main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

No office for the Grand Moff?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by 4LOM, Jan 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    If I were Grand Moff Tarkin, I'd pretty upset. This huge, vast battle station gets built, you're put in charge of it...and then, you're told your personal office has to double as the conference room.

Check out the movie! Vader has a one-on-one audience with Tarkin twice after the big meeting where our favorite Dark Lord chokes the arrogant Motti...and both times, Tarkin is sitting by himself at that huge table! Maybe it doubles as his desk? Maybe to relieve stress he buffs the tabletop so it has that mirror-like sheen? Maybe he has a ton of paperwork and he needs that huge table to spread it out and organize it?

This is just one of those things about ANH I have always thought was kind of amusing.

2. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    I haven't seen ANH in a while, but from what I recall, I don't think that's his office. It's just a conference room, and I think it was used like that because of budget restraints. Besides, I don't recall any of the normal "office stuff" in there. :)

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Even if it is his office, a lot of high dignataries and military officers have a office/conference room hybrid. It makes it easier on the person to go from one thing to another quickly and efficently.

4. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Perhaps he was just already in there when Vader came to see him.

I can picture Vader going down to the fiftieth floor to Tarkin's quarters (or office or whatever), finding out he's not there, then having to go all the way back up to the conference room. haha!!

5. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    That's when a little-known Force power came into play, as revenge: Force Make-Him-Itch-All-Day
    irritated Wilhuff so much, he didn't even want to evacuate

6. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    If I were Grand Moff Tarkin, I'd pretty upset. This huge, vast battle station gets built, you're put in charge of it...and then, you're told your personal office has to double as the conference room.

There's just no benefit for being a member of an evil empire anymore :p

7. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Even if it is his office, a lot of high dignataries and military officers have a office/conference room hybrid. It makes it easier on the person to go from one thing to another quickly and efficently.

In most of the office buildings I've worked in, the top-level executives often have a conference table (or at least a conversation circle) in their offices. Many have a conference room in the next room over, accesible directly from their office.

8. 4LOM

Jan 9, 2004
    The thought of Vader wandering around looking for Tarkin is pretty amusing.

"Stupid space station...it has tractor beams, a superlaser, huge pointless bottomless shafts, cell blocks...but no paging system!"

Actually there is a paging system...you can hear it when Luke, Han, and Chewie are headed for the detention area. Wonder why you never heard any announcement regarding the intruders on board the Death Star? You would think that they would want even guys who don't have a built-in comlink (like the stormtroopers) to be in the know and keep their eye out for strangers.

9. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    Perhaps his office was split into 2 parts; an outer conference room, and an inner "personal office" which would be a place where he can work all by himself in a private, stress-free environment. Tarkin strikes me as being the type to value quiet time and privacy.

10. GMTarkin

GMTarkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2001
    The thought of Vader wandering around looking for Tarkin is pretty amusing.

"Damn this Death Star, why did Tarkin have to make it so big!? Now let me see what were the directions Motti gave me? First right after the tractor beam, then left by the Day Care centre..... No, that doesn't seem to be right it's a dead end to a reactor shaft..... Oooh, i've never been here before I wonder what they do? Wow, it's a Walmart! And they've got a sale on, ahhh, Tarkin won't miss me and I need to get some more helmet polish anyway"

11. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    Just a small thing about the conference table. It's actually a holographic command table, one very much like the table you see being used by the Separatists in AOTC. From there, all the high ranking officers on the station can command an entire battle if they so wish.

12. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002

But who's he gonna complain to? Palpatine's "office" in ROTJ had to double as the "Jedi/Sith Final Battle arena".

Hard times for the Empire, man...hard times.

13. 4LOM

Jan 9, 2004
    That's a holographic command table? Who knew? The budget probably got busted from paying for that table, and that's why Tarkin and the Emperor don't have better digs.

Either that or the contractors were still putting together Tarkin's office...putting in mahogany paneling, installing surround sound for his holonet, putting in a bar. I can see Tarkin lounging around in a terrycloth robe with GMT embroidered on the lapel, drinking brandy, smoking a pipe. A bad guy needs a good way to unwind.

Actually, when it comes to high-ranking Imperials, it looks like Vader has the best "office" of them all...on board the Executor, sitting in that private meditation chamber. I think he looked very comfy. But the Emperor had that sweet Lay-Z-Boy chair that rotated and had gadgets built into the arms. I want a chair like that!

14. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    I guess that the movie technology wasn't there at the time to make the holographic images. Not only that, but I think GL was too broke to make fancy imaging effects like those seen in both ROTJ and AOTC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.