No Other Choice ( JA, Obi, Qui, angst, h/c) - Promise kept, updated (1-30-03)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Antigone, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CYNICAL21 Jedi Master

star 4
    Antigone - I had actually forgotten how much I enjoyed this fic - and your writing - because, let's face it; it's been a while. If I recall correctly (and my memory is full of holes so don't quote me here) did you mention, a while back, that you don't visit this site much any more? (A result, perhaps, of an unpleasant interlude involving she-who-shall-remain-nameless, AKA, the plagiarist?)

If that's the case - and if you DO occasionally drop by just to see who's hanging here - why not give us a little sign - a single 'Up', maybe - to signify that you're not going to leave this dangling. You're not, are you? And, if dangled here, is it up somewhere else?

PM me if you prefer - but there's just got to be a resolution to this dilemma. :D

CYN
  2. Jovieve Jedi Master

star 4
  3. ROGUE_49 Jedi Master

star 4
    Are you alive? That's all we want to know.

Actually- we'd like to know if a post is coming soon too.
  4. Jovieve Jedi Master

star 4
    I've asked around, no one seems to know where she's gone.

Hope she's ok.
  5. Jovieve Jedi Master

star 4
    Oops, just saw her post 1/27/03 on another fanfic.

She's alive! :D

Hopefully she'll be around soon.
  6. menilma Jedi Master

star 4
    Alive and kicking you say? Marvellous news! :D Hey Antigone, we're still waiting here!
  7. Antigone Jedi Knight

star 1

I like you guys. :D

I'm sorry that I haven't been a better author - if there was a social service office for fanfics, this one would have been seized and placed in foster care months ago.

I did think about this fic, about three weeks ago, AND I began to write a chapter. Well, the first sentence of it anyway - "Yellow is a calming color."

The sentence stayed there, in an open word document, for a few days. Gradually, I began to add to it, laughing at the rate I was typing - something like one sentence a day - guiltily pondering how long it would take to finish the scene I had in my head - two weeks? two months?

Finally, I had enough time to write down half of it - a flashback to a more amusing time in Obi's life - leaving the document open on my desktop, so as to remind me to FINISH IT. To add in the present time angst that seemed to fit perfectly in my head.

A day after I finished, my laptop froze and I, thinking that the auto-back up of my Word would save the unsaved chapter, manually restarted the thing. The next day, I returned, thinking I would just fix up the flashback and post, leaving the present part to be written that weekend...Opened Microsoft Works and the word processor included in that only to remember that Microsoft Word was the wp that had the back up in it, not the look alike wp in Microsoft Works. A string of words that shall not be written for sake of the PG rating of this board escaped my mouth, I slammed my laptop closed, still cursing my laziness in not reinstalling the Microsoft Word which was deleted from my computer when I sent it in to have the plugs replaced - why they felt the need to delete my memory in order to replace charging plugs escapes me entirely - went downstairs, and ran on the tredmill to release some frustration.

I honestly haven't had the motivation to retype the chapter since. And, in an effort to lessen my guilt, have avoided this thread since...but you all deserve better treatment than that, and I apologize.

After an hour and a half of mind-numbing biology tomorrow, I have absolutely nothing to do, save sleep, which I have the weekend to stockpile on. I WILL rewrite it tomorrow. You WILL have it - I can't keep doing this, putting it off. I will feel so much better once I get it out. :D You'll all probably have to reread the entire fic to remember what the heck is going on, but at least there will be something new up. Tomorrow. Look for it, it will be here. I will shoot for one EST, so what, 10am the board time? Maybe I'll even type it up tonight, as writing this little AN is making me slightly more appealed to the idea of writing...

Again, I'm so sorry for the wait, and thank you for your concern. :) It's sweet that, given my past love affair with procrastination, the question of if I'm okay can still come to mind.

You WILL get it tomorrow. I WILL break this horrible little habit of promise making/breaking.

Thanks for keeping this thread kickin'.

~Antigone

8. Master_Comedy_Kitty Jedi Master

star 4
    I understand. I left all my readers on this huge cliffhanger and i haven't written for months either. I just...don't feel inspired. Post when you can.
  9. CYNICAL21 Jedi Master

star 4
    Trust me, Hon - we all know that life can be a real witch - which is how the PG rating demands that it be said. But you have been much missed, and your gifts are much too precious to allow them to languish unused.

Write when you can - but, for God's sake, write.

CYN
  10. Captain_Observant Jedi Knight

star 2
    She's Alive...And she's gonna post!!
    What more could I ask for?!!!! :D
  11. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    Good heavens- I think her explanation was longer than her last post [face_mischief]
  12. Antigone Jedi Knight

star 1
    I did it! Ah, it feels good to have kept my word - perhaps I shall try it more often. :D This is a rewrite of the flashback I mentioned - extremely different from that which I wrote before, but I think I like this version better, so perhaps the deletion of the original was a blessing in disguise. In the disguise of an incredibly frustrating computer glitch, but a blessing nonetheless.

Short, a page and a half/three-quarters in Word, but something to put out there. Hope you enjoy, whoever is still reading this after my rather lengthy break... :D

Yellow is a calming color.

He had told Obi-Wan that once. It was a few years before, on a mission to Urgan VI, and during one of the few completely lucid stays the padawan had ever spent with healers. Somehow, of all the swimming ponds made accessible to the guests of Urganian ambassador, Obi-Wan had chosen the sole pool not treated for human use. The result: a very irritating, very itchy, very red - but non-life threatening - full body rash. With the amount of lotion which had to be lathered on his skin and the number of times daily the task needed to be done, it was simply easier to place him in the care of those medically trained rather than subject the padawan to his master?s fumbling ministrations.

