking more symbolically about that after luke the jedi have no more chance at reestablishment,

"pass on what you have learned" that is the key here. Luke is the only chance because he can kill palpy and pass on the knowledge.

22. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    My point is that Leia was allowed to live. She served in the Senate. So I don't see Palpatine killing off the Force sensitives.

23. JediHunterCommand

JediHunterCommand Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    Oh, splendid... the debate has wandered into one of my favorite areas of speculation.

I think that there were a few Jedi around aside from Obi and Yoda. But the famous two that we know and love were among the most powerful, and they also had a long-term plan: wait for Luke to grow up, train him, and turn him loose on the Sith. It worked pretty well. But my point is, the only reason we saw them and no one else is that they were powerful and had a plan. Other Jedi -- weaker or without as much foresight -- would try to keep their heads down. I don't think there are many, at most a dozen or so, but they exist. Their hands are tied until after ROTJ, however, because they aren't powerful enough to take on the Empire, so they stay hidden.

And for tracking them down... well, I have outlines for stories I'd like to write about that, and both my username and my sig come from there.

About murdering children: well, if you believe as I do that there are still a few Jedi roaming around and evading detection in a huge galaxy, think of how many untrained kids could easily be hidden. Not everyone runs through the system.

Furthermore, Luke and Leia are born DURING the purge. In a time of chaos, when there are still Jedi to help them. I think most people are tested at birth, so if you slip them by the system then, they're scot free.

Finally, a word on the EU: the Jedi/other Force users coming out of the woodwork makes sense to me, but I'll agree with many EU-bashers that resurrecting the Emperor five or six times was just plain stupid. Hence my admiration for Timothy Zahn, who did not and still refuses to resort to such "parlor tricks," even when all his fans are begging him to. Zahn even has one of his characters cast doubt on the resurrected emperor story, saying she didn't believe it was him... and she would know.

Well, that was long-winded. Sorry....

24. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    Three times. They resurected him three times. :p

25. Vindaxxus

Vindaxxus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 29, 2000
    Yeah I think there were other Jedi around. I've been an advocate of that since I joined the boards.But if you do not have a Jedi Order can you really call yourself a Jedi. Like Ben said he was ONCE a Jedi. After the order is disbanded, others went to the far reaches of the galaxy. Places where they could not be found. Like Mos Espa in TPM was a hideout for those that did not wish to be found. After the death of the Emperor I know other ex-Jedi probably recognized the name Skywalker and went in search of Luke to help him reestablish the Jedi Order.

I read EU but there can be another way to look at it since most of the stories were written before the PT. So the story could be different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.