Qui-Gon smiled sadly in remembrance.

* ` * ` * ` * ` * ` * ` * ` * ` *

?Obi-Wan, stop that.?

The boy glanced at the man sitting next to him, his arms pushing further under the starched sheets as his fingers discretely ran their nails over the length of his med-center issued pajamas, roughly rubbing the coarse fabric into his reddened skin. ?What, Master?? he asked, feigning innocence.

?Stop scratching and eat your food.?

With a sigh, Obi-Wan pulled his hands out from beneath the covers and picked up duristeel spoon, swirling the beige liquid-solid contents of the bowl in front of him with the tip.

?This isn?t food. Food has color, smell, taste - and a consistency that does not mimic the mush Master Tregon feeds his lizards.?

Qui-Gon shifted in his chair and scrolled down on the data pad he was studying, ?Eat your mush, then.?

Obi-Wan slowly lifted the spoon to his mouth and licked its contents off, nose crinkling in distaste. He forced down another bite and turned to Qui-Gon, ?Master, how long until I?m released??

The man hesitated a moment, reading a final sentence, before powering down the reader and placing it on the small nightstand separating his chair from his padawan?s bed. ?A few more days, I suppose,? Qui-Gon smiled, ?Why? Bored??

?Yes, unbelievably so.? He bounced back against a pile of pillows with a grunt, ?My muscles feel as if they?re about to explode with all the pent up energy I have.? Flexing his shoulders, Obi-Wan continued, ?There is a limit to how long I can sit here, staring blankly at the yellow walls, before I go completely insane from lack of stimulation - physical or otherwise.?
    The master laughed, ?Padawan, yellow is said to be an extremely calming color. Why is it that it has no effect on you??

Obi-Wan smiled and shrugged, ?Just lucky, I guess.?

* ` * ` * ` * ` * ` * ` * ` * ` *

Since that mission, every time Obi-Wan entered a med-center room painted yellow - a color choice surprisingly common among the various planets the pair had visited - he in someway made reference to its ?calming? effects. A pulse of energy across the bond, a comment, accompanied by a impish smile.

It was their private joke - and a private reassurance to Qui-Gon. Not once, despite the gravity of injury - save for the unconscious - did Obi-Wan fail to do SOMETHING in reference - the consistency of the action comforted Qui-Gon, slightly easing his worry for his apprentice. Calming him.

Yet, for the past hour he had sat with his apprentice, watching the boy as he stared at some fixed point upon the yellow wall opposite the small cot, and there had been no communication - no reference.

That frightened Qui-Go
  13. Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've been a horrible lurker here [face_blush] but I'm glad to see that this was updated.

I very much enjoyed the flashback, it was nicely done and poignant. :(

Hope there's more soon. :)
  14. Master_Comedy_Kitty Jedi Master

star 4
    Great post Antigone! Worth the wait. :D
  15. Cascadia Jedi Master

star 4
    Obi-Wan's withdrawing into himself, away from Qui-Gon. :( It's good that Qui at least realizes that.

Thanks for the update, Antigone! [face_love]
  16. Sheila Force Ghost

star 4
    So glad to see an update here. Great post! I liked the flashback with the difference between the way things were and the way they are now. So heartbreaking to see Qui-Gon so worried and Obi-Wan retreating into himself. :(
  17. Jovieve Jedi Master

star 4
    YES! A post!

Sad though. Does not bode well if Obi-Wan is so far gone, so turned inward. Sad that that one little sentence could mean so much and would have brought a Jedi master so much comfort in his sorrow.

Looking forward to more.

We're sticking like glue, Antigone.
  18. LuvEwan Jedi Master

star 4
    OOOoooooohhhh.

That was so good. Wonderful idea, with the yellow walls, Antigone.

Always worth the wait.

;)
  19. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
  20. Captain_Observant Jedi Knight

star 2
    It's a Miracle!!!! A new post!!!!!
    Great Job by the way!!!! I am just very glad that this is not Dead!!!
    More Soon Please!!!!!!!
  21. ROGUE_49 Jedi Master

star 4
  22. Loryn_Wilde Jedi Knight

star 1
    ah-HAAA!!!!!! <--- that was me bursting back to life.

i forgot how i enjoy your writing... gosh. that brings me back. heheheh. we gotta talk more. [face_clown] that chapter was very bleak, megan. but in a really NICE way. you know?
  23. menilma Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh my, don't I feel a bit stupid? Here I've been waiting for a post and when you finally post one I don't even notice it :) Anyway I did notice now. And the post was very nice, first warm but then turning ice cold at the ending. Not good. However, yellow is a calming color? Over where I live most hospitals have weakishly green walls. Very ugly, and I'd actually like yellow better. :D
  24. Siri_Kuimini Jedi Knight

star 1
    *New Reader*

You have a new reader who just spent a sithly amount of time reading this fic, which was so engrossing it resulted in skiving off a tutorial and not concentrating on french coursework.

Are you proud of that Antigone?? ;)

Please write some more asap.
  25. Red_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 3
    i know i read the first.. maybe 3 chapters somewhere but it wasn't here... i'm sooo happy this story is not dead. i was worried for a while but i can see it's all gonna be okay!

YEAH I FOUND IT!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.